New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #696 - The Discussion Thread

Since nobody mentioned it (at least in the first two pages) the accent in "vis-à-vis" is the other way around. You know, if you care.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Interesting to note that Elan, Haley and Vaarsuvius all survived Girard's little nuke. Kind of provides fuel for both sides of the "Girard is an idiot" argument, because if that explosion couldn't even take out V or Haley there's no way it would have hurt Soon--therefore, either Girard was being an idiot for placing such a weak explosion, or all the people who said the explosion was nothing more than a warning that was never intended to kill anyone are correct!
    Or the explosion was itself an illusion.

I mean, it's not like he's an Evoker.
    I gave up fighting, and stabbing and bludgeoning and stealing and bar-brawls and wenches . . . and it was the worst 10 rounds of my life - Jerry the Country & Western Bard.

WHY ISN'T HE JOLLY???

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    I didn't like Elan's message. Why the grammar is so awful? He's a bard, he should know his language up to the smallest shades of meaning: how comes that he cannot write it correctly?
    I can think of many extremely talented professional actors and singers who still text message like morons. I can also think of two who can't spell, punctuate, or capitalize for the life of them in any form of written word. It's odd looking, because people in those fields tend to have huge vocabularies and use very quaint, complex idioms. It's super-weird to see such a high-level piece of language horribly misspelled, but it absolutely does happen. One of these gentlemen specifically defended himself that as a performer, SPOKEN language was his business, not written. That could very well apply for Elan.

Hell, even for authors of the written word, I can't see why one has to hold them to higher standards of consistent spelling than Shakespear :P

You know, and rule of funny.
    Last edited by awibs; 2009-12-28 at 06:10 PM. Reason: typo

4. - Top - End - #124

If the explosion was an illusion, then how did Roy physically get sent flying?

Quote Originally Posted by Querzis View Post
    He did that while spliced. This really doesnt tell us his real hp.
    The strangling and second Meteor Swarm was after the splice got knocked outta him by the huge slab of stone.
    That aside, did the splices actually confer HP? Or was it a case of loads of arcane power = heavy LA?
    Thanks to Meirnon for the avatar
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Gag manga story by One, artwork by Murata Yusuke of Eyeshield 21 fame
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere View Post
    If the explosion was an illusion, then how did Roy physically get sent flying?
    I don't know, a very good illusion?
    I gave up fighting, and stabbing and bludgeoning and stealing and bar-brawls and wenches . . . and it was the worst 10 rounds of my life - Jerry the Country & Western Bard.

WHY ISN'T HE JOLLY???

6. - Top - End - #126

Another appearance of...

the stick.

Edit: After posting, I went through the thread and saw that I was indeed ninja'd multiple times.

I believe we last saw The Stick here, in the hands of Inkyrius.

I believe there have been more sightings, although I can no longer recall them. Does anyone know of a thread?
    Last edited by Boogastreehouse; 2009-12-28 at 06:35 PM. Reason: additional thoughts

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

Great strip. I think this is one of the best ones we've had in a while. I like how it has a little bit of everything.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Pixie in the Playground

Glad to see the new comic finally posted :D

V is my favorite character, glad to see he got dialogue ^_^

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

So, the strip was like...

A great disturbance in the Forum, as if dozens of Girard haters suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced when V survived

Seriously, the only lynchpin of their argument fell apart like a house made from cards
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I'll be honest, this was the weakest OOTS strip in a long time in my opinion. Wasn't particularly funny at all, and something seemed off - the pacing or something. I can say it is a rare occasion when I don't like a strip though.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Bugbear in the Playground

That one was the funniest in ages, nice giant!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    So, the strip was like...

A great disturbance in the Forum, as if dozens of Girard haters suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced when V survived

Seriously, the only lynchpin of their argument fell apart like a house made from cards
    Yes, V has never survived damage that by all plot logic should have been lethal before. Samantha never happened, Xykon's Meteor Swarms never happened. Whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

I love Belkar's smile when V tries to pull back from her explosion comment.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Banned

Temporary hit points.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ah Durkon...The good little Cleric. While the rest of the party is talking and making 'big boy' decisions, Durkon is in the background, saying nothing, healing them.

I also like the expression changes in the last two panels reflecting their different personalities as they react to '...and that would be wrong.'

=>
    =>
    =>

Elan, as always, isn't reactive. Probably doesn't understand.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-12-28 at 07:13 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    Yes, V has never survived damage that by all plot logic should have been lethal before. Samantha never happened, Xykon's Meteor Swarms never happened. Whatever.
    Aaaaaaand... how many of these things were low level spells, instead of epic-paladin-killing nukes?

Yes, even MS, as it happened to hit spliced/buffed V.

And what exactly Samanthad did, excuse me? Counterspelled much?

Oh, pretty much all of them? Whatever
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

So will Durkon ever get any sort of attention? He healed them, then we dont see him the rest of the comic.

