New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40k Tabletop IX: "Mech is king? I never voted for it."

Re: Winterwind - You're right about the Invulnerable save, of course. Maybe it was the sorceror who got a 4+? -shrug- I'm AFB at the moment, I don't know.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tren View Post
    Not in the current codex it doesn't; it even mentions that possession has no impact on the embarked squad's shooting.
    Oh, phew. I was scared there for a bit already.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Re: Winterwind - You're right about the Invulnerable save, of course. Maybe it was the sorceror who got a 4+? -shrug- I'm AFB at the moment, I don't know.
    The sorcerer gets a 4+, indeed; Chaos Space Marine HQs all have a 5+ invulnerable per default, so the Mark of Tzeentch gives them a 4+ instead.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

3. - Top - End - #633
    Bugbear in the Playground

Possession doesn't stop a vehicle from being a transport, (after all, it's available for rhinos. [RHINOOOOOS!]) but it used to. Which has been said. But I wanted to say it too.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Incomp View Post
    Possession doesn't stop a vehicle from being a transport, (after all, it's available for rhinos. [RHINOOOOOS!]) but it used to. Which has been said. But I wanted to say it too.
    I miss Parasitic Possession. (Which, of course, DID prevent it from being a transport.)

Spoiler
    Show
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

5. - Top - End - #635

I know, the old codex was ridiculous and broken, but in the most awesome possible way.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

So... I got the space marine codex, And nothing else.

So I have a few questions.

1.) Where is this Warhammer 40,000 book I must have? Is it in a starter kit? did they just not have one today? (I purchased my codex in an odd little hobby shop that had warhammer,40k, little toy cars, and train stuff.)

2.) The OP says Assault on black reach is bad... what should I obtain that Isn't bad?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    1.) Where is this Warhammer 40,000 book I must have? Is it in a starter kit? did they just not have one today? (I purchased my codex in an odd little hobby shop that had warhammer,40k, little toy cars, and train stuff.)
    It's either a big, giant black book, with Warhammer 40,000 on the front and a battle mallet. It's kind of hard to miss. You'd know it if you saw it.

Or, its in Assault On Black Reach.

The OP says Assault on black reach is bad... what should I obtain that Isn't bad?
    Have you played the game before? Do you have access to other people that do play the game regularly? Do they have rulebooks? Can you afford to buy the Big Black Book?

If your answer is 'No', then, unfortunately, you probably should get Assault on Black Reach. I wish you didn't have to. But, you do. Then get a box of Devastators and another Tactical Squad.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-12-18 at 09:50 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

8. - Top - End - #638

So... I got the space marine codex, And nothing else.

So I have a few questions.

2.) The OP says Assault on black reach is bad... what should I obtain that Isn't bad?
    Black Reach would actually be a pretty good investment in your case. Black Reach comes with the core book for 40k, as well as some templates and rulers and such, which already add up to about $65 of its $90(American) cost. After that, you're saving quite a bit of money, even if the Space Marines are somewhat disappointing. You could also probably try to find someone to pawn the Orks off on, or just keep them around in case you ever want to start Orks.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DCGFTW View Post
    Black Reach would actually be a pretty good investment in your case. Black Reach comes with the core book for 40k, as well as some templates and rulers and such, which already add up to about $65 of its $90(American) cost. After that, you're saving quite a bit of money, even if the Space Marines are somewhat disappointing. You could also probably try to find someone to pawn the Orks off on, or just keep them around in case you ever want to start Orks.
    Starting more than one thing is unlikely at this point. However if I'm going to have them they, and whoever I get to play against me, will serve as training enemies.

Since it's likely that I will get Assault on Black Reach at some point. What should be done to fix it? Will everything necessary come with the box of devastators and tactical marines? (No I will not be trying to buy all this in one go. Just planning for the future.)

Also, a slightly less technical and more curious question. How do drop pods work? Do you put your guys inside, set it on the field and then open it up and remove them? Set it down and surround it with guys from a box? Do those doors open?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Firbolg in the Playground

A drop pod's doors open, but it's not necessary to physically put the models in it (in fact, they probably wouldn't fit). Just keep the squad that's supposed to be in the pod on the side of the table and deploy them when the pod is deployed.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

Occasionally there's no room for the doors to open, but that's never been a problem in games I've played.

I really need to finish painting my drop pod, now I think of it ...
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

12. - Top - End - #642
    Troll in the Playground

It's a pity Orks never got Drop Pods. Remember that old rule their transports had? As many as you can pile in it?

