New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread V - Defenders of the Faith

Eh, you guys know my feelings on symphonic/power/progressive metal. I find metal better when there's no effort at being epic, or deep, or anything like that: it's all about catharsis. Something like King of the Road is awesome, because the band completely becomes absorbed in the music. They know it's a kinda goofy song; they don't pretend otherwise. They just play it like their lives depend on it. Same with Sleep. I dunno if that makes any sense to anyone else...

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

i get you Moff but i can't say i agree
    i like power metal
    still you make sense so i will not hold it against you

also
    tomorrow i get my results back on my frozen infinity presentation and i wil share the presentations epic story
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

3. - Top - End - #633
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    Eh, you guys know my feelings on symphonic/power/progressive metal. I find metal better when there's no effort at being epic, or deep, or anything like that: it's all about catharsis. Something like King of the Road is awesome, because the band completely becomes absorbed in the music. They know it's a kinda goofy song; they don't pretend otherwise. They just play it like their lives depend on it. Same with Sleep. I dunno if that makes any sense to anyone else...
    See I disagree. Sure, the really, really cheesy stuff like say, Hammerfall is basically Narm. But I don't think that Blind Guardian or Nightwish come off as narmy. At least, they're not narmy there. I'm sure Blind Guardian and Nightwish have fallen into the realm of Narm at least once. (Wishmaster, if its not Narm, is some hilarious "lets just have fun" song).

4. - Top - End - #634
    Halfling in the Playground

Blind Guardian and Nightwish both fall well into the Narm spectrum, in my opinion - especially Nightwish. But I guess both bands convey exactly the kind of fantasy-tinged escapist aesthetic that they're going for. In other words: they're good at what they do, but it's not for everybody.
    - Poul Høi
    Check out my band! - Red Deer Jebediah
    ... please

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RedDeerJebediah View Post
    Blind Guardian and Nightwish both fall well into the Narm spectrum, in my opinion - especially Nightwish. But I guess both bands convey exactly the kind of fantasy-tinged escapist aesthetic that they're going for. In other words: they're good at what they do, but it's not for everybody.
    exactly
    for me narm is part of the joy of power metal
    i love fantasy novels so consequently i love fantasy music
    i like how corny it is because it allows me to escape
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Bugbear in the Playground

Speaking of Blind Guardian, I got the most recent (my first) Blind Guardian cd a few months ago and now want to look at what they've done in the past.

Anyone have a favorite BG album?
    Also known as Jarbis

7. - Top - End - #637
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    exactly
    for me narm is part of the joy of power metal
    i love fantasy novels so consequently i love fantasy music
    i like how corny it is because it allows me to escape
    That's how I feel too. I like my power metal to be cheesy and over the top. It's fun and let's me forget about life for a while. When things are going rough I don't really want to listen to something dark, I want stuff that makes me feel pumped up.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I feel that Old Nightwish was a lot about Narm, but they're more "serious" now. Amaranth and Master Passion Greed are hardly Narm. Maybe the music vid for Amaranth might be (slightly), but that's about it.

Old Nightwish had plenty of Narm. Pre-century Child was fantasy/power metal cheese.

9. - Top - End - #639

Quote Originally Posted by Makensha View Post
    Speaking of Blind Guardian, I got the most recent (my first) Blind Guardian cd a few months ago and now want to look at what they've done in the past.

My personal favorite of what I've heard is A Night at the Opera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

Hard question since they're by far my favouriite band, but I would recommended picking up "live" next. It's a fantastic live album and has a lot of their best old tracks along with some fantastic performances from some more recent albums. Other than that I would just say stick to their last five albums, before that Hansi's vocals are.......hit and miss to put it nicely.
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

11. - Top - End - #641
    Troll in the Playground

Nightwish is pretty damn narmy, from my point of view. *shrug*

12. - Top - End - #642
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by toasty View Post
    I feel that Old Nightwish was a lot about Narm, but they're more "serious" now. Amaranth and Master Passion Greed are hardly Narm. Maybe the music vid for Amaranth might be (slightly), but that's about it.

Old Nightwish had plenty of Narm. Pre-century Child was fantasy/power metal cheese.
    Really? Really.

I just see it this way: Old Nighwish had a few really good songs (stargazers, Sacrament of Wilderness), and a whole lot of songs with no riffs but really nice vocals. Is it cheesy? Maybe, but who cares? If you're listening to Nightwish, you don't get to complain about cheese.

As for new Nightwish being more serious... Depends on what you think serious means. For example, I think that the first two Iron Maiden albums are far more serious than the latest two Maiden albums, as far as riffs and overall songwriting. However, it's easy to see that Iron Maiden were going for a more serious feel with their newest works - longer, slower songs, without nearly as much of the "fun" elements that they had in their early years. I would say the same thing for Nightwish - They have a more serious [I]style,[I] but, to me, the quality and originality of their work is a joke. They no longer have riffs - I know, they also didn't have riffs for the last couple of albums with Tarja, but her vocals were good enough to cover for that. So, no, new Nightwish is not more serious. Less fun, maybe, but that doesn't translate to a more serious approach to songwriting, which is what I look for in a "serious" band.

