New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Oceans of Legacy (IC)

Again, quietly: "Who and what is Garen Rixx?" Obviously, Audr could place the face as one of those who had embarked at the same time she had. But she wanted more than that...

And while the Kobold was thinking the response to that, Audr reached under her furs to extract her waterskin. She'd leave it for the Kobold overnight. Maybe she could arrange for her and some of the other sailors to keep a watch outside the door...

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In the Brig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The kobold's thoughts willingly (and, perhaps, eagerly) hone in on a discription of Garen Rixx.

Pale, grey skin, clammy to the touch. Expressionless, blank face. Flesh warps and twists like clay. Garen Rixx is anyone. Garen Rixx is everyone. For now, this is Garen Rixx The following description fits that of a certain fellow you saw peacefully walking through the chaos of battle back at the Kraken's tooth, the fellow that left the hold not a minute befre the fighting started down below.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"I understand. I am going to lock you in now. When we're moving again I'll try and get you a guard. Until then, I'm needed up on deck. Good luck." Sliding her waterskin under the bench (making sure the Kobold saw it as it went down), Audr asked a final question before heading for the door (and the deck). "What is your name? If I do not see you again, I will commend you to Odin."

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

Teteto watches the antics of the zombies and even the strange Malon, but she shrugs and continues picking away at Z14. She saw no reason why she couldn't simply blast them into supper chunks.
    Spoiler
    Show

Eldritch Blast - (1d20+4)[5]
    Damage - (1d6)[6]
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

5. - Top - End - #395
    Bugbear in the Playground

Garen eyes the paper warily. "My word, brother. Someone's been moving up the ranks, huh?" Garen obviously believes the paper to be false, if clams of his brother's skills were to be believed. As always, though, he does not express this. He takes a small bit of metal from his pocket and mutters something under his breath. "You know, I never did see what was up on deck..." Garen turns and begins going up, though there's something about the way he does it...

Spoiler
    Show
    Casts message, targeting Garen's brother.

Bluff (to pass the message NOT to follow me aka innuendo) [roll]1d20+8[/roll]

*Roll in OoC

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Forever Curious; 2010-05-12 at 02:06 PM.
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

"Right now, I'm just a passenger," Sigurd replies. "I lost my last job a while back, so I thought I'd go for a change of scenery before I find work again. But this ship," he gestures to the window and to the hallway, "seems to be a magnet for trouble. What about yourself?"

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Adalias turns to the Halfling as the last of the light's energy is expended, healing the remainder of her burns. She gestures at her now unmarred face and offers a small smile. "Just seeing to my burns. Did you need something?"
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Once she sees Garen coming upstairs, Andromalia doesn't bother to hide anymore, she just keeps standing there, watching.

"So, I s'pose you wanna press charges once we arrive?

9. - Top - End - #399

Garen shakes his head as he approaches the tiefling, the gears in his head spinning wildly. "Actually, my dear, that won't be necessary. You see, that gentleman there is an official Peacekeeper." He points toward his brother, a smile on his lips. "We were just discussing the situation, and he feels we could convict the scoundrel whenever. Of course, you as a witness would need to be present. Isn't that correct, sir?" The last comment was directed at Rabbedon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff (innuendo toward Rabbedon to go along with what I'm doing (1d20+8)[22]

Or I guess you could use the last one, since it doesn't really apply...

Roc
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do I know if Rabbedon is a spellcaster? Or, for that matter, exactly how much does Garen know about him (abilities, etc.)?
    Last edited by Forever Curious; 2010-05-12 at 09:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Darrius

He pets the pig a few more times, shaking his head as he pockets the platinum, "I checked the pig before I bought it. He wasn't sick in the slightest. Could only have been mercy, likely of the divine sort, not to be calling the attention of any gods or Dragons. Regardless, I do look forward to breakfast." With a smile he turns and leaves the room, headed out on deck to observe just what the hell has been happening all this time.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Up on Deck:
    Spoiler
    Show
    When Darrius returns on deck, not much has changed. A few of the crewmen are still gathered at the edge of the ship looking down at the ocean but they seem a bit less excited and a bit more bored. Some of the crew have simply started swabbing the deck, talking amongst themselves, or even taking small naps. Even Ergin is leaning against the captain's cabin, although he eyes the other slackers with a poisonous glare. None of the folks back from the Kraken's Tooth are visible, save for the centaur and the pale-skinned woman (who is currently talking with a halfling).

After Andromalia made her suggestion, she hears the captain mumble something as she leaves. Though she doesn't catch the full thing, she's sure that she heard the words "...still my ship..."

The halfling, looking up at Adalias with a small smile, simply says, "Um... no... not really. I've just always wondered how magic works. Figgen keeps refusing to tell me so... um... I thought you... could... maybe? "

In the Hallway:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Cloaked figure looks at Garen for a second before displaying the paper he holds and pulls back his hood, revealing a horrifying mug that matches the one displayed on the paper (which denotes him as a royal peacekeeper). "Rabbedon Grimwood at your service. I speak on behalf of the viceroy. I'm just lucky to have been in the right place when the attacker struck. If he could disguise himself as my old friend Gribs, though, he might resist my other divinations. The court in Pemrose will help but an end to that. I hope we'll have your cooperation as a key witness."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[29]

Andromalia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    nothing that Rabbedon's said conflicts with your own knowledge of the archipelago's legal system but make a Sense Motive check to pick up on any trickery that may exist here.

Garen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know relatively little about Rabbedon at all. The main family tends to either kill illegitimate children before they grow up or to give them a small penance (to keep them satisfied) and utterly ignore them if they seem useful. Any contact that you've had with him was probably had during the few events where the Rixxes let outsiders into their fortress-like estate (weddings, funerals, and an occasional social functions that let the powers of the island size each other up) or through inadvised letters or meetings, perhaps as a means to use him (but I'll let you create the precise details of your past together ).
    You are aware of Rabbedon's prowess as a forger through indirect means, have heard next to nothing of his magical powers or other talents, and aren't even aware of his race (you don't think that he's human but others in the family simply call him a mongrel). That he was chosen to come and find you is likely a bit of a surprise.

In the Brig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    When asked his name, the kobold doesn't respond and he tries to keep his mind from wondering there. The kobold's face is unreadable (unless you want a sense motive check).

Ske...Grib...Ske...Grib...Ske...

As Audr closes the door behind her, she swears that she could hear the kobolds voice mutter the name, "Skerrin"

In the Men's Cabin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tim silently nods for a bit before using the rest of the sheet of paper to scribe a significantly larger message. "Been working for a few of the old bosses. I moved to the ship when they started dying off. Someone's killing big traders, Siggy. I think it might be the Silent Death."

A possible bit of backstory:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is just one possible addition to your history going back to your trader days. As with all such matters, let me know if you want any or all of this altered/deleted (I can easily make the Silent Death an infamous killer). With that said...

A couple weeks after Siggurd joined the group carrying his beloved (including Tim at the time), murders started occuring wherever they went. They sometimes traveled ahead of the ships you travelled on and sometimes travelled behind. Guards would be slain whenever the group stopped in town, inspiring the ships to rarely stop overnight.
    Over time, these murders became attributed to a single being known as the silent death. At one point, the government noticed the link between your ship and the murders and questioned everybody on board with no conclusive results. Shortly afterwards, it was revealed that the murderous streak of the Silent Death had finally chosen to leave the ship alone as news of similar murders (always performed in the dead of night with no witnesses and only a single wound in the back) started coming in from further and further away. Even so, the Silent death was attributed with the murders of two constables, dairy maid, five children, a town drunkard, twenty affluential men (including five politicians and one of your employers), ten guards on your ship, the ship's navigator, and your old friend Twitchy Pete... and that's just in the murderer's time following you around.
    Tim left the ship not long after the investigation and your final confession to your beloved came not long after that.

on a side-note, feel free to submit further ideas/parabels/characters from your past if you think of any. It'll give me more to work with if you ever solve who the Silent Death really is (though it's not crucial to the central plot). I can always make more on my own if you draw a blank but I fear that would be like me stealing your character's past away from you.

Edit: actually, that stuff may be best off waiting until you know if you survive this first trip.

In the Ocean:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The zombie in front of him now being outnumbered, Fayd swims along the ship's side as he can still see another undead there. He discovers a large number of them at the deck's edge and uses the opportunity to catch a large number of zombies in another heat lance. None of the undead actually fall but many of them look severely burnt.

Taking full advantage of Alfred's spell, Cal will swim deeper towards the ship and attack yet another zombie. The attack, unfortunately, misses its mark.

As Malon grabs the chest and moves into position, the two undead that she had her eyes upon perform a most unexpected act as they walk off of the side of the ship with the chest in hand, falling ten feet to the next ledge below, where they are currently prone. Luckily, she was waiting above rather than below and didn't get squashed.

Teteto watches the antics of the zombies and even the strange Malon, but she shrugs and continues picking away at one of them. She saw no reason why she couldn't simply blast them into supper chunks. Her next shot fittingly lands inches away from her target, helping to answer her question.

Crim and Topz are loading their crossbows once more and the four octopi at the bow of the ship tear the last remaining zombie in the area to shreds. Otherwise, the battle continues pretty uneventfully.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm pretty sure that both Uukoo's Dragonfire Inspiration and Fayd's bless spell (from way earlier) are still in effect so don't forget your extra attack bonus and cold damage.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-05-13 at 06:15 AM.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

Sigurd falls into silence for a moment, staring up at the ceiling - or perhaps through it, to whatever gods above were responsible for this. "...Well. I shouldn't be too surprised, really. Birds fly, fish swim, and the Silent Death kills people. Still, I haven't heard anything about him in a while; I hoped he'd quieted down by now. We can only hope he occupies himself elsewhere."

13. - Top - End - #403

AssassinGuy

"Huh. Sure... If you'd excuse me..."

Andromalia seems a bit puzzled as she walks away, getting back on deck. While she is rectifying her armor problem, she looks down into the water again.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot:(1d20-1)[19]
    Last edited by Iun; 2010-05-13 at 07:07 AM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

Adalias lets out a small laugh. "Not exactly magic, my dear. Well, I suppose it is, in its way, but it's not something I could teach. Besides, I'm fairly certain you wouldn't want to pay the necessary price to learn it."

She smiles at the halfling, then produces a dagger of force floating over her upturned palm, which is quickly followed by a short-lived ring of fire twirling around it. "That, however, is magic. I suppose I could teach you that, if you've the head for such things. Why does this 'Figgen' fellow refuse you?"
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

A harsh, clicking laughter escapes Chrak's mandibles as the rat dies. His head swivels almost too rapidly towards the last ashrat in the hold, and he launches himself through the air, dropping atop the creature with his blade held ready.

Spoiler
    Show
    Actions -

The usual order. Move action to Jump to square E-7, activating the Battle Jump feet to deal double damage and treat the attack as a Charge.

Jump check:
    (1d20+49)[11](60)

Attack:
    (1d20+8)[12](20)

Damage:
    (2d8+7)[4][1](12)x2=24
    Last edited by Lyndworm; 2010-05-14 at 05:53 AM.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In the Bloody Sea:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diving down after his most recent target, Cal manages to end the prone zombie's unlife with a single thrust as Malon looks down from above with the (pretty darn heavy, having required two undead to move it) chest held in her hands.

Fayd once again sends a column of scorching bubbles across the deck. Four out of the previous 5 zombies are caught in this burst and they are yet in one piece.

Tetelo blasts yet another undead with her eldritch blast and Topz, inspired by Uukoo's gargled chanting, manages to finish off another undead on the mast.

On Deck::
    Spoiler
    Show
    Looking over the edge Andromalia can make out a bit of a glow from the water, which is briefly augmented with a line of bright light before reducing to its previous dull glow.

The halfling frowns a bit as she replies to Adalias, "Mr. Figgen thinks I'm too clumsy and absent-minded. No idea what he's talking about, though."

In the Hallway:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As soon as Andromalia leaves sight, Rabbedon looks at Garen and says "Unless you want me to "inform the criminal of his charges", I think that I'll head to bed early."

In the Men's Cabin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tim flips over the paper and starts writing on the back.

I heard that you left the ship not long after I did. What happened?

In the Hold:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A harsh, clicking laughter escapes Chrak's mandibles as the rat dies. His head swivels almost too rapidly towards the last ashrat in the hold, and he launches himself through the air, dropping atop the creature with his blade held ready. The blade sinks into the rat with a satisfying thunk, slaying the last of the rodents.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-05-14 at 08:44 AM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Given the relatively slow speed of the battle and the fact that the undead seem to ignore anyone coming from the ship, Fayd begins to wonder how these undead were created. They are trying to escape with the chests, so that might mean that the creator gave them this order, that the treasure is cursed or that the crew is obsessed with them even in death. Pushing the thoughts aside until the creatures are put to rest, Fayd uses his fire breath again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Breath weapon as in the previous two rounds. (2d6)[9] fire damage (reflex DC 15 halves).

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

"Success!" Chrak is obviously enthused. He casts a glance towards Caine and scrambles out of the hold.

Spoiler
    Show
    Climb check (if needed):
    (1d20+5)[11](16)

Jump check (if needed):
    (1d20+49)[4](53)
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

19. - Top - End - #409

Garen smiled sincerely, but almost...slyly? "Oh, we shan't be having that, brother..."

Roc
    Spoiler
    Show
    (the following dialouge is spoiled for evil plotting)

"How good are your hiding skills? I have a plan..." as he speaks, Garen's form blends and mearges, and in a moment he looks exactly like Rabbedon, minus the cloak. "If you'd allow me your little paper, I'll "inform" the witness myself. You'd have to hide yourself away somewhere...if you can. Do you know any invisibility or magic tricks?"

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

"All right, I think this has gone on long enough. Gimme that, brainless things beneath the waves, this chest of yours will be great plunder!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Am I close enough to the chest-carrying zombies yet?

If I am: Strength check to rip the chest away from them: (1d20+6)[26]
    (Or would you want a disarm check or something instead? Sleight of Hand? )

If not: Swimming closer! (1d20+13)[27]
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

21. - Top - End - #411

AssassinGuy

"Huh..."

Andromalia keeps watching for a while longer, then she returns below deck to the galley and approaches the cook.

"Mind if I 'elp?"

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In the Hallway
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rabbedon removes his cloak and hands it to Garen after putting the paper back into one of its pockets. "No such tricks, I'm afraid," says Rabbedon, "but I don't need them. I'll hide in the women's cabin until those two head back upstairs. Then I'll hide under the covers with the blanket over my head. If anyone bothers me, I'll tell them I have a headache. How does that sound"

Garen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Make a DC 15 Will save. If you fail, you cannot tell the difference between Rabbedon's voice and your own previous voice.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-05-14 at 07:21 PM.

23. - Top - End - #413

Spoiler
    Show
    Will (1d20+3)[23]

Garen chuckled a bit, donning the cloak. "Clever. Let's just hope no one pays you any mind. I'll be done as soon as possible." Garen quickly starts down the hall, headed toward the brig.
    Last edited by Forever Curious; 2010-05-14 at 11:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Cal continues to attack the zombie that he had missed earlier.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack:(1d20+9)[11]
    Damage:(1d6+1)[2]
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2010-05-15 at 01:25 AM.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

After having locked Skerrin in to the brig, Audr had a choice to make. Should she leave him unguarded (knowing he was likely to be murdered if left unguarded for too long) or head up to the deck to help defend the ship?

Ultimately, it was an easy enough choice. There was noone shouting down from the deck for her, so she'd guard the door. Since the 'foe' here was a changeling, she could not trust another to guard the door for her. Stripping off her furs (she wore her armor underneath it, after all), she lay them out in front of the locked brig door and started examining them for ash-rat damage.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In the Hallway:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rabbedon walks into the ladies' cabin as Garren walks off wearing his skin, up into the galley that attaches to the brig...

In the Galley: As Andromalia walks into the kitchen, she notices for the first time the degree to which it is decorated. Spatulas, knives, ladles, cleavers, pots, knives, and far much more hang from almost every wall. Looking up, the ceiling is concealed behind a wall of meat, kept up by a mesh of ropes that cross the room. A few buckets, presumably filled with ice, are also visible from below. A ladder on one side of the room provides access to the upper sub-level.

A large table covered in less desirable chunks of elk, a few dozen carrot tops and heads of lettuce, a large soup pot, and a few shaved and oiled rabbit carcasses dominates most of the available room. Several cabinets have been built into the table itself. A Large metal tank rests in a corner near a trap door. The tap on it suggests that the tank is holding some form of liquid.

Near the door leading outside is a metal tub in which a dead pig appears to be bathing in its own blood. fortunately, the smell of death is covered by the delicious aroma rising up from the soup pot.

Only people in the Galley:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cook was working on slicing up the lettuce when Andromalia entered. Upon hearing her question, the kobold looks up at her for a couple seconds before stabbing his knife into the tabletop and motioning towards it with one hand as he searches for another knife (make a craft (cooking) check with a +4 bonus from aid another and masterwork tools)

When the cloaked figure enters the galley, it is clear for him to see that the brig door is closed and (as logic suggests) likely locked.

Andromalia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Make a spot check

Garen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Make your disguise check

Under the Sea:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fayd breathes another stream of heat. As the boiling bubbles nearly ignite the water around them, all four undead in their paths are quickly reduced to scorched skeletons as the flesh is literally melted from their flesh.

Meanwhile, Tetelo blasts the nearest undead that she can clearly see, only visible due to her extraordinary sight. The blast strikes true and hits the target directly in the chest and knocks the zombie down as its head and arms fly in separate directions.

Cal takes a stab at the undead on the ground next to him and scrapes some flesh off of it's arm, eliciting a few bubbles from the undead's mouth (perhaps an attempt at a groan).

Uukoo manages to tug the chest out from the hands of two nearby zombies. Although it doesn't seem too heavy, Uukoo swears that he can hear a bit of muffled clinking from inside.

Tetelo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    please make a Wisdom check
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-05-15 at 04:29 AM.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Fayd absolutely doesn't enjoy this, but he can't let undead wander around in the sea either. Who knows what damage to the living they could cause. He remembers more undead towards the opposite end of the ship and begins to swim across the deck and a bit higher to get a good view of the battlefield. Once he catches a glimpse of them, Fayd positions himself over the stairs, above the zombies. After getting Tetelo's attention, he points at her, then the zombie at the bottom of the stairs (Z23), followed by pointing at himself and then making a sweeping motion towards the undead in front of and below him (Z10-14) while exhaling some glowing heat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Double move to VII-17/G17. Next round will involve some three-dimensional targeting of a 15 ft. cone to hit Z10-14, but none of the octopi. Stay tuned.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Dwarf in the Playground

Malon frowned to herself, as the almost omnipotent forces of greed battled it out versus the almost omnipotent forces of not wanting to waste more spells for dominion of the mermaid's actions. Eventually, she decided that no, she wouldn't cast anything else in this battle - there may be more fights to come today, against more dangerous opponents. Instead, she swam toward the surface as quickly as she could. Surfacing, she was well aware that she couldn't possibly fly with the chest, and so she called out, "hey, get someone over here to help me with this!".

Spoiler
    Show

Actions: Swimming straight back to the ship, double-time. That's a 100', if I'm not mistaken. If one turn isn't enough to get there, I guess you have my actions for the next turn.
    I don't mean to brag - it just sort of happens.

29. - Top - End - #419

Spoiler
    Show
    Disguise (1d20+6)[16]*

*Add +10 to this roll (from the changelings racial ability)

Rabbedon strides quickly through the kitchen toward the brig. "I wish to speak to the accused," he announces to anyone as he approaches the door. "Please allow me in the brig." if the doors are actually not locked, he'll go right in. If they are, he waits for someone to unlock them.
    Last edited by Forever Curious; 2010-05-15 at 07:41 AM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"No."

The Brig's door was locked - and the key was in Audr's posession, since she was the one who had locked the Kobold in. Straightening up, she looks quite different than she would have back on the docks - with her furs off (they're spread out on the floor where she was examining their current state of repair) she looks more like an armoured knight, and with her eyepatch off she looks more like a grizzled veteran and less like a child playing dress-up.

"The door is locked, the door is staying locked. You can speak to him in the morning."

After I've gotten him into a Zone of Truth...
    Last edited by whoiam; 2010-05-15 at 08:03 AM.