New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Crisis of Morals

Spoiler'd for length:

Spoiler
    Show
    So, where to begin. I suppose this all started a month ago when I discovered a new website. I found a lot of the content on this site entertaining. I prefer to keep the site anonymous (you'll understand why later in this post). It has nothing to do with inappropriate material. I just prefer to not name the site as you'll see later in this post.

Anyway, the site mostly has videos and reviews. Now, I noticed in one video, for a few seconds, the camera cuts away from the main character in it to some cameos, and one of the people looked a lot like an old friend. I double checked and did discover that that was said friend (this is the reason I prefer to keep the site anonymous, for my friend).

Now, I love said site and all the stuff they make, and I was pretty excited to learn a friend had connections to it. I eventually concieved the notion to perhaps have said friend introduce me to some of creators of said site. I love the content, the people behind it seem really cool, and maybe I could contribute (I have talents).

I eventually dismissed this idea for two reasons: firstly, it would be incredibly selfish and rude to ask such a thing of a friend. Second, I am not entirely close to said friend. It's not that there's hostility between us, I simply don't know them that well. They were more a friend of a friend, and they graduated school last year and have since moved on to I'm-not-sure-what (like I said, I didn't know them too well).

Anyway, in the past week I saw that the site was actually asking for contributors. I was of course excited and decided I would apply. They were asking for specific roles. I maybe fit one they were asking for, but they also asked that applicants could make up their own position and apply for it. I submitted to the site a few hours ago. Like I said, I made up a position, but I hope the examples I provided will be satisfactory.

Now, my question if it isn't obvious, should I get said friend of a friend to recommend me to said site? Yes, I know how incredibly rude and selfish that is especially for someone I barely know. I hung out with them only a few times the two years we were both at college. I'm not even sure I exchanged a line of dialogue with them. Yeah, it would be really rude and selfish to ask this. I did mention in the application which college I went to so maybe they're think to ask said friend if they know me and maybe that'll be enough for a recommendation.

The only reason I am thinking of this is because I have pretty much nothing else going on for me right now. Some of you may remember a thread I made about two months back explaining my position as a college drop out. I received word and looks like I might only be going back for one more semester and then maybe I'll have to transfer. It all looks kind of hazy.

This position I applied for might be just the thing to turn my life around. I have no idea if I'll get it (I'm sure a lot of people applied) and I have no idea what a recommendation could do. So, there's the facts: ask someone I barely know for a favor or just have faith in my application and hope for the best?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Crisis of Morals

Networking makes the universe goes round. I see no real quandary, unless he's say, the one with sole control over admissions and really, really likes you. Mostly your issue would be less moral, more 'not overstepping your boundaries and hacking him off,' thus decreasing you odds at the job'

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Spoiler'd for length:

[spoiler]*snips*
    let me answer your question with a question.
    *puts on glasses*
    would it be selfish to have a friend refer you with a huge corporation?
    Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
    Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    Damn you, Avocado. i'll never be able to look at a duck again without thinking that they're trying to disguise themselves as dogs.
    Spoiler
    Show

bindrune by Icewalker

banner by araveugnitsuga

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I see no reason not to shoot him a message, reintroduce yourself, and ask him just to take a look at your submission, and if he feels it's good, to consider it. Don't ask for a favor, just ask him to take a look, for old times sake. Subtle things can work wonders.

And, if he decides not to, or you don't get picked, send him a follow-up message anyways, thanking him for his time and wishing him well. Perhaps, if more contributor slots roll around in the future, he'll remember the kind words and he'll take another look or message you back.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hmmmm. I'd say ask him. I mean, don't just be like "Hey help me get this job." But if you can somehow get in contact with him, maybe let him know you've put in an application at the site, that you're interested in the job, and ask him if there's anything you can do to help your chances of getting accepted. You don't have to ask him for help - in fact, it might even be good to point out that you're not asking for help, since you don't want to be rude. But just letting him know how much you want the job might be good for him to know, since he could pass that on to his superiors. Sometimes, just having the incentive and interest in the job can help your chances of getting it...
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't see the problem. Getting into the media industry is, so sayeth many, all about networking. If you have a friend in the business, it's just good incentive to say "Hey, remember me? So I saw you in this thing...", and then who knows what could happen?
    I mean, unless you didn't get along, I don't see what could go wrong. What's the worst he can say? "Nah, man, but nice to see you again."

I say go for it.
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Epic, my friend, getting minimum wage jobs is about networking these days. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Jeah, going to join the chorus of other people saying you should go for it. Networking is the key these days.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The best thing to do I think would be to contact him, and tell him that you are applying. Getting into contact will be a good touch, whether you know him well or not, on the grounds that perhaps you will be working together and he's an old vague friend. This alone may get him to put a word in for you, especially if he has any hand in the decisions process.

Past that, whether you ask directly for him to vouch for you is arguable. Have a crisis over that and check out other peoples' advice, but definitely contact the guy.

10. - Top - End - #10

This will sound overly simplified but, flip a coin?

Heads, ask him in an indirect way.
    Tails, hope like hell you get in,
    Adopted Larger, but younger, little bro of Lady Moreta
    Awesome Avatar of Awesome Done by C-Lam
    Watch me play SKYRIM, give me quests, laugh at my deaths, and give me MOAR MODS! :P

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

No.

It will only be beneficial if :
    • You have a way to contact your old friend before naming him as recommendation.
    • Your old friend remembers you
    • Your old friend actually likes you enough to recommend you.
    • Your old friend is in a good position regarding the current team of the website.

If those conditions aren't all green, then using old friend as recommendation will only be damaging for you.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

perhaps mention this quandry while making the request/reintroduction if its not a socially oriented position?
    current excuse for incoherence: heat

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is in fact how the world works. Congratulations on having such a resource.
    I want a castle!

"I'm participating!"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I also say get in touch with him. If you're the best applicant, it won't hurt your chances, provided you don't, y'know, insult him. If it comes down to between you and someone else, this guy knowing you're enthusiastic and not a terrible person might help. If you're not considered seriously for the position this time, you've made contact with someone on the website, and he might keep you posted about opportunities.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

15. - Top - End - #15

It's not what you know, but who you know. Use your connection! It's the best way to get ahead. Really, this strikes me as a golden opportunity.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

there's no harm in asking. just don't pressure them unfairly.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Go for it.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

In this day and age you need as many connections as you can get. Go for it!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I have only one connection... but it's broadband!

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    I see no reason not to shoot him a message, reintroduce yourself, and ask him just to take a look at your submission, and if he feels it's good, to consider it. Don't ask for a favor, just ask him to take a look, for old times sake. Subtle things can work wonders.

And, if he decides not to, or you don't get picked, send him a follow-up message anyways, thanking him for his time and wishing him well. Perhaps, if more contributor slots roll around in the future, he'll remember the kind words and he'll take another look or message you back.
    This is exactly what you should do and say.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

What if you contact him to ask for advice on what he thinks they're looking for?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-10-31 at 07:55 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

Cant hurt to say something. If the friend isnt really a close friend ... then at worst you dont communicate with someone you already didnt talk to much, and at best you become uber rich and rule the world.
    -Tinkee

My First Dragon!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I can't help but think that the site in question is That Guy With The Glasses, or Blistered Thumbs to be precise.

Anyway, if it's someone you knew only briefly for a short period of time two years ago, I don't think if he will vouch for you on such an important matter.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

What you're describing is the "classic" definition of social/business networking. You may not care for it, but that's how it is these days.

Just remember that if your request is granted, etiquette dictates that at some point in the future you repay it, possibly with interest. (So pay it back as soon as you can.)

I also think Prime32's idea of asking for advice is a pretty good way to drop a hint and get a better idea of what you're getting into.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

25. - Top - End - #25

I'd do it. But I'd word it carefully.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Well, based on near unanimous results, I guess I'm going to go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    I'd do it. But I'd word it carefully.
    Well, my only way to reach them is via facebook. I guess just send them a message (after a successful friend request (how hard are those to get anyway?)) and just mention I saw you in a video on this site and somehow transition from there that I'm trying to get a position with them. Sound good?

27. - Top - End - #27

Eh... I think it might be best to do this in person. Try seeing if he wants to go for coffee and meet up at Starbucks, and start the conversation there.
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    Eh... I think it might be best to do this in person. Try seeing if he wants to go for coffee and meet up at Starbucks, and start the conversation there.
    Good idea, but I only met them in college, and considering my school has students from all over the country, I'm not even sure we both live in the same time zone.

29. - Top - End - #29

Thaaat... may make meeting up a tad difficult, yes.
    Can't hurt to ask, though. I mean, who knows?
    Also, if they live in a different area then you, you're going to have to seriously consider whether or not you are willing to relocate for a position in their crew.
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Silly hoomans with your morals.

Anyhoo, thirding arguskos's advice. At the very least, shoot him an e-mail and tell him that you enjoyed the video he was in.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.