New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Lumpy reorients himself, picking his flail up from the ground. If he is surprised to see a super-sized Tiriel, he doesn't show it.

Strength surges through Tiriel's body as she continues to pin the demon up against a tree trunk. Though her fingers tighten around its throat, the demon doesn't seem to be suffocating. Do demons breathe? she wonders. It occurs to her that the "choking" noises might be its attempts to speak.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-01-06 at 05:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin
    Katrin draws her sword without consideration for the sound it would make, knowing that she had been found out already. She gropes behind her with her free hand, hoping to find a wall she can back up against, saving her from being stabbed in the back.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

3. - Top - End - #873
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix moves away from the curtain taking up a defensive stance, his tail ready to strike any who wish him harm.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

He didn't care to know why Tiriel was giant-sized any more than he cared why he was able to stand again. It wasn't important yet.

Lumpy circumvents the giant woman, coming around towards the pinned demon from the side. Eyes flickering erratically between demure melancholy and sadism, the half-orc levels his flail. With a grunt, he begins laying into whatever part of it he can reach with abandon. He noted his lack of concern for his flail, something he'd long treasured. But as important as it was, he could always replace it. He risked more things, greater things than his weapon.

((OOC

PA -4/+8 (1d20+9=10, 1d10+15=24)

Miss, but Lumpy will keep swinging until he does kill it
    ))

5. - Top - End - #875
    Orc in the Playground

Evendur

Evendur's sudden blood lust is dulled somewhat by Callos' words and the presence of an unusualy large Tiriel inbetween him and the deamon-spawn. He circles the oposite way to Lumpy, sword at the ready for any atempt of escape, but defering to the will of Tiriel whom he watches as much as the deamon.

What was I thinking? Where did those thoughts come from? They weren't mine, surely...

He calls out to Lumpy as he sees him foing for the deamon, though not moving from his position, "wait, Lumpy,wait, it is subdued!" but to little avail.
    Last edited by Dark_Stalion; 2007-01-07 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Simuposted :P
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

6. - Top - End - #876

In the armor shop ...

Lying in front of you on top of the torn curtain is a young human male, dying from a gaping chest wound, his shortsword still clutched in one hand. Inside the storeroom are several more combatants.

To the left of the room stands a woman wrapped head to toe in red cloth. The outfit is form-fitting, highlighting the curve of her breasts and her shapely hips. Even Achkby and Fizahn are forced to acknowledge that she has an attractive figure (for a tallfolk woman, that is). Her head and face, however, are obscured by a deep cowl, protecting her identity. She is empty handed, but three henchmen stand in front of her, shortswords raised menacingly. One of the henchmen is holding up the sunrod.

They face the armorer on the right. Achkby and Yix recognize him immediately by his posture and body habitus, but his facial appearance seems to have changed somewhat since earlier in the day. His skin is yellow and thickened, almost lizard-like. His face is gaunt, cheeks hollowed out, and his ears are pointed in the manner of elves. His heavy woolen winter tunic has been tossed aside, revealing ornate golden armor underneath. A shining bastard sword rests tucked in the crook of his elbow in an almost casual manner. Bright red blood drips from its tip onto the wooden storeroom floor.

Two brown dogs stand protectively in front of him, facing the henchmen, teeth bared. Their presence surprises you somewhat, since there was no suggestion that there were any dogs inside the storeroom just a few seconds ago.

All of the combatants, including the dogs, turn to face the doorway. Achkby and Fizahn stand there frozen, caught in the sunrod's glare.

The armorer speaks calmly to Achkby. "I'm sorry, little one, but all sales are final."

The cowled woman speaks softly. "Are those two dwarfs friends of yours, Khosuvah?"

In the forest ...

Lumpy lays into the helpless demon, grunting as he smashes the creature again and again and again with his flail. Tiriel's eyes widen in surprise and disgust as she is splattered by gore. She lets go and the remains of the demon crumple to the ground.

Lumpy drops his flail, now useless, its head a melted mess of slag. The half-orc sags to his knees breathing heavily, his crazed blood-lust fading.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-01-07 at 05:18 PM.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The cold catches up with Lumpy again almost immediately as he realigns with reality. He sits hunched over his knees, panting puffs of frosty air as the last vestiges of adrenal euphoria fade smoothly into pain. He could have sat there forever, huddled against the pain until the night air took him from this world again and not thought twice of it, but there were more important things to be done.

Still on the ground, the surly orc grates words from between clenched fangs,

"That's our cue ta get moving, the druid's health be damned. Unless I'm far off my mark, mounted demons ain't part'a the local fauna. I just bet my life that they were scouts or vanguards, which means Sethra's folk're hotter on us than we reckoned. Killing them might buy us some extra time, but they'll be found sooner or later. Hells, even if they ain't they must know where we're headed already."

Shakily, he rises to his feet again, steadying himself against the demon-spattered tree,

"We'd best be long gone from Tammar before tomorrow's over, or we might not make it through at all."

8. - Top - End - #878
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tiriel
    Tonight, has not been a good night, Tiriel thinks to her self looking at her acid pitted and gore splattered armor, Hopefully I can repair this.

She gives Lumpy a curious look, before speaking. "Yes, I agree. We need to head back towards the town, all of us. Everyone should load up in the wagon and head back. I'll trail behind and make sure we aren't followed.

You can borrow my horse if you'd like Lumpy.
    " She adds as an after thought.
    Huh, never expected him to lose his cool in the middle of a fight, but I guess almost waking up on the wrong side of the misty veil will do that to a person. Too bad though, the wizard actually had a point. Which reminds me...
    Glancing at Callos Tiriel asks, "Can you turn this off now, it's not needed anymore.
    And thanks.
    "
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Callos

His expression was sour as Lumpy made the demon resemble ground up beef. Of course he had fully intended on killing the thing later on, but he had wanted some answers first! And now its brain was pulp! Grumbling he went over to the corpse, loathe to touch it. How he wished there was some spell to communicate with the dead!...that he could cast. The sound of someone speaking to him jerked him out of his revere and he looked up at the giant Tiriel.

"Thanks for what? You were the only opition to cast the spell on Shiney. I wasn't going to grab that thing and no one else is acid retardant. As for dismissing. Just wait. The bigger you are, the easier it will be to load up everything for the trip back and you'll revert to your former size before we leave, so just wait." He snapped out, irriatation written plainly on his face as he stretched slowly. The dark circles underneath his eyes seemed more prominet in the dim light of night and he was already grumbling as he looked around. "Now how do we get back?"
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

10. - Top - End - #880

Fizahn:

Fizahn draws his dagger as the door bursts open, shielding his eyes from the light with his hand. He takes in the scene with a confused expression. He looks at the guy in golden armor. A sloght grin crosses his face at the armorer's quote. That's most definately the armorer. "Yes. I see you're having a similar dispute with your friends there. Although, I assume it's about something other than a mithril shirt." Fizahn's eyes narrow in anger as the woman refers to him as a dwarf. "Gnome, you stupid dung heap of a tall folk. And I'm sure my halfling compatriot agrees with these sentiments even if he can't understand me, never being versed in the exquisite language of the best race." Fizahn gives the red woman a smile and chuckles a little. I don't think this is going to turn out well for us. Fizahn whispers to Achkby. "Can you think of any great bluffs that might get us out of this?"
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

Thokk allows Lumpy to smash the life out of the Demon, and sits back and laughs during the entire ordeal. Afterwards, he goes over to lumpy and clasps him on the arm

"Ach, good show lad. Methinks you needed to kill that lad a little more then I did, and get got the boot, to boot! Hahaha!"

Thokk circiles the bits of demon until he finds a choice bit, and quickly lops it off. Returning with the group to the previous fight, he will also take with him a Quill.

12. - Top - End - #882

Tiriel

Tiriel glares angrily at Callos and barely controls her instinctual response to draw her sword.
    You know you'll gain nothing lasting from fighting him. He's a bitter rotter. Just deal with it later - there are larger things at hand.

Tiriel takes her hand off the hilt of her sword, "Well then, I guess you were just lucky to have someone in front of you."
    She turns and starts walking back toward the cave only stopping to collect her dropped bow.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

13. - Top - End - #883

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby freezes. Even after his vision returns, he remains motionless for a moment.

Dammit, gnome, why the hell do you think they don't speak Draconic. It's one language I'll bet they both talk, though maybe not the henchmen... heh.

"Clients, not friends," announces Achkby eventually, "Who took an interest in the... credibility of their supplier. Though I am pleased that you had such a fine shirt in stock this morning, it was also quite a surprise. And after we heard from some friends, we thought it... prudent to come back. Which was clearly a good decision, because it'd probly be a bad idea for anyone to change hands tonight."

Damn. What the hell did you just say?
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

14. - Top - End - #884

In the forest ...

Lumpy limps back with the rest of the group towards the cave. Thokk lingers behind but finds that the remains of the demon crumble to the touch leaving no trophy behind. He picks up a howler quill or two however as you near the cave.

Outside the cave, you rendez-vous with Trinark and the druid. Once back at the cave you consider heading back for Tammar through what's left of the night vs. trying to catch a few hours of sleep before daybreak ...

In the shop ...

"Make it a good one," mutters the armorer. He absent-mindedly grasps the hilt of his sword. The blade shimmers as he does so, almost rippling like liquid quicksilver.

