New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 4: Attack of the 60-Inch AnthroPC

Its better than the deep sighing and the constant self doubt and angst that we were leading up to.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    I must be the odd one out in that I don't actually like Momo...
    I'm with you. She worked very well as a straight woman (anthro?) to Marigold's antics, but I find her a little boring on her own. I'm still waiting for her to find her own feet as a character. Overall, I'm just kinda "meh" towards her.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Huh. Apparently I missed Friday's comic. And I didn't see today's until you guys mentioned it.

Stupid RSS feed.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    I must be the odd one out in that I don't actually like Momo...
    Not liking Momo-tan is a bit like not liking Grace in El Goonish Shiv; you can do it, but it's not easy.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

I like Momo, although I admit that her arc of social development isn't as pronounced or well-defined as Hannelore's or Marigold's. I'm not sure I know WHY she felt the need to dive into the Uncanny Valley with such a lifelike chassis.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Not liking Momo-tan is a bit like not liking Grace in El Goonish Shiv; you can do it, but it's not easy.
    If they were real people I knew, I'd probably like them even though I guess I'd find them a bit creepy. (One is a robot doll, the other a secret super weapon/alien hybrid of prophecy? WTF)

But as characters? People and characters aren't judged on the same criteria. I don't really care for the QC AIs, which seems more like a storytelling crutch for Jeph to have something to talk about other than Marten's angsty angstiness of angst. I'll welcome them for that, but I kinda wish he could do so without having to rely on WACKY ANTICS(tm).

And Grace is the self-insert character's dream girlfriend/secret super weapon/alien hybrid of prophecy. She's got a lot of depth to acquire before she can overcome a baggage like this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

7. - Top - End - #787
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Really now? Not liking Grace is pretty easy. I'd actually go so far as to say I kind of hate her. But I personally find her to be rather annoying. (Especially with the current boar story.)

Momo is kind of a hit or miss character. She's had her moments where I've found her enjoyable. That said, I wouldn't necessarily say I like her . . . But I also wouldn't say I dislike her.

8. - Top - End - #788

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Quite easy. She's the main reason I stopped reading that comic, couldn't stand how the art style handled her.

Momo has... promise, however, and so I'm willing to wait until she makes good on it or Jeph decides he just wants to let his butts disease cause disappointment.

The whole semi-anatomically correct, self-motile real doll body that Jeph gave Momo has me very, very leery. Because I hate such things as being very, very creepy and represent to me the dark part of "nerd fantasy" that I wish I could excise from the culture.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-01-09 at 06:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

...What is this I sense in Momo? Something... a kernel of almost being... human? (I, too, feel the urge all too often to buy the shiny instead of repaying debts...)

10. - Top - End - #790

NecromancerGuy

Eh, I don't think anatomically correct automatons are particularly creepy when they're sentient.

I would just find myself wondering why they'd even bother engaging in the kind of activities that require anatomic correctness. Unless they arbitrarily decide to make a living by whoring themselves out.

It wouldn't start to make sense unless the artificial flesh and robotics and whatnot could accurately simulate the sensations of pain and pleasure, and at that point you're pushing towards some transhuman wackiness.

---------------

Then again, if they fall in love I guess they could just decide to go through the motions for the benefit of their human.

And I guess they have to get SOMETHING out of it. Momo did already have that sex dream about Sven way back when.

11. - Top - End - #791

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    Eh, I don't think anatomically correct automatons are particularly creepy when they're sentient.

I would just find myself wondering why they'd even bother engaging in the kind of activities that require anatomic correctness. Unless they arbitrarily decide to make a living by whoring themselves out.
    Well, that someone designed it and intended it to be used and that any of them intended to use it definitely strikes me as creepy independent of the current crop of people who most want that in the real world.

That AI were designed to have a sexual component at all or would find it desirable to encourage its development is kind of off kilter into creepy territory as well.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-01-10 at 05:36 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Well, that someone designed it and intended it to be used and that any of them intended to use it definitely strikes me as creepy independent of the current crop of people who most want that in the real world.

That AI were designed to have a sexual component at all or would find it desirable to encourage its development is kind of off kilter into creepy territory as well.
    Not neccessarily. The only example of such things we have are humans, for whom such things are integral to sanity. Not only would it be perfectly pausible to think that designing the foundations of an entirely theoretical intelligence would be easier if that intelligence is largely similar to your own, but it would also make the product far more relatable.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Troll in the Playground

I understood it to be that the development of A.I. libido was just as accidental as A.I.'s themselves. In which case the development of anatomically functional chassis may very have been to benefit them and not just creepy organics?
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

14. - Top - End - #794

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Not neccessarily. The only example of such things we have are humans, for whom such things are integral to sanity. Not only would it be perfectly pausible to think that designing the foundations of an entirely theoretical intelligence would be easier if that intelligence is largely similar to your own, but it would also make the product far more relatable.
    The entire point of AI is human ability without having an entire human there too.

