New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Quick Draw as a Spell

If one was to make a spell with the casting time of swift or immediate that allowed a character to draw a weapon as if they had the quick draw feat would you rank it as a 0 level spell or 1st level spell?

I'm hoping to add something like this to my gish character

Thanks

Fizz

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Quick Draw as a Spell

Not quite what you asked for but how about this:

Loyal Weapon
    Abjuration
    Level: Sor/Wiz 1
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Weapon touched
    Duration: 1 hour/level
    Saving Throw: No
    Spell Resistance: No

You enchant a weapon to spring to your hand in times of need. This replicates the Quick Draw feat for that one particular weapon. It also allows you to make the weapon to fly to your hand from as far as 10-ft away as a move action, as long as the weapon is not possessed by another and there is no obstruction between you and the weapon.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I like the extra little "Luke TKs his light-saber to him" touch.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    Not quite what you asked for but how about this:

Loyal Weapon
    Abjuration
    Level: Sor/Wiz 1
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Weapon touched
    Duration: 1 hour/level
    Saving Throw: No
    Spell Resistance: No

You enchant a weapon to spring to your hand in times of need. This replicates the Quick Draw feat for that one particular weapon. It also allows you to make the weapon to fly to your hand from as far as 10-ft away as a move action, as long as the weapon is not possessed by another and there is no obstruction between you and the weapon.
    I like this alot. I might see if I can get this as an enchantment at some point! With this being 1 hour/level plus the Luke thing at 1st level would it be balanced to say that a quick draw once would be would be a 0
    level spell?

Fizz

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

There's already a spell in Magic of Eberron that does basically the same thing, called Indesputable Possession. I don't think it Quickdraws and only has a 10 minutes/level duration.

Casting time of 1 minute too...

I consider this more balanced personally. There's a +1 quality called Ready somewhere, that allows you to draw it as a free action and act in the surprise round. I'd assume that would be a level 1 spell, casting time 1 minute, duration 10/minutes per level.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!