New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,483 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40k III - Hats for the Hat Throne

The Space Marines it comes with are weak and poorly outfitted, compared to the Orks squared off against them. At least, that's how I understand it.
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemons of Chaos are definitely a one-star-for-newbs. Part of the reason I decided to play them was because one of their main themes is "You know all those fancy rules you learned from reading the ABB/BBB? None of them apply to us! ".
    Last edited by Arcanoi; 2009-12-05 at 01:57 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ogre in the Playground

Assault on Black Reach is by no means a bad set for space marines players. Not in the slightest.

No it doesn't have everything you need to start, but how can anyone argue with even just a dreadnought and 5 termies for the price your paying?
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I have a question about paints for the painting of miniatures.

Is there by any chance a cheaper alternative, or are Citadel paints the only ones that can be used? Just wondering.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    It seems cheaper than buying the components individually at least.
    Crown of Thorns and MountainKing have hit both nails of my argument on the head. on the head. It's not a good beginning army (which, I think you should get in a 'Starter' Box), and the Orks are just so much better. Partly because they are a good beginning army.

Value-for-money isn't the issue. The issue is Unit Selection. When you finally grab a Codex and start playing 500, 750, maybe even a thousand point games, you'll hate what you've started with.

I consider AoBR a 'booster set' for Space Marines. It contains a bunch of units that you might want, at some stage, but never actually bought to start up your army.

Quote Originally Posted by Myatar_Panwar View Post
    No it doesn't have everything you need to start, but how can anyone argue with even just a dreadnought and 5 termies for the price your paying?
    Emphasis mine. You've like...Made my point for me beginning your argument like that. AoBR is a Starter set, and doesn't even come with a 'starter' army. Except for the fact that it contains some different units for a player to get used to.

The Space Marine Battleforce, however, rocks the house as a 'core' army. Especially because they come as multi-part models rather than snap-together models. And, it's actually useful.

My advice to anyone, is play AoBR in the store to learn the rules, but never actually buy it. Unless you want the Orks. The Orks are awesome.

Is there by any chance a cheaper alternative, or are Citadel paints the only ones that can be used? Just wondering.
    There's probably a cheaper alternative somewhere. But, Citadel has range in what colours you can get. Citadel paints are also see-through (Foundations not included) to a degree. And that helps to get some fun colours. Like, you can tell when something's been undercoated white or black. Also, most painting tutorials are done using Citadel paints, I know I'd get frustrated if I wasn't using Citadel paints trying to get my guys to look like the guys on the page. Paints are fickle beasts trying to get colour and consistency right. With Citadel, you (usually) know you're getting a good product.

Also, Page 50, anyone have any ideas for the title of the new thread?
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-12-05 at 06:50 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I found the best way to buy AoBR is with a friend to trade parts. I got marines, he got orks, we both got the compact rule books. Everyone is a winner.

As for a new thread name,

Warhammer 40k IV - Needs more Troop Choices
    Warhammer 40k IV - 1500 points of Fun
    Warhammer 40k IV - Shoot the Big Ones
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ogre in the Playground

I wasn't trying to say that AoBR is some amzing starting set for space marines.

But saying that buying assault on black reach is a bad idea for either space marines or orks is crazy talk.

Lets look at the facts:

1. You get a rulebook. KIND OF A BIG DEAL.

2. You get a bunch of models you could very well use in your army. The standard tac squad it comes with is fine. I don't see why you don't like that set-up. Compared to the other models, the dreadnought also looks pretty ****ing good. And you can remove the multi-melta if you hate good guns.

Edit: Space Marine Battleforce + Captain (need an HQ) + Rulebook + Codex = 189

AoBR + Codex + Battleforce= 190

Just something to think about, if you are going to start playing.

If you are going to start a space marine army and already own a rulebook and a grasp on the game, then yes, you might want to consider skipping AoBR.
    Last edited by Myatar_Panwar; 2009-12-05 at 07:58 PM.
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Step Two View Post
    Warhammer 40k IV - Needs more Troop Choices
    Warhammer 40k IV - 1500 points of Fun
    Warhammer 40k IV - Shoot the Big Ones
    surely we can do better than these... maybe a chaos reference, what with four gods and four threads...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I have a question about paints for the painting of miniatures.

I hear a lot of people swear by Vallejo and others by Reaper paints. I've used all 3 and I can't really say there is an appreciable difference between them that I can see with my skill level. They all have a wide range of colors, but not necessarily the same colors, but generally something at least close.

The indepth comparisions I've read generally shows one brand has some colors better while another brand has a different set of better colors. I know reds, yellows, and metallics are big in that (browns, blacks, and blues generally have good coverage all the time) but I couldn't say which ones each does better. I didn't buy the same color from each brand to compare. Both Vallejo and Reaper have the dropper bottles rather then pots, they are all about the same price but Vallejo and Reaper have about 30-50% more paint to a container.

Both Vallejo and Reaper skill carry inks, but neither of them carry washes like GW, although they are similiar both have their advantages and disadvantages in some areas. They also both have addatives like glazes, slow-dry, flow improvers, and stuff like that. Not much use to new painters but in the hands of someone that has figured out how and when to use them they can help do amazing things (fading, transitions, blending, etc.)

There are some other brands, but for the most part those seem to be the most common model brands. TheWarStore.com carries all 3, which is where I get most of my paints.

I know some people use the AppleBarrel paints from WalMart, though I personally haven't tried them. The models I've seen that use it on weren't very good but I'm sure that says more about the skill of the painter then the quality of the paint. The way I see it though, is that if I'm going to be spending hundreds of dollars on models and similiar number of hours on the models it doesn't make sense to potentially compromise quality to save $2.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Anyway, if nobody minds, I'm going to set up the next thread sometime soon, getting my 'Newb Guide' into the OP. My favourites include;

WH40K Tactics Thread IV - Now with more Infiltrating Troops
    WH40K Tactics Thread IV - Now with more Sniper Rifles
    WH40K Tactics Thread - Heavy IV, Rending
    WH40K Tactics Thread 4th Edition - Updated Codex Not Included
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ettin in the Playground

How about
    WH 40k IV: In the Grimdark Future there is only Tactics

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

New Thread found within. Name susceptible to change when I or someone else can think of a good one.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: This thread has reached 50 pages. Please see the new thread linked above.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex