New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread III

Mangle, welcome to the contests.

Giants have a d8 not d10 for HD.

Hit Dice: 14d8+70 (133 hp)

You forgot a bunch of modifiers to your attack and damage lines for the claws. -1 for size and +3 enhancement from Auriel's favor plus the cold damage (see icy burst which also does frost).

Attack: Claw +21 melee (2d6+15 plus 1d6 cold) or Coal +9 ranged (2d6+10)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +21 melee (2d6+15 plus 1d6 cold) or Coal +9 ranged (2d6+10)

Nice use of Cold feats and Cold domain from Frostburn. You should probably include a little more information in a feats section for someone who doesn't have access to that book or at least recommend alternatives.

I think you need to state exactly how this all affects the PCs. For example.

Santa can cast spells from the Cold domain. In cold areas, he casts at CL +1 and in extreme cold, at CL +2. In cold areas, he gain a +1 bonus per die to any dice rolled to determine damage caused by cold spells he casts, and in extreme cold the bonus is +2. If he uses snow as a component for his spells, the spell gains the Cold descriptor. If the spell already had the Cold descriptor and he adds snow as a material component, he casts the spell at CL +1.

One last thing: Lore checks are 10 + Monster's Hit Dice and increase by 5.
    Lore should start at 24, 29, etc.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2010-12-16 at 12:23 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

2. - Top - End - #452
    Pixie in the Playground

The Crimson Candyman should be more or less finished. Short of correcting mistakes, anyway.

Critique is welcome and appreciated!

Also, I have question regarding the Swallow Whole ability. Is there any sort of formula to determine how much damage it should do or not really?
    Last edited by Gelscressor; 2010-12-16 at 01:22 PM.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gelscressor View Post
    Also, I have question regarding the Swallow Whole ability. Is there any sort of formula to determine how much damage it should do or not really?
    Swallow whole damage is generally equal to how much damage it may do with a successful grapple check. For example, a Behir deals 2d8 damage+str mod with a successful grapple (mainly because it constricts as it does so) and it also deals 2d8 damage+str mod to swallowed creature.

Acid damage, if any, appears to be more random. I'd make a personal rule to make it equal to the con mod or maybe twice con mod. If it has an acid attack, spits acidic saliva or the like I'd then double it from what you decide above.

Will go over your entry fully in jussst a moment.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-12-16 at 01:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Barbarian in the Playground

Forgot to post, the Chanukah Chorror is complete. Might add something else if I think of it.
    Zombitar courtesy of Djinn_In_Tonic.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Banned

Candyman Critique
    Spoiler
    Show
    Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+25
    How do you acquire that grapple?

Was thinking it should be +26.
    BAB 13 + Str mod 5 + Improved Grapple 4 + Powerful Build +4

Powerful Bite (Ex)
    A crimson candyman's bite adds 2x its Str modifier to damage rather than 1.5.
    1.5 Str mod however is only when you only have a bite attack and no additional attacks.

Combat

If it has no reason believe that it can't sow discord among the ranks of his opponents
    Typo boldened.

Change Shape (Su)
    A crimson candymaker can assume the form of any Tiny, Small, Medium, Large or Huge fey, giant, humanoid or monstrous humanoid.
    For ease of read I'd just suggest saying 'assume form of any Tiny to Huge...'

Improved Grab (Ex)
    To use this ability, a crimson candyman must hit a Large or smaller opponent with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the foe the following round.
    So it can swallow Large-sized or foes even while Medium-sized itself?

Poison (Su)
    Injury, Ingested Fortitude DC 22, initial damage 1d6 Wis, secondary damage 2d6 Wis. The save DC is Constitution-based. If a victim is reduced to 0 Wisdom by this poison, he experiences powerful hallucinations and a ravenous appetite for any sort of raw flesh.
    Thing is, I believe creatures with a Wisdom of 0 are blind, deaf and completely unable to sense their surroundings.

It is definitely a new go on a gluttonous fiend, and a pretty cool, if vicious concept.

Interesting use of my feats as well

6. - Top - End - #456
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Thanks Debbie! Fixed up what you pointed out though I tried to reword it all.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Swallow whole damage is generally equal to how much damage it may do with a successful grapple check. For example, a Behir deals 2d8 damage+str mod with a successful grapple (mainly because it constricts as it does so) and it also deals 2d8 damage+str mod to swallowed creature.

Acid damage, if any, appears to be more random. I'd make a personal rule to make it equal to the con mod or maybe twice con mod. If it has an acid attack, spits acidic saliva or the like I'd then double it from what you decide above.
    Right. Following the first then. For the acid damage, I'm going with 2d6 + Con mod. I'd use 1d6 + Con mod as a base, but added an additional die as its a fiend; as it would make (IMO) sense for fiends have stronger than normal digestive juices.

Candyman Critique
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble
    How do you acquire that grapple?

Was thinking it should be +26.
    BAB 13 + Str mod 5 + Improved Grapple 4 + Powerful Build +4
    And it so should be! Increased its HD by 1 at some point and forgot to update the grapple score.

1.5 Str mod however is only when you only have a bite attack and no additional attacks.
    Changed to 1.5 instead of 1.0.

For ease of read I'd just suggest saying 'assume form of any Tiny to Huge...'
    Agreed, that does read better.
    So it can swallow Large-sized or foes even while Medium-sized itself?
    Yep. That is, in most conditions it can; as a part of its body interior is nondimensional space, similar to how a bag of holding works. Wasn't really clear on stating that under its Swallow Whole ability though, so description there has been updated.

Thing is, I believe creatures with a Wisdom of 0 are blind, deaf and completely unable to sense their surroundings.
    Hm. Would it be better if I specify that the poison can not reduce someone's wisdom score past 1 and that the hallucination occurs then?

It is definitely a new go on a gluttonous fiend, and a pretty cool, if vicious concept.

Interesting use of my feats as well
    Thanks! And thank you for the feats well, I found them quite fitting for this creature.
    Last edited by Gelscressor; 2010-12-16 at 06:49 PM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I added a couple of hooks to the Dryad of the Sanguine Holly, I would love some feedback on... well, anything really.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

9. - Top - End - #459

PirateGuy

Love the plot hooks. The thought of a forest of blood is fantastic. For the more chaotic characters maybe seeking help from the holly to stop an evil warlords supply line or troop movements with disappearances from the ranks.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I have only this to add: GITP Monster Competition LII -- Nightmare Before Christmas has been a pleasure to work on and to read. I've enjoyed every entry. Voting is going to be tough because everyone has done such a superb job.

Mulletmanalive: your entry is still showing up as a work in progress. I really hope you have it complete before the contest ends. Yours has been really complicated, though I grok what you are trying to do. Kudos on referencing the nicks as well. That was clever indeed.

Speaking of the nicks, there seems to be a bit of text missing from the lore section. A Knowledge (Nature) check should reveal information about Fey creatures.

The Insanity Claws isn't complete yet either. I hope we see this one finished in time as well.

Mangles: I believe you should put your notes at the very end of the entry. That's usually where designer notes belong.

Upon further examination, it appears that your Santa Claws should have the Cold subtype. This gives it cold immunity and fire vulnerability.

The sack of infinite coal is missing cost and weight. [3,000 gp since it holds only magic +1 coal, and 15 lbs like a bag of holding isn't unreasonable]

Also, there should be a limit on how long the +1 magic enhancement of the coal lasts. This should be either a set time or until it successfully hits a creature. You should also state whether the coal can be lit normally.

IMNSHO, it should be lit normally as this would be just deserts if used against Santa Claws.

Last of all, the Lore check for Santa Claws appears to be best suited for a Bardic Knowledge check as well as a Knowledge (Nature check).

A successful Knowledge (Nature) check would reveal the Giant type where the Bardic Knowledge would reveal the history of Jack himself.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2010-12-17 at 08:17 AM. Reason: added text
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mangles View Post
    Love the plot hooks. The thought of a forest of blood is fantastic. For the more chaotic characters maybe seeking help from the holly to stop an evil warlords supply line or troop movements with disappearances from the ranks.
    Ooo, I could see that. If the Dryads were willing to, they would be perfectly happy to negotiate with others in order to get more prey, especially if they felt they would be able to go back and then kill the party.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #462

PirateGuy

Holly: 'I need more life and I will take yours."

Adventures: "You know i could just tell a whole bunch of low level guys there is a whore house around here for you. No one will miss them anyway, there just nameless henchmen."

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mangles View Post
    Holly: 'I need more life and I will take yours."

Adventures: "You know i could just tell a whole bunch of low level guys there is a whore house around here for you. No one will miss them anyway, there just nameless henchmen."
    Actually, a brothel of Dryads (any sort, really), seems like it would make sense, but seems kind of forum inappropriate.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

Mangles, your Regeneration is missing its Antigen. Without an Antigen, the creature is unkillable and I can't vote for it, despite wishing i'd through of the deadly rain of coal...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

15. - Top - End - #465

PirateGuy

Sorry i thought it was always fire and acid. Is there a standard to how its written out in the stat block because it always just appears as Regeneration N. I added it into the abilities breakdown. Also a creature without an antigen can always be beaten into unconsciousness and then coup de graced. coup de grace damage cannot be converted into sub dual damage. That however wasn't what i was going for.
    Last edited by Mangles; 2010-12-17 at 04:46 PM.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, if you read that in the SRD again, it explicitly states that you can't coup de grace them with an attack that automatically converts to non-lethal. It's just there so you can beat a troll down and then burn it rather than sourcing a retarded amount of alchemist's fire.

Anyway...Later books sometimes write it was Regeneration 10 [Fire or Acid] but the older style we are encouraged to use is to include a Special Ability note that states that "Creature X can be dealt lethal damage by Fire and Acid and Lollipops. It regrows lost limbs in Y minutes."

As a complete aside: I have finished the Twelfth Knight in the Eleventh Hour!
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

17. - Top - End - #467

PirateGuy

Your right. looks like i read the SRD wrong. Thanks for clearing that up.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Actually, if you read that in the SRD again, it explicitly states that you can't coup de grace them with an attack that automatically converts to non-lethal. It's just there so you can beat a troll down and then burn it rather than sourcing a retarded amount of alchemist's fire.

Anyway...Later books sometimes write it was Regeneration 10 [Fire or Acid] but the older style we are encouraged to use is to include a Special Ability note that states that "Creature X can be dealt lethal damage by Fire and Acid and Lollipops. It regrows lost limbs in Y minutes."

As a complete aside: I have finished the Twelfth Knight in the Eleventh Hour!
    Isn't it more like the early afternoon if you're using that "entire timescale in 24 hours" analogy?
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    Isn't it more like the early afternoon if you're using that "entire timescale in 24 hours" analogy?
    Yes, but being frightfully British, I'm forced to keep to the classic lines...

20. - Top - End - #470
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, wait. Technically, the contest runs for 20 days, yes? So, by multiplying the 20 by... 1.2, we arrive at 24. So, assuming starting at midnight and ending there once more, editing on the 17th translates to 20.4, or approximately 8:25 PM.

...Yay for OCD!
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #471
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The Felpine Shambler is officially complete, with a lore table and two plot hooks. One is for PCs of any level, the seed of an investigative adventure to find a poisoner, while the other is a high-level race against time and winter's icy grasp.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Yes, but being frightfully British, I'm forced to keep to the classic lines...
    Frightfully sorry old chap, but there's nothing more British than embroidering a pattern into the old hat to soak their stumps a little.
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Mulletman: Does the Twelfth Knight have any feats? That seems to be missing.

Debby

24. - Top - End - #474
    Halfling in the Playground

Hi all, this is my first Monster Competition, so I am willing and eager to take any criticisms and feedback that are on offer. I know I left it very late, I only saw the thread two days ago. I am somewhat awed by the skill that went into everyone else's creatures, so congratulations to you all; they all look fantastic.
    Things I swear I didn't do on purpose:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :
    DM: Look, you can try, but you won't make it, and it'll probably end badly for you.
    Me: (rolls d20. Looks up) I get 162. Do I make it?
    DM: ...
    Other Player: I think you broke him.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Mulletman: Does the Twelfth Knight have any feats? That seems to be missing.

Debby
    Blast! fixed. It's annoyingly difficult to find abilities that aren't messed up by his Lord of Misrule power...

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    Frightfully sorry old chap, but there's nothing more British than embroidering a pattern into the old hat to soak their stumps a little.
    Ah, but too much razzle dazzle could lose the yanks, and what's a bard without his lute, what?

[yes, i had to call my impossibly chappish friend for that last part...]

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by centuriancode View Post
    Hi all, this is my first Monster Competition, so I am willing and eager to take any criticisms and feedback that are on offer. I know I left it very late, I only saw the thread two days ago. I am somewhat awed by the skill that went into everyone else's creatures, so congratulations to you all; they all look fantastic.
    Just a couple of style and formatting things to point out;

• The story usually goes on the top (above the stat block).
    • The format for abilities is just the name (in bold) followed by the description. There is no need to split it into an explanation and a description of the mechanics.
    • List all of the abilities in one section. There's no need to divide up the spell like abilities. Instead, you'll need to mark each ability as Ex (extraordinary), Su (Supernatural) or Sp (spell-like), as the previous entries have.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Welcome to your first contest!! We're always glad to see a new face!

I can see we're in for a training lesson. First, make sure you bookmark this wonderful source, the online SRD (system reference document). It is incredibly handy for looking up the Open Gaming rules online. Here's a link: http://www.d20srd.org

You're not as familiar with rules as you could be. I know this because I'm seeing some pretty basic errors. Trust me, it's not a problem and everyone goes through this learning curve.

First your monster Type is wrong. There are Humanoids, Monstrous Humanoids, and Magical Beasts. However, there are no Magical Humanoids. You need to fix the monster type.

Second, Humanoids and Monstrous Humanoids use d8, but Magical Beasts use d10. Since I'm not sure what kind of creature you intend this to be, I'll leave it to you to fix.

Hit Dice: 15d10+30 [15 x 5.5 = 82.5 +30 = 112 hit points. You always round down with D&D.

If you use d8 you get 15d8+30 [15 x 4.5 +30 = 97 hit points]

AC. You state that Flickering Darkness gives a +4 bonus in the text but in the statblock it shows as +5.

Armor Class 24 (+8 Dex, + 2 Leather Armor, +4 Flickering Darkness) Touch 22, Flat-footed 16

You neglected to explain the creature's grapple. You say to see below but you need to say WHERE to see below. Which special ability changes his grapple?

BAB (Humanoid is +11, Monstrous Humanoid and Magical Beast are both +15). Humanoid is same as Cleric; Monstrous Humanoid and Magical Beast are same as Fighter.

Grapple is normally BAB + Str modifier special size modifier. BAB is either 11 +0 +2 for a total of 13 or it is 15+0+2 for a total of 17 depending on the Type of creature you decide.

The Attack line should show the melee attack for a carving knife. Attack is
    Base attack bonus + Strength modifier + size modifier. Again, your numbers will depend on what Type your creature is.

If the BAB is 11, then your Attack line will look like this (and in any case, your creature is entitled to 3 attacks since it has BAB of at least +11).

Attack: Carving Knife +13 melee (1d6+2)
    Full Attack: Carving Knife + 13/+8/+3 melee (1d6+2)

However, if you decide to go with BAB +15

Then your attack lines look like this:

Attack: Carving knife +17 melee (1d6+2)
    Full Attack: Carving kife +17/+12/+7 melee (1d6+2)

You don't have enough feats for a 15 HD monster. Monsters gain feats the same way PCs gain feats. They gain 1 at their first HD and then gain an additional one for HD 3, 6, 9, 12 and 15. Your creature should have 6 feats.

Knowledge skills aren't generally ones that need to be created. No PC would have the Knowledge skills that you use. Knowledge (Local), Knowledge (Religion) and Knowledge (History) would be just as appropriate.

Environment only needs to say "Urban."

There's more but I think you should fix what I've already described.

Good luck and good gaming.

Debby

28. - Top - End - #478

Throwing my hat in at the last minute in my first competition.

I'd appreciate any constructive feedback you have -- I'm sure it needs some.
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

29. - Top - End - #479
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Welcome to the contest, Melayl. It's going to be a rushed commentary only because there isn't much time.

Monsters that can use weapons need weapons proficiencies or you put the monster's signature weapon in the statblock. What weapons can a gingerbreadman use?

Racial Memory should have some kind of game mechanic that goes with it. Otherwise it is just fluff that belongs in the creature's background.

I'd almost rather see it have fire immunity than resistance. It's been baked already. Not sure why it has cold resistance at all. There's nothing in its background or that you added that reflects this.

Numbers look okay but I don't have time to give more than a quick look at this.

Debby

30. - Top - End - #480

Oh -- forgot to remove the weapon line from the attack block. It was intended to be a reminder about possible class levels. That's what I get for posting that late at night.

I left it at simple fire Resistance because a baked good can still be burned, but I think I might change it... The cold resistance was a holdover that I hadn't changed, either.

As for Racial Memory, I don't know what kind of mechanic to add. Maybe a bonus to Sense Motive (naturally distrustful after their "betrayal" by the priests)?

Thanks for the review, Debby.
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90