New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

It may be that I also have ADHD (although that was diagnosed by a parent, but the fact is, most of the family seems to have it.

Colors are no problem to me (except in places where they would drive non-autistic people nuts as well), but noise... One loud noise isn't too bad. But fifteen+ different conversations being carried out at decibel levels a drill sergeant would envy is another story.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

I'm really not fond of large groups, for quite a few reasons, but loud noises are among them.

Loud noises really mess me up, this was unfortunately also true one schoolday when my bike drifted out into the road enough for a van driver to persistently honk his horn in annoyance...

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    I'm really not fond of large groups, for quite a few reasons, but loud noises are among them.

Loud noises really mess me up, this was unfortunately also true one schoolday when my bike drifted out into the road enough for a van driver to persistently honk his horn in annoyance...
    Weird, the only trouble I has with noise is because I have a hearing problem
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post

People use their horns to much. They're supposed to be used only as a warning device (and, here in the midwest, to scare deer into moving after they stop in front of your headlights. Stupid deer).

The only time in my 3 or so months of driving I've wanted to honk my horn was last night, when some idiot on her cell phone walked across the rode and didn't look at all. My heartbeat went up a lot. I should have honked the horn there, but, I was too scared* to think of it at the time.

*That I'd almost just hit someone.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    ...those who suffer from Asperger's Syndrome...
    Excuse me? You have better think real hard about that sentence, pal.
    Squark: I actually also have ADHD, and have been diagnosed. It's funny, because I don't act like most AS people act because of the additional disorder.
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2009-08-24 at 12:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    Excuse me? You have better think real hard about that sentence, pal.
    Dare I ask why? I don't think the term "Suffer" is insulting to those with asbergers, but then again I don't have it, so I can't really speak for them.

It's just odd, you rarely see people taking offense to being described as Suffering.

Also, I've decided that the Kaysto's are onboard Ship.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-08-24 at 12:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Dare I ask why? I don't think the term "Suffer" is insulting to those with asbergers, but then again I don't have it, so I can't really speak for them.

It's just odd, you rarely see people taking offense to being described as Suffering.

But we aren't suffering, I seem to gain from it even though I can't really see why the psychologist diagnosed it (well she is a professional so maybe it's just me)

Suffering is a negative effect, if we don't have problems because of the syndrome then we of course don't want people to think so (same thing as saying you suffer from being yourself really)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Banned

AS is not something to suffer from. It is a trade off. I am happy to have AS, as without the I would be a different person. To say one suffers from AS is like saying one suffers from having an art style. Would I say MM suffers? Or you? Or Rich Burlew? No. Ergo, you do not say someone 'suffers' from AS.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

AS is not something to suffer from. It is a trade off. I am happy to have AS, as without the I would be a different person. To say one suffers from AS is like saying one suffers from having an art style. Would I say MM suffers? Or you? Or Rich Burlew? No. Ergo, you do not say someone 'suffers' from AS.
    Fair enough. You're more qualified to talk about it than I am.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

10. - Top - End - #880
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah Almighty salmon may not be around that much but saying someone suffers from him is a bit far.
    Awsome avvie by Fayt
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    *vows never to be a jerk again*
    The Fire Within:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, someone does "suffer" from Asperger's syndrome, since people with it have impairments in social and communication skills and restrictive and repetitive patterns of behavior. I don't believe you can argue that those things are really positive.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-08-24 at 02:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    Actually, someone does "suffer" from Asperger's syndrome, since people with it have impairments in social and communication skills and restrictive and repetitive patterns of behavior. I don't believe you can argue that those things are really positive.
    Trust me, with my classmates it's a plus to be unsocial.

But I'm not affected by any of the symptoms, I can speak normal with my friends (though restricted by my hearing impairment which I actually suffer from) and I don't see any restricting patterns of my behaviour either (not saying they aren't there just that I can't see it) Being diagnosed Aspergers has actually been a bigger bother than the actual syndrome itself.

If you don't know what it's like then don't assume stuff.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

From the look of things, only a person with AS can say if they are "Suffering" from it or not, and that each person will have their own opinion.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-08-24 at 02:37 PM.
    [/Center]

14. - Top - End - #884
    Banned

As I said, it's a trade off. AS people are often smarter than most people. Ergo, it isn't good or bad, but just a personality trait that has been found to be common.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

From the look of things, only a person with AS can say if they are "Suffering" from it or not, and that each person will have their own opinion.
    Agreed...

Next topic please!
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2009-08-24 at 02:56 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Troll in the Playground

AS people are often smarter than most people.
    What. Are you sure?

17. - Top - End - #887
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    What. Are you sure?
    Uh, yeah.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ogre in the Playground

Asperger's syndrome does not grant any advantage or disadvantage in intelligence over non-afflicted people. It's one of the important characteristics.

