New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 142930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1465
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: The 3.5 Red Hand Of Doom Handbook for DMs [Major spoilers!] - WIP, PEACH!

Thanks for your help, I'll see if I can suggest a wiser course of actions. They just don't look for secret doors around, and I think I ruin the game if I tell them when and where to look for them. They decided the Fane ends with the cathedral with the sacrificial shrine and now are heading elsewhere (even I don't know where). I think I'll give them some hints that maybe their analisys of the temple was inadequate, but I don't want to force them to do it or give too many hints about it.

If they fail to stop Azzar Kul I'll move to a future adventure, maybe mixing B) and D). It really depends on them, I only hope to be prepared enough :P

Again, thank you for your contribution.

EDIT: The RAW Aspect of Tiamat is a joke. I will either use a Dracolich or something more frightful. If he is going to be the new baddie, he needs to be a lot more charismatic!
    Last edited by Palingenesi; 2016-03-23 at 01:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The 3.5 Red Hand Of Doom Handbook for DMs [Major spoilers!] - WIP, PEACH!

The book is quite clear on the timetable of what happens (the timetable does get shifted depending on what the PCs have accomplished though). At page 6, the timetable points out on Day 55, the portal to Avernus is opened and reinforcements arrive, and on day 65 they take Brindol (or Dennovar if Brindol is already fallen).

What we did for our run of RHoD in Pathfinder, since the band of heroes failed to defeat the Aspect of Tiamat, was that the portal remained open (causing infernal reinforcements to keep spawning in to overrun Elsir Vale) and basically wiped out what was left in the Vale, and the King of the land called in the PCs we had been taking a break from to play RHoD, who were level 16 at the time, to deal with it. In the time it took from the Big Heroes to find Tiamat's Aspect, she had grown powerful from all the destruction and mayhem she had been wrecking, and was then Colossal-sized, could take five actions per turn (one for each head) iirc, and had a metric ton of HP, as well as pretty good spellcasting abilities.

Then again, I also set RHoD in Mystara, where I made Tiamat into a powerful demon-lord who was trying to become an Entropy Immortal. When the Big Heroes fought here, she was on the cusp of becoming an Immortal. The Aspect of Tiamat was kinda just her "first form".
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Colossus in the Playground

Thank you so much for this guide. I'm running the Red Hand of Doom for my players. Since it's set in my world it's already been rather heavily modified and I actually started off with the Sunless Citadel and then had a few things lead up to the actual Red Hand campaign, which started with the marauder attack at the end of last session. Speaking of which I used all of your suggestions from restatting the bladebearer to using napalm hellhounds, and it went absolutely fantastic. The party just barely came out on top and it left them feeling very scared about the Hand. That's another change--the party is aware of the Hand because one of the PC's is a half-orc whose tribe was fleeing them. They have advance warning but no idea just how much danger the Hand is.

Anyway I've been sketching out ideas for the rest of the arc and I have a thought for the Streets of Blood encounter:

Spoiler: Athedia and Axe, GET OUT!
    Show
    If the players fail to stop Abby or take out enough giants, what if several buildings in the Streets of Blood encounter are heavily damaged or destroyed, providing several more openings for the Hand to get through, eliminating potential chokepoints, and making the players have to defend more areas?

Additionally:

Spoiler: Spoilers regarding the half-elf ranger/rogue
    Show
    The half-elf's backstory is that she was raised by her human father on a pirate ship; she was a privateer. I'm planning on making her the daughter of one of the leaders of the Tiri Kitor. Nobody will know this until they see each other. What do you think of this and aside from the obvious what should I look out for or consider?
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2016-04-04 at 10:12 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not 100% sure if this fits, but someone made a Red Hand of Doom D&D game. Only a demo on RPGmaker, but it is D&D themed and turn based like normal D&D.
    http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index....5-27-dec-2014/

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Anyway I've been sketching out ideas for the rest of the arc and I have a thought for the Streets of Blood encounter:

Show
    If the players fail to stop Abby or take out enough giants, what if several buildings in the Streets of Blood encounter are heavily damaged or destroyed, providing several more openings for the Hand to get through, eliminating potential chokepoints, and making the players have to defend more areas?
    One possible problem here is that the boss fight is generally a tough one... if the PCs have to fight all the Red Hand's lieutenants and dragons and then have to deal with additional problems and then have to face you-know-who... it could be overwhelming. The idea itself is sound, but I'd prepare it as a purely optional backup solution in case the battle for Brindol becomes a breeze for the players. YMMV, of course.

