New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: KataraAltinaII's Premature Not So Short & To-The-Point Random Banter #130

Quote Originally Posted by DD the Cookiemonster View Post
    Grats, Destro. Welcome to the world of legal drinking.

What?

Yes?

Yeah, I am 16.

That's the way the law goes in The Netherlands.

drinking is overrated. I don't see what the big deal is.
    "The Mormons were right."

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: KataraAltinaII's Premature Not So Short & To-The-Point Random Banter #130

Quote Originally Posted by toasty View Post
    Hmm...
    Lord of the Rings (it counts as one!)
    Memories of Ice, by Steven Erikson
    The Black Company by Glen Cook
    The Hitchhikers Guide ot the galaxy (I have the all in one version, so it counts as one. )
    Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson
    Dune (?) I haven't read it but I want to
    That's six... hmm... I dunno what else. I seemed to have stopped reading since i entered high school, its sad really. I love reading, just don't seem to have time or it... I need to make time.
    There is always time to read. It helps that I'm the Goddess of the Written Word and Koorilithulu and thus able to bend space, time and everything else to my whimsy; but nonetheless, there's always time to read.
    By the way, I love saying 'whimsy' out loud. It sounds so funny. And whimsical.

Quote Originally Posted by toasty View Post
    So yes, I have an exam on War of the Worlds this week. 49 points worth of questions, 51 points worth of essays (4 essays) all to be done in 1 hour 45 minutes.

Also: its 12:07AM; bed time.
    Good luck on that. I didn't particularly mind the book myself; the radio drama is excellent (first reading of), but as a book it's okay. Special enough, but not outstanding.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    There is always time to read. It helps that I'm the Goddess of the Written Word and Koorilithulu and thus able to bend space, time and everything else to my whimsy; but nonetheless, there's always time to read.
    By the way, I love saying 'whimsy' out loud. It sounds so funny. And whimsical.
    I agree completely, I personally own over 30 fantasy novels, ranging in length from 200 to 800 pages, and have read most of them at least 3 times each. I spend more time reading than I do doing any other pass time.

Read. It all comes from reading. I'm a terrific bibliomaniac and have been since before I began school. It doesn't matter what: newspapers, DnD sourcebooks, instruction manuals for console/PC games, poetry, sci - fi, trashy Mills&Boons (romance), textbooks, celebrated 'classic literature', fanfiction, modern books, fantasy, comedy, biographies, essays. Just read.
    It made me. It my my various writing styles and it bleddy well made my spelling so good and my vocabulary so varied and 'advanced' for 'someone my age'.
    It's still my main hobby, and when writing, be it a forum post (whether it be my 'thing stalking Thufir' ones; my rambling rants, my defensive arguments etc); an essay; pastiches of genres/artists in stories and my shipfics; letters; emails and so on, it helps so much.

PEOPLE OF THE WORLD! READ!
    The above is my response to this as well, I don't know where I would be without books.

I humbly request to be you cleric Curly, Godess of the Written Word, that I may spread your message to read more to all those who chose not to read and embrace your teachings.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2009-10-14 at 12:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Orc in the Playground

bad news, people...
    I changed my Avatar.
    "The Mormons were right."

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KataraAltinaII View Post
    bad news, people...
    I changed my Avatar.
    Imagine that, I also changed my avatar.

6. - Top - End - #1236

Quote Originally Posted by rpgsr4me View Post
    I agree completely, I personally own over 30 fantasy novels, ranging in length from 200 to 800 pages, and have read most of them at least 3 times each. I spend more time reading than I do doing any other pass time.
    >.>
    <.<
    I have over 1 200 books. Not including the three or four hundred I 'gave' to my sister, the sixty or so I 'gave' my Elder Younger Brother or the few dozen or so that rest in my parent's collection.

The above is my response to this as well, I don't know where I would be without books.

I humbly request to be you cleric Curly, Godess of the Written Word, that I may spread your message to read more to all those who chose not to read and embrace your teachings.
    Hey, I'm the Goddess. The two chief High Priests (they swap hats on alterate weeks) are Thufir and Helgraf, so ask them first.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ogre in the Playground

Mah toof hurts. The gum's shrunk an stuff cos I wasn't able to take care of myself properly when ill. Owowow.

@KataraAltinaII: Is it meant to be Avatar based? I don't recognise the character.
    Last edited by Dr. Bath; 2009-10-14 at 01:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1238

Mah toof hurts. The gum's shrunk an stuff cos I wasn't able to take care of myself properly when ill. Owowow.

