Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Order of the Stick: The Manga

Really awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Quite simply epic.

*hopes the Giant will also drop in to voice approval*
    As far as I know, this is the most official position we have 'til now.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't mind this particular style so much except in the subjective sense that I feel it takes away from the comic in this particular instance. As an example, the anime (and I guess the manga as well) Slayers is, much like OotS, a heavy blend of drama and comedy, and the stylistic devices used tend to vary accordingly. The characters may suddenly be chibified and start sweatdropping or, on a famous occasion, exasperatedly hitting someone else with their sweatdrops, but those times are reserved for comedy breaks. When it's about drama, the style is, well, dramatic. And maybe I've just grown accustomed to it that way, but I feel that this is appropriate.

That's what I'm talking about it. On a more comedic occasion, I wouldn't have minded the exagerrated open-mouthed shaking sweatdropping at all. I just felt that in that one comic where Elan is trying to leap off the ship to go back to Haley - particularly given that it's part of a very depressing and dramatic book climax - the comedic depiction didn't quite belong.

Of course, once again, all a matter of taste. The reason I feel the need to nitpick about small things like that is because there really isn't anything LARGER to nitpick about. :P I'm also not asking to change your style, I'm just commenting.
    Last edited by Kaytara; 2009-12-21 at 04:33 AM.
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

3. - Top - End - #423
    Bugbear in the Playground

This art leaves me beyond speechless...

After taking about half an hour recovering, I noticed you have two spelling mistakes, possibly typos, I wouldn't know: in 449 (1), Hinjo says "There are some secrest that are..." and in 482, Durkon says "... than ye are fer 24 round, fancy shmancy..." I presume you didn't mean those mistakes to be there, but I love your art and would enjoy more of it if you do keep it up. Specifically, I would like to suggest you drawing strip #1, because that's the introduction to all the characters and it should convey their characters as it is the first time we see them.

All in all, if it hadn't been requested before, I would love to have a tsukiko avatar, pretty much like the one in the banner, shouldn't be too hard I think.

4. - Top - End - #424

Wow.

Elangune, you definitely have talent.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    As far as I know, this is the most official position we have 'til now.
    Here's to hoping the Giant remains as 'tolerant' of this as the link suggests he might, because this is great stuff and not meant to be destroyed by lawyers.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Pixie in the Playground

Wow, you made me dig up my account here just to say how impressed I am with this. Amazing. I especially love Haley; sure, this interpretation of her has no resemblance to her likely canon appearance, but I'm not here for stringent accuracy. If she had looked like that for the entire run of the comic I'm pretty sure I'd be more attached to her than the entire rest of the cast combined.

Everyone else is impressive too. The only one whose design I don't love is Xykon, who I don't think really looks evil or scary enough, but I guess that puts me in an extreme minority. I like how both the characters and action look. I especially love the detail given to the ghosts on the last page of 449 (especially that girl under Soon's sword arm). I certainly hope you're able to continue these without upsetting Rich, because the best case scenario I can see is him quietly looking the other way as long as you don't get too big (he'd have to be insane to actually endorse you, since some people would probably take that as a precedent).

As for future scenes, I'm gonna vote for anything involving Haley. That and I'd like to renominate 611, because we ought to see Belkar in action at least once and that is the most "in action" that he (or anyone in the comic) has ever gotten. Though I'm also curious about what he'd look like during the time when the Mark of Justice was active.

Side note: Oh my goodness, with six pages partially reenacted you're this close to being a whopping 1% of the way towards recreating the comic... or would be, if those were the entire pages (by length you've adapted a little under a fifth of strip 200, 3/4 of 61, less than half of 468, a third of 482, and one panel of 439. The only one you done in its entirety was 449, and that took three manga pages for a standard-sized OOTS page). Rich is probably quaking in his boots.

edit: Hmm, in light of all this "There's a million different manga styles", can anyone name a few that have a style similar to the one you're emulating? I think I'd like to read those.

edit2: Just a little funny side note, if that's how Haley thinks you're supposed to use a rapier, maybe there is a reason she doesn't carry a sword.
    Last edited by Brickman; 2009-12-21 at 03:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

THAT IS AWESOME ... how could I miss this? I can only dream to draw like this with more and more years of training... Mine don't even compare.

8. - Top - End - #428

Haven't dropped by this thread in a while. I don't even know what's going on right now. Am I allowed to continue with this, I think? Sure hope that I don't end up getting busted up with a cease and desist.

Anyway. Yeah. I've decided that if I can continue, I'll probably be sticking with my designs. I really don't want to spend too much time worrying about things - this little project was supposed to be a stress-reliever and practice on my manga drawing while I was at it. If I get too worried about sticking close to the source material, it'll feel more like work than play. It'll probably last longer if I enjoy working on it too.

As for the exaggerated facial features... I grew up alongside manga, you see. It's completely different in Asia as opposed to Western cultures. Every bookstore you went to had manga in the aisles, and every kid reads it. I grew up alongside these exaggerated facial features (the facial expressions in children's manga are even crazier), and so don't cringe at all when I see them. I can understand why some of you might feel differently, but please realize that manga originated in a different culture, and people have different experiences with it. If you want to read more mature manga, which lacks the exaggerated emotions and have deeper emotional depth, there are plenty out there. I personally suggest Pluto, which is totally awesome. It's one of the best Seinen manga I've ever read.

As for works similar to my style... I can't say for sure, but I have been inspired by a variety of works. My number one inspiration is One Piece, secondary Fairy Tail. If you take a look at them, especially their latest chapters, you can see just how far I have to go. A couple others that I enjoy include Negima, Hajime no Ippo... Well, I read way too much manga to list it all out here.
    Last edited by Elagune; 2009-12-21 at 03:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elagune View Post
    Haven't dropped by this thread in a while. I don't even know what's going on right now. Am I allowed to continue with this, I think? Sure hope that I don't end up getting busted up with a cease and desist....
    IIRC Roland said you're ok until Rich says otherwise. As long as you're not planning on redoing the entire strip.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

Haven't dropped by this thread in a while. I don't even know what's going on right now. Am I allowed to continue with this, I think? Sure hope that I don't end up getting busted up with a cease and desist.
    Well, the official line from Roland is here. Basically, don't do too much, give credit, don't distribute it anywhere else (which probably includes don't post it on Deviantart).
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

11. - Top - End - #431

BardGuy

If I understand the copyright law correctly, you're fine until you receive that cease and desist order unless they can prove some sort of blatant violation of the copyright (such as you selling your versions of his work). Fan works have a fair bit of leeway, mostly because it's not worth the author's time to go and shut down the myriad of non-profitable works out there (unless you're TSR, in which case the activity will destroy you as a company). Until Rich asks you to stop, you should be fine as long as you don't try to profit from his work or try to prevent him from profiting. In the meantime, your fan work serves as valuable advertising for the primary inspiration!
    Developer for the Sengai Jidai role-playing game, powered by FATE. Check out the latest progress at the development blog.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Pixie in the Playground

I can haz Xykon banner?
    I'm invisible! WooooooooOOOOOOOOOooooo!!! ~

Yes, I did make my avatar in Paint. I'm working on a replacement via InkScape, no worries!

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

I am sorry but it seems you missed my last post elagune

Can I please get a avatar?
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2009-12-21 at 04:09 PM.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

14. - Top - End - #434

I don't think he missed it, he just chose not to respond.

Speaking of which, the requests on this page as I see it (at least the most recent posts) were a Zykon banner, Redcoak avatar for DuskEclipse, a Tsukiko avatar for myself, and some strip drawings. I'd love for elagune to work on these, but I doubt he has any time to spare, so I'll practice my patience and wait. Patiently of course.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DuskEclipse View Post
    I am sorry but it seems you missed my last post elagune

Can I please get a avatar?
    Too many requests, so he stopped taking them. But if he ever starts again my Oracle avatar is first damn it
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

16. - Top - End - #436

I was actually working on that Redcloak avatar, before I realized that the image I had already was too low in resolution. If I put it into an avatar format, it's gonna look really, really terrible.

I'll wait until I have some better images before I get to work on anymore avatars. The Tsukiko one should be fine, though.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

I was actually working on that Redcloak avatar, before I realized that the image I had already was too low in resolution. If I put it into an avatar format, it's gonna look really, really terrible.

I'll wait until I have some better images before I get to work on anymore avatars. The Tsukiko one should be fine, though.
    Again sorry I looked too demading
    I will wait patiently
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

18. - Top - End - #438

Thanks, I was hoping that would work out, and I guess I should thank (most charmingly so) you for the very prompt response, and to maybe point again to the typos I pointed out earlier? (*cowers in corner and balls up* "trying to help, trying to help...")

19. - Top - End - #439
    Pixie in the Playground

Elangune, I really like... Most of it, actually, but your Redcloak is cool. Just promise you won't start doing freaky Redcloak X V art. Please. Why do people think that's a good pair!?

Also, I requested Xykon is a banner because he's too smexy not to get one. He's not even in the 'Team Evil' picture! (Which is completely whored by Tsukiko...)

EDIT: The typos you pointed out, (I merely speculate here), I believe are supposed to show accents. Maybe. Elagune?
    Last edited by FrozenOcean; 2009-12-21 at 04:42 PM.

Yes, I did make my avatar in Paint. I'm working on a replacement via InkScape, no worries!

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenOcean View Post
    Elangune, I really like... Most of it, actually, but your Redcloak is cool. Just promise you won't start doing freaky Redcloak X V art. Please. Why do people think that's a good pair!?
    A good writer can make any pairing work, and there are some very good writers going Redcloak/V.

It's also because they're actually fairly similar. They're smart, they have reasonable goals, they willingly sacrificed all they loved in attempts to reach those goals, and they have suffered greatly before and will again for refusing to admit error. The only tough part is getting them to not kill each other for the first 5 minutes.
    Last edited by Sstoopidtallkid; 2009-12-21 at 04:45 PM.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

I always thought Roy and Redcloak were more similar. The voices of common sense, with some persistent errors despite their otherwise high intelligence and wisdom, very strong emphasis on family, got into their quests for the wrong reasons but later had a revelation that motivated them to continue nonetheless, and so forth.

Back on topic: I linked this on the TVTropes forum, everyone there flipped out at how awesome it is (though there was some concurrence that it's not a style that would work well for the entire comic, so maybe it's just as well that that's not going to happen).

Also! My avatar is still awesome.
    Last edited by Haven; 2009-12-21 at 04:50 PM.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

22. - Top - End - #442
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Also! My avatar is still awesome.
    Totally agree. With both parts of your post.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Know what strip would be absolutly hilarious for you to recreate?

Oh my gods, Yor, I swear, you do NOT need to keep shouting out your attacks! This isn't manga!

24. - Top - End - #444
    Banned

i LOVE this fight scene. Kinda curious how you'd make it look.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Have you not come across the vast number of disturbing schoolgirls in manga?
    Nope, I haven't read much manga. But if it's a convention of the style I accept it, of course.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

26. - Top - End - #446
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Nope, I haven't read much manga. But if it's a convention of the style I accept it, of course.
    It certainly seems to be used a lot in some sub-genres.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

27. - Top - End - #447

Whew... Sorry about the wait, guys. Haven't updated this thread in a while because I've been preoccupied with others things, like submitting my fancomic. I've decided to take the plunge - looks like comics will be up either twice or thrice a week, depending. Hope you guys decide to check it out.

Anyway, that doesn't mean I've given up on this thread. I'm actually starting work on the next page already. And as for the avatars, give it time, guys. If I like a piece of artwork enough to colour it, chances are it's going to end up as an avatar.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Elagune: YOU. ARE. A. GOD!!!

This is one of the most awesome things I have ever seen. Love Tsukiko.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

Whew... Sorry about the wait, guys. Haven't updated this thread in a while because I've been preoccupied with others things, like submitting my fancomic. I've decided to take the plunge - looks like comics will be up either twice or thrice a week, depending. Hope you guys decide to check it out.
    Link, please? I can't seem to find the thread.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xavius View Post
    Link, please? I can't seem to find the thread.
    You need to wait for Alarra to approve it first.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.