Yeaaaaah...

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Since it's likely that I will get Assault on Black Reach at some point. What should be done to fix it? Will everything necessary come with the box of devastators and tactical marines? (No I will not be trying to buy all this in one go. Just planning for the future.)
    Okay. The Black Reach box. How do we fix it?

1. The 'Captain'. He's actually a glorified Tactical Sergeant model. Get the Special Character of your choice (who also doubles as a regular Captain with the wargear that you like), or a Chaplain with Jump Pack, or a Chaplain in Terminator Armour. Don't buy a regular, walking Chaplain. You wont find much use for it. Then, buy a Librarian.

Some people might buy the Librarian first because he's more useful. Some people also might convert up their own Captains because the Special Characters come with Chapter-specific icons. Although, I still don't see why more people invest in files and knives.

Either way, you want [Something] and a Librarian. Re-deploy the Captain from AoBR as something else. Or heavily convert it into a Captain that you like.

2. The Tactical Squad. Missile Launcher + Flamer is generally crap. What you want on Tactical Squads are Heavy Bolters, Plasma Cannons or Lascannons. If you're taking He'Stan, you want Multi-Meltas. As for the special weapon, Tactical Marines want to be carrying Plasmaguns or Meltaguns. Always take a Plasmagun. Generally, only take the Meltagun if you're moving forwards a lot, which you shouldn't be doing if you've got a Plasma- or Lascannon. Heavy Weapon troopers come in boxes of Devastators. Get some.

3. The Terminators. Pack them in a box. You wont find a use for them until much higher-level games. If you want to use the Terminators now, get something that move Teleport Homers up the battlefield quickly. Like Rhinos for your Tactical Sergeant. Scouts, and Drop Pods. Lysander helps. However, at this stage of play, the Terminators only function as heavy armoured Tactical Marines. Which probably isn't any use to a starting-out player.

4. The Dreadnought. Buy another Dreadnought (preferably Venerable), do a weapon-swap. Have two usuable Dreadnoughts. Ditch the Multi-Melta. Never look at it again.

The problem with AoBR, is that none of the units are really helpful 'out of the box', except maybe the Tactical Marines. The rest...Not so much.

Also, a slightly less technical and more curious question. How do drop pods work? Do you put your guys inside, set it on the field and then open it up and remove them? Set it down and surround it with guys from a box? Do those doors open?
    It really depends how anal your opponents are. In some cases, when you open the doors, your model becomes closer than 1" away from another model, in which case, you can't open that particular door. Meaning sometimes you can only open the 'rear' doors (in this case, the ones furthest from the enemy). And, you can deploy 2" away from any door when its on the table.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-12-19 at 04:44 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    2. The Tactical Squad. Missile Launcher + Flamer is generally crap. What you want on Tactical Squads are Heavy Bolters, Plasma Cannons or Lascannons. If you're taking He'Stan, you want Multi-Meltas. As for the special weapon, Tactical Marines want to be carrying Plasmaguns or Meltaguns. Always take a Plasmagun. Generally, only take the Meltagun if you're moving forwards a lot, which you shouldn't be doing if you've got a Plasma- or Lascannon. Heavy Weapon troopers come in boxes of Devastators. Get some.
    Flamer Marines can 'work' but you need to have planned ahead, or know what you're doing. So can Missile launchers, but to a lesser extent. They only belong in a list that can't spring the 10 pointses for lascannons.

Flamer and Missile launcher at the same time, though? Horrible. I get that this squad is probably meant to be combat squadded, but little groups of 5 aren't going to do anything, running up the board with their adowwable widdle fwamer.

Another consideration for AOBR fixing (as he's getting the Dev box).

Consider turning the AOBR Tactical Sarge into a Dev Sarge. He's kitted out with free gear, which is good. Just stick on the thingo if you feel like it, or not because no-one cares. Then assemble a Tactical Sergeant out of the Devastator kit, because you can give him a Power Fist. That's kind of a big deal, or so I've been told

15. - Top - End - #645

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Flamer and Missile launcher at the same time, though? Horrible. I get that this squad is probably meant to be combat squadded, but little groups of 5 aren't going to do anything, running up the board with their adowwable widdle fwamer.
    Its more of a grandfather clause. Missile launcher and flamer used to be the standard loadout for a tactical squad (even for Grey Knights). It was just decided back in first edition, meaning that the modern rules don't make it viable at all. I'm not even sure first edition had squad coherency rules.

In 2nd ed you got combat squads and heavy weapons could fire at a differant target to their squad. Then it wasn't bad.

3rd ed made it useless, but it also made 10 man tactical squads sub-par, so whatever.

5th ed was the final nail in the coffin for it as a combination when it let you take pretty much anything on a tactical squad, despite the fact that it reintroduced combat squads.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2010-12-19 at 07:58 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Its more of a grandfather clause. Missile launcher and flamer used to be the standard loadout for a tactical squad (even for Grey Knights). It was just decided back in first edition, meaning that the modern rules don't make it viable at all. I'm not even sure first edition had squad coherency rules.
    Well sure, I recognise the historical basis of the unit ... but from any other perspective the formation is ... highly sub-optimal. Maybe not worthless, seeing as it can in theory perform on a good day. Just really, really, really ... not the best.

That said, combat squads have saved my ass on multiple occasions this edition. It's amazing how much of a difference a few small groups of 10 running interference can make sometimes ...

17. - Top - End - #647

Just a quick question from a returning player. I'm knocking together a 1000 / 1500 point Blood Angel casual list and I have a 90 point hole. I feel this would be admirably filled by a Razorback for gunship duties with either Lascannon/ assault cannon, as they cost the same. I already have Rhinos for my 2 Tactical squads and my Assault squad and Death Company are jump. Can I take the Razorback anyway or does it have to be a transport for a unit ?
    I'm away from the BBB at the moment.
    Many thanks
    Last edited by Timberwolf; 2010-12-20 at 02:03 PM.

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

18. - Top - End - #648
    Barbarian in the Playground

In my experience it is best to stuff all the models in to the drop pod and just hurl it at the desired lannding zone as hard as you can. All the random dice rolls like scatter and whether or not your models survive is handled by physics and if you're stressed out about anything you getted the added bonus of intense catharsis. Might break a few models though
    My apologies to any of the players in the 4th edition DnD games I was running. I know I vanished abruptly, you guys didn't deserve that.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    Just a quick question from a returning player. I'm knocking together a 1000 / 1500 point Blood Angel casual list and I have a 90 point hole. I feel this would be admirably filled by a Razorback for gunship duties with either Lascannon/ assault cannon, as they cost the same. I already have Rhinos for my 2 Tactical squads and my Assault squad and Death Company are jump. Can I take the Razorback anyway or does it have to be a transport for a unit ?
    I'm away from the BBB at the moment.
    Many thanks
    The BBB wouldn't help you with that question, army list organization issues are a pure codex matter.
    And no, unfortunately, you can't; the Razorback can only be taken as dedicated transport, not alone on its own.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing as how Winterwind probably has all of the Codex to check and would know... I will at least say that a dedicated transport can be bought for a unit even if they never use it. If a unit has the option for the transport you can buy the transport for the unit even if they never spend even a second embarked in it.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Seeing as how Winterwind probably has all of the Codex to check and would know... I will at least say that a dedicated transport can be bought for a unit even if they never use it. If a unit has the option for the transport you can buy the transport for the unit even if they never spend even a second embarked in it.
    ...actually, that's a good point; I just kinda assumed it was the same way as with Codex Space Marines and Space Wolves, because this is actually one of the few codizes I don't have (I'm still missing the Dark Angels, Black Templar and Blood Angels; I just cannot get myself all that interested in all those millions of loyalist chapters, they will all burn just the same when we come to throw the False Emperor down! ). So, while most likely true nonetheless, I have to admit I actually cannot check and verify this for once.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

22. - Top - End - #652

Griffon

The bad news is, I didn't get to play with my new Grey Knights; I keep threatening to paint them, but have yet to do anything about it. The good news is, I did get to bring my Eldar out of semi-retirement for a rather enjoyable game of 400-40k-in-40.

That is, 400pts of 40k played in a 40 minute time limit - a variety of conditions suggested by my opponent who had been assured by some of HIS friends that is was the cool new way for the kids to play Warhammer.

If you've never heard of it, don't be afraid. Neither had I, until I sat down with my Codex and a blank sheet of paper only to hear the words "Oh, by the way....", so here are the rules that make it different to ordinary 40k:

Spoiler
    Show
    • Armies are no more than 400pts.
    • Troop FoC choices are 1+.
    • HQ slots are 0-1 rather than 1+
    • No Special Characters.
    • If you do not take a HQ unit, you must designate one 'Sergeant' (or equivalent rank) model as you army's General. (This has no effect, save unless you're playing an 'Assassination' style scenario).
    • No 2+ saves.
    • No vehicles with a total Armour Value greater than 33.(Front Side and Rear added together.)
    • No character or beast may have more than two wounds.
    • Models that have an Invulnerable Save by default can keep them, but they may not take any optional Wargear that gives it to them "artificially"
    • You may spend remaining points from any part of the codex, according to ordinary 'legal' squad sizes and FoC.

Since it was new and uncharted territory for me (I rarely play below 1500 points, only once ever below 1000) I stuck with some classics from my normal list, adulterated with actual Troops rather than enormous necromantic robots masquerading as ordinary folk:

Spoiler
    Show
    10x Striking Scorpions
    + Exarch (My General) with Chainsabres)
    10x Guardians
    + Scatter Laser
    10x Guardians
    + Scatter Laser
    3x Heavy Weapon Platforms
    + D-Cannons

My opponent, as far as I remember, took a similarly lop-sided approach:
    Spoiler
    Show
    10x Ork Boys
    + Nob with Boss-pole (His General)
    + Trukk with 'Eavy Shoota
    10x Ork 'Eavy Boyz
    + Trukk with Rokkit Launcha
    2x Deff Kopta
    + Twin Linked 'Eavy Shootas

Setup: Pitched Battle. Mission: Annihilation. I go second for setup and get the first turn.

Preparing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    My opponent spreads himself liberally across his table edge and entirely embarked, ready to roll. He parks the Trukk full of 'Eavy Boyz on a hill to the west, hides his Deff Koptas in the middle, and the other Trukk full of boys slightly to the east of the Koptas.

I bunker into a corner; 10 Guardians filling the gap between the western table edge and a building, directly opposite the 'Eavy Boyz. The Scorpions lurk behind the same building, ready to run to wherever the first mob of Orkz disembarks.
    To the East of the building, the other squad of Guardians spread out as a living shield for the D-Cannons that stood behind them, right in the middle of my deployment zone.

Before the first turn, the Deff Koptas Scout forward and slightly to the East, finishing right in the middle of the table and behind another building.

Let Battle Commence
    Spoiler
    Show
    Turn the First:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Going first, I decide that my priority is to stop the Trukks from getting their awful Green cargo too close, as in melee I was going to lose badly.
    Without any movement, the western Guardians shoot at the 'Eavy Boyz's Trukk, and score a glancing hit. Being Open-Topped the Trukk exploded, but also being Ramshackle it ultimately ended up destroyed yet the Orks within disembarked safely.
    The other Guardians fired at the Deff Koptas with a Scatter Laser to no effect, whereas the D-Cannon proved that they could do better and removed 1 of the unit's 4 wounds (though had I remembered that the D-Cannon were subject to the Barrage rule I might have done better. Grumble, grumble.)

In retaliation, the 'Eavy Boyz displayed a most un-Orky tactic of running away from the wreckage of their vehicle towards the safety and shelter of a pile of rubble, only managing to get halfway after rolling a '1' for their additional movement.
    The Deff Koptas, made of more stern stuff, continued in their south-easterly direction and opened fire on the Guardians in front of them. To add injury to more injury, the Trukk full of Boyz (with Nob) roared forward and hid behind the building that the Deff Koptas had just vacated, firing on the same Guardians as they went. In total, 4 Guardians went down and the rest heroically stood their ground.

Turn the Second.
    Spoiler
    Show
    To the west, the Guardians stayed put while the Scorpions ran north-west, hugging the table edge as they boldly progressed past them without cover and towards the 'Eavy Boyz.
    Those same Guardians took some pot-shots at the Nob's Trukk with the Scatter Laser, inflicting no harm whatsoever. Their counterparts to the east, on the other hand, approached the Deff Koptas to make best use of their Shuriken Catapults, killing one of the Orks and wounding the other in a glorious hail of shuriken and scattering laserbeams.
    The D-Cannon, determined to prove that they could be just as useless as the Scatter Lasers, missed the remaining Deff Kopta by a considerable margin. Even the scenery had nothing to fear, although witnesses later reported a humourous bird falling from the sky with one of its' wings vapourised.

The 'Eavy Boyz were determined to take and hold their building in the name of the green tide, despite repeated requests to actually try killing something. Almost reluctantly, and to the great surprise of everyone involved, they shot down a couple of Striking Scorpions.
    The remaining trukk skirted around the building so that it could get a full view of the Guardians, disembarking and unloading into them for yet more casualties. This left two Guardians, who passed their break test and then laughed at the Deff Kopta for being unable to finish them off.

Turn the Third
    Spoiler
    Show
    Determined to achieve something, the Scorpions ran at the 'Eavy Boyz. They were well out of range to manage an Assault and would undoubtably be charged themselves next turn, but with Initiatives of 5 and 6 and a superior Saving Throw, I was confident that they would come out victorious.
    From their vantage point way away from anything dangerous, the western Guardians moved forwards and shot at the newly disembarked Boyz in the middle of the table, again to no effect. The D-Cannon crews, at this point, decided to get their act together and readied for another volley.
    *KABOOM!*
    With the first shot the Trukk goes up in flames, the explosion killing one of the nearby Boyz. The other two 'Cannon accounted for 5 more Boyz, leaving the unit crippled but determined to fight on.
    With Ork-like ferocity, the two survivors of the eastern Guardian Squad unleashed a hail of fire at the nearby Deff Kopta, and when their enormous anti-infantry weapon failed they charged in for the kill. And to everyone's great surprise, managed to get it - the Deff Kopta pilot presumably laughing himself to death as an Eldar tried to pick up the Scatter Laser and hit him with it.

Undaunted, the Orks began their fight back. The 'Eavy Boyz shot an then assaulted the Scorpions, respectively, and the other Boyz rounded the corner to fire at the bloodlusting Guardians of Doom.
    The Scorpions fared rather more badly than I expected - despite going first and with an ungodly number of attacks, they only managed to inflict 2 casualties and received 4 of their own, losing the fight but passing their morale check. For the record, Ferocious Charge is even more scary when you aren't expecting it.
    Apparently made of slightly tougher things, only one of the Guardians fell to a round of Shootas to the face, and (rather unstandably) his remaining comrade decided to "bugger this, for a game of soldiers" and began a swift exit from the battlefield.

It had suddenly all gone wrong for the Eldar.
    ...Again.

Turn the Fourth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well over our 40 minute limit - we were just having fun by this point, and as 40 minutes had ticked over the score was still a dull 1-1 anyway - we decided to play one more turn, during which I made the biggest tactical choice that I faced in the game so far.
    And chose poorly.
    The western Guardians had a choice - they could either shoot at the 4 remaining Boyz/Nob and, in concert with the D-Cannon, finish off the unit for a precious Kill Point. Or, they could assault the 'Eavy Boyz and hope that their efforts would aid the Scorpions to victory, while hoping that the D-Cannon would maintain the 66% success rate long enough to kill the unit alone.

I was feeling confident, and had them make the Assault.

Another 7 casualties and a diminished 50% success rate later, the Guardians and the Scorpion break and flee (the Exarch being the sole survivor of his Squad). Both units escaped, but neither could rally.

In their final turn, the Ork Boyz w/Nob shot and killed one of the D-Cannon's crew, an the 'Eavy Boyz declared an Assault on the fleeing Exarch. The Exarch promptly failed his morale check and was crushed underfoot without landing a blow, leaving most of my army fleeing and most of my opponent's battered, but surviving.

The End
    Spoiler
    Show
    I had killed the Deff Kopta unit and both Trukks, whereas my opponent had killed the Striking Scorpions and broken both units of Guardians: 3-3.

I knew I had made the wrong decision about the Guardians as soon as I started rolling dice. I even said out loud at the start of the game; "Once you have started killing an enemy unit, don't split your fire until they're entirely gone".
    Such advice counts double in Annihilation, I now realise too late, although to be fair that last round of combat featured more than my fair share of crappy dice rolls.

Ah well, as the great philosophers say; You win some, you lose some. Unless you draw, in which case nothing is resolved and you've just wasted an hour and a half that you'll never get back again.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2010-12-20 at 05:34 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

23. - Top - End - #653

RE the Razorback... I can't take it for the assault squad as they're jump...

I think I may have a sanguinary priest instead, cheap with a jump pack and I've got one in my 1500 list and therefore will get use out of it, maybe tool up the Assault squad a little more as well with the extra points. An elegant solution that I missed the first time.
    Last edited by Timberwolf; 2010-12-20 at 05:31 PM.

24. - Top - End - #654

Jump pack deathcompany are so rediculously expensive that they're better off in a razorback. Or just walking with +75% the numbers.

A predator with an autocannon and heavy bolters is only 10 points more than an assault/laser cannon razorback.

The priest is probably the best option. You should have one priest per 1.5 squads (excluding deathcompany) anyway unless you have transports for everything.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

25. - Top - End - #655

I'm having Jump death company, largely because I love the concept and I want my Rhinos for my Tac squads. I'm only deploying them in small numbers though, like 3 for my 1000 point list. They will roll with the jump Chaplain I have as my HQ choice. With the 1500 points I'm planning on 4 plus Lemartes for my drop pod Death company dreadnought. I haven't really tooled them up beyond the jump packs although there is a power fist in the 1500 point list. In a minute, I'm going to finish off gthe list and post it. There's a few bits I'm not too happy with.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    If you've never heard of it, don't be afraid. Neither had I, until I sat down with my Codex and a blank sheet of paper only to hear the words "Oh, by the way....", so here are the rules that make it different to ordinary 40k:

Spoiler
    Show
    • Armies are no more than 400pts.
    • Troop FoC choices are 1+.
    • HQ slots are 0-1 rather than 1+
    • No Special Characters.
    • If you do not take a HQ unit, you must designate one 'Sergeant' (or equivalent rank) model as you army's General. (This has no effect, save unless you're playing an 'Assassination' style scenario).
    • No 2+ saves.
    • No vehicles with a total Armour Value greater than 33.(Front Side and Rear added together.)
    • No character or beast may have more than two wounds.
    • Models that have an Invulnerable Save by default can keep them, but they may not take any optional Wargear that gives it to them "artificially"
    • You may spend remaining points from any part of the codex, according to ordinary 'legal' squad sizes and FoC.
    I've heard of variations on the theme, though usually I think it was played at 500 points.
    The only real problem I have with that variation is that with Eldar, they don't have a single HQ choice with less then 3 wounds, even the base Autarch and farseer are both 3 wounds. I don't know if its much of an issue with other armies though.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    I've heard of variations on the theme, though usually I think it was played at 500 points.
    The only real problem I have with that variation is that with Eldar, they don't have a single HQ choice with less then 3 wounds, even the base Autarch and farseer are both 3 wounds. I don't know if its much of an issue with other armies though.
    I was going to list the armies that do not have that problem, but soon found out it was far easier to list the ones that do:
    - Eldar
    - Chaos Space Marines
    - Necrons
    - Tyranids
    And I don't know about Dark Angels and Black Templar (since Codex Marines, Space Wolves and Blood Angels have W2-HQs, I assume they do so too though), everyone else though has some kind of W2 HQ-models. Chaos Daemons and Space Wolves can get up to two such models for a single HQ-slot (which I think would still be legal under these rules), Dark Eldar can get up to three.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

28. - Top - End - #658

HalfOrcPirate

Hey y'all, don't want to derail the thread too badly, so I'll make it short. After playing an ungodly amount of Dawn of War (77 hours in 5 weeks), and visiting Games Workshop stores about four more times, I've decided I like the Tau the most. But, since my money is near-nonexistant, I thought I was at a loss. But then I see the post in this thread, for 400-point armies. So here's my question:
    Is there anything anyone would reccomend for a small Tau army?
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

29. - Top - End - #659

Kroot! So many Kroot! Just put 50 Kroot (Okay, maybe a couple of battlesuits too) on the table and laugh at your piddling opponent!
    Last edited by Arcanoi; 2010-12-20 at 08:04 PM.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hello Everyone! I'm a bit new to 40k and I'm looking for a bit of advice on my first army!

1000 pt Army List:
    Spoiler
    Show

HQ
    Autarch-120
    Mandiblasters, Scorpion Chainsword, Fusion Gun, Warp Jump Generator (he will be moving with the spiders)
    Elite
    6 Fire Dragons-231
    Exarch with firepike and crack shot, Wave Serpent with Twin-Linked Shiri-Cannons and Spirit Stones

6 Striking Scorpions-138
    Exarch with Chainsabres, stalker and shadowstrike
    Troops
    10 Guardians with Scatter Laser -95

10 Dire Avengers -262
    Exarch, 2 Catapults and bladestorm, Wave Serpent with twin Shuri-Cannons , 1 more for good measure and spirit stones
    Fast Attack
    5 Warp Spiders-152
    Exarch, Spinneret rifle, Powerblades and withdraw

I already have (or know I am going to get for Christmas) everything here except 1 wave serpent. I am considering letting the Avengers walk and adding a wraithlord.

Resources for modifications available to me:
    Spoiler
    Show

9 more Dire Avengers
    War Walker
    Farseer
    $45
    Last edited by WeLoveFireballs; 2010-12-20 at 08:12 PM.
    The rules of the game are only what the current participants agree they should be, remember this. The rulebook for whatever you play are only suggestions.

Currently playing as the Maya in GMR game #6.