New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Vorpal! Overrated or over-powered?

Get alot of love for the vorpal from people. Don't consider it overpowered at all though.

Thoughts?
    You live in your world and I'll live in mine. Invade my world and I'll go medieval on your subconscious tookus.

Do not mistake my inaction for fear or doubt, if I desire you to hang yourself by your own rope why should I hasten the inevitable?

Do not underestimate me, for I have not underestimated you...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Vorpal! Overrated or over-powered?

Vorpal isn't anywhere near worth the price. It only works on a 20, so it's more rare than a critical hit, and it won't take out a large portion of very dangerous enemies.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Obscenely expensive, and quintiscentially unreliable. Textbook "slap this on an artifact sword to make it seem uber-nifty without actually breaking the game".

The minimum list price for a Vorpal weapon is 72,000 gp. If you can't get a hell of a lot more power for a fraction of the price, you're doing something wrong.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Artifact of older editions. Back with Called Shots being in the game it was more useful. But without them, decidedly less so.
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueKnightGuy

That's more or less what I was thinking. Sure, even after undead (except vampires), constructs, oozes, plants, incomporeal, some outsiders/aberations/monsters, there's still plenty of creatures out there to kill with it. You still only have 5% chance at working, assuming you get enough shots in to get up the odds of hitting, and have to confirm it.

Does it work against immunity to crits? If not, that makes it worse still.
    You live in your world and I'll live in mine. Invade my world and I'll go medieval on your subconscious tookus.

Do not mistake my inaction for fear or doubt, if I desire you to hang yourself by your own rope why should I hasten the inevitable?

Do not underestimate me, for I have not underestimated you...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Vorpal will only work 5% of the time, and that's assuming it's slapped on a compatible weapon and used against enemies that are vulnerable to crits at all. It is by no means overpowered, and even if you somehow have ridiculous luck and you're landing 20s at obscene rates, it's not difficult for GMs to counter this with oozes, constructs, undead, or any number of magic items or spells that can grant immunity to crits being relatively easy to get. The Greater Gem of Fortification from Draconomnomnomicon comes to mind.

For the same price you're better off with a Keen, Brilliant Energy weapon. And even then that's probably not the best bang you're gonna get with your buck. Put simply, Vorpal sucks. It might have been awesome in 3.0 (where it autokills when you land a crit, not just a 20) but in 3.5 (which is what i'm assuming you're playing) it's a newb-trap. Avoid these weapons like the plague, and if you get one from treasure, sell it at your earliest convenience.
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2013-06-01 at 02:22 AM.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Neither. I might possibly use it on a late game TWF build some time, but even then, not sure it is worth it.
    A much cheaper idea would be to load up on sleep arrows and hope they roll a 1 on their save. Same chance as you rolling a 20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

8. - Top - End - #8

Indeed. There are rare outliers I could see for Vorpal weapons (Halfling Machine-gun Master Thrower build with a boatload of Returning Vorpal Daggers) but on the whole? Underpowered for their price. If they were closer to a +3, then I could see it being worth it...for low-strength characters that rely more on the effects of their weapon than the actual damage dealt.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Let's do a little thought experiment, shall we? Let's assume we have a first level character, either Fighter or Barbarian, and give him a +1 Vorpal Longsword. Does it make him appreciably more powerful than just a +1 Longsword? He sometimes autokills enemies instead of possibly getting a critical, which at level one would probably kill most enemies anyway. Could he charge something really strong and kill it in one hit? No. No he could not. It would have to not have reach, need a head, he would have to get a 20, it would be a single target attack... under optimal conditions, it may let a low level melee character kill something he isn't supposed to. More likely, he'll get himself killed trying.

Now, give him the +1 longsword and the gold difference (70,000 gold) in whatever other gear that he's free to choose. Does this make him appreciably stronger? Well, +4 STR, CON, AC, and to all saves leaves him 6,000 left, which makes him much stronger than he was before.

Now, this is playing with the numbers a bit. A character who can actually afford a Vorpal blade within WBL isn't going to benefit as much from an extra 70,000, as they are already expected to have many of the things the level 1 character would probably spend his money on. But, by this point, there are more defenses against it. Vorpal is just as unreliable as it is expensive, there are plenty of other things you could be spending money on to actually improve your chances of making it out of a fight alive.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Nitpick: since vorpal doesn't trigger unless you confirm the crit, it's only a 4.75% chance to activate if you could hit the target with anything but a natural 1. In the case of a low-op figther or a particularly tanky enemy, it only gets worse.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

11. - Top - End - #11

MindFlayer

Better lucky than good pairs nicely with a vorpal weapon, one fell into my lap in a campaign once, and having a natural 1 turn into a natural 20 for decapitation is pretty nice, even if it's only once a day.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Nitpick: since vorpal doesn't trigger unless you confirm the crit, it's only a 4.75% chance to activate if you could hit the target with anything but a natural 1. In the case of a low-op figther or a particularly tanky enemy, it only gets worse.
    I don't think this seems like a nitpick at all. If your character is hitting on everything but a natural one, then the fighter is probably doing way more damage on average by using power attack. While the fighter's super big +20 hit is probably going to confirm every time, his final +6 iterative is much less likely to do so. Also, the best way to have a high chance of vorpalling (totally a word) is by using two vorpal weapons with two weapon fighting. This has the combined effect of reducing your average damage from the first point, and further lowering your chance to confirm on the second.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think the biggest problem with the vorpal weapon is that you are one shotting a lot of things anyways. If it was a health-bloat system like 4E it would be nice because it would significantly up your average damage. In 3.5 everything dies in 1-3 hits anyways, so it hardly matters if you have a 1/20 chance for instant death.

Even more so is the existence of Save or Die spells, which have a much better than 1/20 chance of success and do the same thing better. In the Wu Jen's case, they have a spell that literally does the same thing with a better success chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

Eek, one vorpal weapon is expensive enough, but if one were just trying to fool around, I can actually see two weapon bloodstorm blade vorpal throwing build actually being fun.
    Last edited by Carth; 2013-06-01 at 03:21 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Considering the number of 20s rolled in my games, I would say it is very good indeed, if my players ever get a vorpal weapon.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    I don't think this seems like a nitpick at all. If your character is hitting on everything but a natural one, then the fighter is probably doing way more damage on average by using power attack. While the fighter's super big +20 hit is probably going to confirm every time, his final +6 iterative is much less likely to do so. Also, the best way to have a high chance of vorpalling (totally a word) is by using two vorpal weapons with two weapon fighting. This has the combined effect of reducing your average damage from the first point, and further lowering your chance to confirm on the second.
    What this amounts to, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that vorpal is most likely to actually trigger when you least need it to remain a viable threat.

Unless you're built around the idea of making vorpal effective (by optimizing crit' confirmation, and finding ways to force a natural 20 <better lucky than good>) it's just not.

In any case, my point was that, in isolation, it's actually -less- than a 5% chance of triggering on any individual attack.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Unless you're built around the idea of making vorpal effective (by optimizing crit' confirmation, and finding ways to force a natural 20 <better lucky than good>) it's just not.
    even if your crit range is 8-20 (which believe me is not that hard) you still need to roll a 20 to trigger a Vorpal decapitation. Really the best way to try and trigger Vorpal is to make as many attacks as you can per round, each of which has that 5% chance of rolling that sweet sweet Nat 20 nectar. This can be done by TWFing and getting a Pounce effect from Lion Totem Barbarian dip or Pouncing Charge maneuver from Tome of Weeaboo Fightan Magic.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ing View Post
    even if your crit range is 8-20 (which believe me is not that hard) you still need to roll a 20 to trigger a Vorpal decapitation. Really the best way to try and trigger Vorpal is to make as many attacks as you can per round, each of which has that 5% chance of rolling that sweet sweet Nat 20 nectar. This can be done by TWFing and getting a Pounce effect from Lion Totem Barbarian dip or Pouncing Charge maneuver from Tome of Weeaboo Fightan Magic.
    I sad crit'-confirmation; not crit'-range or general crit'-fishing (both range and confirmation)

E.G. Power critical (+4 to confirmation rolls) helps a vorpal build while imp' critical (double threat range) does not.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Devil

It's a lovely upgrade but it's randomness is a bit of a killer, removing the randomness from the game is something I consider to be the core of min-maxing, and having an ability trigger on 1/2 hits is not a good thing, especially.

However, for loot, it's a very nice thing, but not something I'd especially go out of my way to purchase.

20. - Top - End - #20

As has been said. It's a Trap!

But when it works on the right enemy, it's a plot breaker.
    "Oh, I'm sorry Bob, were you planning on running away last Tuesday."
    *Finishes mounting stuff head on the mantle piece*
    "There, just perfect. It's always nice when things go well."
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ing View Post
    Especially if you mix in some Thri-Kreen and Totemist/PsyWar natural weapon spam. Vorpal ALL the things!

Edit: Hmm, might be a little annoying to get slashing type weapons, I guess. Probably more shenanigans needed there.
    Last edited by TuggyNE; 2013-06-01 at 06:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Devil

Insectile Thri-Keen Totemist Kensai. Vorpal Keen Returning Throwing Fists (finding a way to count Fists as Slashing)?

23. - Top - End - #23

You'd be looking for the Versatile Unarmed Strike, PhB II, p.85. Technically it's for an unarmed strike, but...if you're going for cheese anyhow, why not go for the gouda?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Wouldn't an insectile thri-keen totemist's relevant attacks be claws anyway, not fists? Those are already slashing.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

25. - Top - End - #25

RogueGuy

Vaporal is nasty in the hands of any cleric with 5th level spells.

Surge of fortune allows you to treat a roll as a nat 20.

You can spend a 5th level slot to trigger vaporal.

It gets silly. I had an assassin in a game with a vaporal arrow (the slashing kind) bought at 1 50th the price (buying just one) and a scroll of surge of fortune.

The DM banned that spell and forbid the purchase of magic arrow in units of less than 50.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Posting in a Vorpal thread to mention Surge of Fortune. It's one of the more reliable ways I know to get a kill.

EDIT: Swordsage'd...

The DM banned that spell
    I'd probably just ban Vorpal instead, if it's this combo that's the worry.
    Last edited by Ernir; 2013-06-01 at 08:28 AM.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Vorpal is not something you buy, it's just something you hope to get on your weapon. It's so terrible because it works so rarely, but when it does work, it's the best thing ever.

E.G.
    DM: The cleric walks up into melee distance to do a finger of death (I don't know why), after seeing you get launched via telekenesis into his friend. Make an AOO.

Player: I roll a... NATURAL 20.

DM: ... *rolls save* He's dead...

Those are the best moments at the table.
    Last edited by Squirrel_Dude; 2013-06-01 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Editing

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Two sessions ago Vorpal killed a very very nasty deep dragon we encountered, in the first round, first attack of the 3rd pc in the init order.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

I always thought the Sharpness Property was way better and should have been ported over into 3rd and not Vorpal.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Nagukuk View Post
    Two sessions ago Vorpal killed a very very nasty deep dragon we encountered, in the first round, first attack of the 3rd pc in the init order.
    That doesn't make it good though. There are opportunity costs that must be considered here. You could be using another weapon that does its damage more consistently, or you could be using other items that do more. Basically, at any level where you can afford a vorpal sword, there's probably a build that could kill that dragon at the same rate of efficiency or higher. You're resting all of the hopes for your build on arbitrary random chance, and that's not something that I consider overpowered.