New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    I've only taken two years, so I could be wrong. I'm just getting back into French, school having started Wednesday, so I'm rusty and could be forgetting my rules.
    With my eight years of official French study and fluent parents, I'm agreeing with you. What other subjects you doing this year, Rai?

In other news, I hate haircuts. I love a good chat. I like being social, when I can be. I like fashion and beauty and all that stuff. They mix badly. It's hard to maintain a conversation when a guy has a buzzy thing floating near your head ready to turn you into Soylent Green, and the result of said "trim" is nearly always routinely brutal, and would be the one being up fashionable kids in the schoolyard, rather than being 'em.

Ah, well...
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    I had forgotten how bad the batteries were, though. They last perhaps only 2-3 hours on half screen brightness.
    2-3 hours is a hell of a lot better than my laptop.
    It's battery lasts about 39 minutes on lowest screen brightness, with the WiFi radio turned off. To say that it's slightly limited is an understatement.

Then again, i've had it for about 4-5 years now, and it's hooked up to the AC adapter pretty much all the time. But it's more of an easily movable desktop, than it is a laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    It's battery lasts about 39 minutes on lowest screen brightness, with the WiFi radio turned off. To say that it's slightly limited is an understatement.

Then again, i've had it for about 4-5 years now, and it's hooked up to the AC adapter pretty much all the time. But it's more of an easily movable desktop, than it is a laptop.
    Pfft.
    mine can only run Fallout 3 for 28 mins before the batttery warning beep starts screaming at me to plug it in!
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

My laptop has a battery life of about 20 mins, it's absurd. More technically minded people have told me it's because I always run it from the AC power and never let the battery run down. It just has to sit on my desk and work as a desktop. Eh, I have a netbook if I need to travel.

Also, reeeeeeeeeeally late, but:

. . .

Heck, I'd be in real trouble if I went to York because it is still legal to shoot a Welsh person with a longbow (or possibly a crossbow - there's a similar law somewhere else Oop North, but only with Scots) as long as they're within shooting distance of the city walls and it's a Sunday.
    We're allowed to shoot Scots in York - I've always heard it's with a longbow and so long as they're within the City walls, but not on Sundays. Also maybe only if they're in full battle dress, that requirement varies depending on who you ask.

I think it's Chester that you can shoot the Welsh. It would make more sense - the Welsh have invaded pretty far if they've got to York (but we're watching you, Welsh folks).

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

I can get about 3-4 hours from my M17 or about an hour with both graphic cards active and processor going full tilt.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post

Okay, I'm not really sure if I actually can get it over 2 hours. The "time left" timer is pretty unreliable.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

Everyone likes QI, and the Troglanders who see it on YouTube wish they could watch it on TV like us Britlanders.
    I think it's because it's so scatalogical. One moment they're discussing how bees buzz, and then they're talking about the single most ironic way to kill a bee or how best to utilise motorised tortoises, and then it's back to penises and sex iokes.
    Intelligent, whimsical and crude, who can't love it?
    Plus, Stephen Fry can bring in all the public school gay romp jokes. Who can't love it, indeed?
    Speaking of which, I'm going to see Stephen Fry later this month. I am most excited. I have no idea what he'll be talking about, but he can talk about anything with an ease of wit and delightful eloquence, so I doubt that'll be an issue.

:smallgasp:
    The Dictionary episode! No. The Acting episode.
    "Macbeth"
    "Arrgh. Hot potatoes, orchestra stalls, Puck shall make amends, akh!"
    "Ah, Dr. Johnson! Damn cold day!"
    "Indeed it is, sir, but a very fine one, for I celebrated last night the encyclopaedic implementation of my pre-meditated orchestration of demotic Anglo-Saxon."
    "...Nope, didn't catch any of that."
    "Well, I simply observed, sir, that I'm felicitous, since, during the course of the penultimate solar sojourn, I terminated my uninterrupted categorisation of the vocabulary of our post-Norman tongue."
    "Well, I don't know what you're talking about, but it sounds damned saucy, you lucky thing! I know some fairly liberal-minded girls, but I've never penultimated any of them in their solar sojourn, or for that matter been given any Norman tongue!"
    "I believe, sir, that the Doctor is trying to tell you that he is happy because he has finished his book. It has apparently taken him ten years."
    "Yes, well, I'm a slow reader myself."

Oh dear . . . Mansfield Park is the most boring book AUsten has written.
    NOOOO
    When you've finished it turn immediately to Persuasion, Emma or Northanger Abbey. The latter half of the latter book acually satirises the Victorian Gothic genre before it ever existed, mostly because it was satirsing the ROmantic Gothic, but they're slightly almost the same thing. I suppose what I should say is that Northanger anticipates the Victorian Gothic genre.
    YAAAAY
    So, what kind of things are on your reading list? Id it thematically based? By period? I am intrigued. Also: Amazon is your friend. Use and abuse it. Then turn to charity shops and fellow uni or ex-uni students.
    I've used, bruised and abused Amazon muchly.
    My reading list covers things from just about every period since the first thing I'm doing is Past and Present - pretty much the foundations of English Literature in context and the like. My other module for the moment I have to buy a lot less for, and it's Culture and Criticism - the theoretical stuff, literary criticism, movements, political and ideological influences - I'm looking forward to that a lot. I've got my fantastically big Literary Theory book in front of me right now and if I look at it any more I'll just end up reading all of it immediately.

Now, when it comes to books, I have a small fit of glee every time I find a - wait. WAIT.
    WAIT!
    It's the second of September!
    I Shall Wear Midnight has been released! :bigcool:
    I'm going to go town tomorrow, read it, come home, GEEK OUT.
    :glee: :glee: :glee: :glee: :glee: :glee: :glee: :glee: :glee: :glee:

Um. Yeah. I have a small-to-extremely-large fit of glee every time I find/read/buy a book I've been lusting after for ages.
    I'll be in my bunk. Happy happy days.
    I need to read more Discworld. I've probably read about 10 of them by now, but I need more!
    The Watch books are my favourites from what I've read, but I haven't read any of the Witches books yet so that could change.

Hugh Laurie's darling. It's the puppy dog eyes and his foppish silliness and general idiocy. Took him several weeks to fail at putting on trousers.
    However, Third does have a basic lack of Brian Blessed and Stephen Fry. Well, except for the last episode naturally.
    He's as happy as a Frenchman who's just invented a pair of self-removing trousers.

It's not So Bad It's Good, it's So Bad It's Awesome. That or So Cool It's Awesome. I mean, it has a Queen soundtrack for one thing, that automatically ranks it up in excellence.
    It revels in its cheesy brilliance.
    <3 Queen. And Flash Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Snares View Post
    "Keep your stupid comments in your pocket!"

I wish they would screen that somewhere near me. It's just about the most brilliant thing I've ever seen, I'd love to see the whole thing.
    It's truly beautiful. Someone should get Tommy Wiseau an Oscar.
    "You betray me you not good you just a chicken CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP!"

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    This. One, he's a Prince. Two, he's a Lord. Forth, he's a Captain. But Third he's above no-one except Baldrick. And yes, the Blackadder/George dynamic is brilliant.
    And Baldrick is the last in God's great chain, unless there's an earwig he'd like to victimise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    I hate colds. I'm lucky. I rarely get sick. And when I do, I just sleep for half the day, then I'm fine. It's kinda wierd actually.
    I, too, have a strong constitution. It's in the blood - my Grandad managed to stave off a level of cancer that would've toppled an elephant for five years.
    I consider myself health insured.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Firbolg in the Playground

There are more ways than that to get a guy up to a high C.
    And you claim to be innocent and naive.

I've seen girls run around topless. They still have their bras on - and that's technically a top.
    And don't worry, I like ogling as much as anyone.
    Still affords much more opportunity for, as me and my high school friends would have put it, "admiring the 'scenery'"

It's true. The new blurb looks more intriguing than the last time I checked. A man with no eyes. A man with tunnels inside his head.
    I suppose I'll be putting off my marathon until Saturday.
    Yeah, those first two sentences instantly caught my interest. I'd be curious about that even if it wasn't a Discworld book.
    WAAAANT.

