New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 30 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak GAME STARTED (opening post on pg 3)

Rules:

Each Day Phase, as well as pointing (this will not normally (detailed in ‘Infection’) lead to the creation of a new zombie), every player may either FORTIFY the barricades by writing ‘fortify’ in bold green, or SCAVENGE for supplies by writing ‘scavenge’ in bold blue.

Fortifying:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Survivor spends the day shoring up the barricades in an attempt to stave of the zombie hordes that attack each night. If you choose to fortify the barricades you add +1 to the total capacity of the barricades for the day and may stay within the safety of the fortification for that night. Staying in the barricades provides almost 100% protection from zombies at night (but not from night kills or any other night action). If there are more players in the fortification than the capacity players will be picked at random to be kicked out of the barricade until numbers in the barricade are equal to the capacity for that day. Spots in the barricade may be given to others by PM to the narrators; this can be an anonymous action.

Scavenging:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Survivor spends the day rummaging through the wrecked premises of nearby shops, looting whatever they can find. Scavengers can choose to look specifically for one of four types of item (written in bold blue):
    Armaments
    Medicine
    Information/surveillance
    Miscellaneous

The name of the item will be noted in the end of day post, what it does will be pm’ed to the player who found it.

Items are arranged in five tiers ranging from:
    Incredibly helpful
    Very useful
    Quite useful
    Moderately useful
    Almost useless

With moderately useful items being the most common.

Each Night Phase, the zombies become more active and assault the barricades with a far greater vigour trying to reach the juicy living meat cowering within. Any poor soul unlucky enough to find themselves outside the barricades (or in a barely fortified area, in game terms they are the same) will also be at risk from the undead horde as it hungers for flesh.

The game will start with a set number of zombies, dependant on player number. Each night every zombie will attack one random player to a certain extent, varying from instant death and reanimation (the number of zombies that will attack the survivors each night then increases by one) to infection or even escape unscathed. Various items will help or hinder defence against a zombie attack at night as specified in their description.

Infection:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are two stages of infection before a human succumbs and will eventually stalk the land as the undead. At the start of the game, any player can be infected with either stage. During the game any player can become infected if attacked by a zombie.

Dormant infection: This kind of infection is caused by small amounts of blood or saliva from a zombie getting into a human’s bloodstream via a small cut or graze. It is almost impossible to tell when you get infected in this way, so those infected will not be informed of their infection.

The result of this infection is that when the infected human dies, of any cause of death, they will soon rise from the grave and come back as a zombie, this includes death by vigilante or lynching.

Malignant infection: This infection is caused by a massive influx of the zombie virus into a human’s system, normally caused by a zombie bite. It is hard to miss this kind infection, so the infected player will be informed of their infection.

This form of infection can be fatal if not treated quickly. If the infected player does not get cured of their infection within three full game days of their infection they will succumb and quickly return as the living dead. If killed at any point in those three day by other means that the infection the player will still rise from the grave adding one zombie to the number assaulting the barricade.

Roles:
    Spoiler
    Show

Innocents:

Spoiler
    Show
    Survivors – just a regular Joe (or Jane) caught up in the end of the world, trying to stay alive.

Day actions: Vote for who they think is a cultist or infected with the virus. The person with the majority vote will be thrown out of the barricades to the zombies. They may also either:
    Fortify the barricades
    Search for supplies

Winning conditions: Primary: survive without having a malignant infection when the game finishes. Secondary: throw all cultists out of the barricades.

All survivors have one of four additional Bonus objectives according to additional personality trait. These are: Planner, Hypochodriac, Hoarder and Pacifist. Note that the bonus objective is not really important, it is just for something to aim for. Remember: surviving is more important that achieving your bonus objective.

The Idiot – Idiots think they’re doing the right thing, but they are invariably not.

(players will not be told they are an idiot, they will get the Survivor role pm)

Actions and winning conditions as civilians with the following additions:

Day actions: Idiots are bad at pretty much whatever they do.
    If an Idiot fortifies the barricade there is no increase to the capacity of the barricade. If an Idiot scavenges, they will receive an item one tier lower than they would normally.

Teenage Lovers – These two are madly in love with each other, a mere moment apart seems like eternity. If one lover dies, the other will follow them to the afterlife (or undeath), taking one of those responsible with them.

When one lover is killed the killer (zombie, cultist, vigilante, last person to join the lynch) is also killed/destroyed in a fit of rage as the second lover hurls themselves to their doom.

Day actions:
    If both lovers work on the barricades two additional spaces are created for that night.
    If both search for supplies they find a total of 3 items

Night actions:
    If the lovers hide in the barricades, they can chose to take up only one space (pm to the narrators if chosen to do so), however if there are not sufficient barricade spaces, they will be the first thrown out. Get a room!

Doctor – The resident medical practitioner of the mall; more used to children with mild concussion than cannibalistic dead guys, but still a fine man to have around when people start getting infected.

Day actions: The Doctor may pm the narrators with the name of one player (other than themselves) they wish to heal at any point during the day phase. At the end of the day phase said player will be completely cured of any level of virus infection so long as both the Doctor and patient are still alive. The doctor may not scavenge and use this ability on the same day.

Night actions: The doctor may protect one player other than themselves from a zombie attack using the last of their medical supplies. Two uses only.

Nurse – The nurse is highly capable in any crisis, be it a grazed knee or gnawed skull. They have the skills to and knowledge to look after those in need if the doctor isn’t around.

When the Doctor dies, the Nurse gains all the remaining abilities of that role for the remainder of the game.

Day actions: The Nurse may pm the narrators with the name of one player (other than themselves) they wish to heal at any point during the day phase. At the end of the day phase said player will be completely cured of any level of virus infection so long as both the Nurse and patient are still alive. The Nurse may not scavenge and use this ability on the same day. One use only. When the Nurse inherits the Doctor’s ability, they lose this one.

Gun nut – The Gun nut has a love for all things violent and explosive. They’ve got a massive collection of guns, big ones, small ones, ones the size of your head and will never go anywhere without at least a side arm on them. The gun nut acts as a vigilante due to their access to large amounts of firepower.

Day or Night actions: Once per game the Gun nut may select a player, either by pm to the narrators or by writing the name of the player in bold in one of their posts. This player will be killed unless some other item or ability protects them. The loud noise of the gunshot however is not so great, and once this ability is used one additional zombie will appear in the village as they are attracted by the sound of delicious life.

Night actions: the Gun nut will survive their first attack from a zombie unscathed as they can easily drive off zombies with their firearms.

Police officer – The police office is an upstanding citizen who has sworn to protect the innocent of this town. Perhaps they come across as draconian, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Day actions: Once per day the Police officer may arrest two players (two players MUST be selected for the ability to work) with their police department issue handcuffs, by sending two names to the narrators. Both of the selected players may not take any actions other than pointing (including scavenging or fortifying, role abilities and items) for the next night phase and following day phase, but will be protected from other players’ abilities and items for the duration of their arrest (they also have a reduced chance of being attacked by zombies as the Police officer will protect them. If the Police officer dies any players currently under arrest will be released.

The Cult:

Spoiler
    Show
    Cult Leader – The Cult Leader is complete psychotic, they believe that the arrival of the undead marks a turning point in mankind’s spiritual journey. The righteous will greet the horde of dead with open arms and be blessed with eternal life; those who resist just delay the inevitable. The Cult Leader believes that it is their duty to help those wandering from the path the Leader has foreseen back onto the path of enlightenment and undeath.

Actions as civilians with the following additions:

Day actions: Instead of fortifying the barricades the Cult Leader can sabotages them. If the Cult Leader fortifies the barricades they may also pm the narrators saying they wish to sabotage. In this case, instead of adding one space to the capacity of the barricade, two spaces are taken away.

Night action: The Cult Leader uses secret brainwashing techniques to induct a new member. The Cult Leader pms the narrators with the name of a player, this player is then converted into a Cultist and loses all previous role based abilities (but retains items). This newly inducted cultist also gains this ability and the Cult Leader loses it. (this means that there is only ever one member of the Cult who is able to induct new members. If they die before inducting someone else this ability is lost). Only a maximum of four cultists may be recruited in total.

This ability will work on any role in the game, even the lovers. If one of the lovers is inducted and is subsequently killed the non-cultist lover will still take revenge and kill themselves. If the non-cultist lover dies, the cultist lover will not avenge them or kill themselves. All the other lover abilities will stop working for both lovers (as they require both lovers to act together).

Winning conditions: Primary: The number of cultists equal or exceed the number of innocent players (at this point the cultists will have enough power within the barricade to throw everyone to their deaths at the hands and mouths of the zombie hordes) Secondary: Finish the game whilst infected with some stage of the zombie virus.

Cultist – Cultists are those brainwashed by the Cult Leader into believing that death at the hands of a zombie is both glorious and wonderful. These deluded individuals will stop at nothing to make everyone share the joy undeath.

Actions as civilians with the following additions:

Day actions: Instead of fortifying the barricades Cultists can sabotages them. If a Cultist fortifies the barricades they may also pm the narrators saying they wish to sabotage. In this case, instead of adding one space to the capacity of the barricade, one space is taken away.

Winning conditions: Primary: The number of cultists equal or exceed the number of innocent players (at this point the cultists will have enough power within the barricade to throw everyone to their deaths at the hands and mouths of the zombie hordes) Secondary: Finish the game whilst infected with some stage of the zombie virus.