"They've seen too much, Khosuvah," says the woman in red, turning her hooded face away. She reaches down into a satchel, then places three pouches on a worktable. They clink softly. She reaches two fingers inside one pouch and withdraws a small platinum ingot. "For the man you just killed. He was a good one."

The other three men sheathe their shortswords and back slowly towards the canvas-wrapped crate.

The armorer ignores the woman and her henchmen. Instead he tilts his head as he stares at Achkby and Fizahn, as if not sure what exactly to do with them. The two dogs sit at his feet, cocking their heads in almost the exact same manner.

After a pause he asks, "Can I help you?"

15. - Top - End - #885
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

A very confused Yix breathes a deep sigh as he sits down. The situation was too confusing for him to even begin to fathom what was happening, and since everyone looks friendly, at least for now, sitting seemed like a good idea.
    Last edited by Spaz; 2007-01-09 at 01:34 PM.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Drifting back into his usual sullenness, Lumpy stubbornly refuses any offers for aid. He limps back to the cave after the others, stopping to gather a few things; his ruined flail, the quill he'd removed from his leg, and his longbow. He also takes the opportunity to search the howlers, reasoning that if there were anything important to be found, it wouldn't be carried by the acidic demons.

His stance on how to use the remainder of the night is clear-cut and adamantly defended. Despite his injuries, he is fully in favor of packing up and moving on, to the point of donning his armor. This he explains simply, "Whatever ya decide, I ain't sleeping no more tonight" He retreats closer to their shelter's exit, retrieving his guisarme from where he'd left it and standing grim sentry.

It was only partially a ruse. His mind really did want to keep moving. It was as sharp and clear as it had ever been, focused by his close call. But his body protested every waking moment. It needed to heal, and it needed rest to heal well. He wouldn't let it, if the stakes were so high. His armor served two-fold purpose there. The worn plate hid his weaknesses, covered the bloodstained clothing that highlighted his wounds- the last thing he needed was to be fussed over by everyone. He leans against his polearm, taking weight off of his injured thigh and listens to the others while staring into the darkness.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

What's her problem? I was telling the truth after all! It wil be easier to pack up and leave with her still big and whatnot. Women, can never take logic as a compliment.

The necromancer shook his head, instead turning his attention to Lumpy who he was quite certain had died not to long ago. How was he still going about? The half-orc didn't look undead, none of the characteristic slowness of a zombie and definitly not a skeleton. Had one of the others healed him? That wasn't what bother him though. What did was that Lumpy was still hurt, the blood stains in his shirt before he pulled the armor back on confirmed that. But Lumpy was still right. It was no longer safe to remain in this place even if some of them needed rest and healing.

If he thinks he can make it back to the others then I guess we'll just have to trust him to be able to handle it.

"Lumpy's right. Lets move out quickly."

Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

18. - Top - End - #888
    Orc in the Playground

Evendur

Evendur seems to match the generaly disgruntled nature of the group. Though he says nothing more on the matter, it is clear that he is unhappy about the killing of the helpless deamon. When he disipates his armor his jaw is set tight. Upon ariving back at the cave he strides straight up to the lizardman and sets his bare palm firmly against it's sholder. His eyes stare defiantly into it's eyes and the fires of his anger burn brightly behind them. Still his touch is gentle, and the warmth that flows from him disipates some of the cold that the lizardman feels, fighting to clear it's mind from it's diseased fog.

Evendur turns away without a word, gathering what is his that is left and joining lumpy in his unspoken decision to trek back through the night.

[Ooc: Remove disease on S-man]
    Last edited by Dark_Stalion; 2007-01-10 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Oops, forgot the ooc
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

19. - Top - End - #889

Tiriel

Tiriel reaches the cave slightly ahead of the others and fills Trinark and the druid in on the details of the fight. She mentions that heading back to the town is likely and that it might be best to get prepared and moved into the wagon.

She reiterates that she'll follow behind everyone.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin
    Katrin narrows her eyes in suspicion, but decides it is best to remain silent for now. She says nothing, instead choosing to stare at the armorer with an almost bored expression.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

21. - Top - End - #891

In the forest ...

As quickly as possible, you decamp and mount up. Lumpy rides in the back of the wagon as Trinark tends to his wounds. Those of you with horses escort the wagon back towards Tammar.

In a way, the expedition was a success. You have retrieved the missing drow and druid safely. The encounter with the demonic scouts and its significance, however, has put a damper on the happy reunion.

Lumpy's wounds will heal. Tiriel's armor and sword are pitted, but servicable. The only casualty really has been Lumpy's flail. Some of you silently thank the gods for your good fortune. The night-time encounter could have gone much worse for you (especially for Aeroz).

You near the walls shortly before dawn. The skies are still dark, and the gates are shut tight.

In the shop ...

The armorer and the woman in red seem to have concluded their "negotiations". The henchmen struggle with the bulky package as they head for the back door.

"A pity we were interrupted, Khosuvah. It would have been ... interesting. Next time, perhaps."

The armorsmith shrugs without even turning around to acknowledge the woman. You get the feeling that the aborted combat was little more than a game between the two of them, the dead henchman notwithstanding.

Achkby and Fizahn stand awkwardly while the armorer waits for some sort of answer. The armorer's eyes flick from side to side noting the presence of Yix and Katrin without comment. One of the armorer's dogs scratches an ear absent-mindedly. The other opens its mouth and pants.

Once the back door closes behind the woman and her henchmen (including the one carrying the sunrod), the shop is plunged once more into darkness.

"...

"Well? Are you planning on speaking or are we just going to stand here in the darkness all night?"
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-01-09 at 11:30 PM.

22. - Top - End - #892

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Did they... just... get away?!!

When the armorer turns his head, Achkby follows his gaze to Katrin.

Why the hells couldn't you have stayed hidden? We're not getting anywhere by showing more cards, we still have no idea where he stands...

"Er..." Achkby starts. With no idea what to say, he shunts aside creeping feelings of guilt and failure, and musters all the indignation and anger he can for what he hopes is a ferocious outburst.
    "In the name of Ti--of the Gods, what in the nine hells did you just do? You just sold her a baby dragon?" he says loudly and coldly (If only I weren't so short!), eyes narrowed to be as menacing as possible.

So much for not showing our cards, dammit, we should just get out of here and see where she goes...
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

23. - Top - End - #893

In the shop ...

In the darkness, the armorer raises an eyebrow. Is he puzzled? Amused? It is hard to read his mildly alien features. (This facial expression is only visible to Yix and, to a lesser degree, Katrin and Fizahn.)

He switches to Common. "I don't know what you are talking about, halfling. All I know is that I seen to have caught a group of burglars who have broken into my shop."

"I suppose that I really ought to call the constable, but I find myself in a generous mood." As he speaks, he sheathes his sword and reaches for a small lantern and a box of matches on a table off to his right. He lights the lantern and places it on the floor, next to the body of the henchman.

"I have to clean up this mess," he says, nudging the corpse with his foot. "Leave as quietly and inconspicuously as you arrived, and I will forget that your intrusion ever occurred."

OOC: There is still time to intercept the woman and her henchmen if you hurry (and if you think its a good idea). The package is bulky enough to encumber them.

24. - Top - End - #894

Tiriel

"We should probably wait until dawn to enter the city.
    It'd be nice to at least let everyone know we're all okay now though...
    "
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

25. - Top - End - #895
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

"Best the Lizard and the Drow never be seen in the city period if we can help it."

Lumpy rises stiffly from his spot on the wagon, disembarking and making his way back to where his horse trails,

"But someone needs ta go in either way. Need ta round up the others efficient-like, and make sure we pick up enough feed and supplies or what-have-ya ta make the last leg'a the trip. Might be best if some'a ya try ta go on in while the rest'a us try and drive a path through the woods around the city. Meet up on the far side."

26. - Top - End - #896
    Orc in the Playground

Evendur

Evendur, riding ahead, jaw still set, speaks up for the first time.

"We shouldn't take them into the city at all."

Back stiff as his jaw he fails to elaborate on this concept.

Kurt

27. - Top - End - #897

Tiriel

Tiriel stays quite for a while mulling over their options.
    That leaves Lumpy, Evendur, Aeroz, Callos and I to get into the city. Lumpy's hurt, Evendur's style is rather...flashy, I can't see Callos volunteering, and I have no clue about Aeroz. It'd be easy for me to get into the city... and if it's still dark I might be able to manage it unseen.
    Damn it. I'm going to have to ask the wizard if he can help. It'd be stupid not to.

Tiriel swallows her anger, and to a small extent, her pride before speaking.
    "Callos, do you have an invisibility spell?"
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

Puzzlement was pretty plain on his face when Tiriel approached him to ask for the invisiblity spell. If he remembered correctly, she wasn't exactly his greatest admirer and might actually be angry at him. Guess it was a pretty big thing for her to ask him for help..

"Why on earth do you need an invisibility spell for?"

29. - Top - End - #899
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy snarls a bit as Evandur re-suggests his exact sentiment, but swallows any possible comment. People had been claiming his ideas as their own for years, and this bunch was no different. He continues to check over his horse, making sure his possessions are secured upon it. He wasn't sure if he could muster the effort to mount the beast, but he wanted to be sure he wasn't missing anything regardless.

The dour orc lets the others sort out who would enter the city. Hopefully, it would be someone trustworthy.

30. - Top - End - #900

Aeroz

"I can get into the city without being detected, though I would need some help though. Its been a while since I did any major infiltration. I would prefer to take Trinark, but Edgar is right about him attracting unwanted attention."
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...