New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXVII: God Has Nothing to do With This

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Thanks for reminding me of the first thing that just bugged the hell out of me when I was younger and reading through this.

Hunting down a dryad when a fireball spell would do.
    I don't know; TIM wanted the Dryad's blood. Burning her crisp would have been kinda counterproductive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXVII: God Has Nothing to do With This

Quote Originally Posted by Welf von Ehrwal View Post
    I don't know; TIM wanted the Dryad's blood. Burning her crisp would have been kinda counterproductive.
    But TIM soaked up a fireball, and suddenly was healed and had eyes and everything.
    Check out that third panel dogg
    Last edited by rocketpony; 2010-09-09 at 12:44 PM.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

I tried to write the Infernomancer as a class or prestige class a long time ago, but gave up because it was so impossible to account for everything.

I revisited the idea several months ago and decided to start from scratch with a super fire mage idea.

It worked much better, and now it's in my sig.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

Becoming an Infernomancer (and being a Demon Lord, so far as we can see,) seems to be akin to buying a ticket in the Superpower Lottery. Maybe you become invincible, maybe you gain the ability to make people get angry over the rape of their friend.

In D&D terms I imagine it would be one of those prestige classes that have a set of base abilities and then get to choose one of a selection of themes to gain more specialized abilities from. So maybe everybody has super fire mage powers, while infernomancers who choose Karnak get DR and the like, while ones who choose the Poison demon get some mind-affecting SLA's.

Edit: though I suppose Diabolic Domain actually makes your class kind of like that.
    Last edited by spectralphoenix; 2010-09-09 at 02:07 PM.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

5. - Top - End - #215

AssassinGuy

Heyall,

Infernomancers are just D&D warlocks with a different name. As of 4th ed, the two are exactly the same: make a deal with an extradimensional entity -- demon, devil, Cthulhu, whatever -- and you get the kind of power wizards have to spend years studying to obtain.

Edit: Okay, the fire absorption is a bit different. As is the "Revive kills Zombie" trait.

On another note, the real winner of the Superpower Lottery among the Infernomancers would have to be Caylen Bren. His special trait was "Screw the Rules, I have Plot". At least until Mookie needed him to die.
    Last edited by M84; 2010-09-09 at 01:56 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by M84 View Post
    Heyall,

Infernomancers are just D&D warlocks with a different name. As of 4th ed, the two are exactly the same: make a deal with an extradimensional entity -- demon, devil, Cthulhu, whatever -- and you get the kind of power wizards have to spend years studying to obtain.

Edit: Okay, the fire absorption is a bit different. As is the "Revive kills Zombie" trait.

On another note, the real winner of the Superpower Lottery among the Infernomancers would have to be Caylen Bren. His special trait was "Screw the Rules, I have Plot". At least until Mookie needed him to die.
    Hey if chaos doesn't obey the rules, shouldn't Celesto have gone to an incredibly ordered place to meditate and scry? Like some flat plane covered with parallel lines and geometric shapes? After all, the rules is that rules don't apply to chaos beings.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    Hey if chaos doesn't obey the rules, shouldn't Celesto have gone to an incredibly ordered place to meditate and scry? Like some flat plane covered with parallel lines and geometric shapes? After all, the rules is that rules don't apply to chaos beings.
    "Yo dawg, I herd you like not having rules applied to you, so we didn't apply some rules to you in the rules that didn't apply to you so your rules wouldn't apply while the rules that don't apply to you didn't apply."

Or something.
    Truth resists simplicity.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    But if that is a rule, then that rule should be broken, thus enforcing the broken rule and furthermore following a rule that should not be followed, which means that having a no-rules rule...

...just hurts my brain.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    THE HORRENDOUS VISAGE OF THE BIGGEST
    DEMON YOU'VE EVER SEEN CRUMBLES BEFORE
    YOU, AFTER YOU PUMP YOUR ROCKETS INTO
    HIS EXPOSED BRAIN. THE MONSTER SHRIVELS
    UP AND DIES, ITS THRASHING LIMBS
    DEVASTATING UNTOLD MILES OF HELL'S
    SURFACE.

YOU'VE DONE IT. THE INVASION IS OVER.
    EARTH IS SAVED. HELL IS A WRECK. YOU
    WONDER WHERE BAD FOLKS WILL GO WHEN THEY
    DIE, NOW. WIPING THE SWEAT FROM YOUR
    FOREHEAD YOU BEGIN THE LONG TREK BACK
    HOME. REBUILDING EARTH OUGHT TO BE A
    LOT MORE FUN THAN RUINING IT WAS.

Nice

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    But TIM soaked up a fireball, and suddenly was healed and had eyes and everything.
    Check out that third panel dogg
    That ...is correct. I assumed that the fire had only very temporary effects, while Dryad blood would work permanently. But rereading the strips I realized that this is nowhere stated and just extrapolated by me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf von Ehrwal View Post
    That ...is correct. I assumed that the fire had only very temporary effects, while Dryad blood would work permanently. But rereading the strips I realized that this is nowhere stated and just extrapolated by me.
    It was totally extrapolated, with no basis in the strip... But I also made the same 'mental band-aid' to make that make sense, so it's not a bad assumption: just completely nonsensical.
    How would a dyrad's blood counteract infernal pact magic anyway?
    Also, for extra bonus points, would that work for the infernomancer of Chaos?
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

12. - Top - End - #222
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

THE HORRENDOUS VISAGE OF THE BIGGEST
    DEMON YOU'VE EVER SEEN CRUMBLES BEFORE
    YOU
    So the ultimate Big Bad of the comic will be... John Romero's head on a stick?

13. - Top - End - #223

Logically, that'd be Mookie's head on a stick.

Before the fight, he's say: "Tuo keeg dna no kcor won rof em morf lla s'taht, dren latem nagev era yeht, sboob ekil i!"
    Last edited by Gez; 2010-09-09 at 06:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

14. - Top - End - #224

GnomeWizardGuy

Logically, that'd be Mookie's head on a stick.
    Young Romero and Mookie both have the long hair. Just add stubble and glasses.
    Before the fight, he's say: "Tuo keeg dna no kcor won rof em morf lla s'taht, dren latem nagev era yeht, sboob ekil i!"
    Eeh eeh.

Edit: Sneaky Gate

Teaser panel:
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2010-09-09 at 08:58 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Now that's a appliance of Sneaky Gating i can approve of.
    Says so much, yet so little.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

16. - Top - End - #226

Damn it Bulgak. You fail evil manipulating backstabber class completely. You don't SAY it out loud! You just both ....know.

[Alternative interpretation: classic tell don't show fail]

17. - Top - End - #227

Man, was the tiny little ass shot really necessary? Let the woman have her shame. :/
    Last edited by Palmer; 2010-09-09 at 10:56 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    Man, was the tiny little ass shot really necessary? Let the woman have her shame. :/
    Yes, it struck me how Bulgak and Loxo appear to be naked apart from the cloaks. And Bulgak just put his cloak on, so apparently he's been completely naked in earlier strips. I guess that explains why they spend their time in Hell hiding together behind rocks.

19. - Top - End - #229

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Yes, it struck me how Bulgak and Loxo appear to be naked apart from the cloaks. And Bulgak just put his cloak on, so apparently he's been completely naked in earlier strips. I guess that explains why they spend their time in Hell hiding together behind rocks.
    This brings up an excellent question; Where do they get clothes from in hell? Siegfried got his instantly, these guys are naked and Karnak seems to shop at the local Gap. Does your level of evil determine whether your clothed or not?

20. - Top - End - #230

This brings up an excellent question; Where do they get clothes from in hell? Siegfried got his instantly, these guys are naked and Karnak seems to shop at the local Gap. Does your level of evil determine whether your clothed or not?
    Nonsense! Stacy and Clinton just take road trips to hell every now and then.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

21. - Top - End - #231

There are only so many clothes in Hell. When you arrive, you're naked. One of the perks of being a lord of Hell is that you can kill pretty much anybody who has fancy clothes and take them for your own. Hence, being clothed is a sign of power - you're either powerful in your own right, or you're some demon lord's whipping boy. This is why Siegfried got clothes instantly - by merit of Karnak just waxed most of the population of Hell, he suddenly had a lot of clothes to choose from. A lot of snappy clothes.
    Loxo and Bulgak were pledged to crummy demon lords who are now dead, and since their powers are respectively, political machination and being a whiner, they can't win their own clothes.
    TADA
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

So I guess Hell is now populated by 'king' Karnak and the conveniently unharmed infernomancer duo? Oh, and the occasional hoards of NPC (demonic) monsters for point gaining.

This makes sense

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

There are only so many clothes in Hell. When you arrive, you're naked. One of the perks of being a lord of Hell is that you can kill pretty much anybody who has fancy clothes and take them for your own. Hence, being clothed is a sign of power - you're either powerful in your own right, or you're some demon lord's whipping boy. This is why Siegfried got clothes instantly - by merit of Karnak just waxed most of the population of Hell, he suddenly had a lot of clothes to choose from. A lot of snappy clothes.
    Loxo and Bulgak were pledged to crummy demon lords who are now dead, and since their powers are respectively, political machination and being a whiner, they can't win their own clothes.
    TADA
    But wouldn't the clothes be... y'know, less snappy after their previous owner was violently killed while wearing them?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Well if you want a dude's shirt, you stab him in the crotch. If you want a dude's trousers, you stab him in the chest. If you think a dude's entire outfit is pretty dapper, stab him in the eye.

So far I like Lady Loxo.

What's with Bulgak's hands in panel four? It looks like he's got clubs for arms.

25. - Top - End - #235

Loxo's clothing design is half-assed.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

It fits right in with the rest of the art then, no?
    Last edited by Doompuppy; 2010-09-10 at 02:26 AM.
    Not a robot

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

The sexual tension in this strip is palpable.

I just thought of something: doesn't the fact that you can die in Hell fairly easily kind of, you know, defeat the point of Hell?

"Well, I guess I've been sentenced to eternal suffering … for as long as it takes for me to find some pointy rocks to fall on."
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-09-10 at 02:49 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

TADA
    Of course! And because Loxo was an even more minor villain than Bulgak, she's wearing a smaller amount of non-descript black rags!

Oof. That was mildy painful.

Great job!
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2010-09-10 at 05:53 AM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

29. - Top - End - #239

Bulgak was an infernomancer of poison, so he's trying to poison his relationship with Loxo. Being a whiner and a general creep, in a too-pathetic-to-be-really-threatening way, is his current approach.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by FoE View Post
    "Well, I guess I've been sentenced to eternal suffering … for as long as it takes for me to find some pointy rocks to fall on."
    Another point in favour of the existence of super-hell!