New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    SHOTGUN!
    \
    i'll take the rear
    Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
    Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    Damn you, Avocado. i'll never be able to look at a duck again without thinking that they're trying to disguise themselves as dogs.
    Spoiler
    Show

bindrune by Icewalker

banner by araveugnitsuga

2. - Top - End - #662
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Conceded.
    Oh, how so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalAvocado View Post
    i'll take the rear
    And I'll form the head!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #664
    Banned

Invasion Cork was rather. . .small. The venue would have suited a town the quarter the size of this one and the displays were props alone, very little in the way of costumes. However it was well populated with stormtroopers wandering around and a curious small-town amiability.

"No, we don't grab that end. That's the choppy-hands-off end."--a dad disentangling his preschooler from a lightsaber
    "Waaaaaaaitaminute. . ."--a woman leaning in to talk to her man and finding an eavesdropping stormtrooper helmet in the way
    "Let's get a picture of the severed heads display!"--someone's optimistic take on the display cases of facial props

SHOTGUN!
    SHOTGUN! . ..¤%#!

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

who's gonna be lookout?
    Damn you, Avocado. i'll never be able to look at a duck again without thinking that they're trying to disguise themselves as dogs.
    Spoiler
    Show

bindrune by Icewalker

banner by araveugnitsuga

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Oh, how so?
    Umm, I think your thinking of conceited, she said conceded.

My (old) house never had any locks on doors except for the bathroom. I never thought about it really. My room in the basement was open to the living room type area. And that's where all our (my brothers) video games are, so they'd be up at the crack of dawn playing games pretty much in our (me and one brother) room. No privacy for me

By the way I have four brothers and I'm the oldest. Yes I ruled with an iron fist, until I moved out. Now my next brother down the totem pole has taken my place in our (their, I guess) room.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by RPGsr4me View Post
    Umm, I think your thinking of conceited, she said conceded.
    Woops. Ignore the white text behind the curtain.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Woops. Ignore the white text behind the curtain.
    I'm insulted you'd think I'd use a malapromism, especially one with such a different meaning.
    They don't even sound the same unless you have an absolutely terrible cold.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ogre in the Playground

malapromism? that's a big word :( big word hurt Cyn's head
    Spoiler
    Show

bindrune by Icewalker

banner by araveugnitsuga

10. - Top - End - #670
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm insulted you'd think I'd use a malapromism, especially one with such a different meaning.
    They don't even sound the same unless you have an absolutely terrible cold.
    No, no, that was my fault. I get words mixed up a few weeks ago, I kept mixing up succeed and secede. I'm just a bit dyslexic like that I suppose.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Titan in the Playground

I just spent three and a half hour running around and throwing grenades at Covenants in Firefight in Halo ODST. What the hell am I doing with my precious life!?

Well, well, at least it was pretty extremely intense towards the end (I've still got millions of explosions ringing in my ears).
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

12. - Top - End - #672
    Orc in the Playground

It's spelled malapropism. After Mrs. Malaprop, in fact, a character in an 18th-century play who'd often make mix-ups with her words. The more you know...

I am a spelling wizard.
    cool avatar by araveugnitsuga

----

Spoiler
    Show

and what

13. - Top - End - #673

Quote Originally Posted by Snares View Post
    It's spelled malapropism. After Mrs. Malaprop, in fact, a character in an 18th-century play who'd often make mix-ups with her words. The more you know...

I am a spelling wizard.
    I've been up doing assorted housework and academic work since six this morning. Tired Koorly is so tired she doesn't even care if she spelled something incorrectly.
    This means she's so tired, she doesn't need to sleep for yet several more hours.
    Or at least the Koorly is physically incapable of sleeping for several more hours. The other side of exhaustion is sparkly. And hungry.

Floccinauccinihipilification.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

14. - Top - End - #674

When I was six years old, GameBoy had only been out for 4 months!
    When I was six, they had just released the original Donkey Kong.
    I happily relinquish the Old Man Hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Mattos View Post
    I got through with a screwdriver
    Sonic or regular?

"Mum, I'm locked out of my room! Can you get me my lockpicks/my screwdriver/my brother to help me lift the door off its hinges?
    . . .
    "No, Dad called earlier, he's not going to be home until six tomorrow morning and I need to get my work done tonight.
    . . .
    "Nah, it's fine. I've done this before."
    Yet more valuable skills of the ineffable Koorly.

Use a piece of paper, credit card or other thin strip of material. It's much stealthier and a very useful skill to learn.
    Because, and trsut me here, it's quite easy to learn, and is such a simple trick, yet it impresses everyone so very easily.
    Credit cards (And other similar cards) can even be used for sneakily unlocking some of the buildings in uni which only certain people are allowed into.

Most bedrooms have locks, AFAIK, it being rare for a bedroom not to have some locking mechanism, however ineffective or poorly designed.
    In ordinary residential houses? Trogland is crazy. None of the rooms in my house have any kind of locking mechanism.

I've been up doing assorted housework and academic work since six this morning. Tired Koorly is so tired she doesn't even care if she spelled something incorrectly.