That's true. Always more impressive to see a guy try to hit those high notes. And amusing. The way their little faces contort and they lift their chin to get that extra bit of help.
    Meh. I'm comfortable up to a top D usually. Up to an F, or sometimes higher, is a bit more of a strain.

Crimson Assurance won the Cannes Film Festival award thingy you know.
    Curses.
    Okay.
    Pterry. Python. Pblackadder.
    Mwahaha. What shall I get you to watch next, I wonder?
    It's fun to charter an accountant,
    And sail the wide accountancy...

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty-Eyed Fred View Post
    "Indeed it is, sir, but a very fine one, for I celebrated last night the encyclopaedic implementation of my pre-meditated orchestration of demotic Anglo-Saxon."
    "Well, I simply observed, sir, that I'm felicitous, since, during the course of the penultimate solar sojourn, I terminated my uninterrupted categorisation of the vocabulary of our post-Norman tongue."
    "Well, I don't know what you're talking about, but it sounds damned saucy, you lucky thing! I know some fairly liberal-minded girls, but I've never penultimated any of them in their solar sojourn, or for that matter been given any Norman tongue!"
    "I believe, sir, that the Doctor is trying to tell you that he is happy because he has finished his book. It has apparently taken him ten years."
    Really, given that extensive and unnecessary use of sesquipedalian loquaciousness, Dr. Johnson somewhat deserves the ribbing he gets from Blackadder.

I need to read more Discworld. I've probably read about 10 of them by now, but I need more!
    The Watch books are my favourites from what I've read, but I haven't read any of the Witches books yet so that could change.
    10? Pah! Pitiful. Get thee to a bookshop!
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

9. - Top - End - #159

Really, given that extensive and unnecessary use of sesquipedalian loquaciousness, Dr. Johnson somewhat deserves the ribbing he gets from Blackadder.
    That particular ribbing is one of my favourites in the entire show.
    "This book, sir, contains every word in our beloved language."
    "Every single one, sir?"
    "Every single one, sir!"
    "In that case, sir, I hope you will not object if I also offer the Doctor my most enthusiastic contrafibularities."
    "What?"
    "Contrafibularities, sir? It is a common word down our way."
    "Damn!"
    "Oh, I'm sorry sir. I'm anaspeptic, trasmotic, even capunctuous to have caused you such pericobobulations."
    "What are you on about, Blackadder? This is all beginning to sound a bit like dago talk to me."
    "I'm sorry, sir. I merely wished to congratulate the Doctor on not having left out a single word."
    *Dr Johnson death glare*

10? Pah! Pitiful. Get thee to a bookshop!
    Capital idea, but I'd never leave.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

Pfft, my laptop battery's the best one of all. It's completely dead. Pull out the cable and the thing shuts down.

D:
    Bu . . .
    Naaaah, Cambridge's cool.
    And for the record, the official degree title at Oxford is called BA (Hons) English Language and Literature, there's one compulsory language module in the second year, and more than twenty language orientated options in the third year, with another one or two offered as first year options, plus a compulsory Introduction to Literary Theory module which is a bit of both.
    It's iust not as well advertised as - sadly - many Oxford students don't like abusing full access to virtually every department under the sun and choosing topics like Introduction to Language and Linguistics (I did - lots of complicated theoretical stuff in there - loved it. The sociolinguistic theories? Not so much) or the later stuff like Modern English Philology or Middle English Dialectology. Generally though, the Language is mixed with the Lit, but you are right that most people focus iust on the Lit. I cherish and worship my lit, but there must be respect and awe when it comes to the langages to.
    Oh, there all all these foreign (deadish) language options which focus quite heavily on the language, perhaps even moreso than the literature in the language. But that's only Course II, and maybe some Course I options.
    But whether you go Cam- or -ford, the one thing every degree at those places isn't is methodical.
    Generally it's: next term you can do A or B.
    A
    Okay, here's your reading list; it's only a general one. If it fits within the field of A or B you can write on it.

I'm in the anime society, and the previous head of the society (in his third year) wrote an English essay which basically analysed his favourite anime series and compared it to a novel he was reading. It my even have been his thesis.
    Either way, good luck with your applications.
    Sounds like you get to do some pretty interesting stuff. A lot of the course descriptions on websites can be misleading; from what I read, it seemed very lit-focused. Maybe it was just me. I'm still not sure if I can get the grades though. In two subjects I was only one mark away from getting an A, so I had some papers re-marked in the hope of picking up one mark somewhere; today I picked up the results of the re-marks, and lo and behold, neither of the marks changed at all. Examiners.

That actually sounds very interesting. Especially for someone who's interested or good in all the Arts subiects.
    I don't know much about Creative Writing courses, but if Iibar pops in, ask him; he's doing one at UEA I believe.
    Yeah, it seems a great course, especially for someone like me, who's very indecisive, and is also a bit of a jack of all trades and master of none... well, maybe master of one if you count English. I tend to somehow do well even if the course doesn't interest me or motivate me to study at all. I thought my AS exam had gone terribly, but I only dropped 5 marks. I'm mystified as to how.

I'm actually looking at doing creative writing at UEA as a postgraduate course, so if I see him I'll drop him a few questions. That course has a very good reputation for churning out good writers. I would be considering English there for an undergraduate course too, but they're only accepting people who've done Lit, and I do the combined course.

There are more ways than that to get a guy up to a high C.

Meh. I'm comfortable up to a top D usually. Up to an F, or sometimes higher, is a bit more of a strain.
    Just checked mine and it refuses to go any higher than a G. My throat's full of awful though, as usual, so I'm sure I could get it a tad higher on a better day...
    cool avatar by araveugnitsuga

----

Spoiler
    Show

and what

11. - Top - End - #161

"Every single one, sir?"
    "Every single one, sir!"
    "In that case, sir, I hope you will not object if I also offer the Doctor my most enthusiastic contrafibularities."
    "What?"
    "Damn!"
    "Oh, I'm sorry sir. I'm anaspeptic, trasmotic, even capunctuous to have caused you such pericobobulations."
    "What are you on about, Blackadder? This is all beginning to sound a bit like dago talk to me."
    "I'm sorry, sir. I merely wished to congratulate the Doctor on not having left out a single word."
    *Dr Johnson death glare*
    It's Phrasmotic/Frasmotic (Not sure about spelling), compunctuous, pericombobulations.
    And of course later on, "Do not let me hinder your velocitous extramuralisation."

Just checked mine and it refuses to go any higher than a G. My throat's full of awful though, as usual, so I'm sure I could get it a tad higher on a better day...
    Time was my falsetto would go all the way to a soprano top A or B flat... Sometimes it still does, but only sometimes. Usually my falsetto doesn't really exist.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

12. - Top - End - #162

It's Phrasmotic/Frasmotic (Not sure about spelling), compunctuous, pericombobulations.
    And of course later on, "Do not let me hinder your velocitous extramuralisation."
    They're all made up, though.

"Leaving already, Doctor? Not staying for your pangestatary interlusion?"

"I shall return... interfrastingly."

13. - Top - End - #163

"I shall return... interfrastically."
    Fixed that for you. Blackadder may have made them up, but we should report acurately what he said.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

14. - Top - End - #164

Fixed that for you. Blackadder may have made them up, but we should report acurately what he said.
    Do you have a script in front of you or something? I'm just going by memory here.

15. - Top - End - #165

Do you have a script in front of you or something? I'm just going by memory here.
    So am I. My quote memory is rather good, and I always liked those made up words. Also I iust rewatched it on tuesday night.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2010-09-03 at 09:00 AM.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

16. - Top - End - #166

So am I. My quote memory is rather good, and I always liked those made up words. Also I iust rewatched it on tuesday night.
    That explains it.

"I am delighted to have been instrumental in keeping your bosom free of arses, sir."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    My laptop has a battery life of about 20 mins, it's absurd. More technically minded people have told me it's because I always run it from the AC power and never let the battery run down. It just has to sit on my desk and work as a desktop. Eh, I have a netbook if I need to travel.
    I try not to plug in my laptop when its not completely dead. It doesn't help when I need it fully charged for the next day. Its a netbook so I get about 5 to 6 hours of battery life.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    You were in Maryland and didn't stop in to say "Hello" to Alarra and me?
    This was on a visit to a girlfriend who has trouble meeting new Cousins. Like, one or two of them at the same time. I think trying to introduce her to a Playgrounder would have blown her mind. Sorreh.

It sits below the Mason/Dixon line, so technically South, but even Marylanders can't really agree on whether or not it's a "southern" state.
    She happens to be the daughter of a lady who comes from Georgia, so I consider going down there to be heading South based on the accents that I will encounter. And the fact that it is South from where I am, and not West.

To me, South is Maryland and anything past Maryland, as far West as the Mississippi, and then dipping down into Arkansas, and across through New Mexico, Arizona, and So. Cal. Everything above that but below the line that intersects with the bottom of the Great Lakes is Mid-territory, usually Mid-West, Mid-East, or just Mid. Everything North of that is North East, North West, or Minnesota.

Sort of like this:

Spoiler
    Show

Note that I do not include NY State as part of New England, because to me, it really isn't. It's the part of the United States where New England ends and just becomes the Northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    Je ne parlez pas le Francais. Je parlez Anglais et Americain...

i think.
    Ah..I always forget that it's Anglais, with an A, not with an E. ^^;

Toad Party. It was 5 toads sitting around together on two moderately large rocks. They didn't actually do anything, but that was probably because I was looking at them. They were probably raving all night to the sound of The Crickets.
    Did you try playing your Ocarina at them? I hear if you play the right song, you can get a heart piece.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

19. - Top - End - #169

Trobs, I can't believe that you didn't put the Pacific Northwest on that map of yours. For shame!

ION: Just had the uni I'm applying to call to verify that a) I really have "graduated" from "high school", and b) am really applying for Winter term.

WHY ELSE WOULD IT SAY SO ON THE FLIPPING FORM I JUST SENT YOU??!!

At least now I can be sure that they've received my application. And the lady who called did say that they would begin processing it immediately, so hopefully I won't have to be on tenterhooks for too long.

Edit: Trobsalob, that's a nifty avvie you've got there!
    Last edited by cycoris; 2010-09-03 at 12:31 PM.
    My preferred pronouns: they, them, their

When I speak I'll cross my fingers
    Will you know you've been deceived?
    I find the need to be a demon
    A demon cannot be hurt

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cycoris View Post
    Trobs, I can't believe that you didn't put the Pacific Northwest on that map of yours. For shame!
    Eeep! D: I'm from the Northeast! The Pacific NorthWest is a foreign concept to me! Please don't devour me!

ION: Just had the uni I'm applying to call to verify that a) I really have "graduated" from "high school", and b) am really applying for Winter term.

WHY ELSE WOULD IT SAY SO ON THE FLIPPING FORM I JUST SENT YOU??!!

At least now I can be sure that they've received my application. And the lady who called did say that they would begin processing it immediately, so hopefully I won't have to be on tenterhooks for too long.
    Get used to this. College bureaucracy is one of the least efficient machines in the world. They will ask you questions they already have the answer to, and insist that you bring them papers that they should have had ages ago.

On the other hand, they will always at least TRY to help you out...<.<; Even if they are never actually helpful in any endeavor.
    Last edited by Trobby; 2010-09-03 at 12:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    West.
    Everything North of that is North East, North West, or Minnesota.
    I find it sad that you classify North and South Dakota as 'Minnesota'

And that's another thing that bugs me, not that you said, but in general... Midwest. Midwest supposedly is commonly thought to stretch from the dakotas over to Ohio. How is Ohio west? It's not even middle US. I mean, it's not East coast, but it's certainly on the eastern side. midwest sounds to me like it should mean states in the middle to western part of the US, but not the pacific coast. It doesn't come anywhere near 'west' stopping clearly at exact middle and some people don't even stretch it that far, ending at Minnesota or even further east. *end rant*
    Last edited by Alarra; 2010-09-03 at 12:54 PM.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

22. - Top - End - #172

So recently, my brother and I noticed that our (unjustly) capped internet speed was only resuming normal service at 1am, rather than at 12 midnight like it was supposed to.

I just realised why this is. Turns out, my ISP is so incompetent that they forgot to account for summertime. That's right, the cap runs from 6pm to midnight, GMT.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alarra View Post
    Heck, I'd roll in Iowa and Nebraska while we're at it.

How is Ohio west?
    West of the colonies, basically.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

And that's another thing that bugs me, not that you said, but in general... Midwest. Midwest supposedly is commonly thought to stretch from the dakotas over to Ohio. How is Ohio west? It's not even middle US. I mean, it's not East coast, but it's certainly on the eastern side. midwest sounds to me like it should mean states in the middle to western part of the US, but not the pacific coast. It doesn't come anywhere near 'west' stopping clearly at exact middle and some people don't even stretch it that far, ending at Minnesota or even further east. *end rant*
    As a life-long Ohioan, I can answer this. The term Midwest in relation to Ohio dates to when Ohio WAS the western edge of the nation, way back in the olden days. Once a few states sprang up west of us, we were the "midwest". The term just stuck. Today, obviously, it doesn't really count.

Course, this is just what we learned in school back in like 5th grade here. It's very likely wrong.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

25. - Top - End - #175

"...Yer' just tryin' ta' make an old sea dog blush now, aren't you? *grin*
    "Yes, yes I am. 'Tis only right in this misogynistic world fer th' feminine pirates among us to obiectify th' menfolk.
    "Now get your behind into the seat before I got to be misandynistic t'ward ye in an obvious fashion!"

Aaaahh...*nods* That'd do it. :3 I um..only took a year of French...<.<; So yeah...not as much experience here. *cough* Parles vous en Francaise? Non, Je ne pas parles en Francaise. Je parles en Englaise.
    Parlez-vous Francaise?
    Non, ie ne parles pas Francais, ie parles anglais.

Or if you want to be really fancy: Non, ie ne la parles pas, ie parles anglais.

Not bad for only one year of French though.

We're allowed to shoot Scots in York - I've always heard it's with a longbow and so long as they're within the City walls, but not on Sundays. Also maybe only if they're in full battle dress, that requirement varies depending on who you ask.

I think it's Chester that you can shoot the Welsh. It would make more sense - the Welsh have invaded pretty far if they've got to York (but we're watching you, Welsh folks).
    My mistake. Oop North is Oop North. Sometimes it's Really Oop North and sometimes it's iust Oop North.
    I find it funny though as they never bothered repealing so many of these laws. Like the one about pregnant women urinating in the traditional policeman's helmet.

Plus, Stephen Fry can bring in all the public school gay romp jokes. Who can't love it, indeed?
    Speaking of which, I'm going to see Stephen Fry later this month. I am most excited. I have no idea what he'll be talking about, but he can talk about anything with an ease of wit and delightful eloquence, so I doubt that'll be an issue.
    o.O
    Where? When? And does it really matter, it's Stephen Fry and that's all you need to know. :smallenvy:

One of the best parts of the episode.

NOOOO
    . . .
    YAAAAY
    'Tis true. I do love my Austen, but Mansfield Park is so dully depressing. After you've read it you really ought to turn to something Austen-y and happy that isn't Pride and Preiudice, don't get me wrong, I love that book; but it's a bit overrated.

I've used, bruised and abused Amazon muchly.
    My reading list covers things from just about every period since the first thing I'm doing is Past and Present - pretty much the foundations of English Literature in context and the like. My other module for the moment I have to buy a lot less for, and it's Culture and Criticism - the theoretical stuff, literary criticism, movements, political and ideological influences - I'm looking forward to that a lot. I've got my fantastically big Literary Theory book in front of me right now and if I look at it any more I'll just end up reading all of it immediately.
    Past and Present sounds interesting, how far back does it go? Either way, I suggest you read Paradise Lost - mainly because I'm a large nerd - but it's a good read.
    As far as Culture and Criticism goes . . . you will hate and despise anything written by Stanley Fisher or about The Death of the Author and responses to it.
    But plunge deep into your Literary Theory book, it's more interesting than it looks. I don't know which book it is, but literary theory is fun.

HERETIC!!!!!
    There is never too much Discworld. Until you get to the point where you literally can't buy any more books. The Witches books are good, but not as good as the Death arc. Read Reaper Man and weep.

<3 Queen. And Flash Gordon.
    Un-HERETIC!!!!!

And Baldrick is the last in God's great chain, unless there's an earwig he'd like to victimise.
    Oh no, earwigs get the best of Baldrick in an even fight. Especially if he has a cunning plan.

And you claim to be innocent and naive.
    It's easy to make an innuendo. Knowing what it is your suggesting is a different thing entirely.
    However, it is possible that my innocence and naivete is mildly exaggerated at time.

Still affords much more opportunity for, as me and my high school friends would have put it, "admiring the 'scenery'"
    Lots of iiggling. *nodnod*

Yeah, those first two sentences instantly caught my interest. I'd be curious about that even if it wasn't a Discworld book.
    WAAAANT.
    I'm going town tomorrow. I did well today - have done exactly one-third of the translating for my Wulfstan. Well, except for the opening three lines in Latin: SERMO LUPI AD ANGLOS QUANDO DANI MAXIME PERSECUTI SUNT EOS, QUOD FUIT ANNO MILLESIMO XIIII AB INCARNATIONE DOMINI NOSTRI IESU CRISTI. And there are so many fragments and chunks of untranslated Latin in the notes. Anger.

Mwahaha. What shall I get you to watch next, I wonder?
    It's fun to charter an accountant,
    And sail the wide accountancy...
    *whimper*
    Curse you.

"Every single one, sir?"
    "Every single one, sir!"
    "What?"
    "Damn!"
    *Dr Johnson death glare*
    Classic. More classic.

Capital idea, but I'd never leave.
    I risk that every time I step into a place with books.

Sounds like you get to do some pretty interesting stuff. A lot of the course descriptions on websites can be misleading; from what I read, it seemed very lit-focused. Maybe it was just me. I'm still not sure if I can get the grades though. In two subjects I was only one mark away from getting an A, so I had some papers re-marked in the hope of picking up one mark somewhere; today I picked up the results of the re-marks, and lo and behold, neither of the marks changed at all. Examiners.
    If you have any questions, feel free to PM me; or ask here for that matter. But yeah, the website is a little misleading; prolly because most people aren't interested in the intricacies of the language.
    I won't lie to you, if you don't take specifically language orientated papers you'll have two compulsory pure language/language analysis papers in three years. The MdE and OE papers (all students have to do a compulsory MdE paper) are about 50/50 language and literature, so let's say a quarter of your papers will be language-y.
    But that's why there's Course II - more older languages means more language study, and iust better options.

I'm actually looking at doing creative writing at UEA as a postgraduate course, so if I see him I'll drop him a few questions. That course has a very good reputation for churning out good writers. I would be considering English there for an undergraduate course too, but they're only accepting people who've done Lit, and I do the combined course.
    You can't miss him. He's the Cat-Muffin extraordinaire!

There is a cat-puddly on my lap.
    I am a prisoner of the Demon-Cat.
    Send help. Quick.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I just skimmed through this article on mass extincton, and it freaked me out. I though I'd share it with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Note that my map is 100% subjective. <.<; I apologize for any rage it may cause in advance.

"Yes, yes I am. 'Tis only right in this misogynistic world fer th' feminine pirates among us to obiectify th' menfolk.
    "Now get your behind into the seat before I got to be misandynistic t'ward ye in an obvious fashion!"
    "Already be in a seat, luv. Got a bit of a problem with the menfolk in this world? I admit the majority of us types are crude, unabashed lechers.

I try to buck the status quo."

Parlez-vous Francaise?
    Non, ie ne parles pas Francais, ie parles anglais.

Or if you want to be really fancy: Non, ie ne la parles pas, ie parles anglais.

Not bad for only one year of French though.
    Merci, mon cherie.

HERETIC!!!!!
    There is never too much Discworld. Until you get to the point where you literally can't buy any more books. The Witches books are good, but not as good as the Death arc. Read Reaper Man and weep.
    Still trudging my way through the books. Can't wait 'til I reach Hogfather.

It's easy to make an innuendo. Knowing what it is your suggesting is a different thing entirely.
    However, it is possible that my innocence and naivete is mildly exaggerated at time.
    Mine too. <w<; I think I would surprise most of the playground with how awful I can be. *Giggle*

There is a cat-puddly on my lap.
    I am a prisoner of the Demon-Cat.
    Send help. Quick.
    You are on your own, ma'am. You lucky cat-holding person you...
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Barbarian in the Playground

My mistake. Oop North is Oop North. Sometimes it's Really Oop North and sometimes it's iust Oop North.
    I find it funny though as they never bothered repealing so many of these laws. Like the one about pregnant women urinating in the traditional policeman's helmet.
    Surely everywhere is Oop North from Cornwall?

I love our crazy by-laws. My favourite is the requirement to do an hour's longbow practice every day. Men of Britain, you're shirking in your duty to our realm!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I got cast as the Great Goblin in the Hobbit. I'm glad, but this means Gandalf will kill me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

30. - Top - End - #180

"Already be in a seat, luv. Got a bit of a problem with the menfolk in this world? I admit the majority of us types are crude, unabashed lechers.

I try to buck the status quo."
    "In tha' case I'll be takin' this seat here. But, you see, because yer real self were so cruwel to me own real self outside these tubey things, I be findin' meself obligated to gi' ye yer own puddle o' cat to put in yer lap.
    "Her claws be an inch long, so don't be startlin' the dear Demon-Cat."
    "And while I don't be mindin' the menfolk of piratical persuasion, they c'n be so foul o' times, 'tis only right fair to be foul right back a'em."

Merci, mon cherie.
    Ma. Girls are feminine so they're 'ma cherie'.
    Pas de probleme.

Still trudging my way through the books. Can't wait 'til I reach Hogfather.
    Not as amazing as Reaper Man, but excellent nonetheless, as is the movie.
    But . . . trudging?
    Trudging implies a weary, disconsolate walk, facing the future with a downcast, unexpecting gaze. I tried to find the right clip from A Knight's Tale, but I couldn't. So have this showing the excellence that is Chaucer, and proof that thirteenth century peasants knew how to rock. The music starts around 3:08.

Mine too. <w<; I think I would surprise most of the playground with how awful I can be. *Giggle*
    I have a filthy, filthy mind, and can apparently make anything dirty.

You are on your own, ma'am. You lucky cat-holding person you...
    My legs are numb from the thighs down, and my hips are wailing in agony after enduring a full ninety-seven minutes of cross-legged cat cushioning.

You can have the Demon-Cat.

EDIT:
    Surely everywhere is Oop North from Cornwall?
    Yep. Oop North technically starts once you hit Plymouth. London is Oop North by virtue of being quite southerly. Anything above, say Northampton is Oop Oop North; technically once you get to York you're Oop Really Far North, and Scotland is so north it's practically the North Pole. Also known as Ultimate North.

I love our crazy by-laws. My favourite is the requirement to do an hour's longbow practice every day. Men of Britain, you're shirking in your duty to our realm!
    And women wearing trousers or man-type clothing is still illegal too. Never got repealed. I got a whole book of CrAzY laws like that.
    Somewhere.
    In one of the many boxes and shelves that make up the expanded Koorly Library. It's the node which I use to enter and control all of L-Space you know.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2010-09-03 at 03:27 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!