@^ Is it meant to be Avatar based? I don't recognise the character.
    I'm going to be unusually obtuse.
    What? No. You know you based my avvie off'f Pokemon. EDIT: CURSES! Foiled by the EDIT button.

Also: try salt water, it helps aches in mouths. I don't know why the gum'd shrink though.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-10-14 at 01:16 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ogre in the Playground

>.>
    <.<
    I have over 1 200 books. Not including the three or four hundred I 'gave' to my sister, the sixty or so I 'gave' my Elder Younger Brother or the few dozen or so that rest in my parent's collection.

Wow, 1200 books, awesome. Do you have a room lined with library shelves to hold them all? To have a room like that is my goal for the, most likely distant, future.

10. - Top - End - #1240

Wow, 1200 books, awesome. Do you have a room lined with library shelves to hold them all? To have a room like that is my goal for the, most likely distant, future.
    Boxes. I have many, many boxes under my bed; by the window and a three shelf bookcase double lined with books (I could fit forty slim books in one line on a shelf, so average capacity of each shelf is around sixty three) and some other things too.
    But boxes are your best friend. And you have more floor space.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Ogre in the Playground

Ninjas. Why does it always have to be ninjas.

The gum shrinks cos it's not healthy, my dentist warns me about it alla time. I have not inherited easy to look after teeth (genes).

Also: Aww. Only four out of twenty discworld football cards... At least I got the Librarian and the Luggage.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ogre in the Playground

Boxes. I have many, many boxes under my bed; by the window and a three shelf bookcase double lined with books (I could fit forty slim books in one line on a shelf, so average capacity of each shelf is around sixty three) and some other things too.
    But boxes are your best friend. And you have more floor space.
    I'm guessing with so many books you don't reread too many of them.

I have the perfect memory for rereading books, a bad one. When I reread a book I remember the basics of it but the little details, and sometimes big ones, come back to me as I read. This is good because I always have something to read when I can't get to a book store or a book will take a while to get in in the library.

13. - Top - End - #1243

Which ten books (sci - fi/fantasy related) would you take with you to a desert island? An island from which you will never return for various, unexplained reasons.
    Interesting. Off the top of my head:

1. Complete Works of Shakespeare (Some of the plays have fantasy elements. I say it counts.)
    2. American Gods - Neil Gaiman
    3. Good Omens - Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman
    4. Dune - Frank Herbert
    5. Doctor Faustus and Other Plays - Christopher Marlowe (Again, fantasy elements: in Faustus)
    6. I, Robot - Isaac Asimov

7... If I continue stretching the restrictions with things that are just related through some of the contents, I can find some big collection of poetry that includes Hunting of the Snark, along with other good stuff. Ooh, poetry - that reminds me:

8. Paradise Lost - John Milton
    9. Watchmen - Alan Moore

10... Does Nation count as fantasy/sci-fi related?

Rereading this list is slightly painful. There are so many books I love which aren't on it. I can't match Curly's collection of books, but I have a decent number and I've read considerably more. To be restricted to 10 would be horrible, even if they were really good.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Interesting. Off the top of my head:
    Rereading this list is slightly painful. There are so many books I love which aren't on it. I can't match Curly's collection of books, but I have a decent number and I've read considerably more. To be restricted to 10 would be horrible, even if they were really good.
    It would be pretty bad to only have 10, even more so if your a fast reader and finish all of them quickly.

Ninjas. Why does it always have to be ninjas.
    Why do people say ninjas? I've come across this several times and I'm not sure what it means.

15. - Top - End - #1245

My dream house includes a decent sized room which will just be a library. Nothing but books, and something to tell you where to find the book you're looking for.

I have the perfect memory for rereading books, a bad one. When I reread a book I remember the basics of it but the little details, and sometimes big ones, come back to me as I read. This is good because I always have something to read when I can't get to a book store or a book will take a while to get in in the library.
    I have a very good memory for books. Years later I can remember minor details, and sometimes even word-for-word quotes. But then I still delight in rereading them, because knowing what happens doesn't carry the same immersion in the story. I want to say more, but I can't find the right words to eloquently describe the wonders of reading.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ogre in the Playground

@toasty: ODd that. I'm going to a sci-fi/fantasy bookclub later on tonight. And it does movie weeks too. I get to see Watchmen and Coraline. Today's tricky though:
    Which ten books (sci - fi/fantasy related) would you take with you to a desert island? An island from which you will never return for various, unexplained reasons.
    You and your Oxford ways! Our Sci Fi/Fantasy society just played Jenga and Sci Fi/Fantasy pictionary in a bar. Also I was thrown in a black hole repeatedly.

People don't like Jar Jar Binks apparently. Who knew?

@rpgs4me: Uh. It's a [BLANK]ninja (I can't remember the proper term). And refers to people saying things before you got to, either making what you said obsolete or plain confusing.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    I have a very good memory for books. Years later I can remember minor details, and sometimes even word-for-word quotes. But then I still delight in rereading them, because knowing what happens doesn't carry the same immersion in the story. I want to say more, but I can't find the right words to eloquently describe the wonders of reading.
    I have to agree with you there, even if it doesn't apply to me.

Thanks for the info Dr. Bath

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Well, it's late night and I am playing F.E.A.R, and damn doesn't that game scare heck out of me. I end up wasting full clips of ammo on nothing...and it's pretty hard on normal fights too. Has anyone else here played it?

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim ranger View Post
    Well, it's late night and I am playing F.E.A.R, and damn doesn't that game scare heck out of me. I end up wasting full clips of ammo on nothing...and it's pretty hard on normal fights too. Has anyone else here played it?
    F.E.A.R. was very, very G.O.O.D...
    "Maybe I'm Gigachad?"

20. - Top - End - #1250

Have the ninjas started stalking you through the nearly empty and totally quiet office building yet?

Or having to walk through the pitch-bloody-black hallway just waiting, waiting for something to jump out and make you wish you'd brought fresh pants?

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    Have the ninjas started stalking you through the nearly empty and totally quiet office building yet?

Or having to walk through the pitch-bloody-black hallway just waiting, waiting for something to jump out and make you wish you'd brought fresh pants?
    Indeed...but Alma is the one bringing the most shivers. I mean, she could kill me right on the spot if she wished so, but noooo, she has to play with my fears like twisted parody of a cat....

And I think that the part on water treatment plant where you are being ambushed from elevated position was awesome. I managed to hide just before the lights came back on and I heard the enemies freak out at my sidden offscreen teleportation. Then I jumped out and shot them all while in slow-mo...ah, good times.
    Last edited by Grim ranger; 2009-10-14 at 02:42 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Ogre in the Playground

People don't like Jar Jar Binks apparently. Who knew?
    Tim Bisley knew. *nods, sagely*
    And don't you forget it!
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

23. - Top - End - #1253

Indeed...but Alma is the one bringing the most shivers. I mean, she could kill me right on the spot if she wished so, but noooo, she has to play with my fears like twisted parody of a cat....
    Wait until the end sequence.

I was drunk, it was late at night, and I had been playing for over 3 hours. I damn near fell out of my chair...

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Barbarian in the Playground

Simu-ninja to fill in the [blank].

Short for simultaneous.
    I'm usually late to the party, but it's a great time when I get there....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-kat View Post
    It wasn't that easy. Supagoof's just that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Summary:
    Supagoof has won the game and withdrawn. He was Epic

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Ogre in the Playground

Never played it before, doesn't sound like something I would play though. I'm more of a RPG guy myself.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Dwarf in the Playground

^ As your name states!
    And I've never played F.EA.R, but if I were to, I fear (hehehe, get it...=] ) that I would have constant heart attacks, because from what I've heard stuff pops out at you. A lot.
    Well wasn't that fun? Daaaaandyliens...
    Spoiler
    Show
    If anyone would like to make me a banner with my elven druid dude in a dandelion field making dandelion chains, that'd be.....nice.....

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm saving up to buy a couple of golden oldies to satiate me in this featureless void you people call a sky. Which should I get, Morrowind, or Knights of the Old Republic?

28. - Top - End - #1258

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    I'm saving up to buy a couple of golden oldies to satiate me in this featureless void you people call a sky. Which should I get, Morrowind, or Knights of the Old Republic?
    Morrowind. I've never played KoTOR, and I hear that it's good, but Morrowind.
    I can't imagine a Star Wars game being better than it.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

Morrowind. Join the Imperial Cult and go beg for money.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Ogre in the Playground

Morrowind. Join the Imperial Cult and go beg for money.
    And then get arrested by the guard. Spend time in prison, and repeat until bored.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