New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Falcon View Post
    Another issue is that it fails to be able to do what it says in the quote: Attach grafts to ludicrous places, like jaws to your torso or a fire-breathing head to your arm.
    That's actually a very good point. The rules are set up to handle monsters and characters with lots of natural attacks, so there's really no reason not to allow people to have claws and teeth attached to places like their legs or torso. While I'll be keeping the body slots and the basic thematic ideas for some of them (such as sensory and telepathy abilities for your Eyes and Head) I'll be a little more generous with the body slots allowed for things like natural weapons.

Thanks for pointing that out!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

Contributing actively to this reserve of awesomeness is enough of a reward in and of itself.

Also, I think you might have forgotten a scent graft, which would be thematically appropriate.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Question: Once grafts are attached, can they be removed (say, for better/higher level grafts later on down the line)?
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2011-07-01 at 10:40 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

That info can be found on the Handicap grafts spoiler.

But I think it should be in a more readily seen portion of the rules.

Anyway, pretty cool.

As for the "can't really affix everything to everything" comment earlier, how about a feat that allows you to graft anything to a body slot of choice (chosen as of the time of taking the feat)? Something like...

Mad Surgeon
    You defy the preconceived notions of form and function, or form anyway, stuff still retains its function.
    Prerequisite: Must be able to attach 2nd level grafts.
    Benefit: Chose one body slot from Arms, Body, Eyes, Hands, Head, Legs, Shoulders, Throat, Torso or Waist. You may now attach grafts to that body slot regardless of which slot the graft would normally belong to.
    Special: You may take this feat more than once, choosing a new body slot every time you do so.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Mad Surgeon
    You defy the preconceived notions of form and function, or form anyway, stuff still retains its function.
    Prerequisite: Must be able to attach 2nd level grafts.
    Benefit: Chose one body slot from Arms, Body, Eyes, Hands, Head, Legs, Shoulders, Throat, Torso or Waist. You may now attach grafts to that body slot regardless of which slot the graft would normally belong to.
    Special: You may take this feat more than once, choosing a new body slot every time you do so.
    That's a good idea, and doesn't end up with characters running around with seven different claw attacks (or whatever), which was the main worry for me. Implementing immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Volt
    Question: Once grafts are attached, can they be removed (say, for better/higher level grafts later on down the line)?
    Yes they can, I'll put in a line to explain it more clearly in the original section. I didn't want to get bogged down in too much detail in the class feature section, because that's very intimidating to read. But that's a pretty key element.
    Last edited by Kellus; 2011-07-01 at 12:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

First of all, this class is wonderful.

An NPC Xenoalchemist currently can attach grafts to a PC, and will probably charge them for it. It would be useful to have a base price for a graft. Possibly something like graft level * Xenoalchemist level * some constant?

Also, for the bonemail graft, neither of the example monsters meet the monster requirements.
    Last edited by jvluso; 2011-07-01 at 12:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Default "Give Me Your FACE!... I need it to sneak into your base..."

It's also worth mentioning here that a xenoalchemist can always choose to replace a graft with a completely mundane body part, essentially removing the bonus or penalty. This clears the body slot (as well as removing the count against your graft limit). A mundane graft is treated as 0th level.
    If I am reading this right, you can steal people's appearances at 1st level if you have a bit of free time and enough people that look like them (probably taking the face directly from their corpse). Not sure if that is a problem or not. The "one successful part take ruins the rest of the corpse" and some RAI keeps it from being easier than that. Perhaps allow such "magic plastic surgery" without any particular requirements on the donors at higher levels? Maybe as without donors at all?
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2011-07-01 at 12:50 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by jvluso View Post
    First of all, this class is wonderful.

An NPC Xenoalchemist currently can attach grafts to a PC, and will probably charge them for it. It would be useful to have a base price for a graft. Possibly something like graft level * Xenoalchemist level * some constant?

Also, for the bonemail graft, neither of the example monsters meet the monster requirements.
    Fixed, copypaste error. Thanks.

As for the pricing, definitely not. No more so than spells or maneuvers have prices. If you want to hire an NPC xenoalchemist that's fine, but you'll probably be supplying the monster parts to attach. Add in the rules that already exist for hiring NPCs, and you should be fine. Again, I'm not going to get bogged down in rules that don't add anything. I'm perfectly alright with you having a cohort xenoalchemist or something following you around and grafting if you're comfortable with the level penalty on the grafts because of that.