Spoiler: Spoilers regarding the half-elf ranger/rogue
    Show
    The half-elf's backstory is that she was raised by her human father on a pirate ship; she was a privateer. I'm planning on making her the daughter of one of the leaders of the Tiri Kitor. Nobody will know this until they see each other. What do you think of this and aside from the obvious what should I look out for or consider?
    You know you players best... some people might not appreciate having their PC's backstory "railroaded" like this, others might not care or even enjoy it. This is something only you can answer and decide accordingly. If I were the GM, I'd be hesitant unless I knew for sure the player in question would be ok with it.
    Last edited by Antariuk; 2016-04-05 at 02:30 AM.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
    Fallschaden. (Red Hand of Doom Materials!)

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'm really sorry for polluting this thread, but it has been bumped so many times that I have to ask this. I'm not a native speaker and I don't know what "PEACH!" in the title means. Could somebody enlighten me please? WordReference doesn't seem to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Antariuk View Post
    Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly.
    Thanks a lot. In a million years I never would have figured it out.
    Last edited by Pippin; 2016-04-05 at 06:22 AM.
    Have a look at my complete list of wizard spells, last updated 07/08/2015.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Dwarf in the Playground

Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust

8. - Top - End - #1148

I've been mulling over a build idea for Saarvith and Reggie and I'm not sure if it's over-kill.

Background: My group consists of an ubercharger, two summoners, low op rogue and a low op wizard. The ubercharger does most of the damage, and nearly one hit Ozzy at Skull Gorge bridge. The hobgoblins retreated when Ozzy died so the Red Hand knows about the group.

I'm thinking of making Saarvith a Wiz 5/Ranger 2 using Explosive Runes on arrows to do 6d6 damage by attacking a square. I'm thinking of giving Reggie the Enlarge Breath feat so he can stay way out of danger (when the wizard enlarges the ubercharger he has a 20' reach and his jump modifier is nuts).

Oh, and I have a houserule that Favored Enemy gives +2 on attack rolls and +2d6 on damage.

Thoughts?

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Dwarf in the Playground

Are you playing 3.5 or PF? Sorry if the answer's obvious, I'm more than a bit rusty on 3.5 and the mentioning of summoners sounds like PF. Because, at least in PF, that amount of damage shouldn't be an insurmountable problem if the PCs are 7th-8th level. Especially if they know how to work as a team.

10. - Top - End - #1150

Quote Originally Posted by Antariuk View Post
    Are you playing 3.5 or PF? Sorry if the answer's obvious, I'm more than a bit rusty on 3.5 and the mentioning of summoners sounds like PF. Because, at least in PF, that amount of damage shouldn't be an insurmountable problem if the PCs are 7th-8th level. Especially if they know how to work as a team.
    3.5, I meant summoner as a role rather than class. One's a Psion/Constructor and the other is a Greenbound Druid.

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    This appeals to me from a DM perspective. However, bear in mind that your players won't know what the map was "supposed" to look like, so you'll be the only one enjoying the changes. You should certainly change your description of events based on the players' actions (boulders everywhere and ruined buildings, or burned-out and smoldering shells of neighborhoods). Keep in mind, though, that if your players are already failing encounters, then making the streets of blood harder may be the opposite of what you want to do.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Palingenesi View Post
    EDIT: The RAW Aspect of Tiamat is a joke. I will either use a Dracolich or something more frightful. If he is going to be the new baddie, he needs to be a lot more charismatic!
    A bit late, but I'd point out that the Aspect is supposed to be fought right after a boss battle which should have been preceeded by fights with his last group of guards. It's a "surprise! not done yet oh sorry you used all your best stuff killing the last guy let's see how good you really are," since the players don't have any way of knowing it's coming and probably assume that killing Azaar Kul will either shut down the proto-portal or at least halt it. It all depends on weather you make Azaar Kul into a badass or make him a pushover, or make it obvious the portal is open and someone's watching them.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

The party I'm DMing for wants to use the phylactery against the Ghostlord for leverage to get him to fight on their side when they finally fight the Red Hand. Besides recognizing a sensible inversion of the Red Hand's own tactics on the part of players who are totally new to D&D, what's a good response here?

I'm tempted to say that they could manage it if played carefully. Having the phylactery back at Brindol, telling the Ghostlord they've got it and therefore he'd better pony up some undead is basically exactly the same thing the Red Hand did. There's no note in the text saying that the Red Hand actually presented any evidence of their possession of the phylactery, but presumably they didn't actually show him the damn thing, and my players can do as much as the Red Hand could have. Obviously they're gonna have to convince him to take a second fairly unpalatable course of action, but I think it's possible, especially given the massive Diplomacy on the party face. The catch of course is that as the text says with the Red Hand, the Ghostlord isn't going to forget that a party of adventurers did him wrong, so they might be for it later, which I think is fair enough.

If they do manage to convince him, there's two things I have a little difficulty figuring out: first, what's the effect of the ghost lions, and possibly the Ghostlord himself, being on the "good" side at Brindol, and second, how freaked out are the party's non-lich allies going to be by this little deal?

Any thoughts anybody's got would be quite welcome.

On another note, I think I'm going to fail my Will save against playing "Thunderstruck" when the party fights Ulwai.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tajerio View Post
    The party I'm DMing for wants to use the phylactery against the Ghostlord for leverage to get him to fight on their side when they finally fight the Red Hand. Besides recognizing a sensible inversion of the Red Hand's own tactics on the part of players who are totally new to D&D, what's a good response here?

I'm tempted to say that they could manage it if played carefully. Having the phylactery back at Brindol, telling the Ghostlord they've got it and therefore he'd better pony up some undead is basically exactly the same thing the Red Hand did. There's no note in the text saying that the Red Hand actually presented any evidence of their possession of the phylactery, but presumably they didn't actually show him the damn thing, and my players can do as much as the Red Hand could have. Obviously they're gonna have to convince him to take a second fairly unpalatable course of action, but I think it's possible, especially given the massive Diplomacy on the party face. The catch of course is that as the text says with the Red Hand, the Ghostlord isn't going to forget that a party of adventurers did him wrong, so they might be for it later, which I think is fair enough.

If they do manage to convince him, there's two things I have a little difficulty figuring out: first, what's the effect of the ghost lions, and possibly the Ghostlord himself, being on the "good" side at Brindol, and second, how freaked out are the party's non-lich allies going to be by this little deal?

Any thoughts anybody's got would be quite welcome.

On another note, I think I'm going to fail my Will save against playing "Thunderstruck" when the party fights Ulwai.
    I would rule that having the undead fighting for the goodguys would be worth another 3 VP, with the disclaimer that nobody would want to actually be near them. Ever. For all time. They would probably do wonders against the giants.

Make it a VERY hard sell on the council, especially to Tredora, and therefore Jarmaath. Like DC 40ish hard. Or whatever is the upper 15 to 20 percentile of your face's Diplomacy range. Make them roll high or RP the hell out of it, or both.

Having Ulwai alive at the Cathedral battle is tons of fun. Especially if you drop a bluespawn godslayer in there for a real beatstick that don't give no craps about her calling lightning on top of whatever he's currently beatsticking. The party I ran through it were kind of scared of the godslayer, but were ready to gangshank it, until the lightning started falling on them. While they ran to cover to try and figure out where the Greater Invis'd spellcaster was, the badguys slaughtered nearly every defender in the square. They still haven't forgiven me for that.

15. - Top - End - #1155

Just finished putting together my enemies for the Rhest ruins fight(s), which my group will be attempting next week.

Ended up with:
    Lizardfolk all upgraded to Blackscale Lizardfolk
    Ogres all upgraded to Skullcrusher Ogres
    Hobgoblin veterans are all Warrior 4 with ranged feats.
    Korkulan as an Invisible Fist Monk 2/Warblade 2/Swordsage 1 with maneuvers focusing on going invisible and teleporting to infuriate my ubercharger PC.
    Nurklenak unchanged.
    Razorfiend/Harrowblade unchanged.
    Reggie with Enlarge Breath and strafing feats.
    Saarvith as a Wizard 5/Ranger 2 using Explosive Runes arrows.

The tentative plan the group came up with last game was to split into two groups, one attacking Lizardfolk huts and the other attacking the dragon (that they've only heard about). I'm still hoping they'll reconsider that plan.

16. - Top - End - #1156

My group is several hours into fighting at the Rhest ruins now:

-collapsed the belltower, notifying everyone else to their presence
    -Reggie has been strafing them, manage to stay entirely out of range
    -group eventually got to and killed all the ogres
    -Nurklenak wasn't successful with his Suggestion and didn't get a second chance
    -the harrowblade attacked whatever was in the water then retreated back to its pen
    -Saarvith got attacked by some summons, then ate a fireball, so he's retreating on Reggie. He had time to grab the phylactery.
    -group is considering running at this time, they have low health and no potions
    -Lizardfolk are visibly coming at them from all sides, a few minutes left before they get to the group

Thoughts? I can't see Saarvith abandoning Rhest while the Harrowblade eggs are still intact but all his strong troops and the belltower are gone. Do you think he'd try to hold the position with just the lizardfolk?

17. - Top - End - #1157

PaladinGuy

Depends exactly how many blackscale lizardfolk he has, whether he can command the harrowblade, and what the lizardfolk morale is.

If he's got 100 or so lizardfolk, those lizardfolk aren't entirely useless (and they can bull rush or grapple PCs into the water potentially and drown them if they can't damage them any other way), and the party is basically out of healing, he could probably kill all the PCs with just long range archery plus lizardfolk if their morale holds and they fight to the last lizard. If he can command the harrowblade, add in some spring attack sniping and his position is stronger. If Reggie puts him down somewhere out of range of the PCs and adds strafing runs (remembering to damage the platforms under the PCs too so as to potentially dump them into the drink with the harrowblade), his position is potentially very strong.

The question is whether he sees it that way or cuts and runs because he got hurt a little. And whether the lizardfolk keep on coming regardless of casualties.

18. - Top - End - #1158

Played again last night:
    -The group killed the Harrowblade and retreated.
    -They did not explore either building so they did not find the eggs or the note about the phylactery.
    -Saarvith attacked Starsong Hill that night, killing several elves and leaving before they could mount any significant defense.
    -The High Speaker kicked them out of Starsong saying that they had no interest in more of their citizens dying for Brindol's war. "The elves were here while Rhest still stood and we'll still be here when Brindol falls."
    -One of my players is a half-elf so I had the High Speaker tell him it's time to decide whether he's an elf or a man.
    -Group returned to Brindol.

Alas, my prepared Lizardfolk defense of the Rhest ruins were for naught.

My biggest problem here story-wise is that the group missed the Ghostlord hook entirely. My rogue player was absent so I'm thinking just to have had him nick a fancy box from Saarvith's room that has the note and phylactery in it. It's a simple solution and the character has a history of nicking things without telling the rest of the group.

Plans for next session:
    -Defense council in Brindol (including info drop about no word from the dwarf mercenaries despite gold being shipped several days ago, and the ghostlord)
    -Thieves guild council (my rogue player is intending to get the thieve's guild to help in the battle)
    -Fitting in the spider spy somewhere if I can to feed more information to the Hand.
    -Blockade II on the way to the dwarves
    -Seeing if the group keeps the gold or delivers it

19. - Top - End - #1159

PaladinGuy

I'm just about ready to start the Red Hand of Doom proper with my group--I just need one more session of side/foreshadowing quests to go and unfortunately I've come down with writer's block.

Here's what happened so far:

Setting: County of Bova (Note that Bova takes the place of Brindol in the default Red Hand), March of Sterich in Greyhawk.

Level 1. The characters started in Drellin's Ferry. Lord Jaarmath Bova had declared a bounty on hippogriffs which had come from the Crystalmists in unusual numbers and were harrassing the town. The players helped track down some bandits that tried to steal the bounty money (the bandits were instigated and supplied by a neighboring rival count), hunted some hippogriffs, and fought a manticore with lightning burns who had fled from the Red Hand. They also encountered a party of the formerly dominant goblin tribe from the mountains.

Level 2-3. The characters decided to travel down the dwarf road through the Witchwood to see if they could discover what happened to the dwarf holds. They found the dwarf holds and found signs that the previously dominant goblin tribe had been defeated by an organized group of hobgoblins who adopted a Red Hand as their banner, but there were no indications of imminent invasion.

Level 3-4. The party returned to Drellin's Ferry then traveled through Terrelton where they were recruited to investigate a vision the local priestess (Leille) had and found a runaway apprentice bartering with a demon summoned with a stolen scroll. They fought some troops from a neighboring lord who had been dispatched to get the apprentice back. They also helped Leille investigate the manor of a local noble who had been trafficking with bandits and the cult of Erythnul alluded to in the adventure. They then escorted the prisoner to Bova and recounted their explorations to the Count. The party's fighter joined the Lions of Bova.

Level 4-5. At Count Jaarmath's request, the party went to Witchcross to investigate the mysterious death of their baron. They found a coven of hags in the process of transforming a human woman into the third hag to complete the coven and dealt with them.

So I've got one more session before I'm ready to start the Red Hand of Doom proper. I could have a monster hunt--there is a Chimera the party knows about (but has avoided till now). I could have some intrigue in Bova. I could have the party go back to Drellin's Ferry and investigate the cult of Erythnul/serial killer dry goods store owner. I could have the traitor knight the party escorted to Bova a few levels ago be executed and either transform into some hideous undead monster (he had clearly been trafficking in dark magic based on what the PCs found in his manor) or have some kind of escape attempt.

If I need to, I can wing it or just start the adventure proper with the ambush scenario but I'd like to give the party a little more loot and experience before I start. Current party: Level 5 fighter, level 5 Inquisitor (NPC), Level 4 wizard, Level 4 rogue, level 2 barbarian/2 oracle, Level 3 druid/1 ranger.

20. - Top - End - #1160

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ComaVision View Post
    Played again last night:
    -The group killed the Harrowblade and retreated.
    -They did not explore either building so they did not find the eggs or the note about the phylactery.
    -Saarvith attacked Starsong Hill that night, killing several elves and leaving before they could mount any significant defense.
    -The High Speaker kicked them out of Starsong saying that they had no interest in more of their citizens dying for Brindol's war. "The elves were here while Rhest still stood and we'll still be here when Brindol falls."
    -One of my players is a half-elf so I had the High Speaker tell him it's time to decide whether he's an elf or a man.
    -Group returned to Brindol.

Alas, my prepared Lizardfolk defense of the Rhest ruins were for naught.

My biggest problem here story-wise is that the group missed the Ghostlord hook entirely. My rogue player was absent so I'm thinking just to have had him nick a fancy box from Saarvith's room that has the note and phylactery in it. It's a simple solution and the character has a history of nicking things without telling the rest of the group.

Plans for next session:
    -Defense council in Brindol (including info drop about no word from the dwarf mercenaries despite gold being shipped several days ago, and the ghostlord)
    -Thieves guild council (my rogue player is intending to get the thieve's guild to help in the battle)
    -Fitting in the spider spy somewhere if I can to feed more information to the Hand.
    -Blockade II on the way to the dwarves
    -Seeing if the group keeps the gold or delivers it
    If you don't mind springing the Ghostlord or some of his minion/lieutenants on the PCs at the battle of Brindol, you could probably expand the adventure with the dwarves or the thieves' guild to make up the time, treasure and experience that the party would otherwise get for dealing with the Ghostlord. Sure, it would make the Battle of Brindol pretty tough, but that's what the party gets for not being thorough and avoiding your lizardfolk defense of Rhest.

But if you want to run the Ghostlord scenario for them, the "Rogue nicked it" idea seems pretty workable.

21. - Top - End - #1161

Quote Originally Posted by Elder_Basilisk View Post
    If you don't mind springing the Ghostlord or some of his minion/lieutenants on the PCs at the battle of Brindol, you could probably expand the adventure with the dwarves or the thieves' guild to make up the time, treasure and experience that the party would otherwise get for dealing with the Ghostlord. Sure, it would make the Battle of Brindol pretty tough, but that's what the party gets for not being thorough and avoiding your lizardfolk defense of Rhest.

But if you want to run the Ghostlord scenario for them, the "Rogue nicked it" idea seems pretty workable.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I don't mind having the Ghostlord in the battle if that's how things go but I think they need the opportunity to deal with him. Without the letter, there's not really a link between the Hand and him. I'd hate for the presence of undead at the battle being deemed random by the group.

For your game, I think you should pull the group back to Drellin's Ferry for the serial killer bit so they can build more rapport with the NPCs there. Hopefully they'll like some of the NPCs there too so they care more when they learn of the approaching horde. If you can, I'd throw in some foreshadowing of the things to come, maybe at the edge of the Witchwood they see Ozzy far off making a surveying sweep of the forest.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Dwarf in the Playground

@ComaVision: as an alternative to "the rogue nicked it", you could, while the PCs are in Brindol, have some refugees from the vale tell stories about an armed Red Hand caravan heading south and seemingly into the wasteland, for no apparent reason. If they're curious and feel that they have the time, they might investigate this red herring. Alternatively, Immerstal the Red in Brindol is a likely candidate to know something about the Ghostlord, maybe a distorted version of the story that doesn't reveal what's really going on in the Thornwaste.

23. - Top - End - #1163

PaladinGuy

I've been writing some session summaries for my Red Hand of Doom game which has almost reached the regular Red Hand of Doom and I just started posting some here.

Here's the thread:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...4#post20985044

24. - Top - End - #1164

I decided to throw together some support units that make a bit more sense instead of Hobgoblin Sergeants being Fighter 3s:

Spoiler: Sergeant Marshal/Warblade
    Show
    Hobgoblin Warblade 1/Marshal 2
    LE medium humanoid (goblinoid)
    Init +1; Darkvision 60', Spot +5, Listen +1
    Languages: Common, Draconic, Goblin

AC 19, Flat-Footed 18, Touch 11
    HP 27 (3 HD)
    Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +4 (+6 vs. Fear)

20' Movement Speed
    +2 BAB

Attacks:
    +6 Guisarme 2d4+3 (20/x3) [+6 Trip-checks, +11 Enlarged]
    +6 Halberd 1d10+3 (20/x3)
    +5 Composite Longbow 1d8+2 (20/x3)
    Massed Charge: Charge a single enemy on shared initiative with nearby allies, all participants gain +X on attack rolls where X is the number of chargers.

Auras:
    +2 Damage while Flanking [60']
    +1 To Hit [60']
    +2 Will Saves (+4 vs. Fear) [60']

Skills (ACP -5):
    +1 Balance [5 ranks] (to learn Massed Charge [PHBII] Teamwork Benefit)
    +2 Bluff
    +2 Intimidate
    +7 Diplomacy (obvious)
    +5 Knowledge (local) [4 ranks] (used for recognizing enemies)
    +5 Sense Motive [6 ranks] (used for sizing up enemies as per Complete Adventurer)
    +5 Spot [6 ranks]
    +1 Listen [2 ranks]
    +3 Move Silently [3 ranks] (while invisible)
    -4 Hide

14 Str, 12 Dex, 14 Con, 13 Int, 8 Wis, 15 Cha

Feats:
    1. Combat Expertise
    M. Skill Focus: Diplomacy
    3. Improved Trip

Marshal:
    Master of Tactics (+2 damage while flanking)
    Motivate Attack (+1 attacks)

Warblade:
    Steel Wind (Attack two enemies)
    Steel Bones (On hit gain DR 5/Adamantine for one turn)
    Leading the Attack (Allies gain +4 bonus on hit against target hit by you)

Stance: Bolstering Voice (+2 Morale to Will-saves for allies, +4 Morale to Will-saves vs. Fear)

Possessions: Mw. Guisarme, Mw. Halberd, Mw. Fullplate, Mw. Composite Longbow (+2 Str), 2 Potions of Enlarge Person, Potions of Invisibility
    Spoiler: Combat behavior
    Show
    He'll try to get the Hobgoblin Regulars in position for attacks, trip the enemy and if possible, land a Leading the Attack enabling them all to hit with the damage bonuses from flank. He can use Massed Charge to initiate combat particularly against strong, solid frontliner. As he has a reach weapon, an ally can charge in front of him. In tough fights he can use Enlarge Person potion [he should start by assessing the enemy using Sense Motive] with the Invisibility potion as an escape option; again, the priority is on enabling the regulars to get into flank position and to actually hit. Note that he can still grant the aura bonuses while invisible so it's a priority for him to keep himself alive.

If forced to fight at close range he drops the Guisarme and picks up the Halberd. He uses Steel Bones to buy time in scenarios where he's forced to face melee threats though if all his allies go down and he doesn't feel he can finish the fight himself, he'll try to escape with the Invisibility Potion.

Spoiler: Sergeant Crusader
    Show
    Crusader 3
    LE medium humanoid (goblinoid)
    Init +1; Darkvision 60', Spot +4, Listen +4

AC 22, Flat-Footed 21, Touch 11
    HP 30 (3 HD) + 5 Delayed Damage Pool
    Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +5 (+7 vs. Fear) - Zealous Surge reroll (+2 Will/+4 vs. Fear as 60' aura)

Speed 20'
    +3 BAB

Attacks:
    +6 Longsword 1d8+2 (19-20/x2)
    +5 Composite Longbow 1d8+2 (20/x3)
    Massed Charge: Charge a single enemy on shared initiative with nearby allies, all participants gain +X on attack rolls where X is the number of chargers.
    Furious Counterstrike: +1/+1 if damage in DDP

15 Str, 12 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 12 Wis, 13 Cha

Feats:
    1. Extra Granted Maneuver
    C. Tower Shield Proficiency traded for Extreme Shield Proficiency
    3. Stone Power

Skills:
    +4 Spot [3 ranks]
    +4 Listen [3 ranks]
    -2 Balance [5 ranks] (again to use Massed Charge)
    +2 Diplomacy [1 rank]

Maneuvers:
    (Stone Bones)
    Leading the Attack
    Vanguard Strike
    Crusader's Strike
    Douse the Flames
    Shield Block

Stances:
    Bolstering Voice (default)
    Iron Guard's Glare

Possessions: Mw. Extreme Steel Shield, Mw. Longsword, Mw. Fullplate, Mw. Composite Longbow (+2 Str), Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds, Potion of Enlarge Person
    Spoiler: Combat behavior
    Show
    Mostly a martial wall, this Sergeant plays out like a usual crusader - get him in the frontline, have him absorb damage with Stone Power + Delayed Damage Pool + Crusader's Strike and block hits to allies with Shield Block. Mostly in Iron Guard's Glare making it very hard for enemies to hit anyone else but he himself is likewise an undesirable target. If he finds the opportunity, he'll want to Leading the Attack/Vanguard Strike any enemy to coordinate teammate attacks. His only way out of the fight is through whatever is front of him and he mostly outlasts.

Potion of Enlarge Person can enable him to cover a larger area on the field and just simply deal more damage at the expense of being easier to hit. Good if he isn't getting enough attention otherwise.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2016-07-11 at 09:37 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

25. - Top - End - #1165

PaladinGuy

I finally got around to reading the Istivin series of adventures from Dungeon magazine and will probably run them after I finish Red Hand of Doom.

One of my PCs wants to rebuild Vraath Keep and become a baron, so that would provide an ideal tie in as he would have to go to Istivin in order to give his oath to the Marquessa. However, I would like to tie the stories together a bit more than that so what are some ways that I could do so?

I've thought about having Azar Kuul really be a drow in disguise or a catspaw for the drow but I'm not sure how much sense that would make. As far as I can tell, the drow in the Istivin series are trying to take control of Sterich by replacing and manipulating the various nobles. Maybe they could be attempting to use the Red Hand to remove several nobles opposing them (particularly if the Baron of Brindol (Bova in my adaptation) is a focus of opposition to their plans. (It might provide a means for getting rid of some of the leadership of Sterich's army too). However, other than taking control, it's not clear that they actually have any plans or how the nobles outside Istivin would be providing opposition. Also, it diminishes the significance of the PCs actions if the Red Hand invasion was really meant to fail all along (after conveniently killing several opposition leaders). The other obvious possibility would be having the entity infesting Istivin be behind the plot but that doesn't really make sense either.

Has anyone given any thought along these lines?

26. - Top - End - #1166

PaladinGuy

And one more thought. For those of you who have run RHoD, what level did your characters start and where did they level up?

The adventure text (inside) says that it's designed for characters starting at level 5 and that they should be level 8-9 by the battle of Brindol. That's an anticipated 3-4 levels before the battle of Brindol.

My PCs ended up starting the adventure at level 4-5 (so a little on the low side) and Pathfinder experience reportedly levels characters up more slowly than 3.5, so I'm going to have to pay special attention to the progression in order to make sure that they arrive at the right points. Since that means 4 levels over the first three parts of the book, I can't simply set my targets at "1 level at the end of part 1, another at the end of part 2, etc." So, where should I plan on making sure the characters get those levels?

27. - Top - End - #1167

My PCs ended up starting the adventure at level 4-5 (so a little on the low side) and Pathfinder experience reportedly levels characters up more slowly than 3.5, so I'm going to have to pay special attention to the progression in order to make sure that they arrive at the right points. Since that means 4 levels over the first three parts of the book, I can't simply set my targets at "1 level at the end of part 1, another at the end of part 2, etc." So, where should I plan on making sure the characters get those levels?
    My group just reached the Ghostlord's domain but here's how it's looking for me:

-Most of the group leveled to 6 by taking Vraath Keep
    -Most of the group leveled to 7 by the time they met the first (two) Razorclaws in the swamps around Rhest and found the stash of items in the shack
    -The group would have leveled to 8 by taking Rhest but they botched that so I need to make up some experience
    -The group would have leveled to 9 fighting their way to the Ghostlord

The Marked for Death encounter is good to make up wealth/experience if the group misses any big spots.

28. - Top - End - #1168

PaladinGuy

I printed off map tiles for the blackwater causeway, Vraath Keep, Skull Gorge Bridge, Roadblock, and Rhest town hall and bell tower, rubber cemented them to backing, and am taking them down to the teacher supply store to laminate them tomorrow. I expect that having detailed and colorful maps for those encounters will make them a lot more interesting.

That said, the place I got the map tiles from (I labeled them WotC Forums in my downloads file) only had those ones. Having seen how they look, I'd like to do something similarly detailed for the other encounters--particularly the Battle of Brindol scenes with Skather in the undertaker's house and with Kharn in Cathedral Square. (For the Ghostlord's lair, I think I may have a look at the map and see if I can't use Descent 2nd edition tiles to build it one room at a time as the PCs explore). Does anyone have any suggestions for flip maps, printable tiles that match the adventure's maps, or similar for the undertaker's house and Cathedral Square?

Also, I've been thinking about the roadblock encounter and I don't think it really makes sense as written. A roadblock is good if you're trying to prevent people from sneaking by you and are willing to let ordinary traffic through. It can also be useful if you can block off an entire narrow pass or similar chokepoint. However, as written (and in my Greyhawk adaptation map) neither of those things apply. You could block off a road and kill anyone who travels along it, however that's going to displace travel to other roads and won't entirely shut down that artery of travel/trade. I'm thinking of changing the setup a little. Instead of a "road block" the encounter is a small and quickly constructed fort where several squads of raiders are based. It is, of course, near a road, and serves to block that road, but the raiders based there raid all the other roads and burn the surrounding farmsteads, etc. They have pitched their tents near the fort (where their booty, and supplies are stored) and the PCs can coordinate with local forces (in this case, it's likely to be the young baron Corromat and the Witchcross militia) who will attack the camp when the PCs attack the fort.

Any thoughts/suggestions on that?

29. - Top - End - #1169

Also, I've been thinking about the roadblock encounter and I don't think it really makes sense as written. A roadblock is good if you're trying to prevent people from sneaking by you and are willing to let ordinary traffic through. It can also be useful if you can block off an entire narrow pass or similar chokepoint. However, as written (and in my Greyhawk adaptation map) neither of those things apply. You could block off a road and kill anyone who travels along it, however that's going to displace travel to other roads and won't entirely shut down that artery of travel/trade. I'm thinking of changing the setup a little. Instead of a "road block" the encounter is a small and quickly constructed fort where several squads of raiders are based. It is, of course, near a road, and serves to block that road, but the raiders based there raid all the other roads and burn the surrounding farmsteads, etc. They have pitched their tents near the fort (where their booty, and supplies are stored) and the PCs can coordinate with local forces (in this case, it's likely to be the young baron Corromat and the Witchcross militia) who will attack the camp when the PCs attack the fort.

Any thoughts/suggestions on that?
    A makeshift fort commanding a view over the road and housing raiders certainly sounds more logical. It's the function forts have served historically as well. In the default module, the primary purpose of the roadblock is to block communications with the north and hopefully make requests for help impossible; naturally the skeleton crew of the scenario as written lacks the strength to actually stop any force with any meaningful numbers. The biggest problem I see with making it a fort is that it's kinda Vraath Keep Part 2 - another poorly fortified Hobgoblin fort (granted, with less dragons) to bust. That said, that might not necessarily be a bad thing - the defensive composition and the layout can be made sufficiently different to make it work out of course.

And with the raider activity, the players can pretty much pick their battle by seeing how many of the raiders are currently stationed in the keep (I can only imagine you'd want to add some Worg Riders since those are the most mobile basic troops in the Horde). Also, if we're talking an active raider base, chances are the morale isn't actually that low unless they are literally getting nothing. This probably makes the encounter significantly more challenging but given it's quite the walkover by default, that might not be that problematic. It might be worth it to remove one of the Hobgoblin Sergeants and write him as a proper leader of this operation, a direct underling of Saarvith's with some more levels and abilities.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am happy to announce that I am going to play an adapted version of RHoD in Dark Sun (using Pathfinder and DP Psionics).
    The game has started in earnest last week and it'll be a while before the RHoD plot kicks in, but in the name of Borys I'm going to do this Reports on where and how I messed with RHoD to make this all work will follow, but before that I'm going to post the kinda-sorta long overdue chapters of my generic Pathfinder adaption. I've had quite a few PMs, mails and comments from folks who tried to get me off my lazy ass, so some new stuff is going life this month.