New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XVIII

Since we've got a duplicate number I'll do both As 216 together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dralnu View Post
    Q 216

If a PC is prone and within an enemy's threatened square, is there any normal action that PC can do (barring class abilities, feats, etc.) to stand up without provoking an attack of opportunity? It looks like you can't even crawl out of range and stand up...
    There's an intermediate position: kneeling/sitting, which has combat modifiers exactly halfway between prone and standing. The RAW does not stipulate any attacks of opportunity to move between prone and kneeling as a move action, or between kneeling and standing as a move action. (The online article "Rules of the Game: All About Movement (Part Two)" goes further and states that such movement doesn't provoke AoOs. I can't at the moment find any RAW confirmation for this, but I seem to recall a Dragon or Dungeon adventure which had archers firing from behind a low wall, where standing from kneeling didn't provoke.) Assuming your DM agrees (or if you can find the confirmation that escapes me at the moment) taking two move actions to move from prone to kneeling, and then from kneeling to standing, would get you there slowly and cautiously without provoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Q 216: Is there any cleric domain (in WOTC material, not third-party) that grants the spell Lightning Bolt?
    Not directly, from my compilation of 130+ domains. However, the Spell domain offers Greater Anyspell as its 6th level spell, and this can be used to prepare Lightning Bolt.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Pixie in the Playground

Do feats exist that allow creatures to use their spell-like abilities more times during the same day?

Example: I want to build a Tiefling monk. Is there ANY feat that would allow him to activate his racial ability to create darkness more times per day? This is what I am searching for hardest! An extra use of a racial abilty to create Darkness.

Example: I want to build a Aasimar Cleric. Is there feat to let him use his "Daylight" spell-like ability more times per day?

Searching for these has me curious: Is there ANY feat that allows a character to use their racial spell-like abilities additional times per day?

3. - Top - End - #543
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q 220
    Quote Originally Posted by Commoner_Bane View Post
    Do feats exist that allow creatures to use their spell-like abilities more times during the same day?

Example: I want to build a Tiefling monk. Is there ANY feat that would allow him to activate his racial ability to create darkness more times per day? This is what I am searching for hardest! An extra use of a racial abilty to create Darkness.

Example: I want to build a Aasimar Cleric. Is there feat to let him use his "Daylight" spell-like ability more times per day?

Searching for these has me curious: Is there ANY feat that allows a character to use their racial spell-like abilities additional times per day?
    Please number your questions.

A 220
    There is a regional feat called Magic in the Blood (PGtF), and planetouched races from Calimshan, Mulhorand, or Unther are candidates. You must take it at 1st level. It changes all of your 1/day racial SLA's into 3/day.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q 221

If a level 20 Wizard sees a level 7 Cleric cast Consumptive Field (CF), can the Wizard use Replicate Casting to copy CF with his own caster level (20) and gain a higher caster level bonus? (+10 CL in this case)

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 222

Is there a way to get a composite bow that adjusts to the wielder's str mod?

The main incentive is for a Cleric archer getting the most out of Divine Power without having to keep 2 bows on hand?

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

A 222 Partial

A few possible solutions:

The Bow of the Wintermoon from MIC is a relic that adjust to its wielder's strength score. You don't even have to activate its relic powers for this.

Hank's Energy Bow from the Animated Series Handbook does this as well.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2011-08-13 at 04:47 PM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 221 Possibly.

The Cleric 7 would have already caused the deaths of all applicable creatures in their spell area, the round before the Wizard casts Replicate Casting. The Wizard 20 could duplicate Consumptive Field, but the increase in caster level would be limited by the number of creatures the Wizard killed with this duplicated spell. (It's useful to note that most plants are treated as living objects in D&D, and normal insects are similarly disregarded unless in a swarm, which is treated as a single creature.)

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Q223: Does Blindsense (or Blindsight) detect incorporeal creatures?

Mostly thinking about Hearing the Air (ToB) stance.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q: 224

Can I have continual flame cast on my psicrystal? Can I then use that for Fiery Discorporation?
    Last edited by BIGMamaSloth; 2011-08-13 at 09:57 PM.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Q223: Does Blindsense (or Blindsight) detect incorporeal creatures?

Mostly thinking about Hearing the Air (ToB) stance.
    A 223:

Quoted from the SRD:
    "Nonvisual senses, such as scent and blindsight, are either ineffective or only partly effective with regard to incorporeal creatures."

Seeing as incorporeal creatures have no physical body and cannot be heard, and blindsight works through (quote) "sensitivity to vibrations, keen smell, acute hearing, or echolocation" I would say no, blindsight/blindsense do not detect incorporeal creatures.
    "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel

Homebrew Creations:
    Dragon-Mounted Mage [3.5e PrC]

Currently DMing:
    Age of Worms:Recruitment (Closed)|IC|OOC

Like D&D and video games? Try League of Legends.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 223 224 No, and no.

Continual Flame can only be cast on an object.
    A psicrystal is treated as a construct for the purposes of all effects that depend on its type.
    A psicrystal is thus not a valid target for the spell. Next, Fiery Discorporation requires an actual open flame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Continual
    The effect looks like a regular flame, but it creates no heat and doesn’t use oxygen.
    Something that only looks like an open flame doesn't meet the requirement for that power.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2011-08-13 at 08:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Halfling in the Playground

Q225: The only examples of magic staffs I've seen have all been quarterstaffs. The SRD states that "A typical staff is like a walking stick, quarterstaff, or cudgel." Are there any examples of staffs being made in the from of clubs, great clubs, or some other weapon type?

13. - Top - End - #553
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q 226:

Can a character have both a Consumptive Field and Greater Consumptive Field active at the same time?

@Curmudgeon: Ah I see, thanks. I also had no idea that plants count as living objects in this case, this is useful info.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 227
    When you create Spell Storing ammunition (50 arrows), they are created together at one cost of, I believe, 1 + 300mw + 8000/2 = 4301gp. If you want these arrows to all have the same spell stored in them, does that require 1 casting or 50 castings of the spell?

15. - Top - End - #555
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A 227

Each arrow is an individual weapon and requires a casting of the spell.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz10019 View Post
    Q 227
    When you create Spell Storing ammunition (50 arrows), they are created together at one cost of, I believe, 1 + 300mw + 8000/2 = 4301gp. If you want these arrows to all have the same spell stored in them, does that require 1 casting or 50 castings of the spell?
    On a tangent, I thought spell storing cannot be placed on arrows? At least, that option doesn't show up on the random magic weapon properties for ranged weaponry in the DMG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727

17. - Top - End - #557

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    On a tangent, I thought spell storing cannot be placed on arrows? At least, that option doesn't show up on the random magic weapon properties for ranged weaponry in the DMG.
    Q 227, related
    Can an arrow have the Spell Storing property? If so, can the wielder of the bow that launched the arrow activate the stored spell when the arrow does damage?
    Last edited by Fitz10019; 2011-08-14 at 10:48 AM.

18. - Top - End - #558

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz10019 View Post
    Q 227, related
    Can an arrow have the Spell Storing property? If so, can the wielder of the bow that launched the arrow activate the stored spell when the arrow does damage?
    Nope. It's not on the list of ranged weapon properties. Ergo, it is not a viable ranged weapon property.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 227, related ─ additional info
    Quote Originally Posted by Spell Storing
    Any time the weapon strikes a creature and the creature takes damage from it, the weapon can immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action if the wielder desires.
    The wielder of the bow is not the wielder of the fired arrow (that's no longer in the bow wielder's possession or under their control). Also,
    Ammunition

Projectile weapons use ammunition: arrows (for bows), bolts (for crossbows), or sling bullets (for slings). When using a bow, a character can draw ammunition as a free action; crossbows and slings require an action for reloading. Generally speaking, ammunition that hits its target is destroyed or rendered useless, while normal ammunition that misses has a 50% chance of being destroyed or lost.
    Magic items, unless otherwise noted, take damage as nonmagical items of the same sort. A damaged magic item continues to function, but if it is destroyed, all its magical power is lost.
    It would be impossible to choose to cast the spell when the target creature takes damage, because damage is determined after the arrow hits, and the arrow is destroyed (and thus no longer has the spell storing property) if it hits.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 228

With regards to the Illumian Sigils and which rolls are influenced by the bonuses to Str or Dex checks:

1. Are ranged attacks Dex checks?
    2. Are melee attacks Str Checks?
    3. Is a grapple check a Str check?
    4. Is resisting a trip a Str/Dex check?
    5. Is initiative a Dex check?
    6. Are skill checks (jump, tumble, etc) Str/Dex checks?
    Last edited by Elric VIII; 2011-08-14 at 12:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 229 can a character with the powerful build ability wield two two handed weapons made for medium creatures?
    also i still havent gotten answer for
    Quote Originally Posted by Razoroftruth View Post
    Q 202
    If you summon a creature and it attacks someone, do you break a vow of nonviolence?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

A 225 (partial)

I am not aware of any. One could be crafted differently, but all of the examples of staffs that are also usable as weapons that I can find are built as a quarterstaff.

A 228

Attack rolls are not ability checks. Ability checks are ...
    Sometimes a character tries to do something to which no specific skill really applies. In these cases, you make an ability check. An ability check is a roll of 1d20 plus the appropriate ability modifier. Essentially, you’re making an untrained skill check.
    And other items that are directly called out as ability checks.

For 1,2,3, the answer is no- attack rolls do not count, and grapple checks are a form of attack roll.
    4: Yes. Making and resisting a trip (also overrun, bull rush) is explicitly referred to as a Dex/Str check.
    5: Yes. Again, initiative is explicitly labeled as a Dex check.
    6: I think, RAW, no. A skill check is a different kind of check that uses an ability as a modifier, much like an attack roll. This is backed by language usage in other rules such as the penalties for sickened/fear effects/energy drain, which refer to skill checks and ability checks separately. However- the quote above about what an ability check is seems to fold ability checks in as a category of skill check, so ask your DM.

A 229
    No. Powerful Build allows you to wield a weapon one category larger than you otherwise would, but it does not change the handedness required to wield weapons of your normal size category.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Razoroftruth View Post
    also i still havent gotten answer for
    Sometimes a question is too tricky or would warrant a very complex answer, or no one knows the answer for certain.

So just appreciate the answers that we receive, and if a question is too tricky then it was just not meant to be :)
    Last edited by SoHardToRegiste; 2011-08-14 at 02:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 228
    check

A method of determining the result when a character attempts an action (other than an attack or a saving throw) that has a chance of failure. Checks are based on a relevant character ability, skill, or other characteristic. Most checks are either ability checks or skill checks, though special types such as turning checks, caster level checks, dispel checks, and initiative checks also exist. The specific name of the check usually corresponds to the skill or ability used. To make a check, roll 1d20 and add any relevant modifiers. (Higher results are always better.) If this check result equals or exceeds the Difficulty Class number assigned by the DM (or the opponent's check, if the action is opposed), the check succeeds.
    For something to be an ability check it must be described as such in the rules, or match the above definition. A check with a specific name (not specifying the ability or skill used) is a special type unless the rules describe it as an ability check or skill check.
    1. Are ranged attacks Dex checks?
      No. There's no opposed check or DC set by the DM.
    2. Are melee attacks Str Checks?
      No. There's no opposed check or DC set by the DM.
    3. Is a grapple check a Str check?
      No. It has a name and is thus a special type of check, and it's also based on other characteristics (special size modifiers).
    4. Is resisting a trip a Str/Dex check?
      Normally, yes. You can also resist a trip attempt with a Balance check (See Complete Adventurer, page 97), for which the answer would be no.
    5. Is initiative a Dex check?
      Yes. While it's a special type, and with no DC set by the DM, initiative is explicitly stated to be a Dexterity check (Player's Handbook, page 135).
    6. Are skill checks (jump, tumble, etc) Str/Dex checks?
      No. Ability checks and skill checks are considered different categories. Exception: some untrained skill checks may be described as ability checks.

Edit: Beaten to the finish line by tyckspoon.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2011-08-14 at 03:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 230 Does the charisma bonus from paladin of tyranny and black guard stack? And do rebuking abilitiese from them stack also?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

26. - Top - End - #566

A 230 no answer.

neither paladin nor blackguard gain any Cha bonus.

if you're referring to their Cha to saves abilities, however, those do stack. they are untyped bonuses with different names.

as for rebuking, I'd assume this is relevant:

Quote Originally Posted by PHB 59
    In the special case of turning undead, both clerics and experienced paladins have the same ability. If the character's paladin is level 3 or higher, her effective turning level is her cleric level plus her paladin level minus 3. Thus, a 5th-level paladin/4th-level cleric turns undead like a 6th-level cleric.
    perhaps not strictly relevant, though.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 231

If I have a homunculus familiar and it dies, can it be raised from the dead by the ruling for familiars: "A slain familiar can be raised from the dead just as a character can be, and it does not lose a level or a Constitution point when this happy event occurs." Or would it's construct trait override that?

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 231 No.

Construct traits are fundamental to a Homunculus. The standard rule about raising a familiar from the dead is predicated on them being chosen among normal animals, which a Homunculus obtained via Improved Familiar is not. A dead Homunculus familiar cannot be raised via Raise Dead.

29. - Top - End - #569

Q232: If one takes the Shadow Shaper illusionist variant, does one give up Scribe Scoll too? It's not listed as a bonus feat in the table but the text does say "At 1st level, a wizard gains Scribe Scroll as a bonus feat." On the other hand, the variant says "An illusionist using this variant does not gain bonus feats for advancing as a wizard" and it could be argued taking the first level isn't technically "advancing".

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 232

Yes, you give up Scribe Scroll at 1st level. Changing from a 1 HD Humanoid to a 1 HD Wizard is still advancing as a Wizard. Scribe Scroll is a bonus feat, as stated in the class description; it's just one that's fixed rather than chosen by the player. The Shadow Shaper variant abilities are specified at all the same levels as the sacrificed bonus feats, including the Shadow Shaper 1st level ability in place of Scribe Scroll.