However, AS people are very focused at one thing at the expense of others, making them exceptionally good in a narrow section of abilities or knowledge. Individual cases may vary, of course, but that's what the disorder does.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-08-24 at 03:14 PM.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

That, while perhaps scientifically accurate, isn't telling the whole story. A fair number of people with AS, do, in most respects, end up "smarter" than other people. If my experience is anything to go by, we have better memories for facts (which a depressingly large number of people seem to think means "smart"), we can recognize patterns well, and the like. We just suffer when it comes to apply these things to people. And, in my cases, names. Seriously. It's a wonder I remember my screen name on this forum is Living Topiary
    I've always wanted to make that joke. Although Ideally, I wanted to do it in a group of people, so I could use my real name, and keep the joke funny.
    But this discussion has the potential to get a bit... heated. May I reccomend we move on?
    Last edited by Squark; 2009-08-24 at 04:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Bugbear in the Playground

Eh, unless we really attack one group or the other, I can't see it being anything more than educating each other on AS... But I could see how you could be getting uncomfortable. I'd say that sounds true to an extent, though probably because of the focus, as Mad Mask has said. I can't say I really know anyone with AS, though, so I wouldn't be the most reliable source, and I've really only picked this up through assumptions.

Perhaps people with AS are also more enthralled by thinking games such as DnD, as well as art; there seem to be a large number of AS people on this forum :P

That is all.
    Last edited by Wreckingrocc; 2009-08-24 at 04:30 PM.
    The artist formerly known as Tired N' Drowzy, master of puns.

21. - Top - End - #891

Anyway, I finally decided to make Sinister Penguin's FI bio.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sinister Penguin

Sinister Penguin is one of the ALF's more effective spellcasters. He also happens to be an evil, psychopathic penguin. No one seems to be particularly bothered by this, though, and he is certainly not the strangest member of the ALF. He focuses mostly on evocation and conjuration spells, making him a useful asset in ranged combat.

Sinister Penguin showed up on the ALF's (metaphorical) doorstep out of the blue one day, asking to join. A few dead Peacekeepers later and he was accepted to the orginization. However, no one seems to know anything about his exact motives or history, and it appears he intends to keep it this way. One thing can be said about his motives, however: he is fiercely devoted to the cause of the ALF, and looks to be determined to destroy the UNA by any means necessary.

While he is a fairly powerful sorcerer, he has several weaknesses, many stemming from his penguin body. Perhaps most importantly, he is frail and almost completely useless in direct, nonmagical combat; the best he can do is peck his enemies. He has difficulty manipulating objects due to his lack of hands, so he must use the Telekinesis spell very often. He also moves fairly slowly without magical aid. His penguin shape does confer one noticeable benefit (besides inherent cuteness), however: he is an excellent swimmer. He is also very aggressive, sometimes to a level that can be dangerous to himself.

Sinister Penguin also wears a coat and a very nice hat. No one is entirely sure why.

As always, comment and criticisms are welcome. I may add more later.
    Spoiler
    Show

ABR signature by Darklord Bright.

22. - Top - End - #892

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterPenguin View Post

Sinister Penguin also wears a coat and a very nice hat. No one is entirely sure why.

As always, comment and criticisms are welcome. I may add more later.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guy With The Hat, XKCD
    Because if you wanted to stay lost forever, you made one mistake. You took my hat. I like my hat.
    Kopaka in a former life.

Avatar made with "help" from banthesun.

23. - Top - End - #893

Quote Originally Posted by Kopaka View Post
    I...don't actually read xkcd, beyond a few pages whenever some links to it. Am I missing something here?

I mean, I understand that it's a reference to the hat, but is they're something beyond that?
    Spoiler
    Show

ABR signature by Darklord Bright.

24. - Top - End - #894

Sorry, it's just the first thing I thought of after seeing your post, for some reason. It's a reference to these comics:

http://xkcd.com/374/
    http://xkcd.com/377/
    http://xkcd.com/405/
    http://xkcd.com/432/
    http://xkcd.com/433/
    Kopaka in a former life.

Avatar made with "help" from banthesun.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Banned

....non-afflicted....
    That's it. One more comment like that and I am leaving. You are doing this on purpose now, and you have no idea how angry it makes me.
    This conversation is really upsetting me, I would prefer that we drop it.
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2009-08-24 at 10:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Look, could we all just agree to disagree, drop the subject, and move on to more ABR-relevant subjects before a Rand-style drop out occurs?
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

27. - Top - End - #897
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Grem, stop it. No one here is victimizing you except yourself.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mechafox View Post
    Grem, stop it. No one here is victimizing you except yourself.
    MAN you're a jerk! Whenever I am offended, or just act offended as a joke, you come in here and call me a whiner.
    I have every right to be offended. And right now, you are reminding me why Rand left. MM ignored my previous statements that I did not believe AS to be a 'curse' and continued to call it such. I am not the only one offended by it, either. But for some reason, you are offended by my very existence, and whenever I am seriously arguing, you come in and insult me without reason or basis. So with all due respect (which, given my current mood, is none at all), shut. The Expletive. Up.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hoooookkkkkaaaaayyyy.

So, whose going to do the next Sea Scoundrels. Or FFF comic, you know, so we could get FI started finally...
    [/Center]

30. - Top - End - #900
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

MM's doing the next few FFF comics, since I suck horribly at action scenes.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)