Show
    Listen:
    (1d20)[11](11)

Spot:
    (1d20)[4](4)
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5, E6] The Colony at Gaunche [IC]

By bad, I was gonna roleplay us off into the night, but this is definitely quicker.

Ranier

Ranier leaves the group before dusk and doesn't return until the next morning, an hour and a half before dawn, wearing a little white skullcap. Marching uneventfully out of town, he does make the group halt briefly when the sun rises so he can pray, doing a sort of dance in one place for a few minutes that doesn't look much like conventional prayer. He seems cheerier in the daylight (the hat now gone). He explains that he's always uneasy outside the compound walls at night, because the orcs and goblins have the advantage in the darkness.

[OOC]
    Spot - (1d20+1)[15]
    Listen - (1d20+1)[17]
    [/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

3. - Top - End - #33

Tuskhunter dashes off into the woods ahead of the party, peering intently into the undergrowth.

Spot - (1d20+3)[8]
    Listen - (1d20+3)[9]
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.
    Responses of any sort are wonderful.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

When Ranier explains his unease at being outside the walls, Orgnal responds in kind. "If you wouldn't wander off alone, you wouldn't have as much to fear. I suspect few goblin tribes would attack me, though there are some so bold."
    Last edited by Lyndworm; 2010-04-12 at 04:34 PM.
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

5. - Top - End - #35

Ranier

"'Wander off alone.' You make me sound like a child." Ranier replies. "No fighter wants to give his enemies any advantage he doesn't have to. And at the moment... it's the orcs we have to worry about, anyway."
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

A few dice rolls:

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[7]
    (1d20)[12]
    (1d20)[20]
    (1d20)[3]

As your eyes scan the dense forest, they note two distinct shapes (or one, in Tlaloc's case). You are ready when the orcs attack, much to their dismay. From out from behind a thick tree, they spring forth, hurling javelins at Ranier and Orgnal. [see next post for rolls and map]
    Last edited by esorscher; 2010-04-12 at 07:05 PM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

7. - Top - End - #37

Attacks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Orc vs (Ranier): (1d20+2)[22], (1d6+4)[5]
    Orc vs (Orgnal): (1d20+2)[22], (1d6+4)[6]

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

F= Tree
    M= Orc
    Code:
    |_|F|F|_|_|F|F|_|F|F|F|_|_|_|_|_|_|F|F|F|
    |_|F|F|_|_|_|_|_|_|F|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|F|F|
    |_|_|_|_|F|F|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|F|_|_|_|F|
    |_|_|_|_|F|F|_|_|_|F|F|_|_|_|F|F|F|_|_|_|
    |F|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|F|F|_|_|_|F|F|F|_|_|_|
    |F|F|_|_|_|_|F|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|F|_|_|_|_|
    |F|_|T|_|_|F|F|F|_|R|O|S|F|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
    |_|_|_|_|_|_|F|_|_|_|_|F|F|F|_|_|_|F|F|_|
    |F|F|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|F|F|F|F|F|_|_|F|F|_|
    |F|F|_|_|_|F|F|_|M|M|_|F|F|F|_|_|_|_|_|_|
    |_|_|_|_|_|F|F|_|_|_|_|_|F|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
    |_|F|F|_|_|_|_|_|_|F|_|_|_|_|_|_|F|F|F|_|
    Last edited by esorscher; 2010-04-12 at 07:07 PM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

8. - Top - End - #38

[Wow, what is the likelihood of two critical hits?]

Confirming Criticals:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Orc v. Ranier: (1d20+2)[22], (1d6+4)[10]
    Orc v. Orgnal: (1d20+2)[14], (1d6+4)[5]

[EDIT: Seeing as how right now, both Ranier and Orgnal are in negative HP, and that would be extremely lame, both of you are at half HP instead.]
    Last edited by esorscher; 2010-04-12 at 07:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Original Post:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Orgnal just hit -4hp.]

The goblin takes a javelin to the ribs and crumples almost instantly to the ground. "Gaknu rophometis..." the creature whimpers. "Make the boargobs pay for this, Ranier..." Orgnal faints, the javelin still sticking out of his left side, having obviously hit something vital.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stabilization Check:
    (1d100)[36](36)
    90+ is stable, 89- loses 1hp.
    Last edited by Lyndworm; 2010-04-12 at 07:37 PM.
    Fluff | Crunch

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

The goblin takes a javelin to the side, but it appears to be more of a glancing blow. He's hurt, but he's not out of the game yet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative:
    (1d20+2)[19](21)
    Fluff | Crunch

11. - Top - End - #41

One more question - what are the mechanical rules for squares with Fs? Can we move through them? Make ranged attacks through them? See throguh them? None of the above?

Ranier

Whirling to check for more orcs emerging from the forest, Ranier is caught off guard by the swiftly-launched javelins and one strikes deep into his side. A terrible image flashes across his mind - he and Orgnal lying bleeding on the ground as the two orcs bound toward Steelheart. Indeed, an orc javelin would drop a normal man, but the soldier struggles through the pain and keeps his head enough to stick two fingers in his mouth and give a looping whistle - the signal for Tuskhunter that they've found trouble.

"Take them out -- but watch your back, too!" he says as he begins charging forward, unlooping the long sword from his back. Feinting as if to barrel right into the orcs, Ranier instead sidesteps them and with an acrobatic whirl brings his sword around into their backs.

[OOC]
    Moving (and drawing sword) to the space South of the Westmost orc, and attacking the Eastmost orc.
    Attack - (1d20+4)[17] Damage - (2d6+4)[11]
    AC: 17 HP: 6
    [/OOC]
    Last edited by HempRope; 2010-04-13 at 04:51 AM.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

As Steelheart dashes towards the Orcs shadowy flames erupt from both his arms and shoulders along with the radiant shade of the impressive Marut.

With a look of steely justice he sends the shining flanged mace against the chest of the orc in a mighty swing.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Move to the square north of the Westmost Orc while drawing Heavy Mace from belt.

Standard Action: Attack with Heavy Mace wielded in both hands against the Westmost Orc with flanking bonus from Ranier.
    Attack: (1d20+5)[19]
    Damage: [roll]1d8+6[/roll]

Swift Action: Shift 1 point of essentia from Incarnate Avatar to Mantle of Flame.
    Last edited by Darwin; 2010-04-13 at 08:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    I am just saying that Nam seems crazy to Kohl even by violent, homeless, grave-robbing arsonist with a death wish standards.

13. - Top - End - #43

Damage roll:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d8+6)[7]
    I am just saying that Nam seems crazy to Kohl even by violent, homeless, grave-robbing arsonist with a death wish standards.

14. - Top - End - #44

Tuskhunter loops around for a clear shot on one of the orcs, fitting a dart to his atlatl and loosing it once in range.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving at least ten feet, and coming to within 30 feet, activating Skirmish.

(1d20+4)[9]
    (2d6+1)[9]
    Last edited by Maeglin_Dubh; 2010-04-13 at 10:15 AM.
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

15. - Top - End - #45

Ranier's feint works, and the orc is completely unprepared for his assault. The sword emerges through the orc's chest, and he looks down, surprised. When Ranier removes the sword, the orc drops. Steelheart's mace finishes off the other orc. The air is still, the forest is silent.

[The F are trees, you can not go through/ see through/ shoot through/ those squares. Don't forget to spoiler your rolls guys.]

16. - Top - End - #46

My bad. I went a lil old school, that's how I used to do it before there wa a spoiler function!

Ranier

"Good work," says Ranier to Steelheart, bending to check that the orcs are truly dead. "Can you carry a couple of javelins?" he asks, turning the bodies over to see if they have any spares.

"Do you think they sent anyone back to report our movements?" he says to Orgnal, straightening up. "Tuskhunter, see if you can pick up any tracks."

As his adrenaline subsides, the hole in his side begins to throb, and he inspects it gingerly.

"None of you knows anything about injuries, do you?"

Assuming not, he tears something clean-looking from the orcs and applies a makeshift bandage, hoping to at least stop the bleeding.
    Last edited by HempRope; 2010-04-13 at 10:50 AM. Reason: hole, not whle
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

17. - Top - End - #47

You find on the orc corpses (total):

2 Hide Armor (medium)
    2 Javelins (medium) -- not including the two thrown at you, which you can still pick up.
    2 Greatclubs (medium)

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

"I can only apologize for my lack of initiative, here. I usually respond much more quickly, and I have no excuse. To answer your question, Ranier, Orcs don't usually have the forethought to report movement like that. These boargobs were almost certainly hunters... They don't take kindly to others in their territory."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Local check to see how much Orgnal actually does know about the Orcs.

(1d20+5)[4](9)
    Or take ten for 15, whichever you think is appropriate.

Really, a 9?
    Last edited by Lyndworm; 2010-04-13 at 02:56 PM.
    Fluff | Crunch

19. - Top - End - #49

Steelheart

"I can carry as many as you can fit on my back Sergeant." Steelheart replies as he takes the four javelins Ranier hands him and with a small leather band ties them to the strap that holds his crossbow.

20. - Top - End - #50

Ranier

"Thank you," Ranier says to Steelheart. "I'd rather use a bow, but mine broke a couple months back. Might have saved my life, though -- the morningstar that did it in was heading for my noggin."

He flashes a smile, suddenly unsure how battle banter goes with a huge metal statue, before turning to Orgnal. The sergeant brushes aside his apology.

"Next time. Being hit with a javelin can knock a man off balance," he says. "Stupid things, orcs... you would think three of us would scare them off. Especially me and Steelheart.

"Say you two -- do you think we'd be better off with Tuskhunter staying with us rather than scouting ahead? He didn't pick up those orcs and we might be better off with another body if there are more of them next time. Most times I've fought orcs there have been closer to half a dozen of them.
    "

Spoiler
    Show
    Stalling til we see if Tusky can get anything from their tracks.

Side note -- all this colonialism is killing me.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

The goblin appears thoughtful for a moment. "I think so, yes... It was a good idea at first, but I think having another body between me and the orcs is never a bad thing."
    Fluff | Crunch

22. - Top - End - #52

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival - (1d20+4)[5]

Tuskhunter angrily retrieves his dart, glaring at the blackglass tip before slipping it away and turning his attention to the tracks left by their recent antagonists.

"Kirish... The yrch left no useful sign. There is nothing here for me to follow. We are better to keep on."
    Last edited by Maeglin_Dubh; 2010-04-14 at 12:07 AM.
    -\==/-

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

Ranier

Ranier shakes his head, disappointed. He hopes the goblin is right, but he knows from experience that Velas'quez is right -- orcs are better tactically than most soldiers think.

"Alright, let's get moving then. Stay alert, everyone. Tuskhunter, I think it's best you stay with us, so we're set for a fight if these guys have any friends roaming around. You and I will stay in front; Steel and Orgnal, you're behind us. If we have to go in file, Tuskhunter, you take point, and Steelheart in back. Let's keep talking and extra noise to a minimum."

Spoiler
    Show
    How much time has passed since we left, approximately?
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

24. - Top - End - #54

Steelheart nods in silence and follows Ranier in the proposed marching order.

25. - Top - End - #55

It has been about 40 minutes since you left the colony. Another 20 pass, and you realize you must be close. Your realization is correct. Some 300' in the distance through the trees you see a tower, maybe 80' tall, rising up out of the earth. From this distance, you can see, essentially, a wooden room supported by four thick wood pillars, each thicker than most trees you’ve seen. At the base each pillar are lashed huge stones protecting the supports. Ladders spiral around the tower, steep, rising 5' for each 5’ of forward progress [You can move at half-speed with ease or at full-speed with a DC 15 Climb Check]. Punctuating the pillars are 10’ square platforms. You can make out a humanoid shape, probably an orc, on the first platform. The trees are too thick for you to be certain of your aim [You can shoot from deep in the forest (30' or more) with a -4 penalty, no penalty if closer to the tower. This is in addition to penalties for range.]

[Make a spot check to reveal more about the tower, or get closer.]
    Last edited by esorscher; 2010-04-21 at 08:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Ranier

The party stops as the tower comes into view.

"How much can you make out?" Ranier asks the others, his question mainly directed at Tuskhunter, despite having lost a little faith in the scout's eyes after the ambush. "It's big." he says, and then tells the others what he can see [the description above].

"I say we stake it out for a while. Tuskhunter and Orgnal, you two up to circle around it and see if there's anything in the woods nearby, or different from the other side?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+1)[7]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

27. - Top - End - #57

Tuskhunter peers at the tower through the trees, picking a javelin from his gear and cradling it in his atlatl.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+4)[14]

"If the Impiyur and steelman will wait here, this one will walk soft and return to tell you what he sees."
    -\==/-

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen check:
    (1d20)[4](4) Wow.

Spot check:
    (1d20)[12](12) Eh.

Actions depend on what Orgnal sees/hears, obviously.
    Last edited by Lyndworm; 2010-04-14 at 11:42 PM.
    Fluff | Crunch

29. - Top - End - #59

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20-2)[10]
    Listen (1d20-2)[1]

Last edited by Darwin; 2010-04-15 at 11:09 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

You can not see anything more than you have already seen from this distance.