New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Murphy's Law 7: ...Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
    That explains how about 20 girls at my school are stone-cold drunk by lunch despite a) not leaving school grounds during school, b) Being sober when they start, and c) never having alcohol in the locker.
    Peculiar, I have actually never experienced anyone acting more drunk than usual at mine despite several having brought beer to the last period.

My theory goes that anyone who can survive cafeteria food automatically develop Dwarven livers. I must investigate this further! ^_^

Any volunteers? :3

On another note, I wonder if we will see any large Plavaan tribes or settlements in the comic. I wonder how different it would be to the less nomadic Human and Elven cities.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 7: ...Maybe?

Back in college and here's another comic!

#172: Just Before Means A Few Decades

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Troll in the Playground

It would be weird to see time from the view point of a dragon. You could easily make friends among the short lived races and then find out that they're dead after "only" 6 or 7 decades which you spent researching stuff or learning a new hobby.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Ettin in the Playground

A part of me that I'm slightly ashamed of is stuck on the part about Tinder being laid.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    A part of me that I'm slightly ashamed of is stuck on the part about Tinder being laid.
    o.0.

Does anyone know the best place for brain bleach?

I think it's a great comic, though, and thought provoking. I see where it's going... Hope they don't see our two favorites yet.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    It would be weird to see time from the view point of a dragon. You could easily make friends among the short lived races and then find out that they're dead after "only" 6 or 7 decades which you spent researching stuff or learning a new hobby.
    They would proably seek you out a few times before then.

Which would mistify you even more as they would seem to suddenly gain/loose features...
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2012-01-19 at 10:51 PM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Titan in the Playground

Woah. That is why people homeschool, I guess...
    People homeschool because other people are jerks.

(also apparently it educates better - i dunno)
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask
    It is a really, really bad idea.
    You know that feel when you realise that that's no teabag in your cup? That feel when you realise that you just drank all that was in it anyway? Yeah.

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    People homeschool because other people are jerks.

(also apparently it educates better - i dunno)
    Yeah, that is true as well..

BACK TO THREAD!
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Yep, I needed a re-read of that one.

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

There are 10 types of people in this world:
    Those that know ternary,
    those that don't
    and those that thought this was a binary joke.

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Ogre in the Playground

Just to correct Tinder: animals do change.

And I too had to re-read the where he said "I got laid" then I thought "egg"...

XD
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1092

Glad I'm not the only one who got hung up on the 'laid' thing. It seemed a weird thing for him to say even in context, mind, as I don't know a vast amount of people who like to get nostalgic about 'when I was conceived...' but then I could see that not squicking Tinder out in a way that it would squick other cast members out. Incidentally, initally I thought he was so indifferent to events that humans would find personal that he was referring to his own parents when he mentioned the names of the formerly warring kingdoms, but then I re-read and figured it out. I guess Tinder referring to his parents by their names instead of by their 'titles' isn't all that indifferent either, it just seems a bit odd to me, personally, and usually suggests some kind of an estrangement. Pretty sure he used terms that connected them to himself in his backstory exposition, although he presumably mentioned names as well since Radic knew who his Dad was.

I agree with whoever just spoke Rising Phoenix about Tinder being wrong about animals changing though. Admittedly, humans are alarmingly often the catalysts for such changes: see "that Victorian Pollution Moth", "Invasive Species", and so on and so forth, but then you've got your dinosaurs and ...um... [winds down on that topic] Ooh: birds changing migratory routes isn't very controversial.
    I guess that's not really the point though. People's patterns and behaviours repeat themselves just as much as other animals do, really. They just have a few institutions that the animals apparently don't, which can have a pretty big impact on the scale of the changes. The fact that Tinder isn't completely and undeniably correct about his opinion, and neither is Serrin nor even Lloyd is probably more the point of that update, I suppose.

As for lifespan... there are reasons why the first D&D character I made was an elderly goblin who was partially brought up by an elf who's stayed roughly the same age since her infancy and Murphy's Law touches on a lot of those reasons. It's an interesting thing to think about. Goblins were given as a player race right off the bat in the recruitment thread so I was keen to give it a go, elves were too but I turned out to have the only non-human PC for a little while (read: for a period of several months). I was more interested in working on a character who had a shorter life span than humans than on a character who had a longer one than humans though because that's much less paperwork and backstory to work through. I did make her from a clan with a bunch of relatives who've spread about though so it's still worked out relatively complicated.
    It [the most recent comic] all does remind me of that bit in the Discworld Series where Mr Pratchett talks about the mayflies and the Douglas Firs or whichever they were... I think it might have been in the opening of that one where Death is missing presumed gone...
    Also Douglas Adams' Sperm Whale + Bowl of Petunias + the Gr-ou-ou-ound in the first Hitchhiker's book... Presumably whilst the humanoid races have their wars, the dragons of Murphy's Law just sort of watch history happening and think to themselves: 'oh no, not again'

Was that on-topic or off?
    At least a lidl bit on topic, right?
    Last edited by Eleanor_Rigby; 2012-01-20 at 10:38 AM.
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-01-24 at 12:58 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think Tinder meant INDIVIDUALS.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

15. - Top - End - #1095

Quote Originally Posted by leakingpen View Post
    I think Tinder meant INDIVIDUALS.
    And cultural stuff. And Tinder was using it in the same context that someone would say, "before I was born." I should have said hatched...

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Pixie in the Playground

I didn't even noticed the "laid" thing. What I did notice is how unwise Tinder is even though he has lived so long.

What he do? Mention he was a dragon in public. Even with the letter, if enough people hear that he is a dragon, the mobs of low level warriors and a handful of adventurers will come for his hide.

This should hold true even with the act of toleration. The Plaavan's are relatively accepted as a whole as they are usually peaceful. Dragons, *especially* green dragons, have another reputation entirely. Though admitly it would be quite interesting if the prince's first act would be clarifying that the Act of Toleration applied to dragons...

17. - Top - End - #1097

Well that's kind of one of the reasons I opted for the chance to play as a short-lived character, x2wolf, instead of a long-lived one in the scenario I was talking about in my earlier post: the accumulated wisdom thing.

But Tinder has a pretty valid excuse for not being wise in spite of his age: the guy essentially brought himself up in isolation in the woods after his parents and sister were killed in front of him when he was a kid. It doesn't look like he knew how to get to other dragons, it would seem he deliberately tried to evade humanoids... So his social interractions weren't necessarily going to be the best. It's actually pretty impressive he's got the language faculties that he has if you look at it that way, unless he found somebody to keep him sane or he just talked to himself a lot in the intervening time... but then Dragons are meant to be a) magical and b) very smart. So... [/overanalysing]

You're right though. Mentioning he's a dragon out in public seems a risky thing to do, especially since he's already got "one of the worst polymorph forms [Saffrin Peakane has] ever seen" (paraphrasing from around Serrin's introduction sort of arc). I mean, with those fangs and the wings and everything... You'd think people would ask questions more often than they have, but that would probably slow the story down a whole lot and get tiresome after a bit. They did mention in the comic that he's very persuasive, which is just as well since his disguise is... thin at best.
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah, makes sense that Tinder is unwise. As for him being fluent in Common (or whatever the equivalent is) makes sense as he probably had plenty of years to learn it during his "childhood.". Also is likely he did talk to and even know people outside his family. For all we know, he may be the most multi-lingual party member.

On his appearance, it is possible that there is a half-dragon/similar race community in the area, so Tinder could be relatively safe in this city (though *very* Coffee dependent).

Last thing I have to say on this train of thought before I crash it is that if/when the party gains major favor from some faction, such as the prince or the elves, for him to be taught how to use alter self properly. On the flip side, losing his distinctive look might be boring /stop train

19. - Top - End - #1099

If anybody asks, Tinder says he's a Dragon Disciple. Most people don't know exactly what green dragons look like, and oddly colored hair tends to be found on magical creatures, so Tinder gets a few raised eyebrows but no really pressing questions.

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Titan in the Playground

But the real, pressing issue is whether he's still a virgin. Has he, in fact, gotten laid-laid?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Banned

Asta, I think there is something wrong with you.

... Still, though, shapeshifting's one thing. Him having lived in the woods with just family his entire life - far as I can tell - however, the answer is probably no or not one we'd like to know.
    Last edited by Worlok; 2012-01-21 at 07:24 AM. Reason: However.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worlok View Post

... Still, though, shapeshifting's one thing. Him having lived in the woods with just family his entire life - far as I can tell - however, the answer is probably no or not one we'd like to know.
    Given the ubiquity of half-dragons, he can have lost it to a squirrel for all we know.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Worlok

Given the ubiquity of half-dragons, he can have lost it to a squirrel for all we know.
    As I said... Also, would that even count? Dragon-standards of virginity or somesuch? I mean, capturing princesses and all that gotta be good for something...
    Last edited by Worlok; 2012-01-21 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Getting it.

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Hasn't Tinder already made a point of how amazing virgin's blood is? Almost every single princess is probably one - though she'll most likely loose it shortly after the hero swoops in and rescues her.

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Titan in the Playground

I guess we'll learn when we hear that the original town (did we ever get a name?) is being terrorized by squirrel half-dragons...

― Tim Fargo

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Banned

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    I guess we'll learn when we hear that the original town (did we ever get a name?) is being terrorized by squirrel half-dragons...
    LOL!

That would be something to see.

Tinder: ...Oops?

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Titan in the Playground

There's definitely story potential there. Of course, the squirrel half-dragons have Int 6 so talking with them isn't really an option.

― Tim Fargo

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Banned

On account of Feral Creature Orc Barbarians the world over, I must ask that you cease such hate-speech.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Titan in the Playground

There's definitely story potential there. Of course, the squirrel half-dragons have Int 6 so talking with them isn't really an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Worlok View Post
    On account of Feral Creature Orc Barbarians the world over, I must ask that you cease such hate-speech.
    Well you can't really talk to FCOB either. You just get an axe to the head.

― Tim Fargo

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Murphy's Law 7: ...Maybe?

Sure you can!

They should even reply! Most animals are below the human minimum of 3 and they can respond to some things! Like fetch, sit, shake drink or Activate the Hypertime Dingothingy! :3

Also, I, for one, welcome our new Draconic Scuiridian friends.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.