The Narrator(s) may or may not have withheld additional roles and information from the list above.

Final notes: please do not exchange role PMs, as this removes an important aspect of the game. Feel free to claim whatever role you like, though.

The setting of this game is the real world (+zombies) so could players please refrain from roleplaying anything in anyway magical or non-human. Roleplaying is however encouraged. I might even leave some items around for those with particularly impressive roleplay going on… cough.

If there’s anything you’d like me to clarify, please say. If you have any suggestion, please voice those too. Even accusations of producing a broken game system I will accept (grudgingly )

SIGN-UPS CLOSED

Player list

Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Player name
    Fin
    banjo1985
    Night Surgeon
    The Bookworm
    Dirk Kris
    pondshadow
    Quintis
    Fleeing Coward
    Supagoof
    Uncle Festy
    Murska
    smellie_hippie
    Szilard
    PirateMonk
    Opeth_Freak
    Recaiden
    Phase
    Selrahc
    Evnafets
    Hyozo
    ThePhantom
    Mustiado
    GAThraawn
    happyturtle
    Aemoh
    Deathslayer7
    billtodamax
    horngeek
    banthesun
    Kyouhen
    Mechafox
    Jontom Xire
    Oddity
    Connor Darkdart
    Lamech
    Reinholdt
    kopaka
    Catseye2121
    Face of Evil
    Talic
    St. Nil
    Atreyu the Masked LLama
    arb514[/table]

38/43 players

There are 6 zombies.

{table="head"]Name
    Farm hand
    Farmer
    Mayor
    Face of Evil
    Night Surgeon
    PirateMonk
    Quintis[/table]
    Last edited by Dr. Bath; 2009-07-11 at 06:38 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak (recruitment open)

In, with Cake!

Edit: Yeah, I'm first! This is the game I have been waiting for my whole Giantitp life. I joined the boards because of Pwenet's version of this, I then realised that recruitment was well closed and the game nearly finished!
    Last edited by Fin; 2009-06-23 at 07:40 AM.
    Waiting for that day, when we all have the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Kris View Post
    I'll never trust you again. Even if we're on the same team. Even if the narrators tell me to.
    Monkeytar by me!/DYF Avatar by Mr Saturn!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm so incredibly in I'm almost out again...but not quite.

Red will be back from the first game. Reports of his death at the hands of the Zombies at the end of the last one have been greatly exaggerated.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm so in, I almost forgot to use grammar.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm very in.

WW Game Roles:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Played: 21
    Devil: 1
    Wolf: 2
    Wolf Alpha: 1
    Co-Narrator: 2
    Narrator: 1
    Villager: 13
    Other (Weird): 1

Trophies
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

A Bath-run zombie game?
    Yeah, I'm in.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dirky by Beans!
    Officially putting in for an extended leave of absence.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

I am in without hesitation.
    Moleotar done by lindorm

I remember the Myrka as menacing, unstoppable and well-nigh indestructible. Nowhere did I describe it as a four-legged beast on loan from Panto-Horses-Are-Us

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Completely in.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Count me in.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    He's Fleeing Coward. The man could be a cookie-baking, cancer-stricken orphan kitten and still look like a reasonable suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I would advise people not to trust FC just on principle. Even if he's on your team, confirmed by the narrator.

10. - Top - End - #10

In like Fin!
    I'm usually late to the party, but it's a great time when I get there....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-kat View Post
    It wasn't that easy. Supagoof's just that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Summary:
    Supagoof has won the game and withdrawn. He was Epic

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Love the Avatar Bath, it is very topical!

@ Supagoof, how can you be in like me? I thought you were helping to narrate!?
    Last edited by Fin; 2009-06-23 at 09:53 AM.
    I'll never trust you again. Even if we're on the same team. Even if the narrators tell me to.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fin View Post
    Love the Avatar Bath, it is very topical!

@ Supagoof, how can you be in like me? I thought you were helping to narrate!?
    I've realised that I've made this so complex from a narrators standpoint that coordinating with a second narrator almost certainly won't be worth it. Just means there may be one or two hiatuses at certain points during the game. (also a whole load of the information I have written out is on paper. smooth moves, me.)
    Last edited by Dr. Bath; 2009-06-23 at 09:55 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

AAAAAAAAAHHHH!
    Not sure I fully understand how the game, you know, works, but looks fun. In.
    Quote Of The Week Whenever I Feel Like Updating It (last updated 1/17/12)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase
    That guy was badass! He was like, "Oh! Oh, you're gonna try to Chuck Norris me, I'll just Chuck Norris you!" Unfortunately, I am the best Chuck Norris since Chuck Norris.
    Which is saying something, considering that Chuck Norris... was Chuck Norris.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    I've realised that I've made this so complex from a narrators standpoint that coordinating with a second narrator almost certainly won't be worth it. Just means there may be one or two hiatuses at certain points during the game. (also a whole load of the information I have written out is on paper. smooth moves, me.)
    I had never heard back that the Dr. wanted me to narrate, and looking more at the rules this just seems to much fun to pass up. Plus, it looks like he wants to run it alone.

Don't worry though, I'll be sure to send in some death scenes, if not only for me but for other people as well. That should help the Dr. keep things going/remove some stress for getting updates done. Plus, if I end up as a villager, it'll keep me on my toes.

Q. How do you make a WW game even more fun?
    A. Write someone else's death scene!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Summary:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

In, stealing Fin's cake.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

In, stealing Fin's cake.
    Your just grumpy because you died in Hair of the Werewolf! So I'll let you have a slice... but then give the rest back!
    Last edited by Fin; 2009-06-23 at 11:36 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Can I play? I was ready to swear off WW games for a looooong time but I'm going through a zombie phase right now. So... I can play?
    Unofficial Brew-Meister in the playground. Just ask!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    Items are arranged in four tiers ranging from:
    Incredibly helpful
    Very useful
    Quite useful
    Moderately useful
    Almost useless

With moderately useful items being the most common.
    That's five tiers.

Haven't read all the rules yet, but I'm in.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    That's five tiers.

There's 3 kinds of people in this world.

Those who are good at math.
    Those who aren't.

Oh, and Dr. Bath - that is a fantastic avatar!
    Last edited by Supagoof; 2009-06-23 at 12:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    Summary:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Your just grumpy because you died in Hair of the Werewolf! So I'll let you have a slice... but then give the rest back!
    Yeah, you got me lynched for no reason at all!
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

21. - Top - End - #21

Since I seem to be signing up for every game in sight and this looks fun, in.
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you surmise it's wise to have laser beams emitting from your eyes?
    -They Might Be Giants, "The Lady and the Tiger"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

What can I say? In of course
    Halloween Angry Clown William Wallace by Elder Tsofu. Idea inspired by Geesi. Thanks guys!

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

My WW roles so far:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games overall: 19
    Mason: 3
    Something weird: 6
    Villager: 11
    Wolf Disguiser: 1

Games I won: Paranoia III, S.E.U. IV, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Werewolf Classic IX

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Definitely IN!

QUESTION: How do villagers win? Is there a finite amount of zombies? Or is it just when the cult is killed?
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2009-06-23 at 02:06 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh HELL YES. Sign me up, Bathy. I'll roleplay your metaphorical socks off.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Once we are dead can we continue to role-play as Zombies!

Will previously Zombiefied players be included in living players death scenes?

Can my character keep a pet Zombie in his shed?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll join up. Although having to fight the zombies will be hard... Must resist urge to join them.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    Oh HELL YES. Sign me up, Bathy. I'll roleplay your metaphorical socks off.
    *jawdrop*
    Phase? In a werewolf game?
    YES!
    Quote Of The Week Whenever I Feel Like Updating It (last updated 1/17/12)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase
    That guy was badass! He was like, "Oh! Oh, you're gonna try to Chuck Norris me, I'll just Chuck Norris you!" Unfortunately, I am the best Chuck Norris since Chuck Norris.
    Which is saying something, considering that Chuck Norris... was Chuck Norris.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sign me up for this one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Definitely IN!

QUESTION: How do villagers win? Is there a finite amount of zombies? Or is it just when the cult is killed?
    Winning conditions: Primary: survive without being infected. Secondary: throw all cultists out of the barricades.
    Last time there was a set number of turns. So I think surviving for X turns (when the cavalry arrives) is how it works - though its not mentioned in the rules.

Of course do you really expect any survivors from a Zombie game?
    Check out past werewolf games at the Unofficial GiantITP werewolf archive
    Also wasting too much time playing Evony right now.
    I don't wanna be a llama or a duck or a wabbit.
    I wanna be a POODLE!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    That's five tiers.

Blah blah blah corrected. That'll teach me to write up rules at 2 in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    There will be a finite number of days, which will appear during the narration, although once the cult is destroyed the survivors can pretty much survive indefinitely if everyone fortifies the barricade.

Once we are dead can we continue to role-play as Zombies!

Will previously Zombiefied players be included in living players death scenes?

Can my character keep a pet Zombie in his shed?
    Yes.

Yes. The ones who died but do not rise again as zombies will appear in the day scenes, whereas those that become zombies will be a specific zombie that attacks at night.

No. Unless your name is Shaun.

30. - Top - End - #30

I'll join this one too.
    Avatar by Vulion. Vectored by me.