I feel embarrased whenever I see him now.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That was a great strip. Practically a joke in every panel. Well done.

19. - Top - End - #139

Has anyone of the OOtS ever seen the ghost-paladin?

20. - Top - End - #140

I actually laughed out loud when I read the last panel. Nice!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a...

Neutral Good Human Cleric (2nd level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 11
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 17
    Wisdom- 19
    Charisma- 17

Jarlaxle and Auradin avatars by Teutonic Knight

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Have anyone conidered that Girard didn't actually wanted to kill Soon? If he did there would be no-one left to gard Soon's gate; something that he proberly didn't want. A explosion that was designed to merly annoy, and not kill, a epic paladin would both fit the strip, by not killing V, and the story by ensuring that the gate remains safe.

22. - Top - End - #142

MindFlayer

Ah. I get it now. The invisible raven thingy on 'V's shoulder told him it was wrong. Got it.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knellroy View Post
    Have anyone conidered that Girard didn't actually wanted to kill Soon? If he did there would be no-one left to gard Soon's gate; something that he proberly didn't want. A explosion that was designed to merly annoy, and not kill, a epic paladin would both fit the strip, by not killing V, and the story by ensuring that the gate remains safe.
    Telling Soon, "I'm freely disregarding the oath and so is Serini, I want you dead, hahaha!" and blasting him not hard enough to kill him--or, worse, killing whoever he sent as a messenger--would be all kinds of stupid. If anything could convince Soon he really needed to seize Girard's Gate, that would be it!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Yes, even MS, as it happened to hit spliced/buffed V.
    V took one MS while spliced and buffed, and still took substantial damage from it. Then s/he took another one after Superb Dispelling and being hit in the face with an enormous rock. Let's be charitable and say that the first one was reduced by 75% - that's still 30d6 damage to a character who would have needed to roll all 4's on d4 hit dice to have 70 HP.

Plot. Armor.

And what exactly Samanthad did, excuse me? Counterspelled much? Oh, pretty much all of them? Whatever
    Samantha hit Haley and V with the same Lightning Bolt. Haley mentioned that she couldn't make the save because Samantha's spell DC was too high, meaning V, whose Dex is unremarkable, almost certainly failed it. The spell KO'd V, and left Haley so weak that a single, no-metamagic Magic Missile took her to 0 HP. Any spell that deals that much damage to Haley should Kill Vaarsuvius, straight up. Except, you know, plot armor.

Edit: Wait, I'm sorry. Maximized Lightning Bolt. Meaning that, by definition, it dealt the same amount of damage to Haley and V. There isn't even a "the damage dice came up 1" excuse.
    Last edited by Shale; 2009-12-28 at 08:42 PM.
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by Boogastreehouse View Post
    Another appearance of...

the stick.

Edit: After posting, I went through the thread and saw that I was indeed ninja'd multiple times.

I believe we last saw The Stick here, in the hands of Inkyrius.

I believe there have been more sightings, although I can no longer recall them. Does anyone know of a thread?
    Actually that's a different stick. Too many leaves, different top

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by whitemane View Post
    He doesn't... But he does know that 1. Girard is notified of the illusion being triggered and 2. Girard knows the location of the coordinates that he gave Soon (he might've rolled randomly for the coordinates, but he still had to know what they were to give them to Soon AND set up the booby trap.)

Chances are, if Girard is still alive, Girard would have the illusion alarm go off and would at least be curious enough to scry on the spot to see what happened.
    That's my point, how does Roy know that this particular illusion has any kind of alarm? For all we or The Order know illusory Girard was lying.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and furry, signifying nothing. But enough about your story of your first child's death, you could all use an update on my problems.

To who ever starts another thread about Belkar's death, To the last I grapple with thee... from Hell's heart I stab at thee... For hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

Dread Cthulu wills that "Belkar-style lip-based assault" shall enter popular parlance! Remember kids, when in doubt, set something on fire.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

How do we know it wasn't set by a team of giant squirrels wearing a Lady of Pain costume? He's assuming that Girard told the truth until proven otherwise, because what good does it do them to not leave a message?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

How do we know it wasn't set by a team of giant squirrels wearing a Lady of Pain costume?
    That would be a pretty cool Planescape tie-in now that you mention it.
    He's assuming that Girard told the truth until proven otherwise, because what good does it do them to not leave a message?
    A message written by anyone but Elan sure, but I don't see this ending well for some reason.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and furry, signifying nothing. But enough about your story of your first child's death, you could all use an update on my problems.

To who ever starts another thread about Belkar's death, To the last I grapple with thee... from Hell's heart I stab at thee... For hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

Dread Cthulu wills that "Belkar-style lip-based assault" shall enter popular parlance! Remember kids, when in doubt, set something on fire.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

How long is Elan's message going to last in the bleedin' desert? A decent wind will obliterate the message.
    Thank you Ceika for the avatar

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Got my copy of Don't Split the Party followed by a new strip.

Yep, good day.