New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXV: DJ Callan Turns the Tables

Celestro has stumbled over Doms mongrelfolk buddy. I dont even want to get into discussing the merits of the comic as ill just scream. As I said, Most. Obvious. Lead. In. Ever. The entire frigging week was just so clearly and obviously aimed at todays cliffhangar that it boggled the mind. Did he really need to stretch out an entire week just to produce THIS cliffhangar? Would it have been so hard to have this big reveal on a wednesday and on friday dom makes the big announcement on how they are going back to the wild edge?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #722
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXV: DJ Callan Turns the Tables

It can't be that; they've already met. We have no idea what transpired between them, besides the fact that they parted on good terms, but they definitely met.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

But yes. Mookie seems to be getting WORSE at everything:

1. Even more Blankscapes
    2. Even More Filler
    3. Even Larger Plotholes
    4. Even More Stupid Rules
    5. Even Less Tension

4. - Top - End - #724

Arguably, if there were more rules, we'd have some idea of what's going to happen next. But now... BtR revealed that it's normally possible to scry the future, right? And apparently anyone can scry themselves. And besides, it's possible for visions/scries to be detected through time.

WHY DON'T SEERS JUST GIVE THEMSELVES ALL THE ANSWERS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    on friday dom makes the big announcement on how they are going back to the wild edge?

Don't get ahead - that'll be next friday (after a week of talking what they have senn)

6. - Top - End - #726
    Orc in the Playground

I don't get it. How is Dominic Deegan even known this well? DId it use to be any good? There are so many descent comics out there that have nowhere near the exposure I see for DD yet every thread I see about the webcomic is filled to the brim with Anti-Fans and collective groans. Is this what the interwebs calls Narm? Is DD a comedy? Is it unintentionally funny? Is it a webcomic Plan 9 from Outer Space?
    Deviantart
    Youtube
    Spoiler
    Show
    Every few years, the yank moviegoing public is greeted with a movie that instantly earns the desirable tag of "One of the Scariest Movies Ever Made!" This designation accustomed be reserved for less than the foremost special of terror tales — psychotic, The Exorcist, Alien — however currently, it is a catch phrase combat, Saw, The Descent, Paranormal Activity, Insidious, Sinister — the list goes on. (But no Jack and Jill? What the hell?) -A Wise Adbot

7. - Top - End - #727
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FatJose View Post
    Is it a webcomic Plan 9 from Outer Space?
    It used to be. Its like if plan 9 from outer space got progressively worse, with increasingly annoying everything.

8. - Top - End - #728

I don't get it. How is Dominic Deegan even known this well? DId it use to be any good? There are so many descent comics out there that have nowhere near the exposure I see for DD yet every thread I see about the webcomic is filled to the brim with Anti-Fans and collective groans.
    The problem is, while DD is not the worst webcomic ever (hint hint Billy the Heretic), most of the people here are former (and current!) fans of DD.
    It started out as more or less a standard fantasy comic, and made quite a few fans among those with free time to spend. Then it got worse. That's... that's the story, pretty much. The fans, fed up with its decaying quality (or offended in their sensibilities), took up snarking at the comic, Mystery Science Theater style. While admittedly cracking jokes at a comic isn't really the best of revenge plots, it's certainly one of the most carthric (sp?).
    Quote Originally Posted by FatJose
    Is this what the interwebs calls Narm? Is DD a comedy? Is it unintentionally funny? Is it a webcomic Plan 9 from Outer Space?
    DD has treaded every territory you've spoken of, and will probably reach Monster A Go-Go stage before long.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2011-05-06 at 10:43 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

9. - Top - End - #729

Allow me to put a nice thought in your brains:

When we get to the next arc, we're all gonna be saying "even the scrying bubbles arc was better than THIS! At least we laughed at how slow the non-plot moved on!"

Chew on that for a while.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    The problem is, while DD is not the worst webcomic ever (hint hint Billy the Heretic)
    What is...Oh...Oh!...OH!!!!...oh...Hahahaha...Stormfron t. Bunch of Silly Gooses.

Yeah, never got into Deegan but I'd say reading forum threads of Deegan and skimming the webcomic pages for context is about as funny as any legitimately funny webcomic.
    Deviantart
    Youtube
    Spoiler
    Show
    Every few years, the yank moviegoing public is greeted with a movie that instantly earns the desirable tag of "One of the Scariest Movies Ever Made!" This designation accustomed be reserved for less than the foremost special of terror tales — psychotic, The Exorcist, Alien — however currently, it is a catch phrase combat, Saw, The Descent, Paranormal Activity, Insidious, Sinister — the list goes on. (But no Jack and Jill? What the hell?) -A Wise Adbot

11. - Top - End - #731
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Perhaps if Mookie just wrote alternative text then he could sqeeze in any stupid joke he wanted without effecting the plot.

Like on DrMCNinja: There is a funny joke in the alternative text, yet it does't actualy effect the plot.

as funny as any legitimately funny webcomic.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheComic
    To Start, your going to have to scry yourself
    Yeah. Great Humor
    Last edited by TheArsenal; 2011-05-06 at 11:10 AM.

12. - Top - End - #732

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    This is exactly why most series w/ psychic main characters severely limit/clearly define what their powers can and can't accomplish.

Dead Zone limited it to touch. Medium was limited to dreaming about dead people. That's So Raven was limited by an inability to actually change the future that was seen.

If DD were still a pure comedy this would not be an issue. However, it became a dramedy around the Visions of Doom arc, which by definition requires drama.

Without inherent limits/drawbacks, the only way to preserve any semblance of drama is to saddle the main character with temporary or permanent idiocy for most arcs or come up with increasingly contrived ways to keep him/her from figuring out how to save the day in less than a minute.

Since Dominic's powers are only getting stronger with each arc, and Mookie won't let him be wrong about anything ever, we're left with increasingly contrived explanations for why he can't resolve the plot right away. For example, the current Big Bad can negate his powers/hide from his Sight at will -- except when it can't for the sake of the plot.

Of course drama died in DD a long time ago once it was clear the protagonists aren't allowed to suffer any kind of defeat ever.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Orc in the Playground

Arsenal, you misunderstood what I said. I'm not saying the comic itself is funny. I'm saying that things like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal View Post
    Yeah. Great Humor
    is funny.

It's like watching a troll argument, but done by a comic. And everyone keeps taking the bait. 5 times a week. Or being compelled to stare at a car crash, 5 times a week. Or a mandatory third example, 5 times a week.
    Deviantart
    Youtube
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #734
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

is funny.

It's like watching a troll argument, but done by a comic. And everyone keeps taking the bait. 5 times a week. Or being compelled to stare at a car crash, 5 times a week. Or a mandatory third example, 5 times a week.
    Yeah, Got me there. Its just funny, in a masochistic way.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, never got into Deegan but I'd say reading forum threads of Deegan and skimming the webcomic pages for context is about as funny as any legitimately funny webcomic.
    Many a Snarker has been born following this path.

The up side is that we're pretty cool. The down side is that you will end up trying to understand Dominic Deegan - and that way lies madness
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

16. - Top - End - #736
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Garland View Post
    Allow me to put a nice thought in your brains:

When we get to the next arc, we're all gonna be saying "even the scrying bubbles arc was better than THIS! At least we laughed at how slow the non-plot moved on!"

Chew on that for a while.
    We're still staring down the barrel of a Wedding arc. I'm convinced that THAT will be DDs true nadir; all this other stuff is just padding. Including, to ones infinite horror, the conclusion to the facebath-based drama that was so mercifully aborted earlier.

17. - Top - End - #737

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmyst View Post
    We're still staring down the barrel of a Wedding arc. I'm convinced that THAT will be DDs true nadir; all this other stuff is just padding. Including, to ones infinite horror, the conclusion to the facebath-based drama that was so mercifully aborted earlier.
    Actually, I wouldnt be surprised if the wedding was the grande finale. Draw it out for a solid month or so of updates as the ceremony starts up, runs through everything and whatever, then at the final panel you see dom and luna sharing their "you may now kiss the bride" kiss and that will be the end of it.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Actually, I wouldnt be surprised if the wedding was the grande finale. Draw it out for a solid month or so of updates as the ceremony starts up, runs through everything and whatever, then at the final panel you see dom and luna sharing their "you may now kiss the bride" kiss and that will be the end of it.
    More like a year.

When (if?) the Wedding Arc begins, it will be at least as long as Maltak and plagued with Schedule Slip. Why? Because it will be the very last thing Mookie does in regards to Dominic Deegan - his sole project for nearly a decade. The man can't even kill off Second Caste characters anymore; he's not going to let his entire cast go silent without a fight.

Personally, I'm beginning to suspect that these storylines are just padding to avoid writing the Wedding Arc. That said, he's going to start running the Wedding Arc when his own wedding is in the offing - pacing be damned.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

19. - Top - End - #739

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmyst View Post
    I see your hopeless wedding and raise you Mookie's attempt at portraying a bachelor party.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Firbolg in the Playground

I see your hopeless wedding and raise you Mookie's attempt at portraying a bachelor party.
    This I actually look forward to. Should be hilarious.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

21. - Top - End - #741
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    This I actually look forward to. Should be hilarious. Terrifying.

Fixed for you. It will feature Mookie trying to draw sexy women: there is nothing in DD more frightful.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

22. - Top - End - #742

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Fixed for you. It will feature Mookie trying to draw sexy women: there is nothing in DD more frightful.
    How can you be sure? I don't think Mookie has ever tried to draw sexy women. At least I'm pretty sure I've never seen one in the comic.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

23. - Top - End - #743
    Troll in the Playground

Arsenal, you misunderstood what I said. I'm not saying the comic itself is funny. I'm saying that things like this:

is funny.

Flying into rage and/or sinking into depression is not all people do around here.

These threads kind of go through phases, depending on the current arcs and what posters are most active at the time.
    We have rage guys, depression guys, literary analysis guys, and joke guys, basically.
    Literary analysis is currently absent. Jokes have been going strong lately, partly due to completely absurd plotlines, partly due to Fangly making a long-awaited comeback, but as Mookie pulled off the rare feat of stretching an utter nothing out to a less than nothing, rage came back swinging in the last days.
    (Depression is always present as a choral of groans in the background. It kind of lacks drive, so it only takes over the thread as a whole when the comic comes to a total standstill itself. See also: Maltak.)

As for me, I read Dominic Deegan pretty much for the reasons many people watch horrible reality TV or B-movies. Mockery is fun.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2011-05-06 at 02:33 PM.

24. - Top - End - #744

Has anyone notice that Mookie seems to've abandoned all pretense of story arcs? After the Blast Border arc we meandered through the Facebath II arc, then we meandered through the Lobster Dom arc before meandering through the Archmage arc and now we're currently meandering through this Find Celesto Talking About Quilt Cause Quilt is awesome PLEASE LOVE QUILT arc. I guess I can't fault him for tying things together but it feels more like....meandering, rather than progressing events. Especially the Facebath part because, y'now, Facebath.

25. - Top - End - #745

How can you be sure? I don't think Mookie has ever tried to draw sexy women. At least I'm pretty sure I've never seen one in the comic.
    Remember stripper girl that celestro almost killed? That Barret beat up when they were married? She was pretty hot.... for DD world girls. Some of those werewolf girls were fairly attractive as well.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    We have rage guys, depression guys, literary analysis guys, and joke guys, basically.
    It's more of a hierarchy really. Those who cannot analyse, joke. Those who can't joke either rage. Those who are also incapable of raging gripe. These aren't fixed tiers, folk move up and down according to skill, mood and current levels of inspiration (or vitriol), although some are more at home in certain areas.

Oh, and people who can't bring themselves to complain either usually wind up leaving. But most of those have already moved on... damn I envy them.

27. - Top - End - #747

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Penquin47 View Post
    Have we *ever* seen Luna wearing pants before? That's what's bugging me about this outfit.

Not that women shouldn't wear pants or anything, it's just weird to see them on Luna.
    Between that, the leather jacket and the 'falling through a mindscape while trying to save the kingdom' thing, I'm getting a distinct Doctor Who-style vibe from the comic as of late.

I have no specific dislike of Doctor Who, however I will be ever more disappointed if DD starts veering off on 1980's Sci Fi tangents as well as superhero shenanigans.

The problem is, while DD is not the worst webcomic ever (hint hint Billy the Heretic), most of the people here are former (and current!) fans of DD.
    I will see your 'Billy the Heretic', and raise you 'Hathor the Cow-Goddess'.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I have no specific dislike of Doctor Who, however I will be ever more disappointed if DD starts veering off on 1980's Sci Fi tangents as well as superhero shenanigans.
    Starts veering off?

WARNING: Link is hilarious but NSFW

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    Well, Dominic usually solves all problems by scrying or "just knowing".

I don't get it. How is Dominic Deegan even known this well? DId it use to be any good? There are so many descent comics out there that have nowhere near the exposure I see for DD yet every thread I see about the webcomic is filled to the brim with Anti-Fans and collective groans. Is this what the interwebs calls Narm? Is DD a comedy? Is it unintentionally funny? Is it a webcomic Plan 9 from Outer Space?
    DD started back in 2002 when the competition was much weaker. The first arc was funny, and the first few dramatic arcs, Visions of Doom and Storm of Souls were good and had some interesting takes on various tropes. Also there were a few very interesting characters, like Rillian, Jacob, Celesto and Siggy.
    So before the descent DD had quite a fan base. However, from 2005 on mookie started introducing elements he considered "cool" but were not. That summed up, and from 2007-2009 on DD managed something very special: Being very bad, but being entertaining at the same time. Like a trainwreck that keeps on crushing. And provided tons of bad art and jokes that very perfect sources for slaying and all kinds of snark. DD is (or was) the best bad webcomic ever. Just look at the Blast Boarder and Facebath II arc, the mood whiplashes and total randomness is unbelievable.

This I actually look forward to. Should be hilarious.
    So do I. I'm a masochist.

These threads kind of go through phases, depending on the current arcs and what posters are most active at the time.
    Uh, uh, what am I?
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

30. - Top - End - #750
    Troll in the Playground

I've read all but one Bob and George sub and fan comic from beginning to end, and the same with Psyguy's stuff. I can handle anything Mookie can come up with.