New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion III: Weddings Are An Act of Villainy

Not the question. The question is can I deactivate the charm which needs to be activated (Nemesis Self) in order to use my goal charm (Puissance Mimicry) without losing the latter? Does it only check at activation or do I lose everything when I stop being a nemesis?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Really, I think that, while hilarious, shouting IGNORE MEEE! and having it work should be a MALFEAS effect, because that's just how the Yozi king rolls. He also needs effects for shouting LOVE MEEE!, FEAR MEEE!, and DANCE WITH MEEE!, too.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Banned

What are some sources for Fae fluff/crunch besides GWM?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

CoCD: The Wyld has some useful tidbits--and by "useful tidbits" I mean a three-course meal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    Honestly, this seems like a really awesome Solar stealth charm. Doesn't make you actually invisible at all - in fact, is Obvious and flares your anima. But it forces people to ignore you as an unnatural mental influence!
    As Jok points out, this is far more Malfean than it is Solar.

I mean, you can near-completely replicate the effects of Solar Stealth with a combination of solar Presence and Solar Performance.

I just want to see more than two stealth charms that make you really really good at being stealthy, as Solar Stealth should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

but its more hilarious, unique and awesome this way. You don't need actual stealth, you can just convince everyone that you aren't there, so there is no need to be concerned about you, therefore why need stealth when people are convinced that your so stealthy that your not there?

I mean just imagine:
    DB 1: I saw an Anathema that was never there today, nothing to worry about.
    DB 2: What do you mean you saw an Anathema that wasn't there?
    DB 1: I saw him, he just wasn't there, a hallucination y'know.
    DB 2: Hm. the work must be getting you, maybe you should take a vacation?
    DB 1: Yea sounds like a good idea, sorry for bothering about that whole "Anathema that wasn't there" nonsense.
    DB 2: don't worry about it, stress and boredom gets the best of us sooner or later.
    DB 1: cya
    Db 2: bye.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's hilarious. It's unique. It's... not really awesome at all. It invalidates how solars are supposed to work, through mastery of mundane things. Solars master things mortals do. But when they try to be sneaky, they do so by NOT being stealthy at all? It's... really, really stupid. Plus, it's the most boring method of being stealthy I've ever heard. unique =/= good.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, I've been looking at Power Armour and thinking about how mortals can use it, and I had a thought. The Enlightened Essence merit gives motes to mortals. At Essence 1, they get 10 motes, which is enough for Celestial Battle Armour. If they had attuned to a sufficient hearthstone, doesn't that mean a mortal can use Celestial Battle Armour? Of course, they would need to raise their Essence if they wanted to be able to use the armour's features.

EDIT: Also, wouldn't Essence-Lending Method work as well (don't see a clause preventing it from benefiting mortals)?
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2011-03-28 at 02:07 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Reynard is right, in that Solars should have the capacity to be truly stealthy. We have the Night Caste anima as a great example of Solars being willing to hide their glory for the purposes of practicality. While the whole "I'm a big damn Sun" theme is nice and all, it's not the only one, and some players (and realistically, some Solars) are going to want to explore something else.

How about a charm that just removes that whole "fades instantly if you move" clause of Invisible Status Spirit (but keeping the "if you fight" part - or perhaps changing it to "if you are in battle for more than 1 tick", to allow stealth-eliminating guards and such)?

EDIT: I still like the "Big Damn Sun" theme just fine, though. And I don't think the "No, what you think is cool is wrongbadfun" attitude is very helpful, guys. Do you really wanna be like the official forums here?
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-03-28 at 02:11 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    So, I've been looking at Power Armour and thinking about how mortals can use it, and I had a thought. The Enlightened Essence merit gives motes to mortals. At Essence 1, they get 10 motes, which is enough for Celestial Battle Armour. If they had attuned to a sufficient hearthstone, doesn't that mean a mortal can use Celestial Battle Armour? Of course, they would need to raise their Essence if they wanted to be able to use the armour's features.

EDIT: Also, wouldn't Essence-Lending Method work as well (don't see a clause preventing it from benefiting mortals)?
    Yes. Enlightened mortals can attune Celestial Battle Armour just fine.

They can't get magical material bonuses though.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    As Jok points out
    I said that. I'm not Jokasti. I don't even look like Jokasti. I have a cute ponytar for an avatar, and Jokasti has ... whoever that is.For the moment. The Herd is watching, Jokasti.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I said that. I'm not Jokasti. I don't even look like Jokasti. I have a cute ponytar for an avatar, and Jokasti has ... whoever that is.For the moment. The Herd is watching, Jokasti.
    I am sorry. My body is comprised almost entirely of ache and my face currently contains mostly mucus.
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Reynard is right, in that Solars should have the capacity to be truly stealthy. We have the Night Caste anima as a great example of Solars being willing to hide their glory for the purposes of practicality. While the whole "I'm a big damn Sun" theme is nice and all, it's not the only one, and some players (and realistically, some Solars) are going to want to explore something else.
    True, I hadn't thought of the conflict between "Solars are good at things mortals do," and "Solars are the Mighty Lords of Creation".

I'd reconcile that in a game by saying that the in-book Solar Stealth tree was designed in the First Age - when none of the Night caste really thought to rely heavily on stealth charms, because why bother, just use an Excellency until you're ready to Kill Them In The Face.

From there, you just develop new charm trees entirely for the Solars, based around things like bending light, setting up camouflage, suppressing light and sound (an effect similar to the D&D spell "Darkness" would be interesting here, I think), and so forth. I'd work with the player if I had any interested in the prospect.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    I am sorry. My body is comprised almost entirely of ache and my face currently contains mostly mucus.
    That is no excuse whatsoever. You have impugned my honor. The only recourse is to fight with knives.

Last edited by tonberrian; 2011-03-28 at 02:37 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    CoCD: The Wyld has some useful tidbits--and by "useful tidbits" I mean a three-course meal.
    *facepalm* Yeah, I should have thunk a that. Thanks.

It's Molly the Witch, heathen! I'll probably draw myself a ponytar soon though. I still haven't watched enough of the Glorious Light.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm interested in playing an elightened mortal, and I'm wondering whether to buy the Scroll of Heroes. It seems like the obvious source for rules on enlightenment, but it also has a terrible reputation. Bad enough that I'm considering just going with a Demon-Blood using the Infernals book, even if that doesn't quite fit my concept. Any thoughts?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jokasti View Post
    It's Molly the Witch, heathen!
    That is remarkably unhelpful for a google search.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gareth View Post
    I'm interested in playing an elightened mortal, and I'm wondering whether to buy the Scroll of Heroes. It seems like the obvious source for rules on enlightenment, but it also has a terrible reputation. Bad enough that I'm considering just going with a Demon-Blood using the Infernals book, even if that doesn't quite fit my concept. Any thoughts?
    Playing an enlightened mortal in what sort of game?

You can kinda play well with DBs, and I know someone who played an EMortal who beat up a DB, but eventually they flare their anima and you become ash.

You really can't last long in Celestial Exalt games. True, you lost the Mortal reflexive charm Die Horribly, but you'll still die horribly. Your best hope their would be to consider trying to Exalt as a Celestial, or dying and exalting as Abyssal.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Banned

That is remarkably unhelpful for a google search.
    She's from Bibliography. Read it.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly? Don't. There's a fix here that includes information on some of the more useful things from SoH,like "Getting full enlightened essence costs 7 BP." Then use the rules in the core book and buy some Terrestrial Circle Sorcery, or Terrestrial Martial Arts if you want to fight face-to-face with things that can splatter you instead of trying to out-plan them, and call it a day. Some Thaumaturgy and mutations (especially summoning-related and healing-related things) can also be very helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Banned

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Yes. Enlightened mortals can attune Celestial Battle Armour just fine.
    IIRC, the write up actually specifies that only Celestial Exalted can use Celestial Battle Armor. That's why there are no Jade versions.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    IIRC, the write up actually specifies that only Celestial Exalted can use Celestial Battle Armor. That's why there are no Jade versions.
    Doesn't say only Celestials can use it, just that it was made for Celestials.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Doesn't say only Celestials can use it, just that it was made for Celestials.
    I remember some line about Terrestrial Essence being insufficient to power Celestial Battle Armor.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

I remember some line about Terrestrial Essence being insufficient to power Celestial Battle Armor.
    Not that it matters, because the Armour of the Immaculate Dragons is, well, better.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Bugbear in the Playground

Terrestrial animas are not sufficiently powerful to use this armor.
    Yep, you're right. Presumably this means that a non-Exalted couldn't use it at all.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Honestly? Don't. There's a fix here that includes information on some of the more useful things from SoH,like "Getting full enlightened essence costs 7 BP."
    Thanks for the link. Let's say that this character should be viable in a low-Essence Dragon-Blooded game. Any lower-powered game is unlikely to be run, and anything higher would just squish him. So what should he get? I have the Dragon-Blooded book, with its two Terrestrial Martial Arts styles. Is that enough, or is it worth getting Scroll of Monk for some more Terrestrial options?
    The other options are Sorcery and Necromancy. I assume that getting both is a bad idea - it would stretch his points too thin and there's no synergy between them. And Sorcery is a better choice than Necromancy at these low levels, because it's less specialised. So what are some good Terrrestrial spells, bearing in mind the limitations of an enlightened mortal?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

The other options are Sorcery and Necromancy. I assume that getting both is a bad idea - it would stretch his points too thin and there's no synergy between them. And Sorcery is a better choice than Necromancy at these low levels, because it's less specialised. So what are some good Terrrestrial spells, bearing in mind the limitations of an enlightened mortal?
    None of them.

Get Thaumaturge degrees instead. Thaumaturgy is much much better than sorcery.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Also as a point of clarification an Enlightened Mortal can't learn both Sorcery and Necromancy. It's one or the other.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Also as a point of clarification an Enlightened Mortal can't learn both Sorcery and Necromancy. It's one or the other.
    Thanks, I didn't know that.

None of them.
    Get Thaumaturge degrees instead. Thaumaturgy is much much better than sorcery.
    What about travel spells? Do they just cost too many motes to be worth it?