This means she's so tired, she doesn't need to sleep for yet several more hours.
    Or at least the Koorly is physically incapable of sleeping for several more hours. The other side of exhaustion is sparkly. And hungry.
    Strange how that works, isn't it?

Fixed for you. Sorry.
    Edit: OK, that's kind of unclear. The bolded C is also struck through.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2010-09-11 at 05:43 PM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

15. - Top - End - #675

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Yet more valuable skills of the ineffable Koorly.
    What can I say, I'm a wretched villain descended from a long line of wretched pieces of scum and villains.
    Sherlock Holmes may have art in the blood, but I have villainy there. And reading.

Credit cards (And other similar cards) can even be used for sneakily unlocking some of the buildings in uni which only certain people are allowed into.
    All the places I need to get to regularly in uni are unguarded. Iust open the door and walk in. Aside from the Bod, but there you have to present the card to the lady at the desk, so we're diceless there.

In ordinary residential houses? Trogland is crazy. None of the rooms in my house have any kind of locking mechanism.
    We did. But those houses were maybe forty years old at best.
    I never used mine outisde of my first week there anyway.
    Heck, on several occasions I completely forget to even shut my door, and not one thing disappeared. Noone even went in.
    I could tell by the footprints on the carpeting.

I know. Who'd have though?

Strange how that works, isn't it?
    Annoying too, as I can be absolutely kahnackered only a couple of hours after waking up as well.

Fixed for you. Sorry.
    Edit: OK, that's kind of unclear. The bolded C is also struck through.
    Like she said, exhaustion steals spelling. The only reason I can guarantee spelling antidisestablishmentarianism (oh the irony if I typo'd that) correctly is because I was dared to learn it in Y5. And so I did.
    Not hard.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

16. - Top - End - #676
    Orc in the Playground

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

And I can actually spell that without looking it up. It's my party trick. That and polyhexamethyleneadipamide.

And I suppose I have a bit of an advantage, what with having woken up at quarter to twelve this morning...

----

Spoiler
    Show

and what

17. - Top - End - #677

Quote Originally Posted by Snares View Post
    Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

And I can actually spell that without looking it up. It's my party trick. That and polyhexamethyleneadipamide.

And I suppose I have a bit of an advantage, what with having woken up at quarter to twelve this morning...
    Ah. Bu Mi - eighteen hours.

Grahrg.

If you're not careful I'll speak at you in French and Old English. And you know I will.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

18. - Top - End - #678

Grahrg.

If you're not careful I'll speak at you in French and Old English. And you know I will.
    Man, you should speak at us in some sort of weird, common-sense-bending mix of French and Old English. That would be a really strange language, don'tcha think?
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Orc in the Playground

Grahrg.

And if you do that, I'll speak at you in German, and the language I made up when I was 13. Or at least what I can remember of it. I'm not sure if it even counts as a language anyway, it was more a weird way of encoding words to get new ones that were still 'speakable' (most of the time) and I had a little grammatical system to go with it, albeit one that was pretty similar to English...

----

Spoiler
    Show

and what

20. - Top - End - #680

All the places I need to get to regularly in uni are unguarded. Iust open the door and walk in. Aside from the Bod, but there you have to present the card to the lady at the desk, so we're diceless there.
    Some places at Newcastle you have to wave your card at a thing and some of them only work for certain people, like the music practice rooms. But any card waved at the thing would partially unlock it enough so you could then slip some other card in to lever open the rest of the lock.

We did. But those houses were maybe forty years old at best.
    I never used mine outisde of my first week there anyway.
    Heck, on several occasions I completely forget to even shut my door, and not one thing disappeared. Noone even went in.
    I could tell by the footprints on the carpeting.
    I meant my home house. Student house had one of those chain things on my bedroom door and a bolt on the bathroom door. Not sure about the other bedrooms.

Do it! I'll like it anyway, even though I won't understand it (Well, some of the French I might, but not the Old English).
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

21. - Top - End - #681

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Man, you should speak at us in some sort of weird, common-sense-bending mix of French and Old English. That would be a really strange language, don'tcha think?
    Oh it'd definitely break common sense. One's Romantic, has a vocabulary of about 70 000 words and a much more regulated grammatical system.
    The other is Germanic, has a limited vocabulary - many of which are hapax legomena (words which only appear once in the entire corpus of OE) - and it's grammar is fairly regular, but very complex.
    In addition, as much of the OE I personally know without having several dictionaries to hand is poetic. It will be much more strictly condensed, because it follows the OE poetic forms. There are compounds and kennings (think an entire metaphor condensed into one word) and then there's the fact that OE is massively inflected so word order doesn't really matter at all. Plus OE doesn't often use determiners or function words, they're quite often implied; whereas French has (to an English speaker) way too many of them.
    Oh, and OE occasionally has macrons, but it depends on the edition you're using, so tere's another barrel of problems there.

It'd be possible in a pidgin sense, but massively complicated.

Min nama Koorly - My name (implied: is) Koorly.
    Ie suis Koorly - I am Koorly.

Ich eom modcearig - I am tired/wretched (lit:mind/heart/soul-weary).
    Ie suis fatiguee - I am fatigued.

See?

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

22. - Top - End - #682

Oh, I know all that. I know a touch of OE, and a lot of French. I was just taking stabs at ME.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Titan in the Playground

Min nama Koorly - My name (implied: is) Koorly.

Ich eom modcearig - I am tired/wretched (lit:mind/heart/soul-weary).
    Given that both Old English and Swedish is Germanic, it isn't really surprising, but both of these make at least some sense to me. Especially the first sentence.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2010-09-11 at 06:47 PM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

24. - Top - End - #684

Some places at Newcastle you have to wave your card at a thing and some of them only work for certain people, like the music practice rooms. But any card waved at the thing would partially unlock it enough so you could then slip some other card in to lever open the rest of the lock.
    o.o
    I'll keep note of that iust in case I decide I want to go see the optics labs at the Physics Department.

I meant my home house. Student house had one of those chain things on my bedroom door and a bolt on the bathroom door. Not sure about the other bedrooms.
    Aaaahhh, that makes more sense.

Do it! I'll like it anyway, even though I won't understand it (Well, some of the French I might, but not the Old English).
    Please see above.
    And below:
    [[OE (and OE translation)= blue, French (and French translation) = green]]

Thufir is his nama, il est fort dans l'arene de mathematiques, se beadu mid feonda langsum. Mais il est triomphant!

[spoiler]
    Thufir is his name,he is strong in the arena of mathematicsthe battle with his enemies long-lasting. But he is triumphant!

Oh, I know all that. I know a touch of OE, and a lot of French. I was just taking stabs at ME.
    MdE's okay. It's a little more difficult than that though as MdE also has a good amount of Old Norse (especially Oop North) and a lot of Latin thanks to Norman French nobility, the Church and the courts of law.
    Plus there're many dialects of MdE such as Kentish, East Midlands, Northumbrian, the one by the Welsh borders . . . I forget the rest.

And that's not even taking into account the four hundred year time span. The MdE of Ancrene Wisse is vastly different from that of Chaucer or the Gawain Poet, let along that of Malory.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Given that both Old English and Swedish is Germanic, it isn't really surprising, but both of these make at least some sense to me. Especially the first sentence.
    I could go into more detail, but laziness.

The first one's pretty easy though as, for the English speakers, it's sillily similar to 'My (mine) name is Koorly)'
    And as all English pronouns are Germanic they'd pass pretty easily in most of the other Germanic languages.

The 'modcearig' is a kenning found in The Wanderer which is why it's a little alien. But if you break it down:

mod (pronounced basically like 'mood' but a little shorter) = heart/thought/mind. Mind as in someone's mood.
    cearig is harder. But if you know that 'g' if it is at the beginning or end of a word (generally - pronounciation is complicated) silent, and the 'c' can be either 'ch' as in church or 'k' as in kirk you get 'kirey' (rough transpronounciation). But it looks a lot like the English word 'weary' or tired.

Hence tired in mind/thought-weary etc.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2010-09-11 at 06:54 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

25. - Top - End - #685

MdE's okay. It's a little more difficult than that though as MdE also has a good amount of Old Norse (especially Oop North) and a lot of Latin thanks to Norman French nobility, the Church and the courts of law.
    Plus there're many dialects of MdE such as Kentish, East Midlands, Northumbrian, the one by the Welsh borders . . . I forget the rest.

And that's not even taking into account the four hundred year time span. The MdE of Ancrene Wisse is vastly different from that of Chaucer or the Gawain Poet, let along that of Malory.
    Bah, I meant modern English. Is the mE? I forget which acronym's which!

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

26. - Top - End - #686

OE is Old English.
    MdE is Middle English.
    EMdE is Early Modern English.
    MdnE is Modern English.

That's how I use them, and I'm fairly sure they're all correct. I remember you need the 'n' of Mdn to specify Modern rather than Middle.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

27. - Top - End - #687

Aaaahhh, that makes more sense.
    Of course, there's limited use to being able to lock my bedroom only from the inside. But my housemates wouldn't have dared go in there without my permission anyway.

You could iust type out the full thing rather than abbreviating it.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

28. - Top - End - #688
    Troll in the Playground

Just thought I'd clarify;
    I have never lived in a house with locks on bedroom doors. Atleast, no ones my dad put in himself.

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

29. - Top - End - #689

OE is Old English.
    MdE is Middle English.
    EMdE is Early Modern English.
    MdnE is Modern English.

That's how I use them, and I'm fairly sure they're all correct. I remember you need the 'n' of Mdn to specify Modern rather than Middle.
    Just thought of something. Hey Curly, doesn't lacking a 'j' key make acronym's with a 'j' absolute hell?

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

30. - Top - End - #690

Just thought of something. Hey Curly, doesn't lacking a 'j' key make acronym's with a 'j' absolute hell?
    It does. I have to stab the keyboard so hard you can hear the thack! in the next room. Not to mention it's got to be in the perfect spot.

I can type a 'J', but it's easier to go I/i when everyone knows (or can extrapolate) why I'm typing the way I type.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!