New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Portal 2: The Cake Is Still A Lie

Spoiler
    Show
    I can't imagine Wheatley being Cave Johnson. Their personalities are incredibly different.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Whew, just got the game. Love it. Definately a good change from all the fps i've been playing. Stuck on chapter 5, just after i got out of the big tube. Can't seem to get past the debris. Not expecting much from multiplayer,looks yo me like it's going to be filled with people just trying to drop me in the most spectacular way into water.
    Also, if anyone needs a co-op partner im ScottishDragon on xboxlive
    Last edited by ScottishDragon; 2011-04-20 at 04:06 PM.
    I killed the thread killing thread,so yeah
    I cannot be held legally responsible for injuries gained by being overcome by my epicness.
    Awesome avvie by Serpentine!
    Spoiler
    Show

my hero
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-the belkster

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I can safely say the ending answered one of the greatest questions I've ever had about the Portal series:

Spoiler
    Show

Question: Why is it so hard to get out of here?!

Answer: Because the portal gun has INFINITE RANGE and we all know you'd try shooting it at the sun or something stupid the instant you got it outside.

Really though, awesome game. Took a whole 2-3 minutes for me to love Wheately, and most of the lines from GlaDOS early game stuck her right up there with SHODAN in levels of horror.

And of course
    Spoiler
    Show

GlaDOS making me think we were BFF's at the end. Then making me think she was going to try murdering me again. Then making me think she was actually letting me go. Then making me think she was going to try murdering me AGAIN. Then the little adorable turret song and everything was happy.
    Last edited by Kyouhen; 2011-04-20 at 04:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    And of course
    Spoiler
    Show

GlaDOS making me think we were BFF's at the end. Then making me think she was going to try murdering me again. Then making me think she was actually letting me go. Then making me think she was going to try murdering me AGAIN. Then the little adorable turret song and everything was happy.
    YES! My sentiments exactly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The ending was the most perfect and epic ending ever the way it toyed/trolled you with turrets.
    Last edited by Ryusacerdos; 2011-04-20 at 05:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Finaly finshed it

Spoiler
    Show

I think the legged boxes will give me nighmares.

For a build in morron, Wheatley striked me a weirdly shrewd at time. Disabling the neurotoxin generator and the turret production before facing GALDO certainly was a good idea, and the suprise aerial faith certainly caught me by surprise. In comparaison GLADOS braggin 'yes we can escape from your deathtrap, that's how' didn't strike ma as that clever. We'll put it on count of the 1.6 she was working on.

I did find the ending somewhat...anticlimatic. I dunno, maybe I felt Glados really got too easy here. Make sense, but still somewhat unatisfying

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Question: Why is it so hard to get out of here?!

Answer: Because the portal gun has INFINITE RANGE and we all know you'd try shooting it at the sun or something stupid the instant you got it outside.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Except there's no reason whatsoever it would be a problem.
    Fom what we saw, portaling still requires a solid special(non metalic ?, certainly look like it) surface on both ends to work.
    Also it's very probable that stunt at the end only worked because of you aimed a the moon who has specials portaling propreties as Jhonson sais in one of his message.

I'd say being hard to get out is a general feature of all research centers in the half life universe. I mean, Black Messa wasn't much better, with it's rdiulouly large elevator shaft that seemed to malfunction half the time and monorail transit systems build over huge abysses.
    Wouldn't make of a game otherwise.'

So anyhow, I'd like to try the co-op at somme times if someone else feels like it.
    ('Fair Warning: I'm bad at this and will probably cause you to plummet to your death more than once.')
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2011-04-20 at 06:07 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Confirming that I am, indeed, in SPACE.

Spoiler
    Show
    I loved the two ending songs - the turret aria could have gone on for longer (maybe Valve will release it, I hope) and Johnathon Coulton is on cracking form as usual. Some people have said it's not as good as Still Alive but I disagree - each has a unique flavour and as such you can't really compare.

Also, for a murderous AI with an exponential IQ, GlaDOS has a beautiful singing voice.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

got it mid-dayish today, 30 minutes before i had to go out for the rest of the day, and tomorrow im busy all morning again, so im not going to get any playing done til mid-day tomorrow, this makes me sad

i did get to mess around on the opening areas, got so little done though, but i like what im seeing.

game of the year? decade? top 10? top 5? favorite game of all time? cant tell yet, but soon hopefully.
    easy 1 step guide to impersonating Sean Connery;
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Phn'glui mglw'nafh Roland GITP not-wagn'nagl not-fhtagn!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

Right now it's probably Game of the Year, with only Skyrim coming close, if all the hype is to be believed.

Game of the Decade? I certainly hope that there will be better games in the next nine years.

Definitely in my top 5, though.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

It's a valve game. Valve games are always best sellers
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    Finaly finshed it

Spoiler
    Show

You and me both. Dear god, some things should not be.

Spoiler
    Show
    Especially when you pick one up, it's eyes dilate in a weird way, like it was scared.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Finaly finshed it

Spoiler
    Show

For a build in morron, Wheatley striked me a weirdly shrewd at time. Disabling the neurotoxin generator and the turret production before facing GALDO certainly was a good idea, and the suprise aerial faith certainly caught me by surprise. In comparaison GLADOS braggin 'yes we can escape from your deathtrap, that's how' didn't strike ma as that clever. We'll put it on count of the 1.6 she was working on.

I did find the ending somewhat...anticlimatic. I dunno, maybe I felt Glados really got too easy here. Make sense, but still somewhat unatisfying
    Spoiler
    Show

I thought they were adorable! I've dubbed them Weighted Crab Cubes and I did my best to make sure that in every area where there was one I let the little guy roam free and happy. Because they're overly adorable.

I dunno, I think in both cases it was mostly just common sense. GlaDOS only really has 3 ways to kill you: neurotoxin, turrets, and deathtraps. And really the only way to disable the deathtraps is to kill GlaDOS. And remember, he's designed to make the worst decision in any situation. Putting Chell in a room where she has any ability to move is automatically a bad idea if you're trying to kill her. Empty room filled with neurotoxin > crushers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fom what we saw, portaling still requires a solid special(non metalic ?, certainly look like it) surface on both ends to work.
    Also it's very probable that stunt at the end only worked because of you aimed a the moon who has specials portaling propreties as Jhonson sais in one of his message.

I'd say being hard to get out is a general feature of all research centers in the half life universe. I mean, Black Messa wasn't much better, with it's rdiulouly large elevator shaft that seemed to malfunction half the time and monorail transit systems build over huge abysses.
    Wouldn't make of a game otherwise.'

So anyhow, I'd like to try the co-op at somme times if someone else feels like it.
    ('Fair Warning: I'm bad at this and will probably cause you to plummet to your death more than once.')
    Spoiler
    Show

Huh, somehow it didn't occur to me that only worked because it was the moon. Still, they never figured out why the moon rocks were so conductive of portals, so it's perfectly possible that if you fire randomly into the air you'll hit something else that can hold them.

Game? Who says anything about games. Those research centres were clearly designed appropriately. Aperture was designed so you couldn't slip a portal device outside and start shooting the moon while Black Mesa was designed to stop aliens from getting out.

12. - Top - End - #162

Rrrrgh, I'm stuck here (spoilery picture under the spoiler):

Spoiler
    Show

I know I need to get to the place diagonally left from my cursor, but I can't figure out where to put the other portal.

Help?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    ...Blackfox and Raven. They are two fine upstanding ladies aside from their disturbing lack of reloading, Doctor Freeman.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Raven gets one free LOL from me. Start collecting LOL's now!
    Also known as Raven, and various derivations thereof.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Rrrrgh, I'm stuck here (spoilery picture under the spoiler)
    Hint (if this is indeed where I'm thinking, (but I'm pretty sure it is)):

Spoiler
    Show
    Look back at the levator shaft and try geting down the stairs a bit, I think you'll find something you very probably missed.
    (i know it sure took me forever to find, personaly)
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2011-04-20 at 08:07 PM.

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Put one portal behind and above you on the slope. Go back to the elevator shaft and go one floor below where the elevator stops (via the stairs). Then jump down the shaft and fire your other portal below you.

15. - Top - End - #165

Hint (if this is indeed where I'm thinking, (but I'm pretty sure it is)):

Spoiler
    Show
    Look back at the levator shaft and try geting down the stairs a bit, I think you'll find something you very probably missed.
    (i know it sure took me forever to find, personaly)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I had looked down there, but I gave up part of the way down. Thank you so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    ...Blackfox and Raven. They are two fine upstanding ladies aside from their disturbing lack of reloading, Doctor Freeman.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Raven gets one free LOL from me. Start collecting LOL's now!
    Also known as Raven, and various derivations thereof.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post
    It's sad because I wanted to kill that turret but couldn't seem to wrap my mind around a way to get the laser over there. I probably should have expected awesomeness.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can't imagine Wheatley being Cave Johnson. Their personalities are incredibly different.
    Seriously.

Spoiler
    Show
    The turrets are as much like Cave Johnson as Wheatley is.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

19. - Top - End - #169

And, co-operative done. Fun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    It's fluid, intuitive, there's almost none of that annoying "hit a panel while you're falling 50 miles an hour through a floor-ceiling portal loop."
    A) Almost?
    B) Even in the original you only had to do that once, on one of the advanced test chambers.

I'll keep using portals to direct this excursion funnel and that light bridge, and then completely forget that, hey, I can go through them too! And I'll be sitting there trying to figure out how to get across this pit with white walls on both sides, thinking "Now how can I get a light bridge across!?"
    I kept having that problem too.

Spoiler
    Show
    So... there was something I was excited about finding, that was apparently cut out of the game -- and so the end came too soon for me, unfortunately. That and the Caroline thing not being explored just a liiiiittle deeper...

The pneumatic diversity vents. Seen here. They looked like so much fun. But where were they?

Of course, one could say they were taken out to make room for the biggest vacuum portal of them all...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I was bothered by that as well. And then I thought, well maybe they only turn up in the co-op? They're not in the co-op either.

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    How can we even hear what Wheatley and Core 1 are saying?! There's not much of an atmosphere in a vacuum.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Science!

Spoiler
    Show
    Also it's very probable that stunt at the end only worked because you aimed at the moon who has specials portaling propreties as Johnson says in one of his message.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The fact it works on the moon I think is a pretty big reason why it would be a problem.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Inyssius Tor View Post
    Seriously.

Spoiler
    Show
    The turrets are as much like Cave Johnson as Wheatley is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, if Cave was a personality core I'm pretty sure he'd have his own voice. Wheatley doesn't even have the right accent to be Cave.

Personality-wise, I think the most similar to Cave would be the purple core that says he's an adventurer, and you should just stand back and let him take care of it, etc before you stick him on Wheatley.
    Not that I think that's him either. That's just the closest match for him other than, y'know, him.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

So finished the game. Looking at the achievements, a few I didn't get. Can anyone illuminate me?

Spoiler
    Show

You made your point / Drop Box / Overclocker / Pturretdatcyl: I just need to remember to do these things.

Pit Boss: No idea what this one is.

Final Transmission: Didn't find the hidden signal. Anyone know where this is?

Schrodinger's Catch: That is going to be super annoying to get.

Ship Overboard: Didn't find this. Where is it?

Door Prize: Must be a few I missed.

Portrait of a Lady: Where is this?

Smash TV: Anyone have a guide to smashing 11 of them?

Rest are Co-op achievements.

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Schrodinger's Catch: That is going to be super annoying to get.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just save immediately beforehand and it shouldn't take too many tries.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ship Overboard: Didn't find this. Where is it?

Door Prize: Must be a few I missed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't remember exactly when, but at some point in the old Aperture Science bit, there's a door in an office partially concealed by some boxes, but you can still get through it. Beyond that door there are more doors for door prize and the area formerly containing that missing experiment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Portrait of a Lady: Where is this?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Old Aperture Science area again, an office which I think can only be reached by portalling. Can't remember more specifically than that.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    It's fluid, intuitive, there's almost none of that annoying "hit a panel while you're falling 50 miles an hour through a floor-ceiling portal loop."
    ...Wait, the original wasn't intuitive? I mean, some of the advanced chambers, sure, they were a little pick-the-developer's-brain-y, and maybe I've an overdeveloped puzzle-sense, but it was fairly easy for me to work through the first game...

