New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Regarding Thread Necromancy (Everyone Please Read)

I think there has been an increase in the amount of thread necromancy in the Homebrew area lately. Mostly from Pixies I think. People are quick to gently correct the Necromancers, and besides which the rules are a bit looser about that for Homebrew IIRC. I just wanted to say that since feedback IS so valuible, it might be best if we start saying stuff more along the lines of: "PM the creator, or make a new thread instead of necroing." instead of stuff along the lines of "Don't necro.".
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Regarding Thread Necromancy (Everyone Please Read)

A wise decision.

PMs instead of resurrection would be better than anything, i think.

I think the main reason that threadomancy is mostly ignored in here is that its often then taken up again by the OP, resurrecting projects rather than gumming up the front-page.

Possibly one of the best examples was when Xallance's Soulknife was resurrected and entered play and lively debate. Heck, Tavar even played the thing!
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

PMing is a good idea and a reasonable thing to do first.

But is it then thread necromancy to want new opinions on an element based on game changes? Say I wanted opinions on a pathfinder variant of your own Beige Dragon, from 2007?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59834

I think homebrew uses old material - we're not waving a new argument around or telling people things they already should know. We're not bitching about a problem for the umpteenth time.

Homebrew thredomancy even reduces server load by putting any changes to a monster etc.... in one place causing fewer lookups and less confusion. Which is better, 4 posts about a creature - one a year in new threads with expanded stats each time and subtle modifications or 1 post updated 4 times?

If a link is in a sig, is it still necromancy? Or is it a very recent link to an old thread?

Sigurd
    Last edited by sigurd; 2010-04-11 at 10:23 AM.
    Logo by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

I just have folks post in my creation thread anything they wish to comment about certain things. Most of the more prolific brewers have one. Those that don't can make one.

However, if the creator is still around don't see too much harm in threadomancy. But then, I'm also not an admin.

5. - Top - End - #5

From what I've seen, the rules regarding necromancy are no looser in the Homebrew forum than anywhere else. It's just that PMing Roland is more likely to get you an exception.

I would agree with The Vorpal Tribble's view on things, that if the creator is still around it doesn't seem that harmful, but the rule is no, and it's not an unreasonable rule.
    Thanks to Dashwood for the avatar!

Check out my Homebrew.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, ideally a mod or admin will respond to this to tell us for definite, but I was always under the impression that thread necro was sort of... ignored on this side. If I was looking for something specific and found it, and wanted to comment on it because the author was still active here (say I wanted to post on one of the many wonderful creations of the Vorpal Tribble from 2006), I wouldn't think there would be a problem. To be honest, I'd personally be flattered, and hey, it may inspire new conversation on my creation which would inspire more people to view it. What's wrong with that?

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Well, ideally a mod or admin will respond to this to tell us for definite, but I was always under the impression that thread necro was sort of... ignored on this side. If I was looking for something specific and found it, and wanted to comment on it because the author was still active here (say I wanted to post on one of the many wonderful creations of the Vorpal Tribble from 2006), I wouldn't think there would be a problem. To be honest, I'd personally be flattered, and hey, it may inspire new conversation on my creation which would inspire more people to view it. What's wrong with that?

-X
    Roland has been very clear about this: Necromancy is flat-out not permitted, unless you PM a mod and request permission. Here, have a direct quote about the issue: Ta-da!

Now, with Homebrew, this is very likely to be granted, but it's not a guarantee, as Roland himself states.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Roland has been very clear about this: Necromancy is flat-out not permitted, unless you PM a mod and request permission. Here, have a direct quote about the issue: Ta-da!

Now, with Homebrew, this is very likely to be granted, but it's not a guarantee, as Roland himself states.
    I was going to point this out, but you did it for me.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

I will come back in four months and necro this thread for sheer irony.

Just you all watch.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by draco_nite View Post
    I will come back in four months and necro this thread for sheer irony.

Just you all watch.
    On another forum, there had been a thread in which the last post had been "You can say that again."

The person he'd been talking to necro'd the thread to say it again.

Three years later.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    On another forum, there had been a thread in which the last post had been "You can say that again."

The person he'd been talking to necro'd the thread to say it again.

Three years later.
    That. Is. The. Best. Necro. Possible.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the main issue is someone comes in from a web search, or something and simply doesn't notice the date.

Now if you excuse me, I have to book mark this topic so I can necro it in six months.

13. - Top - End - #13

RangerGuy

At the rate this topic is going, it will still be on the front page in six months.

But yeah, got to watch those dates.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

I saw that rule a while ago (when someone closed a thread because it was being necro'd) and I still haven't found the reason why gitp forums has this as a rule. Can someone enlighten me? Because I have almost never seen such a rule anywhere else and I could think of several reasons why reviving a thread could be advantageous. Please tell!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Anarril, we have a Board Issues section for a reason. Go here, and be enlightened.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Anarril, we have a Board Issues section for a reason. Go here, and be enlightened.
    Ah, well, to my defense: I tried looking up the forum rules and reading the post you linked to earlier before I replied . Can't say I agree with all the reasons but now I at least know them. Thanks!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    I think the main issue is someone comes in from a web search, or something and simply doesn't notice the date.

Now if you excuse me, I have to book mark this topic so I can necro it in six months.
    Make sure you PM Rolland first to ask for permission to necro the thread
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been putting this little tag in some of my old homebrew in the hopes or preventing Threadomancy:

Spoiler
    Show
    Ed. Note: Why are you looking at this cluttered, broken old thing!? There's a snazzy new version here: [link]

If you'd like some more info on this creation, why not send me a Private Message?

Thanks for the read, but please don't commit threadomancy!

-Cheers,
    Lappy9000

Granted, most homebrews don't have an updated version, but you get the idea.
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2010-04-12 at 08:30 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I would add in "or have suggestions", but that works... of course getting EVERYONE to edit ALL their old threads like that would be a practical impossiblity, so the original point still stands as well.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DaTedinator View Post
    From what I've seen, the rules regarding necromancy are no looser in the Homebrew forum than anywhere else. It's just that PMing Roland is more likely to get you an exception.
    This is the correct answer.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

So, is thread necromancy prohibited because it taxes the forums or is it because it is a cheap way of gaining post count? Or something else?
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2010-04-12 at 12:03 PM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

That. Is. The. Best. Necro. Possible.
    The reaction was priceless. Someone was like "do you like, wake up in the morning thinking 'I know! Today is the day I'll say that again!'?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

gooddragon1, six posts above you is the above. Please, read and be enlightened.