If I am reading this right, you can steal people's appearances at 1st level if you have a bit of free time and enough people that look like them (probably taking the face directly from their corpse). Not sure if that is a problem or not. The "one successful part take ruins the rest of the corpse" and some RAI keeps it from being easier than that. Perhaps allow such "magic plastic surgery" without any particular requirements on the donors at higher levels? Maybe as without donors at all?
    Actually, at one point I was totally thinking that you should be able to get a Disguise bonus based on taking another person's face or something. I'll put something in about in the Extra Rules section.

As for magic plastic surgery, I'm not sure what you mean. If you're talking about things like grafts that flat up improve your Cha score, the answer's probably "no chance".

EDIT: Right, we've now got some basic rules for using grafts to disguise yourself as someone else. Thanks!
    Last edited by Kellus; 2011-07-01 at 01:06 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kellus View Post
    As for magic plastic surgery, I'm not sure what you mean.
    TVTropes warning!
    Magic Plastic Surgery
    In other words, Movie quality, rather than Real Life quality.
    If you're talking about things like grafts that flat up improve your Cha score, the answer's probably "no chance".
    Not what I meant, and I completely agree with you.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking of copy paste errors... Is The webspinning thingy supposed to give blindsense? On par with that gained from the same level graft obtained from sharks, bats or sharkbats, but that doesn't grant webspinning?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Speaking of copy paste errors... Is The webspinning thingy supposed to give blindsense? On par with that gained from the same level graft obtained from sharks, bats or sharkbats, but that doesn't grant webspinning?
    I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Fixed, thanks!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

If you have the Leg's Legion graft do you gain the increased stability of a creature with more than two legs? Howabout the increased carrying capacity?

At 15th level, when you get the Conjoined Grafts ability, can you attach two of the same graft to the same body slot? For example, can you attach the Extra Limb graft twice?
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

13. - Top - End - #73

Wow, this is absolutely amazing. The detail in this is phenomenal, and I'm definitely going to find a way to fit a Xenoalchemist villain into my next campaign.

On the topic of copy paste errors, the Whirlwind Infusion graft lists example monsters "Porpoise, Whale" which I assume is totally false. I don't really picture Porpoises and Whales spinning around to control elemental wind.

EDIT: Can you use other people's body parts for utility, rather than disguise? Say, if you can fly, why not replace your useless feet with another two hands?
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2011-07-01 at 03:08 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

Many thanks to Qwernt for my amazing mind flayer avatar!

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndworm View Post
    If you have the Leg's Legion graft do you gain the increased stability of a creature with more than two legs? Howabout the increased carrying capacity?
    The only benefit that the Legs Legion graft grants is a climb speed, but I could totally see a lower level graft that grants stability. That seems appropriate for a 1st level graft, which is supposed to grant a fairly mundane benefit, the equivalent of which could easily be replicated with normal items. There's already a 1st level graft for carrying capacity, Hauling Back.

At 15th level, when you get the Conjoined Grafts ability, can you attach two of the same graft to the same body slot? For example, can you attach the Extra Limb graft twice?
    Yes, you can use Conjoined Graft to attach multiple versions of the same graft to one body slot, much like you can have multiple tentacle grafts at any point because they can fill any slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicyop
    Wow, this is absolutely amazing. The detail in this is phenomenal, and I'm definitely going to find a way to fit a Xenoalchemist villain into my next campaign.
    Glad you like it. Please, let me know how it goes!

On the topic of copy paste errors, the Whirlwind Infusion graft lists example monsters "Porpoise, Whale" which I assume is totally false. I don't really picture Porpoises and Whales spinning around to control elemental wind.
    Good catch, fixed. I wrote up the crunch for almost every graft in about six hours straight after filling in the rest of the system around it, so I didn't get as much proofreading there as for the rest of the stuff like the classes.

EDIT: Can you use other people's body parts for utility, rather than disguise? Say, if you can fly, why not replace your useless feet with another two hands?
    That's the sort of thing that would be covered under the Mad Surgeon feat that Draken proposed. If you want to get really weird with graft locations you can take Mad Surgeon (Legs) and put an Extra Arm graft there. But normally mundane body parts only replace corresponding body slots, so a face can only be attached onto someone's face. I get that it might be neat in a theoretical sense to attach mouths to peoples' eye sockets and stuff like that, but it doesn't really add anything to the game. I prefer to leave things more openended so that people can make up fluff about how exactly their grafts look and work flavour-wise.

15. - Top - End - #75

At various peoples' requests, there are now 1st level grafts for scent and for stability/dwarven movement.

