New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 6: Will we ever stop burning through threads so quickly?

Senior Cut Day? What's that?

a) mandatory hair cut for the Seniors
    b) the Seniors who weren't good enough are culled
    c) Every Senior gets raw material for a film and has to edit it

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 6: Will we ever stop burning through threads so quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Senior Cut Day? What's that?

a) mandatory hair cut for the Seniors
    b) the Seniors who weren't good enough are culled
    c) Every Senior gets raw material for a film and has to edit it
    d) Seniors cut class by virtue of being Seniors. Shame on you Coffee. I expected better of you .
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2011-05-27 at 09:38 AM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Titan in the Playground

My school had the last day of school for Seniors recently. The day was also Senior Ditch Day, no senior should come do school.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Titan in the Playground

I came to school on my senior ditch day. I spent the time to both:

1) Do some last bit of preparation for my senior project, which is required to graduate.

2) Take a suprise quiz and/or exam in 5 out of 6 of my classes. All the questions were "What is Mr. Noah's last name?" or some other ridiculously easy question that had the answer contained in it as well. And all these quizzes actually affected our grades.

So, ya. That was my senior ditch day.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2011-05-27 at 01:48 PM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

My senior skip day was a couple weeks ago, the day before prom, because all the girls going apparently needed seven hours to do their hair and makeup. I actually showed up at school because I wasn't going to prom.

What I did:
    Seminar - Finished a physics lab I missed because of a band concert. It was worth 10% of my grade, so it wasn't like I was going to skip even if I was going to prom.
    Physics - Our teacher set up a thermodynamics lesson because none of the irresponsible people were going to show. Not the boring kind of thermo, the FUN stuff that included setting things on fire and boiling water with a magnet.
    Band - We couldn't play because half the class was missing, so we listened to music and played ninja the whole time.
    Chem - Watched a movie since only four kids showed up.

Conclusions:
    It is more fun to come to school on senior skip day than it is to sit at home and refresh OotS all day waiting for the new comic.

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I spent my senior day/night on a cruise on the Baltic sea with the rest of my class + a few other schools as well

Was fun
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Colossus in the Playground

I worked on this comic and got a kitten adopted. Update time!

#135: Just Business
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2011-05-27 at 05:04 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Titan in the Playground

There's a typo. It says "Seeking the economic greatness that Runite was truly starting to obtain, my father passed the Edit of Toleration."
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Titan in the Playground

on my senior ditch day, I didn't actually ditch at all, I went on a personally arranged and approved field trip to a college that I think of as worthwhile and enlightening.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Titan in the Playground

A reason to pass a law against racism beyond 'i want to be nice'? Vhat a tweest!
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    I worked on this comic and got a kitten adopted. Update time!

#135: Just Business
    Awww. I love it when kittens get new homes.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

So it's all about money, eh?

Nice update!
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That question about the alligators was kind of cute. Speaking of Riley, I think there's a slight error in the fifth panel. His left arm looks like it lacks an elbow.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Nifty update.

On my Senior Skip Day, I was actually home sick. As a result, my absence was counted as unexcused and I couldn't make up my work, since they thought I skipped school like the rest of my class.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Titan in the Playground

Good to see someone acknowledging that tolerance is good for you, not just nice.

Thumbs up!

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    There's a typo. It says "Seeking the economic greatness that Runite was truly starting to obtain, my father passed the Edit of Toleration."

Am i the only one VASTLY amused that the typo created the word Edit?
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

17. - Top - End - #1127

Ugh, great. I'll fix it all later.

You know what it is? Runite, a trade-oriented, capitalist city-state, was the first in Nordica to realize that there really is no economic benefit to the sort of intolerance that Kago preaches; everyone has the capacity to make and spend money. So, they (legally; the Plavaan get kicked around a bit everywhere but there's a difference between rocks in the window and government-sanctioned xenophobia) gave the Plavaan the legal right to do so.

So when Kago started to get aggressive, many of the Plavaan moved to Runite. Ta-dah! Runite just got several thousand working-class laborers and middle-class professionals, and they're growing by the day! Everyone wins! (Except Kago. They're prejudicing themselves into bankruptcy.)

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Ettin in the Playground

Ooh. Can we see the kitten by any chance?
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Pixie in the Playground

That racial tolerance helps the ecomony and prejudice harms it is historically accurate. Spain crippled themselves economically in 1492-1502 by driving all of the Jews and Muslims out of the state, thus depriving itself of most of its entrepreneur class. There are other examples, but I'm trying not to go full on history nerd. Racism is unproductive.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Titan in the Playground

Poland-Lithuania in the 14th and 15th century did what the Runites are doing now. Then in the late 16th and early 17th century they reversed policy and soon fell to their neighbors.

― Tim Fargo

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh. Can we see the kitten by any chance?
    Agreed. (Though, your probably didn't take the picture of the kitten before it was adopted.)
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2011-05-28 at 01:57 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jinglebelle View Post
    That racial tolerance helps the ecomony and prejudice harms it is historically accurate. Spain crippled themselves economically in 1492-1502 by driving all of the Jews and Muslims out of the state, thus depriving itself of most of its entrepreneur class. There are other examples, but I'm trying not to go full on history nerd. Racism is unproductive.
    Feel free to educate us. School never taught me anything like this.

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AndersW View Post
    Feel free to educate us. School never taught me anything like this.
    I'm not sure it can be discussed here wouldn't that fall under the forum's politics rule?

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Ettin in the Playground

Or possibly the religion rule, given the example.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

25. - Top - End - #1135

I don't think I can give a full explanation either, but I think I can give a basic one. Using the races found here.

Kago, upon invading the Alavaan Plains, started mistreating the Plavaan even more. They left, mainly to Runite. Kago lost a lot of working-class labor and middle-class merchants and professionals. Who hold the wealth. These laborers, merchants, and professionals left Kago and went to Runite, a city-state that asks questions like, "Can you make money?" over "Do you have green skin and fangs?"

Which nation will economically thrive, and which one is all but bankrupt?

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    I don't think I can give a full explanation either, but I think I can give a basic one. Using the races found here.

Kago, upon invading the Alavaan Plains, started mistreating the Plavaan even more. They left, mainly to Runite. Kago lost a lot of working-class labor and middle-class merchants and professionals. Who hold the wealth. These laborers, merchants, and professionals left Kago and went to Runite, a city-state that asks questions like, "Can you make money?" over "Do you have green skin and fangs?"

Which nation will economically thrive, and which one is all but bankrupt?
    Especially when you consider that many of the fleeing Plavaan are salting the fields behind them, and presumably doing other things to ensure that Kago gains nothing from the land.

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

A moderate amount of racism isn't very good for the economy either. By 'moderate', I mean how the northern USA generally treated immigrants and blacks in the late 1800's.

If the prejudiced race is given very little opportunity to work in anything other than unskilled labor, then they are essentially forced to accept any wage those employers offer them, even if it's only a few cents a day. This floods the unskilled labor market with cheap labor and forces all the 'accepted' groups to take low wages as well for fear that they'll be replaced by someone from an 'unaccepted' group.

This process also pulls down workers' rights as well. Eventually, you get a new ultra-poor working class made up of unskilled laborers and an ultra-rich class made up of the employers who exploited the low wages for their own personal profit. The new poor class has so little money that they can't buy anything but food and shelter, while the new rich class has enough money to play God with the economy. Essentially, all the new wealth acquired by bringing new workers into the economy goes to the people who already have too much money.

This is why that orc in a business suit speaks volumes about the Runite economy. The Plaavan are allowed to become educated and work in SKILLED LABOR. Wages are NOT dragged down by the entrance of Plaavans into the market. They are allowed to employ themselves as tradesmen and merchants, so some of their wealth is circulated back to them. This further encourages more Plaavan to come to Runite.

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Titan in the Playground

Coffee - I defy you to come up with traditional Plavaan food that is more disgusting than what we already eat in Scandinavia!

― Tim Fargo

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Coffee - I defy you to come up with traditional Plavaan food that is more disgusting than what we already eat in Scandinavia!
    Plavaan Haggis.

All the guts! None of the culture!

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Titan in the Playground

Haggis is mainstream compared to the things I'm thinking of...

― Tim Fargo