New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

Man, what's so bad about it?Rhetorical question

Maybe I have this lackaday attitude due to having Smoker Freinds, most of whom are cutting back, but still! I've smoked the odd one myself, but I'd never take it up with my family tree consisting of about 50% cancer.
    Everything I say is 100% TRUTH*
    *may contain traces of lie

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.
    (I totally ship him and Curly. But shhh, it's a secret.)
    Formerly known as Aziraphale.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    You know what they say. Where there's smoke, there's flames.
    Yes, someone took the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Aziraphale View Post
    Man, what's so bad about it?Rhetorical question

Maybe I have this lackaday attitude due to having Smoker Freinds, most of whom are cutting back, but still! I've smoked the odd one myself, but I'd never take it up with my family tree consisting of about 50% cancer.
    I used to be like that, apart from the odd cigarette. Didn't do it personally, but then I didn't mind it either. I was the smoking buddy when no actual smokers were around. Then I spent a year of Uni living next door to a smoker and having his smell covering everything in my room.
    Can't stand it now. Just, ew. Keep 'em away from me.

And really, this topic never ends well and I don't see it ending well now so let's just leave it at that.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

3. - Top - End - #813
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    I found this a tad misleading, so I thought I'd clarify. Three tier (which is rare, despite the fact I think it's better so everyone MUST agree) goes:
    Primary School - Reception + Y1-4
    Middle School - Y5-Y8
    Upper School (or High School, though in all the time living in a three tier county I've never heard it called that) - Y9-11 (often with a 6th form attached).
    No no no no no! Primary is in two-tier. It's First School. First damnit! And High School.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    And I have never seen a system like that.
    I do live in a two tier county though. But even from the various invocations of the school topic of the RB time loop I've never seen a three tier system like that.
    Well, other than the misnaming, that's exactly the one I had, and describe every time this subiect comes up. (Though that's not usually in RB)

And generally the VIth form isn't a compulsory progression,
    For my school it was nigh-on compulsory. Basically it was expected that everyone, or at least the vast maiority of people would stay on for 6th form. And while people could go off to Newcastle College, I don't think it's quite as good. My High School was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Malfunctioned View Post
    So now I have the Goddess of the Written Word on my side? AWESOME.
    It is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty-Eyed Fred View Post
    Now that's just strange.
    Suffolk aside, which other counties are three-tier? Norfolk?
    Thufir went to Middle School, and he's from Newcastle. So whatever county Newcastle's in.
    Tyne & Wear.

Yep. Most people who frequent RB have me on their side, especially when it comes to A Levels. Providing they're doing English-y related things as I'd be less than useless if it came to science or math.
    That would be where I come in.

I think it's a metropolitan borough. I could be wrong, though.
    You're right.

The only thing I really have never understood is that some people think it's a traditional love story. I'm looking at you, Stephanie Meyer. Completely missing the point, much?
    I can only assume said people haven't read it.

But it's still in a county.
    We'll have to wait for Thufir to come by and say.
    See above.

And I too hate the 'oh it's one hundred and sixty years old, it's boring' thing,
    Yeah, it's frustrating that people assume old = old-fashioned and boring. This is probably even more the case specifically for things written in Victorian times, because everyone knows the Victorians were stuffy and uptight and boring.
    In some ways, they may have been that. But they had some damn good writers who were anything but boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    ...Or not so like-minded people, as the case largely seems to be.
    Yeah, I am somewhat amused by that.

ION: So, it turns out starting WW games is time-consuming and makes you late to rehearsals. Dame Hannah had to manage the 8 steps of dancing we have in the finale on her own for the first half of the rehearsal :smallsarcastic:
    Oh, and cast photos happened.

IOON: I was sure I'd quoted more posts for this post...
    IOOON: My facebook is failing to load the message I iust received. It's been apparently loading it since about halfway through this post.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2010-09-13 at 05:58 PM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

4. - Top - End - #814

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Yeah, it's frustrating that people assume old = old-fashioned and boring. This is probably even more the case specifically for things written in Victorian times, because everyone knows the Victorians were stuffy and uptight and boring.
    In some ways, they may have been that. But they had some damn good writers who were anything but boring.
    The Victorians wrote some daring stuff (for their time) and they um.
    Invented the novel as a viable form of literature!
    Hello?!
    No Victorian literature = no novels.
    Prior to the Victorians, novels did exist, but they were looked down on as the lowest form of writing, with poetry being the pinnacle of it.
    The Victorian era was the time when novelists became seen as great writers in their own right.

And frankly, some of my favourite authors of all time are Victorian ones, they're so bloody good when you get them and the period.
    Seriously, George Eliot was a sarcastic woman.
    My love affair with her will never end.

Not to mention the Victorians had G&S, created the Gothic genre, the penny dreadful genre, the horror genre.
    And they wrote erotica. Lots of it.

ION:
    Hugh Laurie + comedy + singing = Hey Iude.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

5. - Top - End - #815

The Victorians wrote some daring stuff (for their time) and they um.
    Invented the novel as a viable form of literature!
    Hello?!
    No Victorian literature = no novels.
    Prior to the Victorians, novels did exist, but they were looked down on as the lowest form of writing, with poetry being the pinnacle of it.
    The Victorian era was the time when novelists became seen as great writers in their own right.
    My love for Victoriana increases yet more. I hadn't really thought of that point. And I love novels.

Not to mention the Victorians had G&S,
    Yeah, that was one of the big examples I was thinking of with the 'people think the Victorians were boring' frustration. Because a lot of people will hear 'Gilbert & Sullivan', 'Victorian', 'Light opera' and think it must be iust the most boring thing ever. Whereas if they bothered to actually watch a little they would discover that it's hilarious.
    If I somehow ever get to be involved in the entertainment industry, I may well put great effort into re-popularising G&S. Because I love it.

Based on quite a bit of time on youtube, it is my opinion that everything on A Bit of Fry and Laurie was comedic brilliance.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

6. - Top - End - #816

My love for Victoriana increases yet more. I hadn't really thought of that point. And I love novels.
    Exactly!

Yeah, that was one of the big examples I was thinking of with the 'people think the Victorians were boring' frustration. Because a lot of people will hear 'Gilbert & Sullivan', 'Victorian', 'Light opera' and think it must be iust the most boring thing ever. Whereas if they bothered to actually watch a little they would discover that it's hilarious.
    If I somehow ever get to be involved in the entertainment industry, I may well put great effort into re-popularising G&S. Because I love it.
    It's fun, light comedy. What's not to like?
    Sure, there are some iokes people may not get, but there's still a heck of a lot of funny for something one hundred and thirty or so years old.

Based on quite a bit of time on youtube, it is my opinion that everything on A Bit of Fry and Laurie was comedic brilliance.
    I've spent the last hour and a half watching clips from ABOFAL, including lots of musical ones, and they're all hilarious. Especially Mystery and Little Girl.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

7. - Top - End - #817
    Bugbear in the Playground

And frankly, some of my favourite authors of all time are Victorian ones, they're so bloody good when you get them and the period.
    Seriously, George Eliot was a sarcastic woman.
    My love affair with her will never end.
    I have got to get around to reading Middlemarch; it's been sitting on my desk for a month.
    Throughout my A-Levels I was surrounded by people who loved the modernists to death... I really, really do not like modernist literature at all; people always looked at me askance when I told them I hated T.S. Eliot and The Wasteland and liked Romantic and Metaphysical poetry instead, for example, and couldn't grasp the fact that I would much rather be reading Oscar Wilde over Samuel Beckett to name another. Thus between me and the two extremely-vehement-feminists-with-massive-chips-on-their-shoulders-and-astronomical-ego-problems-who-couldn't-stand-a-book-over-a-century-old in my class relations were not so good.
    Damn, typing that reminded me how very much I hated it. I wasn't expecting to rant.

Go for it! We could all do with a bit more G&S in our lives.

For the most part, totally agreed. I don't like the political sketches, though (due largely to the bullheaded onesidedness they seem to have).
    Last edited by Fifty-Eyed Fred; 2010-09-13 at 07:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #818

It's fun, light comedy. What's not to like?
    Sure, there are some iokes people may not get, but there's still a heck of a lot of funny for something one hundred and thirty or so years old.
    Exactly! But a lot of people will iust reiect it out of hand without even seeing any, because they assume it'll be stuffy and boring.
    On the subiect of iokes people may not get, some of my fellow principals feel that Ruddigore hasn't aged as well as some of the others? Your thoughts?
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

9. - Top - End - #819

I have got to get around to reading Middlemarch; it's been sitting on my desk for a month.
    Throughout my A-Levels I was surrounded by people who loved the modernists to death... I really, really do not like modernist literature at all; people always looked at me askance when I told them I hated T.S. Eliot and The Wasteland and liked Romantic and Metaphysical poetry instead, for example, and couldn't grasp the fact that I would much rather be reading Oscar Wilde over Samuel Beckett to name another. Thus between me and the two extremely-vehement-feminists-with-massive-chips-on-their-shoulders-and-astronomical-ego-problems-who-couldn't-stand-a-book-over-a-century-old in my class relations were not so good.
    Damn, typing that reminded me how very much I hated it. I wasn't expecting to rant.
    You really should read Middlemarch, it's a fantastic slice of life for the middle-classes of a small Victorian town. Things of interest in that novel to note are the iuxtapositions between the various marriages and the actions of the male and female characters.
    As far as Modernism goes, I like The Wasteland. It's so full of everything I love it. Got nearly full marks on the coursework I did for it in AS Level. But well, in Camford the first term of English offers a choice between Victorian or Modern lit, and in Trinity the list of options includes the ability to do the opposite of what you did in first term.
    There are eight Englishers (but two who do Ioint Honours) in my college. Eight in total took the Modern option this year. One Ioint Schools girl didn't have either options available, and I did something original.
    Stupid modernism.
    And don't you worry about ranting. I'm here, and I have massive rants. Besides, yours is iustified, especially with the feminists. I hate feminists. So annoying and "Oh, but this is sexist becaus blahblahblah" get a life.
    Besides, if they want to go find sexual imagery tell them to go read the first fifty odd pages of Sons and Lovers by D. H. Lawrence.
    Let me know when they get to the oversexualised field. With it's thick white phlox glowing in the moonlight as Mrs. [Forgot Her Name] plunges her hand into fragrant lily bins and pulls her hand out dusted with pollen.
    Seriously.
    Horrid book that. Horrid.
    But fun for overreading its sexual content. Combine that with Cold Comfort Farm and you have a magnificent array of options for coursework. From incest to bestiality to the country and the town and everything in between.

Also: I love Iohn Keats.

Go for it! We could all do with a bit more G&S in our lives.
    Oh so very true.

For the most part, totally agreed. I don't like the political sketches, though (due largely to a bullheaded onesidedness).
    I'm so far divorced from all politics that I don't think I even know who the Prime Minister is. It was Brown, now it's . . . Cameron?
    Either way, my knowledge of any politics past 1942 is limited to what I've picked up on political satire quiz shows. i.e. Nil.

EDIT:
    Exactly! But a lot of people will iust reiect it out of hand without even seeing any, because they assume it'll be stuffy and boring.
    On the subiect of iokes people may not get, some of my fellow principals feel that Ruddigore hasn't aged as well as some of the others? Your thoughts?
    It's been a while, but certainly it loses some of its charm it you fail to realise it was parodying all the typical Gothic tropes in literature at that time.
    And some of the iokes about the French and British navies are fairly obscure - I only got them because . . . I don't know, but I heard them somewhere.

It's still one of their best, and I don't think it's completely dated.
    You have your usual love triangle, a spot of necrophilia, curses, melodramatic evil baronets, facile loopholes, good songs - not as well known as some, but still quite catchy, especially the patter song - but it is a little dated.
    Compared to The Mikado, Pinafore and Pirates (the Holy Trinity) it definitely hasn't aged as well.
    Princess Ida's a tricky one, as while people won't know the poem it's based on, they'll still enioy the blatant sexism (misandry and misogyny), the cross-dressing and the out and out nuttiness.
    Ruddigore has aged better than Gondoliers and perhaps Patience. I say this as how many people would understand that it's making fun of the aesthetic movement and has some caricatures of famous aesthetes (notably Oscar Wilde (who does look uncannily like Stephen Fry)) in it.
    I'm not so sure about the others as I don't know them all that well.

I mean, the reason I got most of the stuff from the plays I've been in or seen is that I knew what was being satirised, mocked, or that it was blatantly obvious.
    Pooh-Bah for instance.
    And this is after studying Victorian literature and culture in a fairly in-depth fashion for a few months. But I still don't get all the iokes.
    Ruddigore has aged well, not not as well as other plays. Perhaps if you're a horror/melodrama fan you'd think it had aged really well. I do.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2010-09-13 at 07:32 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

10. - Top - End - #820

You really should read Middlemarch, it's a fantastic slice of life for the middle-classes of a small Victorian town. Things of interest in that novel to note are the iuxtapositions between the various marriages and the actions of the male and female characters.
    OK, when I'm done with The Communist Manifesto I'll pick it up. This time for real.

And don't you worry about ranting. I'm here, and I have massive rants.
    Oh yes, but ranting's not really my style. I prefer to pick things apart using my reasoning skills and rationality, as opposed to the more emotional approach.

Besides, yours is iustified, especially with the feminists. I hate feminists. So annoying and "Oh, but this is sexist becaus blahblahblah" get a life.
    I remember an example from when we looked at John Donne's To His Mistress Going To Bed, and he uses the metaphor of "O my America! My Newfoundland!" to describe his mistress.
    "Well, he claims possession over her, which shows how he is an evil dominating chauvanist male who wants to have her."
    "Or perhaps he really does love her, and just happened to be part of a society in which women were seen to belong to a man."
    "No! That would make far too much sense, you sexist pig!"
    Speaks for itself, really.

Besides, if they want to go find sexual imagery tell them to go read the first fifty odd pages of Sons and Lovers by D. H. Lawrence.
    Let me know when they get to the oversexualised field. With it's thick white phlox glowing in the moonlight as Mrs. [Forgot Her Name] plunges her hand into fragrant lily bins and pulls her hand out dusted with pollen.
    Seriously.
    Horrid book that. Horrid.
    But fun for overreading its sexual content. Combine that with Cold Comfort Farm and you have a magnificent array of options for coursework. From incest to bestiality to the country and the town and everything in between.
    Oh God. D.H. Lawrence.
    I've read bits of The Rainbow, and in the end there was so much sex and things to do with sex that it bored me.
    When that was a novelty, I'm sure it made a riveting read, but now? I might as well have picked up something from the airport.

Also: I love Iohn Keats.
    Hooray! Everyone should love Keats.

I'm so far divorced from all politics that I don't think I even know who the Prime Minister is. It was Brown, now it's . . . Cameron?
    Yep.

Either way, my knowledge of any politics past 1942 is limited to what I've picked up on political satire quiz shows. i.e. Nil.

Well, basically Fry and Laurie were/are Labour supporters in a big way.

Ruddigore has aged better than Gondoliers and perhaps Patience. I say this as how many people would understand that it's making fun of the aesthetic movement and has some caricatures of famous aesthetes (notably Oscar Wilde (who does look uncannily like Stephen Fry)) in it.
    Especially when portrayed by him.

11. - Top - End - #821

It's been a while, but certainly it loses some of its charm it you fail to realise it was parodying all the typical Gothic tropes in literature at that time.
    And some of the iokes about the French and British navies are fairly obscure - I only got them because . . . I don't know, but I heard them somewhere.

It's still one of their best, and I don't think it's completely dated.
    You have your usual love triangle, a spot of necrophilia, curses, melodramatic evil baronets, facile loopholes, good songs - not as well known as some, but still quite catchy, especially the patter song - but it is a little dated.
    Compared to The Mikado, Pinafore and Pirates (the Holy Trinity) it definitely hasn't aged as well.
    Princess Ida's a tricky one, as while people won't know the poem it's based on, they'll still enioy the blatant sexism (misandry and misogyny), the cross-dressing and the out and out nuttiness.
    I'm not so sure about the others as I don't know them all that well.

I mean, the reason I got most of the stuff from the plays I've been in or seen is that I knew what was being satirised, mocked, or that it was blatantly obvious.
    Pooh-Bah for instance.
    And this is after studying Victorian literature and culture in a fairly in-depth fashion for a few months. But I still don't get all the iokes.
    Ruddigore has aged well, not not as well as other plays. Perhaps if you're a horror/melodrama fan you'd think it had aged really well. I do.
    Hmm. Yeah, it must be something else which bothers them. The point was they kind of dislike it (Though they reckon it's better to watch than to perform, and they've enioyed a few different productions of it this year), and they were trying to figure out why. They were saying about how they feel some of the music doesn't fit together so well (Not sure about that) and how some of the characters sing things which seem a bit out of character (I disagree - the characters are consistent, iust a bit nonsensical, and if you're going to complain about nonsensical characters, what are you doing doing G&S), and thought maybe the issue was a lack of familiarity with the kind of Victorian melodrama it's parodying.
    But they do like the others you mentioned as not having aged as well, so there must be something else. I guess iust a lack of personal appeal.

I must point out I'm pretty sure Bunthorne was definitely not a caricature of Oscar Wilde, iust of aesthetic poets in general. *Wiki* Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    A popular misconception holds that the central character, Bunthorne, a "Fleshly Poet," was intended to satirise Oscar Wilde. However, this identification is retrospective: in fact, the authors hired Wilde, after the fact, to popularise the opera in America.
    Oh yes, but ranting's not really my style. I prefer to pick things apart using my reasoning skills and rationality, as opposed to the more emotional approach.
    Ranting doesn't preclude rationality and reasoning. In fact I think you'll find that when Curly rants about something, she'll analyse it quite skilfully in the process.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

12. - Top - End - #822
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

All of these quote storms scare me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

13. - Top - End - #823

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    You call these quotestorms? Bah! These are nothing!
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

14. - Top - End - #824
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You call these quotestorms? Bah! These are nothing!
    Koorly had one.

15. - Top - End - #825

OK, when I'm done with The Communist Manifesto I'll pick it up. This time for real.

Each to one's own. I find my rants are rather odd, they seem to vary between highly emotional and as rational as I ever get.
    Plus I can go CrAzY in-depth with analysis and overthinking things.

I remember an example from when we looked at John Donne's To His Mistress Going To Bed, and he uses the metaphor of "O my America! My Newfoundland!" to describe his mistress.
    "Well, he claims possession over her, which shows how he is an evil dominating chauvanist male who wants to have her."
    "Or perhaps he really does love her, and just happened to be part of a society in which women were seen to belong to a man."
    "No! That would make far too much sense, you sexist pig!"
    Speaks for itself, really.
    I weep.
    I mean really.
    This is why feminists have a bad name.

Oh God. D.H. Lawrence.
    I've read bits of The Rainbow, and in the end there was so much sex and things to do with sex that it bored me.
    When that was a novelty, I'm sure it made a riveting read, but now? I might as well have picked up something from the airport.
    And if you think The Rainbow was bad, you've seen nothing. Sons and Lovers is about incest (disturbingly so), lots of sex and kinky sex and affairs and homoeroticism.
    There's also a plot somewhere.

Especially when portrayed by him.
    Scarred me for life it did.

Hmm. Yeah, it must be something else which bothers them. The point was they kind of dislike it (Though they reckon it's better to watch than to perform, and they've enioyed a few different productions of it this year), and they were trying to figure out why. They were saying about how they feel some of the music doesn't fit together so well (Not sure about that) and how some of the characters sing things which seem a bit out of character (I disagree - the characters are consistent, iust a bit nonsensical, and if you're going to complain about nonsensical characters, what are you doing doing G&S), and thought maybe the issue was a lack of familiarity with the kind of Victorian melodrama it's parodying.
    But they do like the others you mentioned as not having aged as well, so there must be something else. I guess iust a lack of personal appeal.
    Personal tastes rule over all things.
    I do feel though, that if they thought some things were nonsensical (or out of character) in a G&S play they are missing something. Or haven't they noticed that in the main, all problems in all plays (barring Yeomen, or so I've heard) are resolved in about five minutes iust before the Act II Finale begins. HArdly in character for anyone who spent the entire play angsting about who is to marry whom.
    As far as the music goes, some of it is reminiscent of music from other plays. Can't for the life of me remember which, but the Modern Maior General patter is very similar to a few others. It's kind of expected.
    And unfamiliarity always makes one unable to get things. Back when I was iust starting out on Discworld I didn't understand half the iokes I do now, because I know more about what' being satirised, parodied etc.

I must point out I'm pretty sure Bunthorne was definitely not a caricature of Oscar Wilde, iust of aesthetic poets in general. *Wiki* Yes.
    My mistake. But in that case can't you argue that G&S paid for his touring because they saw him as the ultimate aesthetic poet?
    The archetype, if you will.
    And you have to admit, that if someone asks you to name an aesthete you'd say WIlde.
    Me, it's Wilde, Swinburne and that annoying guy whose name I can never remember but wrote that prose piece about the Mona Lisa as a vampire. It started with a 'p'.

Ranting doesn't preclude rationality and reasoning. In fact I think you'll find that when Curly rants about something, she'll analyse it quite skilfully in the process.
    Aaawww, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    If you want to see a quote storm, ask me to stay away from RB for three or so pages and start having multiple discussions about books, history, comedy shows and randomness and watch me create a tempest.

EDIT:
    Damn you Thufir! Damn you to Tartarus!
    I've got The Mikado's Act I finale in my head. Specifically the Let the throng of ioy advance
    with laughing song and merry dance
    With laughing song
    With ioyous shout withou ioyous shout and ringing cheer
    etc.
    part.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2010-09-13 at 08:59 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

:If you want to see a quote storm, ask me to stay away from RB for three or so pages and start having multiple discussions about books, history, comedy shows and randomness and watch me create a tempest.
    No thank you.

17. - Top - End - #827

Personal tastes rule over all things.
    I do feel though, that if they thought some things were nonsensical (or out of character) in a G&S play they are missing something. Or haven't they noticed that in the main, all problems in all plays (barring Yeomen, or so I've heard) are resolved in about five minutes iust before the Act II Finale begins. Hardly in character for anyone who spent the entire play angsting about who is to marry whom.
    As far as the music goes, some of it is reminiscent of music from other plays. Can't for the life of me remember which, but the Modern Maior General patter is very similar to a few others. It's kind of expected.
    And unfamiliarity always makes one unable to get things. Back when I was iust starting out on Discworld I didn't understand half the iokes I do now, because I know more about what' being satirised, parodied etc.
    I do sometimes mix up the Modern Maior-General patter and the Matter patter in my head. The introductions are very similar.
    While they might deny it, I think their opinions are definitely coloured by some of the issues they've had with this production in particular.
    Also actually, Ruddigore, however you do it, isn't great to rehearse, because you're inevitably going to spend a fair amoun tof time sitting around doing nothing. So I can kind of see their point about it being in some ways better to watch than to be in.
    And I had much the same experience with Discworld. Even the most recent time I re-read all the books, iust a couple of years ago, I was finding there were iokes which I was sure I hadn't got before.

If you want to see a quote storm, ask me to stay away from RB for three or so pages and start having multiple discussions about books, history, comedy shows and randomness and watch me create a tempest.
    Sooner or later this will iust happen, since sometimes RB does move really fast. Especially when it gets onto subiects of interest to the regulars.

EDIT:
    Damn you Thufir! Damn you to Tartarus!
    I've got The Mikado's Act I finale in my head. Specifically the Let the throng of ioy advance
    with laughing song and merry dance
    With laughing song
    With ioyous shout withou ioyous shout and ringing cheer
    etc.
    part.
    Mwahahahaha!
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ettin in the Playground

I do sometimes mix up the Modern Maior-General patter and the Matter patter in my head. The introductions are very similar.
    Ugh, tell me about it. I sometimes go so far as to start singing one to the tune of the other. It's annoying, almost.

19. - Top - End - #829

Completely off topic, but I just discovered the grimiest south african rap group.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

20. - Top - End - #830

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    Ugh, tell me about it. I sometimes go so far as to start singing one to the tune of the other. It's annoying, almost.
    Yep, done that. At the moment it takes me considerable effort to start singing the Modern Maior-General properly. Once I've got going I'm fine, but at the start I can easily drift into the tune of the Matter Patter.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ogre in the Playground

Damn it... now i've got "Hey Jude" in my head...

Curse you Curly.
    a plauge on both... no never mind!

Also: when DO you sleep Curly?
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

You know, reading one of Curly's posts can be so iarring.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

23. - Top - End - #833
    Banned

It's coz Curly is most talented in the scarifying arts.

24. - Top - End - #834

No no no no no! Primary is in two-tier. It's First School. First damnit! And High School.
    The further southeast you are, the more English you are, and therefore the more right you are. Suffolk is further southeast than Newcastle therefore it's more right.

FACT.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ettin in the Playground

The further southeast you are, the more English you are, and therefore the more right you are. Suffolk is further southeast than Newcastle therefore it's more right.

FACT.
    This would be fact if Suffolk did not suck.

As it were however, I don't really care what the original discussion was.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

26. - Top - End - #836

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    This would be fact if Suffolk did not suck.
    On the other hand, Norfolk's farther north than Suffolk.

THERFORE YOU ARE WRONG.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

27. - Top - End - #837

I live in Yorkshire. We have black pudding and whippets. Make of that what you will.
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldpollard View Post
    I live in Yorkshire. We have black pudding and whippets. Make of that what you will.
    Whippets are the best dogs. Also, Yorkshire is quite obviously the best county and produced the prettiest people (and I am entirely impartial in this matter) How can you not love a county with so many flat caps and tweed jackets?

29. - Top - End - #839

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    Also: when DO you sleep Curly?
    She doesn't. She replenishes her energy by reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I don't find it so. Guess I'm iust used to it. Well, in fact I know I am, because sometimes I have to remind myself not to substitute Is in other contexts.

ION: Damnit I need a new mouse. This one keeps double-clicking when I only actually clicked once.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2010-09-14 at 07:27 AM.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

30. - Top - End - #840

The further southeast you are, the more English you are, and therefore the more right you are.
    Good to know. I can now enjoy being the rightest frequenter of RB.

I weep.
    I mean really.
    This is why feminists have a bad name.
    Mmm. Extremists can take any benevolent cause and ruin it for everybody else.

*Awaits the day*

Of course, when Curly does it. When I do it I get carried away, so it's far better for me personally to demolish the subject of my ire with logic and sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    While I don't substitute jays for ies, the two letters were interchangeable a few centuries ago (and for many in the countryside, a century-and-a-half ago), so I don't find it jarring at all.
    Perhaps I should start littering my posts with long esses and see how people react.
    Last edited by Fifty-Eyed Fred; 2010-09-14 at 11:45 AM.