16. - Top - End - #76

Chimera

I... Okay I'm impressed by the first post and actually made speechless by the third post and after. Wow. Usually this kind of class isn't my type but now I'm tempted to play as one. Still have to finished the rest first.

I need to find another homebrew-friendly DM...

EDIT: Curious thought: If someone sold grafts, or grafting service, how would you price it?
    Last edited by Salbazier; 2011-07-02 at 06:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharkash View Post
    Let us be enlightened by the wisdom of urban dictionary:
    2. opinion
    immunity to being told your wrong

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Salbazier View Post
    EDIT: Curious thought: If someone sold grafts, or grafting service, how would you price it?
    Good question. The answer is that I wouldn't. One of the entire points of this is to provide magic item equivalents that aren't part of the WBL system. If you have an NPC xenoalchemist you can contract them the same way that you would hire an NPC of any other class, but you would be providing the monstrous material yourself.

18. - Top - End - #78

Daemon

If you need a guideline for the costs on hiring the xenoalchemist for the actual grafting service of monster chunks you have on hand, you could use the guidelines for hiring spellcasters (treating the graft as analogous to a spell of the level that a wizard would learn at the level that rank of grafts becomes available).

19. - Top - End - #79
    Firbolg in the Playground

Holy crap. Kellus, this looks great! I have the urge to have a fleshwarper as a villan for my next game.

20. - Top - End - #80

Chimera

Good question. The answer is that I wouldn't. One of the entire points of this is to provide magic item equivalents that aren't part of the WBL system. If you have an NPC xenoalchemist you can contract them the same way that you would hire an NPC of any other class, but you would be providing the monstrous material yourself.
    I see.

Another question. Devil Eye doesn't have range listed. Does this means the range is exactly like what the donating devil have, or it is unlimited (I assume its the former but you know what unexplicit ruletext can do sometimes)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharkash View Post
    Let us be enlightened by the wisdom of urban dictionary:
    2. opinion
    immunity to being told your wrong

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Salbazier View Post
    I see.

Another question. Devil Eye doesn't have range listed. Does this means the range is exactly like what the donating devil have, or it is unlimited (I assume its the former but you know what unexplicit ruletext can do sometimes)
    Specifically the ability that graft gives you is the following special ability that all devils possess because of being devils.

Quote Originally Posted by srd
    See in Darkness (Su): Some devils can see perfectly in darkness of any kind, even that created by a deeper darkness spell.
    So the answer is that there is no limit to the vision aside from whatever vision you normally have.

22. - Top - End - #82

Awesome class Kellus!

The only nitpick I have with this is that there seems to be a lot of attack and utility grafts but not much in terms of those that aid in defense. On average, there seems to be only one graft per level that helps in keeping you alive longer.

23. - Top - End - #83

I return bearing the Crown of Homebrewing, gifted to me by the Lords of Xagyg, after the slaughter of a thousand virgin princess'. To you I give it, Kellus! However, the Lords have demanded from you that you create an adaptation of this most Glorious of Homebrews; that you might create a Pathfinder Adaptation, enabling it's use in campaigns not of the 3.5 Era.What can I say? I'm awesome at making cool re-entrances. And I'm a fan boy.
    ~ Thanks to Crimmy for Richardtar ~

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Suggested additional graft: A graft that requires a skulking cyst or other being that can give necrotic cysts as a supernatural or spell-like ability. Gives a spell-like ability a certain number of times a day that duplicates the necrotic cyst spell.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by AvalonŽ View Post
    Awesome class Kellus!

The only nitpick I have with this is that there seems to be a lot of attack and utility grafts but not much in terms of those that aid in defense. On average, there seems to be only one graft per level that helps in keeping you alive longer.
    This is actually an excellent point. The majority of the grafts replicate monster abilities, which are usually offensive in nature (since most monsters are all offense all the time). The rest of them are mostly natural attacks, which are also offensive. I'll work up a few new grafts for each level to give you a bit more in the way of defense.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

I finally got around to reading through this amazing piece of work. If you don't mind... I'd like to make a bloodline for it.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    I finally got around to reading through this amazing piece of work. If you don't mind... I'd like to make a bloodline for it.
    Please, be my guest. I'd love to see what you can come up with.

As long as it has a funny quote at the top, of course.

28. - Top - End - #88

That sounds both awesome and terrifying at the same time.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

How is "guy who harvests monster limbs and sticks them to people" something that can be a bloodline?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by master256 View Post
    How is "guy who harvests monster limbs and sticks them to people" something that can be a bloodline?
    You'd be surprised. I'm already working on it.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature