New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: When you play the Game of Thrones...

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    The armor is cool, the helm is... a bit over the top, I think.
    I have to disagree, the helm is what makes it so awesome. And we know canonically helms in that style are in the ASOIAF universe (see the armorer who offers to make a direwolf helm for Ned. And I think Tywin had a lion helm... if he does, I can't wait to see it)
    Last edited by Seerow; 2011-05-25 at 01:46 PM.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    I have to disagree, the helm is what makes it so awesome. And we know canonically helms in that style are in the ASOIAF universe (see the armorer who offers to make a direwolf helm for Ned. And I think Tywin had a lion helm... if he does, I can't wait to see it)
    It doesn't need to move around and look like it is chewing on something whenever Sandor moves though. A single, solid helm would be fine. As for helms in that universe, there are a lot of them at the tournaments, and we should be seeing Renly's pretty soon.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    It doesn't need to move around and look like it is chewing on something whenever Sandor moves though. A single, solid helm would be fine. As for helms in that universe, there are a lot of them at the tournaments, and we should be seeing Renly's pretty soon.
    I disagree. thats what makes it awesome, you look at it and see....a helm that looks like its chewing when its wearer moves. creepiness factor and scariness factor is upped.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Yoren take a particularly overactive body part that was recently removed from its inexplicably still moving owner with him to king's landing? Is Tyrion going to be aware of such a trophy? Or are they going to cut out Jon's best action scene in this book? I hope not.

This show is becoming something I look forward to every week. Not just for the show but fact that my circle of friends and family are into it and the discussions that follow is just too fun. Though biting my tongue about whats to come is starting to cause bleeding.
    I'm not bad, I just aim that way ~my own comment on my Call of Duty abilities.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Derthric View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Yoren take a particularly overactive body part that was recently removed from its inexplicably still moving owner with him to king's landing? Is Tyrion going to be aware of such a trophy? Or are they going to cut out Jon's best action scene in this book? I hope not.

This show is becoming something I look forward to every week. Not just for the show but fact that my circle of friends and family are into it and the discussions that follow is just too fun. Though biting my tongue about whats to come is starting to cause bleeding.
    Spoiler
    Show

No, that's not Yoren. Ser Alliser Thorne takes it south in Clash of Kings. Yoren heads south in this book, is in King's Landing when Ned is killed, and takes Arya with him on the way back north.
    ithilanor on Steam.

6. - Top - End - #276

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

No, that's not Yoren. Ser Alliser Thorne takes it south in Clash of Kings. Yoren heads south in this book, is in King's Landing when Ned is killed, and takes Arya with him on the way back north.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah I seem to have crossed some memories then. And I am looking forward to seeing Yoren and Arya at the steps of the Sept. Plus this means Jon gets to be a hero and actually kill an Other
    I'm not bad, I just aim that way ~my own comment on my Call of Duty abilities.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah I seem to have crossed some memories then. And I am looking forward to seeing Yoren and Arya at the steps of the Sept. Plus this means Jon gets to be a hero and actually kill an Other
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well he kills a wight, one of the rangers come back to life. To kill an other you need dragonsfire and/or obsidian I believe? Correct me if I am wrong.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Also, titanic balls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mathis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well he kills a wight, one of the rangers come back to life. To kill an other you need dragonsfire and/or obsidian I believe? Correct me if I am wrong.
    Spoiler
    Show
    any fire will do, obsidian and valyrian steel.

10. - Top - End - #280

Quote Originally Posted by Chirios View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    any fire will do, obsidian and valyrian steel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah thank you! Is that for Wights or for Others though? I remember there being a clear distinction between the way the two functioned. If only I weren't in the middle of my exam period I would re-read the books to check, does anyone remember?
    Last edited by Mathis; 2011-05-05 at 11:57 AM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    reasonably certain I remember the Others being said to fear fire

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah thank you! Is that for Wights or for Others though? I remember there being a clear distinction between the way the two functioned. If only I weren't in the middle of my exam period I would re-read the books to check, does anyone remember?
    Spoiler
    Show
    That was the Others. Jon killed the wight by lighting the area on fire, essentially burning it to death with a flaming curtain. Sam Tarly both kills an Other with an obsidian dagger and finds documentation that says they can be killed by dragonfire, dragonglass (obsidian), and Valyrian steel.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

13. - Top - End - #283

Sadly my non-reader friends were very meh about the series after watching the first episode. I've convinced them to wait a few weeks, and give it another chance watching the first 5-6 episodes, to give more time for the characters to develop at the story to flesh out before judging.

Spoiler
    Show
    On the subject of Others/Wights, like Knaight said the Others and the Wights are different things. The Others can't be harmed by regular fire or normal weapons, only by the items he mentioned. Wights on the other hand do burn in normal fire.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    That was the Others. Jon killed the wight by lighting the area on fire, essentially burning it to death with a flaming curtain. Sam Tarly both kills an Other with an obsidian dagger and finds documentation that says they can be killed by dragonfire, dragonglass (obsidian), and Valyrian steel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ACTUALLY . . . he found a reference to "frozen dragon fire" or some such which all assumed was Valyrian steel. It's not been entirely confirmed at this point, however.
    Last edited by hamlet; 2011-05-05 at 03:15 PM.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

15. - Top - End - #285

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    ACTUALLY . . . he found a reference to "frozen dragon fire" or some such which all assumed was Valyrian steel. It's not been entirely confirmed at this point, however.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought that "frozen dragon fire" had been pretty definitively confirmed to be obsidian?

16. - Top - End - #286

Spoiler
    Show
    Wait, I thought, the others and the wights were the same thing. What's the difference between the two?

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Nomrom View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wait, I thought, the others and the wights were the same thing. What's the difference between the two?
    IIRC
    Spoiler
    Show

wights are what the show is calling the "White Walkers", zombie things. IIRC Wights are hard to kill, but not impossible. Fire is best, but a standard issue sword or axe can do the trick if used enough.
    The Others are mysterious beings that command the wights. The only ways we know to kill them are Fire and Obsidian (Or "Dragonglass"), and maybe Valerian Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

18. - Top - End - #288

Quote Originally Posted by Nomrom View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Others aka White Walkers in the show, are the ancient horror spoken of in the stories. They are the creatures we first meet in the prologue in the book. The ones with the fancy armor and pale almost other-wordly swords. Wights are humans brought back to life/undeath by The Others.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    The Others aka White Walkers in the show, are the ancient horror spoken of in the stories. They are the creatures we first meet in the prologue in the book. The ones with the fancy armor and pale almost other-wordly swords. Wights are humans brought back to life/undeath by The Others.
    Spoiler
    Show

I think the White Walkers are Wights. Since the Deserter in the first episode saw the Undead Wildlings, then reported that he had seen the "White Walkers", which would point towards White Walkers being Wights, rather than Others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

20. - Top - End - #290

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I think the White Walkers are Wights. Since the Deserter in the first episode saw the Undead Wildlings, then reported that he had seen the "White Walkers", which would point towards White Walkers being Wights, rather than Others.
    If you look at the first episode, you had the undead wildlings, those are the wights. But the thing that decapitates the Nights Watchman is one of the White Walkers. (I know, the costuming was horrible, and it looks kind of like a guy in some weird clothes, but he is distinctly different from the reanimated things)
    Last edited by Seerow; 2011-05-25 at 01:46 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

If you look at the first episode, you had the undead wildlings, those are the wights. But the thing that decapitates the Nights Watchman is one of the White Walkers. (I know, the costuming was horrible, and it looks kind of like a guy in some weird clothes, but he is distinctly different from the reanimated things)
    Seerow beat me here but yeah, the beheading guy was an Other/White Walker.

I'd be ok with the costuming and the switch really, if the White Walkers were actually bloody white. I mean really, it's black and brown looking thing, and very distinctly non-white.

22. - Top - End - #292

Spoiler
    Show
    Just saw a new preview for episode 4, seems we're finally going to get an introduction to Theon.
    Last edited by Seerow; 2011-05-25 at 01:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I also imagined King's Landing as less Mediterranean and more temperate.
    I did too, but I've been rereading the books in preparation for the new one, and King Robert's description of the summers in King's Landing (girls in very thin shirts sticking to their skins until they seem naked) doesn't really fit London/South England weather, and does fit south Italy/Spain/Greece. Dorne was made to sound Spanish-y, but when we actually went there, it turns out to be far more Sahara-like, thus Morocco, Tunisia, etc.

The tower of the hand was, however, very arabian looking (probably because they used an arabian building IRL). The rest of what we've seen of King's Landing doesn't look too arabian, though. I chalk it up to the tower being its own thing.

My biggest problems with the series so far is that the child actors, particularly Arya, are not that good at acting. She tends to deliver her lines rather badly (and the fact she's a right-handed girl trying to use a left-handed sword isn't helping either). Also, lack of presence of the wolves. But hey, that's the reason why directors hate working with children and animals, and I can suspend my disbelief for it.

I don't have the problems people seem to have with Jon and Daenerys (i.e. I don't see them anywhere as near Mary Sue as claimed), I must say I'm enjoying their characters in the TV series too.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #294

Spoiler
    Show
    My biggest problems with the series so far is that the child actors, particularly Arya, are not that good at acting. She tends to deliver her lines rather badly (and the fact she's a right-handed girl trying to use a left-handed sword isn't helping either).
    Really, complaining about Arya? Just about everyone else from other forums I've seen comment on her is generally gushing about how great of an actress she is, especially for her age, and how great her presence is. The only line I've heard complaints about her from was where she is listing off the people she hates to Ned. Even there I've read some justifications for why the line would be delivered in that way in character.

I personally tend to try not judge actors and actresses because I'm a pretty lousy judge of it (I notice a lot of people complaining about Mark Addy as Robert, for example, whom I like, and a lot of people who love Kit Harrington as Jon Snow, who to me just seems off in a way I can't put my finger on), but it is very strange to see the majority saying one actress is great, and someone else comment that they are a low point of the series.
    Last edited by Seerow; 2011-05-25 at 01:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Really, complaining about Arya? Just about everyone else from other forums I've seen comment on her is generally gushing about how great of an actress she is, especially for her age, and how great her presence is. The only line I've heard complaints about her from was where she is listing off the people she hates to Ned. Even there I've read some justifications for why the line would be delivered in that way in character.
    She momentarily broke my suspension of disbelief. I turned to my SO and said something on the lines of "well, that's an actress that needs to learn to relax and act". But as I said, she's a child, and thus I can forgive I suddenly feel like I'm watching a 10th grade theater production. I still wish they had either dropped the left-handed part or filmed the fight scenes flipped. In the Syrio scene, she clearly favours her right hand.

They're small potatoes, though. I've seen much worse, from people with far fewer justification.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Da'Shain View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought that "frozen dragon fire" had been pretty definitively confirmed to be obsidian?
    You may be correct. It's been about a year since I've read the books, but I do clearly remember there being an assumption about valyrian steel being made and I thought it was a setup for a surprise far down the road.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

27. - Top - End - #297

My only complaint about Arya is that she looks too much like a good looking girl for my tastes. I always imagined her to be much more tomboyish, especially since she is mistaken for a boy on many occasions, which is not something I imagine would happen with her actor.
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Rapture View Post
    My only complaint about Arya is that she looks too much like a good looking girl for my tastes. I always imagined her to be much more tomboyish, especially since she is mistaken for a boy on many occasions, which is not something I imagine would happen with her actor.
    Arya looks like her aunt, who was widely considered beautiful. Arya also is tomboyish because she is frequently dirty and disheveled. Looks of the actress are perfect, IMnpHO

GW

29. - Top - End - #299
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Whoever that Italian dude is, he's hilarious. I assume that means he'll die horribly at some point, as befits the serious, but till then he's going to be awesome.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Whoever that Italian dude is, he's hilarious. I assume that means he'll die horribly at some point, as befits the serious, but till then he's going to be awesome.
    Syrio Forel, the dancing master. And yes, he's hilarious. And no, not all funny people die in this story. A lot do mind you, but not all.