SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: The Age of the Warriors - a ToB expansion book idea

Just dropping a Link to Sohei Adept.
    Your criticism/suggestions welcome.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

nice. Added to the list.

I leave the actual class criticking to the pros.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    Oh, and a thought–would anyone be interested in seeing some Epic Martial Styles? I'd come up with an idea for doing them a while ago, but never actually implemented it.

I would love to see some epic martial styles. Heck, I just wanna see more styles by you.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

at the moment, I think I'm going to leave the epic level stuff out of the project.

for one, I just don't see too many campaigns going into epic without it falling apart very easily, and considering the existing material out there often doesn't support epic level play very well either, I don't feel that effort put towards this is going to see a huge payoff.

Of course, feel free to write up stuff and what not. I'm just saying I'm thinking that for now I'm going to leave it out of the book.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Banned

Hmm, I don't see why it'd be a problem. It's not like pixels are expensive...

Actually, that brings up another issue - what's the format of this? I was thinking a Wiki would be best, but it sounds like you're thinking of a .pdf - both have their advantages, but it makes a big difference for things (like how trivial it is just to include everything).

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

First off: I think epic stuff is actually a great idea. There's not enough content for epic play out there.

Second off: I think a .pdf with nice presentation would be awesome, I'd love to have it as close to being an official book as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Lower levels arcane spells are usually a drag, but lower level psionic powers are often just higher ones waiting to be augmented.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

at the moment, I'm just throwing everything I have into a word doc for now, just because it's easier for me to manipulate. But yeah, I was thinking more of an actual PDF of some sort.

Wiki is not a bad idea either. I think Surgo's D&D wiki can fill the same role. But with that I'm not nearly as good with manipulating the content organization and all that.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jokey665 View Post
    First off: I think epic stuff is actually a great idea. There's not enough content for epic play out there.

Second off: I think a .pdf with nice presentation would be awesome, I'd love to have it as close to being an official book as possible.
    Well, since I guess a couple people want to see it, I'll whip up some rules for epic disciplines, and Invincible Sword Princess style.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Well, since I guess a couple people want to see it, I'll whip up some rules for epic disciplines, and Invincible Sword Princess style.
    I have been waiting for this for ages.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Here's the rules framework. Once I figure out some of the math, I'll get ISP up.

Epic Martial Disciplines

Epic martial disciplines are the fighting styles of the most powerful warriors and swordsmen in all creation. Powerful secret techniques wielded by gods, archfiends, and epic heroes, they represent the absolute pinnacle of the Sublime Way.

Learning Epic Martial Disciplines
    Every epic discipline has an epic feat associated with it, called an initiation feat. Once an epic character has taken the initiation feat of a discipline, he gains the ability to learn the maneuvers of that epic discipline. Unlike normal maneuvers, epic maneuvers must be learned individually–each one has a unique XP cost and training time to learn. Learning even a single epic maneuver is an arduous quest for the mightiest of heroes, as they must seek out a master of the discipline to learn it from. Such beings include deities, demon princes, and things far more strange. Without such a mentor, the training time required to learn an epic maneuver is doubled–and even then, the pinnacle maneuver of an epic discipline can never be learned without a mentor. As with normal martial maneuvers, a martial adept must meet certain prerequisite number of maneuvers known from the same discipline to learn epic maneuvers. Each discipline has a single “pinnacle” maneuver, one that requires all other maneuvers of the discipline to be learned before it can be mastered.

Using Epic Maneuvers
    Epic maneuvers are readied and initiated differently than normal maneuvers. Whenever a martial adept readies his maneuvers, he may choose a single epic martial discipline to ready for that day. Doing so readies all epic maneuvers of that discipline that he has learned. They do not count towards his normal maneuvers readied. Each readied epic maneuver can be initiated once per encounter–they cannot be recovered by any means. The martial adept may enter epic stances of his readied discipline as if they were normal martial stances, save that no ability or effect can ever allow him to gain the benefits of any other or second stance at the same time as he gains the benefits of an epic stance. Epic maneuvers do not have a level, but are treated as being of 10th level for all purposes. The saving throw against an epic maneuver has a DC of 20 + the listed ability modifier, although many epic maneuvers list ways in which their DC can be increased. All epic maneuvers are extraordinary abilities, unless otherwise listed.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-12-09 at 10:23 AM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

I think a .PDF is more professional than a wiki. Then again, a wiki seems easier to host.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zovc View Post
    I think a .PDF is more professional than a wiki. Then again, a wiki seems easier to host.
    .pdf's aren't that hard. We find a download place, stick it there, give folk a link. Yahtzee.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Colossus in the Playground

So, if I understand you correctly, instead of making epic maneuvers of existing styles, like other people have suggested, you say we should make new, epic styles, which would work similarly to epic spells?
    Last edited by Eldan; 2009-12-09 at 10:42 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    So, if I understand you correctly, instead of making epic maneuvers of existing styles, like other people have suggested, you say we should make new, epic styles, which would work similarly to epic spells?
    Yep. I'm treating existing martial disciplines as complete styles–no new maneuvers, at any level. Instead, you get the unique fighting arts of supreme warriors.

15. - Top - End - #105

Goblin

.pdf's aren't that hard. We find a download place, stick it there, give folk a link. Yahtzee.
    Not quite as easy as "finding a download place," a lot of places have (understandable, but) inconvenient limits on things such as registrations, bandwidth limits, file size limits, et cetera. Also, I imagine there are places that claim some sort of rights to whatever you host on their site.

I've been considering messing with making .PDF files, so I'll start looking at authoring software and playing around with whatever I can get my hands on. I'll see how close to "WotC-style" formatting I can get (Columns, 'sidebars', tables, pictures).

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

...Dear malevolent dieties, this is... Awesome... Maybe I'll get to work on a Sublime monster or two...

Or maybe a Sublime PrC... Psionic class/Martial Adept never got any love...
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by Zovc View Post
    Not quite as easy as "finding a download place," a lot of places have (understandable, but) inconvenient limits on things such as registrations, bandwidth limits, file size limits, et cetera. Also, I imagine there are places that claim some sort of rights to whatever you host on their site.

I've been considering messing with making .PDF files, so I'll start looking at authoring software and playing around with whatever I can get my hands on. I'll see how close to "WotC-style" formatting I can get (Columns, 'sidebars', tables, pictures).
    Googledocs should work, actually.
    We would have to watch out with the pictures used in many of these PrCs and styles, though; most of them are probably not open source, and in the case of a "publication", there could theoretically be problems.

Edit: for Psi/ToB interaction, have a look at the Sleeping Goddess Discipline: it's for manifesters.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2009-12-09 at 10:52 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Googledocs should work, actually.
    We would have to watch out with the pictures used in many of these PrCs and styles, though; most of them are probably not open source, and in the case of a "publication", there could theoretically be problems.
    Google docs could work. I, personally, don't really care for them... I only use them for personal, portable endeavors.

I was actually hoping we could get our own artwork. :3

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Upload it to sharebee and call it a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Lower levels arcane spells are usually a drag, but lower level psionic powers are often just higher ones waiting to be augmented.

20. - Top - End - #110

Just an FYI, I know how to use, and have access to, autheroing software, so if you wanted I could make the info into a PDF. I could then just upload it to my Deviantart account (which, to my knowledge, can let you upload and let others download the PDF).

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Please tell me there's going to be Exalted references in here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, here it is. Balance may be a bit wonky, but it's a gem compared to epic casting.

23. - Top - End - #113

Okay, here it is. Balance may be a bit wonky, but it's a gem compared to epic casting.
    Well, what isn't

I'll go have a look at it.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Though it's ultimately Fax's decision if it's used, i profer a creature for inclusion: Bow-back Monkupine as the covered up origin of the Falling Star Discipline.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

nice. I like how embarrassing the actual creature is of an inspiration.

So how should we do the documentation for this? I mean, I wanted to just do a word doc converted to PDF, and have already started organizing the basic framework in the word doc, but it's very crude at this moment and so if people can figure out a better software, that's fine too.

Or should we just try to get it all onto a single doc, and then I'll pass it off to someone who knows how to do PDFs?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elliott20 View Post
    nice. I like how embarrassing the actual creature is of an inspiration.

So how should we do the documentation for this? I mean, I wanted to just do a word doc converted to PDF, and have already started organizing the basic framework in the word doc, but it's very crude at this moment and so if people can figure out a better software, that's fine too.

Or should we just try to get it all onto a single doc, and then I'll pass it off to someone who knows how to do PDFs?
    If you can put it into a document, I'm sure there are plenty of people who can get it in PDF form, decorate it like the books, etc. Concentrate on getting everything together first, and then go from there.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

alright then, sounds like a plan to me. Now it's just up to me to get it all in the book and organized.

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Though it's ultimately Fax's decision if it's used, i profer a creature for inclusion: Bow-back Monkupine as the covered up origin of the Falling Star Discipline.
    Actually, that gives me an idea for a new mechanic for learning maneuvers:

Find a creature epitomizing the style you want to learn and defeat it in single combat, unarmed. If you survive, you can learn the new manuever.

Thoughts?

29. - Top - End - #119

SolithKnightGuy

Mystic Cobra Style!

The first couple levels of my Discipline for pole-armists are up.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

heh, you said "pole-arm love". that's sounds dirty.

but seriously, looks promising.