13. - Top - End - #643

I'm also a big Blind Guardian fan. Maybe this year I'll see them live for the first time, haven't decided if I visit Wacken this year.

My favorite Blind Guardian album ? That's a hard one, I like their first three albums and 1998's "Nightfall in Middle-Earth" most. But if I have to make a decision I say ... "Battalions of Fear", yes, their first one.

Early Blind Guardian is more like speed metal with fantasy-themed lyrics. Over time they became more power metal (also a bit more goth => so many plaintive singing by Hansi).

Blind Guardian don't knock my socks of anymore with their output in this millennium1. Overblown, bombastic power metal with infinitely overdubbed plaintive (choral) singing. I know that many people really dig how Hansi's voice sounds / hath developed over the last few albums but I much prefer his rougher style on the earlier albums. More manly, less wailing and you can actually understand what he sings.

I recommend the live dvd "Imaginations Through The Looking Glass" over the live album. A good mix of old and new songs (up to "A Night at the Opera") and the next best thing to seeing them live.

1 = sole exception: "... And Than There Was Silence" from ANatO, that song is a true piece of art and their bombastic sound is quite appropriate for it.
    Last edited by Amiria; 2011-05-03 at 12:39 PM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #644

Fav BG album? Definitely Imaginations From The Other Side. They've hit the perfect balance between bombast and speed on this one. The earlier albums I like too, mainly because they've accompanied me during my teenage years.
    The later stuff, while nice in its own right, is not really BG anymore, IMHO.

And for the live stuff: Tokyo Tales. 'Nuff said

Also: Savage Circus: The better contemporary Blind Guardian. Discuss.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

Nightfall in middle earth, Imaginations from the other side, and Tales from twilight world. Not necessarly in this order (depends on my current mood).

Quote Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
    And for the live stuff: Tokyo Tales. 'Nuff said
    Seconded.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2011-05-03 at 04:39 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Live album is what I would recommend as well for Blind Guardian.
    It features alot of their songs, and the live setting presents them in a great way.
    I prefer the first 2 albums, but the production is sometimes uneven, so the live one takes care of that.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Orc in the Playground

I have a mixed view of BG. I really like Imaginations from the Other Side, as well as Nightfall in Middle Earth. On the other hand, I don't really like most of their early work. They were my first power metal band, but I've drifted away over the years.

I've been listening to a lot of sludge/post metal recently (Cult of Luna and Isis in particular). Any recommendation for similar bands?

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amiria View Post
    I'm also a big Blind Guardian fan. Maybe this year I'll see them live for the first time, haven't decided if I visit Wacken this year.

My favorite Blind Guardian album ? That's a hard one, I like their first three albums and 1998's "Nightfall in Middle-Earth" most. But if I have to make a decision I say ... "Battalions of Fear", yes, their first one.

Early Blind Guardian is more like speed metal with fantasy-themed lyrics. Over time they became more power metal (also a bit more goth => so many plaintive singing by Hansi).

Blind Guardian don't knock my socks of anymore with their output in this millennium1. Overblown, bombastic power metal with infinitely overdubbed plaintive (choral) singing. I know that many people really dig how Hansi's voice sounds / hath developed over the last few albums but I much prefer his rougher style on the earlier albums. More manly, less wailing and you can actually understand what he sings.

I recommend the live dvd "Imaginations Through The Looking Glass" over the live album. A good mix of old and new songs (up to "A Night at the Opera") and the next best thing to seeing them live.

1 = sole exception: "... And Than There Was Silence" from ANatO, that song is a true piece of art and their bombastic sound is quite appropriate for it.
    It's funny, this is pretty much the exact opposite of my thoughts on the band. I pretty much despise everything up unto somewhere far beyond unless it's done live, but the stuff they've done in the last 15 years or so is by far my favourite music regardless of genre. It seems like there's two main schools of thought on Blind Guardian, although I still don't get the appeal of their old stuff.
    definitely benefit from good production quality, as lo fi doesn't suit their style at all, and I love the intricacy and layering of their recent albums, is this

Valhalla (89) and valhalla (2004)
    The Former is hilarious, and a good example of what you should never ever do as a metal vocalist, the latter is in my opinion one of the most epic songs in the history of ever. Plus, metal doesn't get much better than this

The main reason I prefer Blind Guardian now aside from the fact that they

also with non live albums I would say it goes

Nightfall in Middle earth
    A Night at The Opera
    At The edge of Time
    Imaginations from The other side
    A Twist in The Myth

All are amazing albums, everyone go buy them now .
    Last edited by zeratul; 2011-05-03 at 01:42 PM.
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

on the bg discussion
    i like nightfall on middle earth

now as to my presentation of frozen infinity
    this is all true however the dialogue has been translated from the original french
    first a little background
    basically in my class there are two other metalheads, in addition there are a couple of people who are into metal but not actual metalheads. Because this class is an elective its open to kids from like 7th-12th grade. Theres a seventh grader in this class who knows literally no bands asides from the beatles and makes some very ridiculous dances up when we're studying new bands.
    The presentation starts off fine i give a bit about the history of the band and talk about its influences
    then the fun started
    i plugged my mp3 player into the speakers to share the frozen infinity song "The Neverending Story" (one of my favorites btw)
    The seventh grader starts playing a mediocre air guitar, a kid band him sees this and facepalms
    the two metalheads start headbanging slowly and the music teachers eyes are slowly widening
    i finish my sample of the song and one of the metalheads calls out
    "So they're like in flames only with more brutal/better vocals?"
    me; "Pretty much"
    Teacher; "Its kind of brutal"
    Metalhead (Who spoke before); Madame its not just brutal its pretty F***ing awesome
    Teacher: Jawdrop
    then there is a chorus of "Hell Yeah's" and "Up the Irons" and i played another song

surprisingly the teacher didn't get angry at us for swearing and just kinda rolled with it
    also i got (the french equivalent of) an A
    so thank you Whoracle for giving me material for an awesome music presentation
    My Metal Blog

20. - Top - End - #650
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mythestopheles View Post
    I've been listening to a lot of sludge/post metal recently (Cult of Luna and Isis in particular). Any recommendation for similar bands?
    Om, Pelican, Kylesa, Black Tusk, Boris...

Most of 'em are more on the sludge end of the spectrum. If you have any cool post metal, lemme know. I'm trying to listen to more of that stuff.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Orc in the Playground

I feel like this is too obvious, but there's Neurosis which is a clear influence on the two bands you mentioned.
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eyeofsaulot View Post
    I feel like this is too obvious, but there's Neurosis which is a clear influence on the two bands you mentioned.
    i just checked them out
    they are pretty decent
    My Metal Blog

23. - Top - End - #653

Glad to hear your presentation went well, grimbold :)

24. - Top - End - #654
    Halfling in the Playground

Besides what Moff already has mentioned (he always gets a head start on recommending great bands ), Red Sparowes is great, but it's probably more post-rock than post-metal, technically.

Mogwai also comes off as much heavier when seen live. Possibly just because they play so damn loud - after having finished the first song, Stuart Braithwaite immediately complained that Danish law prohibited them from playing any louder, and suggested that we "stopped voting for such idiots". It was by far the loudest concert I've ever been to.
    - Poul Høi
    Check out my band! - Red Deer Jebediah
    ... please

25. - Top - End - #655
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    I know! Can you believe that these kids listen to Dream Theater and Star One?

But, teasing aside, Star One is just so painfully cheesy/gimmicky that I can listen to High Moon and Intergalactic Space Crusaders maybe once per year, each.
    Hey, what this thread needs is more prog metal. You can never have enough!

26. - Top - End - #656
    Orc in the Playground

Red Sparowes is great, but it's probably more post-rock than post-metal, technically.
    Speaking of Red Sparowes, one of their former members was in this band Battle of Mice (note: listen to it *loud*). It's one of those rare post-metal bands with a female vocalist. And they couldn't have found a better fit; Julie Christmas is bats**t insane. She doesn't do guttural vocals or anything like that, but her intensity puts the likes of Angela Gossow to shame.

my last.fm
    my rym

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

fail

Alestorm is touring europe
    but not paris
    :(
    My Metal Blog

28. - Top - End - #658
    Troll in the Playground

Hey ya'll. I'm wondering, can any of you shoot some suggestions for mind screwy Black Metal my way? I'm thinking of stuff like:

The Axis of Perdition: Corridors, The Ichneumon Method and Deleted Scenes
    Aborym: Kali Yuga Bizarre and With No Human Intervention
    Diapsiquir: Virus S.T.N.
    Blut Aus Nord: Work Which Transforms God

Thanks!
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

29. - Top - End - #659
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    Hey ya'll. I'm wondering, can any of you shoot some suggestions for mind screwy Black Metal my way?
    If you like Axis of Perdition, Deathspell Omega is right up your alley. I've seen the two get compared a lot, most often because of their similar dedication to atmosphere and dissonance.

my last.fm
    my rym

30. - Top - End - #660
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eyeofsaulot View Post
    If you like Axis of Perdition, Deathspell Omega is right up your alley. I've seen the two get compared a lot, most often because of their similar dedication to atmosphere and dissonance.
    I'm familiar with DsO, but I used to always listen to Si Monumentum and Inquisitors. I haven't heard their most recent album but man this song is awesome. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives