New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What if Real Life worked by RAW?

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    Persistent Image says that it follows a script, but it does not say that it responds to stimuli, so not sure how to get the "computer" to talk with the "monitor" without re-casting the spell every time it runs a new process.
    "When the user places his finger on the "Power" button on that piece of wood, call boot(). After boot() has returned null, call display(desktop). Draw New Cursor at position(0,0), create thread(subCursor) /* Calls the cursor subroutine, which updates the Cursor's X and Y coordinates to correspond with the way the user moves the rock. Also, when user taps his finger on the rock, tell the mother thread to run subClick(Cursor.x,Cursor.y). */ Wait for further user input."

And so on. Keep in mind that the operating system that you're using right now is effectively one big "script" written in advance for handling user input and basic functions of a computer. The bonus part is that the hardware is all an illusion, so not only do you no longer have to worry about the whole driver mess, but your RAM, Hard Drive, and CPU are unlimited.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

How would it handle the Internet?
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    How would it handle the Internet?
    It's a really good illusion.

But in terms of actual discussion? In a super RAW world where illusions are just known and accepted as illusions, there actually isn't anything stopping one computer from accessing certain input from any other computer in the world. If you really, really wanted to stretch things far enough, you would have wireless global internet out of the box for free.

Buuut, knowing how people would cling to their old ways as much as they can, for the first hundred years or so, you'd probably have to buy illusory modems and routers for that functionality.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    "When the user places his finger on the "Power" button on that piece of wood, call boot(). After boot() has returned null, call display(desktop). Draw New Cursor at position(0,0), create thread(subCursor) /* Calls the cursor subroutine, which updates the Cursor's X and Y coordinates to correspond with the way the user moves the rock. Also, when user taps his finger on the rock, tell the mother thread to run subClick(Cursor.x,Cursor.y). */ Wait for further user input."

And so on. Keep in mind that the operating system that you're using right now is effectively one big "script" written in advance for handling user input and basic functions of a computer. The bonus part is that the hardware is all an illusion, so not only do you no longer have to worry about the whole driver mess, but your RAM, Hard Drive, and CPU are unlimited.
    Yes, I understand that, hence me saying "depends on what it means by script". The example that is given is more of a script for a play, not a set of conditional code. However, since we are going by RAW, either interpretation is valid, as all it said is "script". One of the problems when using words with multiple meanings.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

One of the problems when using words with multiple meanings.
    It's also one of the best things about working by RAW. I remember there was another thread once where someone thought about using Knock to open someone's thoracic cavity... Because it's a chest.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2011-07-23 at 10:28 PM.
    ---

6. - Top - End - #246

SwashbucklerGuy

If the world worked according to RAW:
    Chime of opening would be in every ER in the nation.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

*Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

If the world worked according to RAW:
    Chime of opening would be in every ER in the nation.
    You're assuming there are still such things as ERs. Instead, all we have is EMTs (i.e. low-level clerics and paladins) to stabilize patients, then ambulances (or, for the well-supplied responders, teleports) to the nearest temple for cure and remove disease spells. Everything is outpatient!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #248

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    You're assuming there are still such things as ERs. Instead, all we have is EMTs (i.e. low-level clerics and paladins) to stabilize patients, then ambulances (or, for the well-supplied responders, teleports) to the nearest temple for cure and remove disease spells. Everything is outpatient!
    Question is, does cure remove projectiles from the body? You may still need to open someone up to remove the half-dozen arrowheads imbedded in their lungs.

*It does.*

What.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Don't forget that the Rogues, Warlocks, and Artificiers can help with wands of Lesser Vigor. Arguably, they'll save more people per day. Also Monks with cross-classed UMD.

But before we get too creative with this, no, opening someone's chest via Knock doesn't do any damage. The target merely walks around with an open chest until it's Arcane Locked shut. Or maybe Mending shut, on the premise that we're still mending a chest, but that one isn't so explicit.

Question is, does cure remove projectiles from the body? You may still need to open someone up to remove the half-dozen arrowheads imbedded in their lungs.
    Ammunition that hits its target is rendered destroyed or useless, so they don't even stick in there unless otherwise noted. Even if they did stick in there, there's typically not a penalty to having an arrowhead in your lung.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2011-07-24 at 02:03 AM.
    ---

10. - Top - End - #250

SwashbucklerGuy

Well, there is the burrowing arrow from CW, which prevents natural healing until it's removed. Removing it deals 1d8 damage. However, magical healing WILL expel it, dealing damage with it… which give me an idea for a character now…

However, there are no rules for what happens to ammunition after it is "destroyed", so I guess that means it just disappears and isn't important…

However, I just thought of something a BBEG might do. Use knock to open up someone, fill their chest with Alchemist's Fire, heal them, and then send them toward the enemy. Any piercing or slashing damage would cut the skin, exposing the AF to the air. Suicide bomber explodes in the face of whoever hit them unless it was a ranged attack. (Insert "but the AF would have been exposed to air when it was put into the guy's chest". So, how does one make it in the first place? You'd have to mix it together before you can put it in the vial. I think the easiest way around that is to say that there is a short curing time that must pass before it's ready).

*It does.*

What.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Halfling in the Playground

Life would be insane because of the random encounters everywhere
    I apologize if I come across as rude, I often think before I speak.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxter Gronaldi View Post
    Life would be insane because of the random encounters everywhere
    Tell me, Jaxter... Do you know what thread necromancy is?
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Halfling in the Playground

No, what is it?
    I apologize if I come across as rude, I often think before I speak.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

If the world ran by 3.5 RAW, there actually wouldn't be many changes.

Magic still wouldn't exist, creatures that weren't on our world still wouldn't be on our world, and most people would go about their lives as if nothing changed.

There'd be no sorcerers because there's no source for arcane blood. There'd be no wizards because there are no legitimate spell books. There'd be no warlocks because there's nothing to make a pact with...

Divine magic likewise wouldn't exist unless an actual diety took notice of our world. It's theoretically possible to raise something to deific status, but that would take some serious cult level dedication, with innumerable people working together.

Psions could generate though, but it would require someone figuring out how to achieve it.

Ultimately, I would see some cults eventually succeeding at creating deities, while psions generated all over the globe... and an eventual war as psions began fighting the clerics for control of the world with governments recruiting both to defend themselves.

Oh damn. Didn't notice this thread was necro'd.
    Anyone have a scroll of Control Undead Destroy Undead?
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2017-11-27 at 08:45 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxter Gronaldi View Post
    No, what is it?
    You would know what thread necromancy was if you had read the forum rules.
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.