New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: rant: i don't understand tiers

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmarenny View Post
    When the OP specifies "I am playing a Monk, for whatever reason I am tied to this class and do not want advice to change classes" and you either don't read the whole OP or ignore the content and then post "play a swordsage" anyway that is rude. Yes.
    And how often does that happen?
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Uh, pretty frequently, actually.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've seen it quite a few times myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Heroes of Horror is only 1.8 pounds. By comparison, the DMG is a hefty 2.6 pounds, making it by far the more powerful book.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    And how often does that happen?
    Ok look. Stop. I added that clarification because I didn't want someone to respond with what I put. I didn't say it was a huge problem. I clarified my position. So lets back off ok?
    Last edited by Nightmarenny; 2011-06-19 at 07:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    Pretty much this, yes. Some people can be pretty rude when it comes to Monks.

Not that you should play a Monk if your character concept is "unarmed fighter". But if you really want to play the Monk class, go ahead...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Banned

When the OP specifies "I am playing a Monk, for whatever reason I am tied to this class and do not want advice to change classes" and you either don't read the whole OP or ignore the content and then post "play a swordsage" anyway that is rude. Yes.
    I completely disagree with you.

This is a discussion forum. People give their opinions and talk and discuss things. If the OP doesn't want my advice, he's free to ignore it, but that doesn't mean he gets to stop me from commenting so long as I do so politely. No one "owns" threads on this forum, saving perhaps Rich himself. Being OP does not give you complete control over what people say in the thread.

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by Veyr View Post
    I completely disagree with you.

This is a discussion forum. People give their opinions and talk and discuss things. If the OP doesn't want my advice, he's free to ignore it, but that doesn't mean he gets to stop me from commenting so long as I do so politely. No one "owns" threads on this forum, saving perhaps Rich himself. Being OP does not give you complete control over what people say in the thread.
    I'm not saying you should stop. It is Rude though. It is basically going off-topic.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Banned

I'm not saying you should stop. It is Rude though. It is basically going off-topic.
    How meta...

9. - Top - End - #129
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hold on there, Nightmarenny. When the OP is "please help me optimize this Monk", there will be handful of answers to the tune of "Monks can only go so far, so if you're looking for optimization you should really try a Swordsage".

But when the OP specifically states that he doesn't want to change class? No. The number of Swordsage people drops of significantly, to the point of stopping.
    Heroes of Horror is only 1.8 pounds. By comparison, the DMG is a hefty 2.6 pounds, making it by far the more powerful book.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Box Socks View Post
    Hold on there, Nightmarenny. When the OP is "please help me optimize this Monk", there will be handful of answers to the tune of "Monks can only go so far, so if you're looking for optimization you should really try a Swordsage".

But when the OP specifically states that he doesn't want to change class? No. The number of Swordsage people drops of significantly, to the point of stopping.
    Not always, unfortunately.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

This is when the people start mentioning Tashalatora.
    My Steam profile

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Pretty much this, yes. Some people can be pretty rude when it comes to Monks.

Not that you should play a Monk if your character concept is "unarmed fighter". But if you really want to play the Monk class, go ahead...
    Yea that is why they call it Monkday around here.

By the way we are not saying that you don't have an objective point (that SS are better than monks at being monks). We are saying that people do go around saying don't play a monk because the tier system says it is a lower tier class and lower tier classes should not be played and yet the tier system does not actually say that.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Banned

I agree with Swiftmongoose: I can't recall that happening often. It is not assumed when someone says "I want to play a monk!" that they strictly mean Monk, the class, especially since quite a few other classes (Cleric, Psychic Warrior, and Swordsage at the least) can do the concept of "mystic martial artist" far better than the Monk can.

When people do specify that they literally mean the Monk, class, and that they know what they're doing re: Monks being terrible, I don't think you'd see nearly as many comments about the Swordsage. Some might question why that decision was made, but let's be frank: it is a fairly mind-boggling decision, and it may be worthwhile to make sure that the OP does not have any misconceptions about what they're getting into.

14. - Top - End - #134

I don't recall contradicting this.

I agree with Swiftmongoose: I can't recall that happening often. It is not assumed when someone says "I want to play a monk!" that they strictly mean Monk, the class, especially since quite a few other classes (Cleric, Psychic Warrior, and Swordsage at the least) can do the concept of "mystic martial artist" far better than the Monk can.

When people do specify that they literally mean the Monk, class, and that they know what they're doing re: Monks being terrible, I don't think you'd see nearly as many comments about the Swordsage. Some might question why that decision was made, but let's be frank: it is a fairly mind-boggling decision, and it may be worthwhile to make sure that the OP does not have any misconceptions about what they're getting into.
    nor this
    Last edited by Nightmarenny; 2011-06-19 at 07:31 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Are there any T5 or 6 classes that are fun, though? Do any of them really do anything that other classes can't, and that's worth doing?
    Well, there was that one CWar samurai who was fairly okay at what he does... but his one trick really isn't all that universally applicable, and is easily shut down. But against those not immune to his trick, he was an okay lockdown build.

It wouldn't be really fun to play in a game, though. It's either 'I win' or 'I lose', with zero options between them, depending on if they are not immune, or are immune, to his one trick.

On the Great Monk Debate, I fail to see why anyone would willingly play Monk over Swordage (other than as a two-level dip onto something greater), considering Swordsage has both better mechanics AND better roleplay flavor...

I mean, when looking at Kung Fu movies, they nearly always used really cool weapons, which monks can't really do. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon had the Green Destiny Blade, for example. A monk would not only drop his damage dramatically when using it, but would also incur an additional -4 nonproficency penalty when trying to swing the dang thing. That's not Kung Fu, that's Suck.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2011-06-19 at 07:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

16. - Top - End - #136
    Banned

I don't recall contradicting this.

nor this
    It was more a continuation to Swiftmongoose's original response to your post: sure, if someone specifically says "look, I know how terrible Monks are, and I know there are better options, but for whatever reason I want to play a Monk 20", it might be rude to completely ignore that and talk about another class, but how often does that happen? And when it does, how often do people "rudely" (a concept I am still dubious of) ignore that?
    Last edited by Veyr; 2011-06-19 at 07:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Well, there was that one CWar samurai who was fairly okay at what he does... but his one trick really isn't all that universally applicable, and is easily shut down. But against those not immune to his trick, he was an okay lockdown build.
    Emphasis on trick - that's what makes him Tier 5. He has one trick - intimidating people.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    I've seen it quite a few times myself.
    I'm going to agree here - it does happen pretty frequently.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Banned

Could someone link to several examples of this?

Yes, people say "I want to play a monk!" and people say "A Swordsage would be much better," but how often do people say "I know everything that's wrong with a Monk, but want to play one anyway" and people ignore that? Does anyone have an example? Or, ya know, several, since this is apparently "frequent"?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Whether you think it occurs often or not it needs to be reaffirmed that the tier system does not condone that behavior nor is it at fault for that issue. All it does do is give people a convenient way of describing what a lot of people had been saying for years before its inception, that all classes were not equal, and this gives a convenient way of describing the various issues for each class.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It usually seems to be a brief interlude that passes quickly after clarification is provided if clarification wasn't provided in the first place and really only derails the thread if people decide to make an argument out of it in the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Could someone link to several examples of this?

Yes, people say "I want to play a monk!" and people say "A Swordsage would be much better," but how often do people say "I know everything that's wrong with a Monk, but want to play one anyway" and people ignore that? Does anyone have an example? Or, ya know, several, since this is apparently "frequent"?
    considering how many monk threads there are and how painful they are to read generally I don't think we really want to subject people to that. Besides it is not really that important the issue of people trying to force their class choices on others is a personal issue and not an issue with the tier system despite what people might think.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    Whether you think it occurs often or not it needs to be reaffirmed that the tier system does not condone that behavior nor is it at fault for that issue. All it does do is give people a convenient way of describing what a lot of people had been saying for years before its inception, that all classes were not equal, and this gives a convenient way of describing the various issues for each class.
    ...and hence my multiple assertions that I only have a problem with the system when people misuse it.

Guns don't kill people and all that.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Emphasis on trick - that's what makes him Tier 5. He has one trick - intimidating people.
    Precisely. He's a one-trick pony. That's really the quintessential definition of the tier classes, and WHY the CW Samurai is a T6 class...

Even with ultimate optimization techniques, the paragon and highest the class can go is... a one-trick pony.

Consider that a Fighter can do even better with an ACF at level 9, and also be able to actually do damage in combat. That's why the Fighter is Tier 5 and the CW Samurai is Tier 6. Because the Fighter has more and more flexible options, and can do the same thing, with fewer resources.

Compare that with the Tier 4 Dread Necromancer, who basically (with a single spell he can get from his class ability) does the same thing, without using an action (fear aura + Aura of Dread spell + Fell Frighten to make all opponents within 30' Panicked), and is ALSO has very interesting class abilities, with a whole horde of undead minions (or a few, really NASTY ones), AND is able to cast 9th level spells.

The CW Samurai requires maximum optimization to do the same thing that a Fighter can get with an ACF to do the same thing the Dread Necromancer does for breathing (or not breathing, as the case might be).

That's why someone came up with the Tier Lists.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2011-06-19 at 07:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    It usually seems to be a brief interlude that passes quickly after clarification is provided if clarification wasn't provided in the first place and really only derails the thread if people decide to make an argument out of it in the thread.
    This. Coidzor has the right of it.

Veyr: I know it happens, I've done it myself. I don't do it out of spite, I do it because it is genuinely good advice. People throw the "I play to have fun" card in my face, and I usually play the "yes, but now you can have fun and be useful" card.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...and hence my multiple assertions that I only have a problem with the system when people misuse it.

Guns don't kill people and all that.
    Well you may not blame it but others do mostly since they don't understand what the tier system is all about.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Samurai is Tier 6?

Oh wow, and I only looked at the list ten minutes before I posted that, too...

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey McBannert View Post
    This. Coidzor has the right of it.

Veyr: I know it happens, I've done it myself. I don't do it out of spite, I do it because it is genuinely good advice. People throw the "I play to have fun" card in my face, and I usually play the "yes, but now you can have fun and be useful" card.
    Oh yeah, ToB is fun. Take fighter and warblade: is it more fun to say "I use X maneuver, and I can do Y because I'm in Z stance", or say "I trip/hit/bull rush it again"?

@Yuki: OA samurai is tier 5, CW samurai is tier 6.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-06-19 at 07:45 PM.
    My Steam profile

29. - Top - End - #149
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Precisely. He's a one-trick pony. That's really the quintessential definition of the tier classes, and WHY the CW Samurai is a T6 class...

Even with ultimate optimization techniques, the paragon and highest the class can go is... a one-trick pony.

Consider that a Fighter can do even better with an ACF at level 9, and also be able to actually do damage in combat. That's why the Fighter is Tier 5 and the CW Samurai is Tier 6. Because the Fighter has more and more flexible options, and can do the same thing, with fewer resources.

Compare that with the Tier 4 Dread Necromancer, who basically (with a single spell he can get from his class ability) does the same thing, without using an action (fear aura + Aura of Dread spell + Fell Frighten to make all opponents within 30' Panicked), and is ALSO has very interesting class abilities, with a whole horde of undead minions (or a few, really NASTY ones), AND is able to cast 9th level spells.

The CW Samurai requires maximum optimization to do the same thing that a Fighter can get with an ACF to do the same thing the Dread Necromancer does for breathing (or not breathing, as the case might be).

That's why someone came up with the Tier Lists.
    Fine post. But Dread Necro is most assuredly Tier 3. Basically any full caster is (ok, Warmage and Healer aren't but they're less of full casters and more of "I have 9 levels worth of X that have scaling numbers.")
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Fine post. But Dread Necro is most assuredly Tier 3. Basically any full caster is (ok, Warmage and Healer aren't but they're less of full casters and more of "I have 9 levels worth of X that have scaling numbers.")
    Dread Necro is generally seen as Tier 4 (for the same reason that Warmage is) rather than Tier 3, but I personally agree with you that they should be seen as Tier 3.
    Spoiler
    Show