New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Hourglass of Zihaja] Chapter 0: How it All Began

I was just reading through the Darshan one, which reminded me of it. Mainly because their followers seem to have it mostly right.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    He's already a bear that turns into a bear that gets so angry it turns into a bear, worships bears, and commands bears, all while riding a bear. He has enough bear.
    There's never enough bear.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

The Maqur info is really interesting... But the basic principle that everything burns is kinda cool.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

I wasn't aware they were so focused on arson. I'd had them pegged as the "stab them in the back and poison their drink for good measure" type.

Also, I certainly hope there's nothing right about their opinions on the afterlife.

Also, the real Maqur was half-Lizardfolk? That's distressing.
    Last edited by Juhn; 2010-11-25 at 11:09 PM.
    He's already a bear that turns into a bear that gets so angry it turns into a bear, worships bears, and commands bears, all while riding a bear. He has enough bear.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Juhn View Post
    I wasn't aware they were so focused on arson. I'd had them pegged as the "stab them in the back and poison their drink for good measure" type.
    It's a metaphor. Though they also love arson. The sort of juvenile, Chaotic Stupid behavior you'd expect from the vice-loving children of the idle rich who turn to Maqur to be daring and avant-garde and counterculture.

Also, I certainly hope there's nothing right about their opinions on the afterlife.
    Always a kernel.

Also, the real Maqur was half-Lizardfolk? That's distressing.
    For some reason I seem to have a recollection of that not being the case, but it's quite hazy and I see no reason to speak with Zeta about revising that point.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    It's a metaphor. Though they also love arson. The sort of juvenile, Chaotic Stupid behavior you'd expect from the vice-loving children of the idle rich who turn to Maqur to be daring and avant-garde and counterculture.
    There is not a big enough to express my thoughts on these people.

Always a kernel.
    There's some truth to "Oblivion for Everyone!"? ...Oh dear.

For some reason I seem to have a recollection of that not being the case, but it's quite hazy and I see no reason to speak with Zeta about revising that point.
    She just seems very... un-Lizardfolk. But then, half-demon, so...

For posterity, I'd been under the impression that if she was anything non-human, she was probably a she-da-zhong.
    Last edited by Juhn; 2010-11-25 at 11:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

There is not a big enough to express my thoughts on these people.
    As it should be. Which just makes the more involved members of Maqur's... there is a certain irony to the word "faith" here, but I'll use it regardless... anyway, makes the more involved members of Maqur's faith that much more dangerous. For being probably the least-worshiped Aspect, she's got a surprising threat level.

There's some truth to "Oblivion for Everyone!"? ...Oh dear.
    As I said, always a kernel. Of one size or another.

She just seems very... un-Lizardfolk. But then, half-demon, so...

For posterity, I'd been under the impression that if she was anything non-human, she was probably a she-da-zhong.
    That's sort of what I thought too... that or half-demon/half-efreet. Meh.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, I still wonder what Johoum, as a being literally made of Chaos and Evil (and a pretty prominent one, at that) thinks about the Aspect that bears his name being possibly the most Lawful deity in the setting.
    Last edited by Juhn; 2010-11-26 at 12:55 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

You know, I still wonder what Johoum, as a being literally made of Chaos and Evil (and a pretty prominent one, at that) thinks about the Aspect that bears his name being possibly the most Lawful deity in the setting.
    He's not so very aware of that. Not a lot of news gets into his particular can.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah. I was a little fuzzy re: the specific order of events regarding the subsumation of his divine power versus his being jailed. I take it he was firmly locked away by the time Johoum became an Aspect, then.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty close together, yeah. As you can see from his miscellaneous churches, he's been a popular fella in his absence.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, yeah. Being the first Aspect we ever heard about, I'd have expected he'd be pretty prominent.

On that note, where are you guys planning on putting the loreposts? Interspersing them throughout the chapters? Putting them all in the "bonus materials" chapter?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

On the forums I expect they'll be relegated to bonus; I don't know how Zeta plans to do the PDF layout, but I wouldn't be surprised if they cropped up in the main body.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

It may just be that I've been immersing myself too deeply in White Wolf's fare, but I've grown fond of opening chapters with in-universe fiction. It does a nice job of setting the mood.

Now if only they could do that without jamming fluff all over and around every piece of crunch as well...

Well, that and having loreposts within the release makes it a bit more familiar for those of us who've been following this project through all these threads.
    Last edited by Juhn; 2010-11-26 at 01:33 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Two more deities to get through until the one you've been drooling over for so long is at last unveiled. Hope you're excited.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hmm, will we ever truly learn exactly what the afterlife is? In most campaign settings they have one true set afterlife, example: Forgotten Realms: if you worship a deity you go to their afterlife plane, otherwise, have fun slowly and painfully becoming a wall. Will we ever get the bottom line?
    Four Gods wait on the windowsill
    Where once eight Gods did war and will,
    And if the gods themselves may die,
    What does that say for you and I?

Now three Gods sit on the windowsill,
    Where one God's blood was lately spilled
    Black tounges lap at the spreading pool,
    To build the strength they need to rule.

- The Quartet For The Dusk Of Man, Tycho Ephemerous Brahe

Call me Apoc.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    Hmm, will we ever truly learn exactly what the afterlife is? In most campaign settings they have one true set afterlife, example: Forgotten Realms: if you worship a deity you go to their afterlife plane, otherwise, have fun slowly and painfully becoming a wall. Will we ever get the bottom line?
    Oh sure; heck, I released the bottom line in one of the discussion threads a while back.

Really, the only piece of info I think will never be publicly announced is Zihaja's identity.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Really, the only piece of info I think will never be publicly announced is Zihaja's identity.
    Think again.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup; he's on the list for chapter 10, right near the end. I actually commented on that back on the... first page of this thread, I think.

Two more deities to get through until the one you've been drooling over for so long is at last unveiled. Hope you're excited.
    I count a few more than two, unless you're being very specific about the use of the word "deities".

And yes, I want my sig banner already.

Oh sure; heck, I released the bottom line in one of the discussion threads a while back.
    Yup. There are ahmuglees involved.

And as I said a short while back, the Darshan one seems to be mostly right.
    Last edited by Juhn; 2010-11-26 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Wow, how did I misspell "about"? Maybe I should go to bed...

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Think again.
    Well, given that:

1) We did promise to give out copious hints on the matter,
    2) It's far more fun to do the above and leave the conclusive answer up in the air and
    3) I'm still pretty sure I'm the only one who knows, and you won't squeeze it out of me...

I feel quite comfy.

Honestly, though, the amount of backtracking we'll be providing regardless should lead them to the answer they most like. Far more interesting to do it in that fashion rather than just state flat-out that Zihaja is Elton John.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, given that:

1) We did promise to give out copious hints on the matter,
    2) It's far more fun to do the above and leave the conclusive answer up in the air and
    3) I'm still pretty sure I'm the only one who knows, and you won't squeeze it out of me...

I feel quite comfy.

Honestly, though, the amount of backtracking we'll be providing regardless should lead them to the answer they most like. Far more interesting to do it in that fashion rather than just state flat-out that Zihaja is Elton John.
    Dammit all, Afro. I wanted to tell them! You've ruined it!! That's it, shows over!!! The whole project is cancelled.

...Did they buy it? Can I go home to my family now? Please?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Zihaja is Elton John.
    I knew it!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

And so I collect the bet winnings

Call me Apoc.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    And so I collect the bet winnings
    What, the extra-large banner wasn't enough? You may be the only one to have gotten one, as I replaced those shortly after launch.

Also, Martuakh is up. More banners on the way. Unless Afro kills me, which is more possible than usual.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

More banners on the way. Unless Afro kills me, which is more possible than usual.
    For some reason this and Zaia's symbol remind me of a phrase. I believe it went something like:
    Your head.

I will cut it.

Off.
    Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

25. - Top - End - #85
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Now, joining in publicating this awesomeness
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharkash View Post
    Let us be enlightened by the wisdom of urban dictionary:
    2. opinion
    immunity to being told your wrong

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Zihaja is Elton John.
    Darn, there goes all the gp I placed on Zihaja being David Bowie
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the various connections to "standard" D&D. In fact, I like everything of this. Keep it up!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

What, the extra-large banner wasn't enough? You may be the only one to have gotten one, as I replaced those shortly after launch.

Also, Martuakh is up. More banners on the way. Unless Afro kills me, which is more possible than usual.
    I refuse to submit! Thanks alot though, now I feel unique. Campaign setting already looking great. You should've done this earlier, then you would've beaten Eberron in that contest.

Call me Apoc.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Think you might want to include a link to this thread in that banner of yours. Might attract more players to the project if they have a direct path to it when they see a banner.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Oops, forgot about the extra gods in the way, Juhn. Guess you have... three more gods in the way, rather than two. My bad.

On the bright side, next up is Nathar, who makes Martuakh look like an angry green noodle.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2010-11-26 at 01:29 PM.