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

So finished the game. Looking at the achievements, a few I didn't get. Can anyone illuminate me?

Spoiler
    Show

Pit Boss: No idea what this one is.

Spoiler
    Show

Right after you escape The Part Where He Kills You Wheatley will ask you to come back and jump in the pit. Do so. But before you do make sure you listen to him try to convince you to jump in. There's some hilarious lines in there. (Yes I went back when I heard him ask me to come back. Just like I listened to GlaDOS when she wanted me to go back to the last test chamber during the escape, and I listened to Wheatley again at the crusher. Shame there was no achievement for that one. )

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So,I'm stuck ,and after spending 20 minutes trying to get past what looks like a small puzzle, I'm asking for help.
    Spoiler
    Show

Shortly after The Part Where He Kills You, when the Blue Goo Pipe collapses, breaking the catwalk and spraying some goo on the walls and the catwalk.
    I have heard "I just had a brainwave" so many times I think i'm going crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    So,I'm stuck ,and after spending 20 minutes trying to get past what looks like a small puzzle, I'm asking for help.
    Spoiler
    Show

Shortly after The Part Where He Kills You, when the Blue Goo Pipe collapses, breaking the catwalk and spraying some goo on the walls and the catwalk.
    I have heard "I just had a brainwave" so many times I think i'm going crazy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just jump across. Gain a bit of speed beforehand, though. It took me 5 minutes to figure that out, strangely enough. The paint on the wall threw me in a loop about what to do.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I am now in...
    Spoiler
    Show

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Am I the only one that loved the Corrupted Cores. Space Orb was adorable, and Action Orb was...built for Danger.

Also, King Turret
    Last edited by BRC; 2011-04-20 at 11:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

I am now in
    Spoiler
    Show
    SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Am I the only one that loved the Corrupted Cores. Space Orb was adorable, and Action Orb was...built for Danger.

Also, King Turret
    Spoiler
    Show

Animal King Turret. And no, you aren't. My greatest regret is that I was worried enough about the neurotoxin that I didn't spend more time listening to Action Core.
    Last edited by Kyouhen; 2011-04-20 at 11:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Also, King Turret
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh no, I must have died gassed and exploded countless time trying to listen to all their quotes.
    (Adventure and paranoid core are funny. space core was cute but I still think the 'curious' core from the first game is still the most adorable of them all, though.)

I just love the defective turrets too, they were hilarious.

"I'm not defective !"
    *launch*
    "... Well didn't hurt to try."

I didn't really understand the joke with the giant animal king turret thing. Is there a reference I miss somewhere ?

Oh and how do you get the 'no hard feeling achievement' i think I missed the oportunity for that one.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2011-04-20 at 11:08 PM.

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

29. - Top - End - #179

Spoiler
    Show
    BRC, you have an unspoilered spoiler there. Do something about it.
    And Kyouhen, you quoted it, so you too.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh and how do you get the 'no hard feelings' achievement? I think I missed the opportunity for that one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Early on in The Escape you come to a bit with conveyor belts taking turrets to be 'redeemed'. There's one still partly intact on the second belt. Rescue it.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh no, I must have died gassed and exploded countless time trying to listen to all their quotes.
    (Adventure and paranoid core are funny. space core was cute but I still think the 'curious' core from the first game is still the most adorable of them all, though.)

I just love the defective turrets too, they were hilarious.

"I'm not defective !"
    *launch*
    "... Well didn't hurt to try."

I didn't really understand the joke with the giant animal king turret thing. Is there a reference I miss somewhere ?

Oh and how do you get the 'no hard feeling achievement' i think I missed the oportunity for that one.
    Spoiler
    Show

Giant animal king turret: there's a test chamber entry chamber animation loop very early on (when you're still being tested by the automated system with the neutral voice) where it talks about humanity being taken over by aliens, or possibly advanced animals. The animation is the giant animal king turret dropping into what looks like a UN Council meeting.

To get "No Hard Feeling" you have to save the functional turret from redemption in a section leading up to you disabling the turret factory. It shows up on the second conveyor belt - I think the trigger for it appearing is you jumping onto the belt.

It even said "Thank you" in a really surprised/grateful tone of voice. One second later, I managed to fumble it into a chasm.