New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5, E6] The Colony at Gaunche [IC]

Rodrigo agrees. "It is almost sunup, we may as well keep moving." He helps you load the orc's equipment on one of the beasts of burden--it doesn't take up too much space. "Where we're going, you flash that bow it's like flashing a badge. Killing orcs earns you a lot of respect with these people."

Once camp is broken, the caravan continues on the road upriver. Soon enough, the sun peeks up over the horizon, bathing the land in its warm morning light. The road gives way to stairs, and after climbing for a few hours it levels out again into a dirt path. This time, however, the path is alongside a lake, not the river. Up ahead, about a mile, cut into the peaks of the mountain, are several wooden platforms with traditional impermanent goblin dwelling established on them.

"Stay close to me." Rodrigo says. "The goblins don't much like strangers entering Goab. And hold that bow out front."

Onate leads the caravan toward the city, about a mile ahead. Once you get there, Rodrigo turns to you. "Well, we're here. And we made it. I know Velas'qez is paying you, but here's a little something from me for your troubles." He hands you each 25 gold. Goblins begin unloading the caravan, and one, slightly taller but his eyes rimmed with red, as if he's been crying or staying up late for too many nights, comes over to Onate. The two begin exchanging in rapid Goblin (trade stuff, boring).

The city is big, and there is plenty to explore. There is a weapon shop, a medicine hut, and the chieftain's hut, and many goblins are fishing down by the lake (if you are interested in learning more about the goblins and their way of life, you can do so by exploring any of these things further. If no one posts in 48 hours, I'll just return you back to Vinganca).

Spoiler
    Show
    25 GP each for the orcs. 50 XP each for discovering Goab.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2010-06-14 at 09:58 AM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ranier

"Shall we take a look around? Nothing to keep us tied to the mules anymore," Ranier says.

He wanders aimlessly through the settlement for a little while, amazed at how civilized it seems compared to Vinganca. On the other hand, he rationalizes, it should really be held up against cities back home, and compared with them it's really nothing. Still, the goblins live a much more settled life than he imagined.

Not really knowing anything else and nervous about striking up a conversation with unknown goblins, he eventually makes his way to the weapon-seller.

"Good morning," he offers in Goblin.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

3. - Top - End - #213

[Cutting to the chase.]

The goblin is willing to offer you a fair amount for the orc's weapons and armor, more than you would get in Vinganca, given the non-existent demand for wooden weapons there. After a few hours, Onate tracks you down. "Ready to go?"

You get back on the road, the animals hauling carts of salt. "These'll sell for a pretty penny," Rodrigo says. You can see how lucrative this trade is, and understand why you were sent to protect it--you left with trash, and returned with a small fortune. The return trip is downhill, and takes less time than the trip to the Goab.

When you arrive in Vinganca, Velas'qez is waiting for you. "I knew I could count on you." He walks with you to your tents, where Cruces is waiting. There, Velas'qez hands you a sack of coins. "500 gold." He also hands you a copy of the translated journal. "From what we can tell, that book's owner was an adventurer of sorts--and it seems he left a few loose ends. One of them could pose a significant risk to our men."

He points out a page describing a circle of stones, and a bizarre, magic-wielding creature. "Whatever this creature is, it's not a friend of the orcs. Go to the circle, and find out if its willing to listen to reason. If the creature will side with us, it can live. Otherwise, it must die." Another page of the journal has a map, which you can follow to the stones.

"This gem you took of the orcs at the tower has magical properties," he says, holding up a translucent white stone. "But so far, we've been unable to determine exactly what. Our expert says its unlike any magic he's ever seen before. If you encounter more of these, we would like to study them."

"Any questions?"
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Orgnal

The little goblin looks up at Velas'qez. "Just one; Have you found any reference to the magic on the orc's bows?"
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

5. - Top - End - #215

"Yes. The rites and rituals described in the journal depict hour long meditations." He points out the passages. "There are some more... esoteric beliefs on the fringe of the scholarly, but I don't really know much about them."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Religion or Arcana or Local (Gaunche) DC 20:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The arcanists are Incarnate (Magic of Incarnum).

6. - Top - End - #216
    Barbarian in the Playground

Steelheart

With a metallic cough Steelheart breaks the silence he had kept for the entire trip and attracts the attention of his commander:

"With all due respect Commander Velas'qez, I am not convinced the unaligned creature you mentioned should suffer the consequence of death if it chooses not to forge alliance with us. We cannot go about murdering innocent beings as we see it fit."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

I promised earlier that I'd keep a map of our travels around Gaunche and I intend to keep that promise. Can you give me the general details of the two trips we've made? I'd like to know the distance, the general terrain we've passed through and eventual landmarks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    I am just saying that Nam seems crazy to Kohl even by violent, homeless, grave-robbing arsonist with a death wish standards.

7. - Top - End - #217

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll=Knowledge (Religion)]1d20+2[/roll]
    Forgot parens aren't allowed in rolls, my bad, off to the OOC thread.

Ranier

"Thank you, sir," Ranier said, taking the journal. "Though most of us understand Orc, myself included."

He's happy to let the others lead the conversation for a bit, but Steelheart's question catches him a little off guard.

"What kind of 'creature' is it, exactly?" he asks.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by HempRope; 2010-06-20 at 12:44 PM.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

8. - Top - End - #218

"We're not sure what kind of creature it is," Velas'qez says. "All we have to go on is this journal, which did not go into great detail. Your mission is as much reconnaissance as it is diplomacy or elimination."

He turns to Steelheart. "I do not pass judgment on his innocence, only the threat he poses. We intend to hold these lands, and sooner or later, this creature will either join us or resist us. If he refuses obedience, he poses a threat to our dominion. Eliminate the threat now, lest he grow more powerful through our delay."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Orgnal

The goblin speaks. "I've lived here my whole life. I am not an Elder, but my life has been long enough for me to learn that a being of power is rarely neutral for long. Right now it seems to dislike the orcs... if it begins to dislike 'umans or goblins, it will be my pleasure to pinch its candle." Orgnal's grin threatens to split his head.
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

10. - Top - End - #220

"If the creature shares our mutual hatred, then seek to add him to our cause."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Orgnal

"My intentions are exactly that. I have no desire to spill allied blood."
    Fluff | Crunch

12. - Top - End - #222

Ranier

"So we will try first to bring it in line with our alliance. But if it refuses... might it not be to our advantage to leave something that is clearly a serious problem for the orcs rather than eliminating it for them?"

Steelheart is right... it probably doesn't deserve to die. But if its death is necessary for the security of the colony...

"Er... one more question... does it speak?"
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

13. - Top - End - #223

Velas'qez shrugs. "We'll find out."

14. - Top - End - #224

Tuskhunter merely stood at the back of the group, proudly contemplating his two new orc scalps. He didn't look terribly perturbed at the thought of seeking out and confronting some mysterious unclaimed power.
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.
    Responses of any sort are wonderful.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

15. - Top - End - #225

Sorry, what time is it?

Ranier

After a second's hesitation, Ranier shrugs as well.

"I guess we will. It might be good for us to look through the journal once more if you're not in too much of a hurry, sir.

"I don't suppose... well, do you have an extra copy in Goblin that Orgnal could look at?
    "
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

16. - Top - End - #226

"Er... no," Velas'qez shrugs. "Not much demand for that in our organization." It's about midday.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2010-06-22 at 12:06 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227

Oops... was thinking that it was written in Goblin originally. One of the problems with turning 21.

Ranier

"Would you prefer a version in Goblin or Orc, rather thean Common?" Ranier asks Orgnal.
    Last edited by HempRope; 2010-06-22 at 12:38 AM.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Orgnal:

"I speak and read all three. I'd prefer whichever is closest to the source material, so probably Orcish."
    Fluff | Crunch

19. - Top - End - #229

Ok I've kinda been killing time in case Steelheart had anything to say, let's move.

Ranier

"That's what I was thinking... is there at least one that we could have in Orcish?" Ranier asks Velasquez.

"We'll look through the material, see if we can't catch anything that'll help us with this creature, take some time to rest up, and leave tomorrow morning, then. Any objections?"
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

20. - Top - End - #230

Steelheart

As the group scatters Steelheart approaches Ranier.

"Sergeant, I am not comfortable with this mission. I cannot ask you to, nor can I myself go against the orders of the commander. But perhaps we could work our way around the order and find a compromise."

He appears to be afraid anyone might hear him do something as trivial as speaking his own him, as if he was comitting high treason by resisting an order.
    I am just saying that Nam seems crazy to Kohl even by violent, homeless, grave-robbing arsonist with a death wish standards.

21. - Top - End - #231

Ranier

Ranier is caught off guard by how earnest Steelheart is. Turning to the metal tower, he puts his arm on its shoulder as he speaks.

"Don't worry too much. I don't think this will end in fighting. One of the Gods' creatures doesn't deserve to die just because he hasn't joined our cause. If he was created by the Gods..."

Ranier pauses for a moment and returns his arm to his side. This language might not be suitable for speaking with a construct, as much as it does resemble a humanoid.

"Well, I hope we don't have to fight either. If he isn't helping our enemies I don't think it will come to that. Though if he attacks us... Gaunche has to be safe for its citizens."

He pauses for a moment and takes a long look into Steelheart's 'eyes.'

I need to think on this more...
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

22. - Top - End - #232

Steelheart

I can respect that Sergeant. It is all I wished to hear. Thank you.

He solemnly nods to Ranier and returns to his tent to ponder on recent events as the night passes by.

23. - Top - End - #233

Ranier

If there aren't any other questions (?) Ranier leaves the others to see if he can't track down some friends and get a nice, hot meal. And maybe a pint or two. There was lots of thinking to do... not just about what this 'creature' deserved, but also what to do about Tuskhunter.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

24. - Top - End - #234

Tuskhunter retires to the quarters set aside to the mercenaries and checks over the tips of his darts, checking to be sure the stone tips aren't chipped. Once done, he sets his weapons aside, places his obsidian knife beneath the pillow, and goes to sleep, having been up and running for the whole night before.
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

25. - Top - End - #235

The night is quiet, except for the sounds of the native fauna just outside the wall. You hear two cats fighting, and some guards rush along the wall to place bets. There is a cheer, and then silence until dawn.

The sun's morning rays shine into your tents as it peeks over the horizon.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Orgnal

The diminutive mage awakens. Almost immediately he packs up his bedroll. Then Orgnal goes in search of food, and company. If neither is offered to him, he will feast upon one of the rations in his backpack.
    Fluff | Crunch

27. - Top - End - #237

Ranier

Ranier awakes to the sun shining into his room in the tavern and immediately starts, thinking that he has overslept. After a moment, he realizes that he forgot to set an hour to depart... and that the previous night has left him with a splitting headache. Two good reasons to start the morning slowly. He rinses himself and prays before munching half a packet of rations and heading out to meet the others at the tents.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Orgnal

After exchanging tedious pleasantries, the goblin mage returns to his tent. He begins to study his spells for the day, letting arcane energy flow through his body.
    Fluff | Crunch

29. - Top - End - #239

Ranier

Ranier gives pleasantries as good as he gets, and exhorts Orgnal to "Get ready quick!" as the goblin retreats under his hail of morning salutations. But the budding officer isn't actually in any hurry to get moving. His head hurts and his stomach hasn't settled despite the attempt at breakfast. He feels very young to be leading a group of irregulars against an unknown enemy with the fate of the whole colony -- well, part of its fate, at any rate -- depending on him. The throbbing in between his temples is glad that the others are anti-social. Or a machine... it's not clear if that's Steelheart's personality or lack of it. He offers a short prayer to Pelor for his physical soundness and tries to think of other things.

"Any questions before we leave?" he asks.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

30. - Top - End - #240

Tuskhunter wakes to the sun baking his tent, quickly collecting his weapons and moving out, collecting his scalps from the impromptu drying rack in front of his tent. Satisfied at their condition, he ties them to his belt and sits down to his morning ration.

At Ranier's question, he shakes his head and continues eating, completely undisturbed by the young soldier's seeming distress.
    -\==/-

Spoiler
    Show