Making an AI that wants to have sex with one's self is on the same level as the designer of the holodeck explicitly stating that his intention was holo-bimbos and marketing the tech solely on those grounds. Sure, it's impressive and all, but it still leaves a greasy feeling in one's soul while one looks on and sees the point being missed in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    I understood it to be that the development of A.I. libido was just as accidental as A.I.'s themselves. In which case the development of anatomically functional chassis may very have been to benefit them and not just creepy organics?
    That just makes the AI creepy too, really.

We made AI, and now it wants to have sex with us as one of its primary goals. Eww
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-01-10 at 09:53 PM.
    Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #795
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Wait, why is sex inherently creepy again?

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

Could someone explain to me why anyone would consider the way Marten is acting passive? He can't exactly be more obviously attempting contact, and it seems perfectly healthy at this point to expect her to make the next move.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Troll in the Playground

Could someone explain to me why anyone would consider the way Marten is acting passive? He can't exactly be more obviously attempting contact, and it seems perfectly healthy at this point to expect her to make the next move.
    I agree with this sentiment. He did already try contacting her several times. What's he supposed to do, go to the coffee shop so he can hear her say she's been avoiding him? That just embarrasses all involved.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

18. - Top - End - #798

NecromancerGuy

About the only thing there is that he shouldn't have altered his schedule based on thinking she was avoiding him.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ogre in the Playground

About the only thing there is that he shouldn't have altered his schedule based on thinking she was avoiding him.
    I thought he'd mostly stopped going to the Secret Bakery, due to having returned to Coffee of Doom?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, He was trying to avoid drama with Dora, but things smoothed out fairly quickly.

21. - Top - End - #801

Yeah, He was trying to avoid drama with Dora, but things smoothed out fairly quickly.
    I'll say, he is already talking about his girl problems with her. WHAT THE HELL?! Seriously. What. The. Hell. Marten, I know her and faye are your friends, and thats great, but do you really think the dora, your ex, wants to hear anything about your current love life? And are we really expected to believe that she honestly wants to help him? How long has it been since they broke up? Its so hard to keep track in this comic, but it cant have been THAT long.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ettin in the Playground

I've seen much the same thing IRL. They were quite close friends before they started dating, and the breakup wasn't really traumatic enough to kill the friendship. Once the initial trauma wore off, they realized that things were for the better. True, it was faster than you would expect, but that's a comic for you.

23. - Top - End - #803

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    I thought he'd mostly stopped going to the Secret Bakery, due to having returned to Coffee of Doom?
    Completely abandoning the place where he had begun to make some bonds and was pursuing a short term relationship with someone?

How does that click more than that he'd give custom to both.
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #804
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I'll say, he is already talking about his girl problems with her. WHAT THE HELL?! Seriously. What. The. Hell. Marten, I know her and faye are your friends, and thats great, but do you really think the dora, your ex, wants to hear anything about your current love life? And are we really expected to believe that she honestly wants to help him? How long has it been since they broke up? Its so hard to keep track in this comic, but it cant have been THAT long.
    Considering that she was asking about it beforehand, I think she's cool with it.

And if they're both mature and comfortable with it... well, that's their business.

25. - Top - End - #805

Hmmm... Jeph seems to think that Martin is acting like a **** today. I dont think so. I think he behaved exactly right. Maybe next time Padma will realise she can't treat someone like ****e and expect them to be all "Oh you have time for ME! I'm so happy and will drop everything for you" when you ring em.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

Marten, this is what having a spine feels like. It may not always feel nice, but you'll get farther than without it.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

27. - Top - End - #807
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Having been in a similar situation to Marten in the past, I can understand the frustration. I don't get why Jeph thinks he's being jerk, because to me he seems to be handling the situation fairly well. If the girl doesn't want to talk, then leave her alone. But she can't expect that she can leave the guy twisting in the wind and come to pick him up whenever she feels like it.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

Well... Problem is, he doesn't actually have plans. So he's just saying no to deny her something she wants, aka hurt her. You can argue whether or not he's justified in that, but it's still a jerk move.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

29. - Top - End - #809

Plus, this is the last time he will see her. Likely ever. Its not like he can blow her off this time to "teach her a lesson" then go meet her in a couple days and try again. She is leaving. I bet marten wusses out and goes down there, only to see her making out with big guy. Her justification? "You didnt want to be here, and I wanted to blow off some stress before I go." More drama ensues. Mostly marten scowling to himself and his friends as she will be gone the next day.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Well... Problem is, he doesn't actually have plans. So he's just saying no to deny her something she wants, aka hurt her. You can argue whether or not he's justified in that, but it's still a jerk move.
    Because I figured he'd rather not be hurt himself by the whole ordeal since she's moving away and he might never se her again, I don't consider it a jerk move myself.

If someone wants something from you and you don't want to give it to them, it's not necessarily a jerk move. It depends on motive.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries