New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIV: "Pray for 6's!"

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Terminators aren't most infantry.
    This goes for pretty much anything with a 2+ or a ++ of 4 or bettet
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #512
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

What are your thougts about Tomb Blades of The new Necrons?
    As weel as Spyders/Scarabs things.
    Still triying to figure what to get Scarabs, Tomb Blades or Wraiths.
    Pretty hard decisition, About HQ's i think Imotek is the One.
    And warriors + Ghostarks are a MUST.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

There is a general agreement in this thread that Wraiths are about the strongest cc choice to come out of the new codex.

Also, Imotek is a shiny distraction, Zahndrekh is the real deal.

As for Ghostarc's, people are not quite in agreement about whereever they are worth the bother or not.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #514
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by filvento View Post
    Personally, I think tomb blades will be good, but only with shield vanes. They don't have the numbers for reanimation to matter when most anti infantry guns have 3-6 shots and AP 4, or just a huge number of shots. If you want tesla, twin linking is nice, but the gauss weapons are where it's at for them in the end.

I've tried 3 spyders backing up a scarab swarm, and it worked really well, though it must be said my opponent was not very good. still, scarab bases have 3 wounds, eternal warrior, fearless, and 4 entropic attacks, which is death incarnate to vehicles and something to slow down even honor guard squads. maybe. the spyders themselves were underwhelming, but if you pump out a couple scarab bases per spyder and manage to get them in close combat with something largely unable to hurt it, like your basic space marines with no power fist, it'll do well enough for a 50 point model.

Wraiths, to me, seem better than terminators. no 2+ save, but with 2 wounds, T5, sweeping capability, and a 12" move it seems worth it to me. adding 10 points to pretty much always go first is also really powerful IMO.

Imotek seems good, but at his cost, plus the court you're gonna want, that's a lot of investment. fine for the higher games, but I'd leave him out of anything less than 1750.

As for warriors, I've fielded them in 3 different ways now, and my favorite and seemingly most effective was 20 with a phaeron and a ghost ark backup, or at 9, a lord with a res orb, and they ride in a ghost ark, and lastly just 10 in a ghost ark. All told, I find I prefer tesla immortals as troops though, simply because as a troop type, they have no significant need for a harbinger, lord, or phaeron.

EDIT: to put in my 2 credits on the ghost ark itself, I love hurricane bolters. so when i saw the flayer arrays, I loved those too. and armor 13? heck yes!(being open topped, I don't count on surviving the first penetrating hit, so the reduction won't matter) The only issue with it that I see is that it's repair function will probably not get used very much; warriors will often die in large groups, or even all at once. The people killing the warriors will be sure to either sweep them in CC, or if they HAVE to torrent them down, just take the ark before they even bother. so that's kinda wasted points, unfortunately. Still, an armor 13 transport with 2 flayer arrays is not to be discounted.
    Last edited by Provengreil; 2011-11-26 at 05:36 PM.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

A couple of minor issues..

Scarabs swarms dont have eternal warrior, also, wraiths only have T4.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #516

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    A couple of minor issues..

Scarabs swarms dont have eternal warrior, also, wraiths only have T4.
    sorry, it's the lychguard that have T5, my bad.

also, I could have sworn swarms had vulnerable to templates and eternal warrior as part of their rules. But I seem to have misplaced my rulebook, so I can't check atm.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Provengreil View Post
    sorry, it's the lychguard that have T5, my bad.

also, I could have sworn swarms had vulnerable to templates and eternal warrior as part of their rules. But I seem to have misplaced my rulebook, so I can't check atm.
    No Eternal Warrior, but they do have Stealth - and of course, vulnerable to templates/blasts.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Here's something I prepared earlier.

Tomb Blades are okay. Outclassed by Destroyers.

Scarabs are bad, unless you want to fly up the board just to eat a tank instead of just paying points for something that can shoot it.
    Spyders are neat because Psychic Defense is kind of important.

Wraiths are one the top Assault units in the game. Especially when carrying around a Destroyer Lord. Unfortunately, do to small unit sizes and T4, you need to be able to back up your army with other Assault units. Otherwise they're running up the board by themselves getting Lascannon'd and Long Fanged to death.
    In short, Wraiths are amazing if the Codex could support them. Which it kind of doesn't (see Codex: Space Marines and Hammernators). Get lots of Wraiths, and Praetorians. And try and make your entire army as Jump Infantry as possible.

Imotekh doesn't work in armies less than 1750. Requires a second Overlord and two Solar Pulses. Pretty much junk against Infantry armies.

Judging from The Internet and my own experiences, Warriors are not that important. Immortals are far better. The difference is in the armour save and better guns.

Zahndrekh + Court
    Triarch Stalkers / C'Tan
    Immortals (MSU Night Scythes)
    Wraiths (2 max units) and Destroyers
    Doom Scythes. Maybe one unit of Spyders.

Here's some more I prepared earlier.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2011-11-26 at 07:19 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #519
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    This goes for pretty much anything with a 2+ or a ++ of 4 or bettet
    Which is... What? Meganobz, Terminators, Obliterators. In short, stuff that's really expensive and no one takes loads of because they cost too much. I don't know about you, but I tote around plenty of AP2 stuff; not everything in the army needs to match it. Strength 6 wounds Toughness 4 on 2+, which is all it really needs to do; against most infantry S10 is just gravy. Anything not multiwound in power armor or worse, which is the majority of infantry in the game, is killed just as dead by a Colossus as a Medusa, and unlike with the Medusa, cover won't save them. They have equivalent costs for a reason, and it's because they do different jobs and do them well. I can do the mathhammer if you want, but I should think this a fairly self-evident proposition.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

10. - Top - End - #520

DwarfFighterGuy

So what do you mean when you say that Codex SM doesn't support hammernators?

The fact that there is no other good dedicated CC unit in the codex? The difficulty of getting them into CC in the first place without the investment in a land raider crusader? They are just weak when compared to GK termies dropped out of stormravens?
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    The fact that there is no other good dedicated CC unit in the codex? The difficulty of getting them into CC in the first place without the investment in a land raider crusader? They are just weak when compared to GK termies dropped out of stormravens?
    All of the above.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2011-11-26 at 07:42 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #522
    Troll in the Playground

So what do you mean when you say that Codex SM doesn't support hammernators?

Actually, Hammernators will stomp GK Termies flat, point for point. The 3++ is sort of a deal breaker.

Paladins are a different matter entirely.
    Last edited by Tome; 2011-11-26 at 07:47 PM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

13. - Top - End - #523

DwarfFighterGuy

Three things:

1: I don't actually play 40k tabletop, so most of my knowledge is from lurking here and in my local gamestore where 40K gets played side-by-side with me playing Puerto-Rico/whatever else is at board-game-night.

2: I wasn't positing a fight between GK termies and SM hammernators, I was more implicating that the GK units are better because a stormraven has the mobility that a landraider really doesn't to put the GKs where they want to be faster.

3: Whats the differnce between GK pallies and GK terminators?
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

14. - Top - End - #524

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Actually, Hammernators will stomp GK Termies flat, point for point. The 3++ is sort of a deal breaker.

Paladins are a different matter entirely.
    Why? A thunder hammer will ID them.
    Terminators have two wounds; that is, you have to wound them and have them fail their armor save twice before they die. Their toughness is only 4, though, and a thunder hammer's strength is 8. There's an instant death rule that says if a model takes a hit from a weapon with S double its T or more, it dies immediately. 4x2=8, so...
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

15. - Top - End - #525

DrowGuy

Three things:

1: I don't actually play 40k tabletop, so most of my knowledge is from lurking here and in my local gamestore where 40K gets played side-by-side with me playing Puerto-Rico/whatever else is at board-game-night.

2: I wasn't positing a fight between GK termies and SM hammernators, I was more implicating that the GK units are better because a stormraven has the mobility that a landraider really doesn't to put the GKs where they want to be faster.

for the third, paladins are more expensive but, unless you're strapped for points(whick, being the knights, you are), they're better or at least the same in every way. most notably, they have 2 wounds. still won't help against hammernators, but on non instant death stuff it's better.

As for SM support of the hammernators, they're fantastic for their cost, but It's true they have little synergy. land raiders can be brought down fast, and the only guy that speeds up reserves to teleport them in costs as much as a land raider and is a lot easier to kill. then of course you need to either have a beacon or just trust your deep strike, two strategies seen virtually nowhere outside of chaos marines and daemons in my experience, though I personally tend to trust my dice a bit more.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Troll in the Playground

Three things:

Yeah, GK Termies in Stormravens isn't the best idea. They tend to both be more valuable, being scoring, and less durable, due to a lack of 3++ save. They also generally don't mind having to walk so much, gives them time to whittle things down with their shooting.

I'll certainly agree that the GK Termies have more support though.

Paladins, incidentally, are GK Terminators on steroids. Durability goes up thanks to 2 wounds and Feel No Pain, and so does assault ability - mostly due to their increased WS. They're also ridiculously expensive, to the point where the netlist built around them, Draigowing, is basically just 15 Paladins and a couple of HQs.

Why? A thunder hammer will ID them.
    WS 5 makes a pretty big difference. Less hits from the hammers, more saves forced by the Pallies.
    Last edited by Tome; 2011-11-26 at 08:23 PM.

17. - Top - End - #527

DwarfFighterGuy

Okay, so that question answered, if codex SM Hammernators are considered good but with poor synergy, why is Deathwing for the Dark angels considered good?

I know that cheesegear listed it earlier along with Draigowing and Sanguinary Guard as good starter armies that are reliable and low-cost.

Just the fact that they are troops is enough to justify it? Or do Dark Angels get some codex-specific rules of DOOM?

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, so that question answered, if codex SM Hammernators are considered good but with poor synergy, why is Deathwing for the Dark angels considered good?

I know that cheesegear listed it earlier along with Draigowing and Sanguinary Guard as good starter armies that are reliable and low-cost.

Just the fact that they are troops is enough to justify it? Or do Dark Angels get some codex-specific rules of DOOM?
    From what I understand, Troops is one part, Cyclone Missile Launchers for ranged anti-tank is another and Fearless is the third.
    Last edited by Tome; 2011-11-26 at 08:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post

Wraiths are one the top Assault units in the game. Especially when carrying around a Destroyer Lord. Unfortunately, do to small unit sizes and T4, you need to be able to back up your army with other Assault units. Otherwise they're running up the board by themselves getting Lascannon'd and Long Fanged to death.
    In short, Wraiths are amazing if the Codex could support them. Which it kind of doesn't (see Codex: Space Marines and Hammernators). Get lots of Wraiths, and Praetorians. And try and make your entire army as Jump Infantry as possible.

Imotekh doesn't work in armies less than 1750. Requires a second Overlord and two Solar Pulses. Pretty much junk against Infantry armies.
    What about synergy between Imotekh and Wraiths? You can have them in assault Turn 2 in most cases, so you only need 1 turn of Night Fight to hide them from Lascannons/LongFangs/whatever (yeah, Acute Senses, but they can always roll bad, so it's better than nothing).

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ettin in the Playground

Just trust your deep strike, two strategies seen virtually nowhere outside of chaos marines and daemons in my experience, though I personally tend to trust my dice a bit more.
    You obviously haven't seen my Tyranids then

Deepstriking Trygon/Doom of Malantai go go go

Anyway, as I was staring at my Termagaunts last night and I began wondering about the two Weapons I never use. Spinefists and the flamer template you get per 10 Termagaunts (Codex is missing and I can't remember it as much as Spinefist). So I was wondering what situation would they be useful in/What are your opinions on the two weapons?
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Pretty sure I never said that Draigowing was a good starter army. Deathwing is.

Because Deathwing are Scoring and run around with Cyclones and there are almost always more than one unit of them?

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    What about synergy between Imotekh and Wraiths?
    Yeah, that's fine. But I hope you're playing a high points bracket.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

22. - Top - End - #532

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    You obviously haven't seen my Tyranids then

Deepstriking Trygon/Doom of Malantai go go go
    LOL, Doom of Malantai. Excuse me while I keep all my troops in their APCs. At least, that seemed to totally hose it the one time I played against it. (I felt bad that game; the guy playing quit the hobby right there and sold all his models to another player for $40 before leaving.)

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ettin in the Playground

LOL, Doom of Malantai. Excuse me while I keep all my troops in their APCs. At least, that seemed to totally hose it the one time I played against it. (I felt bad that game; the guy playing quit the hobby right there and sold all his models to another player for $40 before leaving.)

Lol, Would you be so kind as to allow me to send my Trygon to rip open your tin can? You should feel bad though, this isn't a huge hobby and every person we lose is one less player to keep us going. Still that was a bit of a over reaction, did the player have any anti Vehicle weapons to pop them open?
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

24. - Top - End - #534

DrowGuy

does the doom itself not come with that lance power?

25. - Top - End - #535

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Lol, Would you be so kind as to allow me to send my Trygon to rip open your tin can? You should feel bad though, this isn't a huge hobby and every person we lose is one less player to keep us going. Still that was a bit of a over reaction, did the player have any anti Vehicle weapons to pop them open?
    He got exactly one kill point; a Leman Russ Executioner via melee Carnifex, which I promptly shot to death thereafter. There was a Trygon involved too, but it was also shot to death. If he had anything else that could reliably hurt tanks, I don't know about it, because it was all shot to death soon after crossing midfield.

I was just his last game in the tournament; he'd apparently gotten roflstomped in the preceding ones as well. You may note that I say I always lose; I'm not kidding and everyone in my club knows it. If my self-hating cube of dice and I manage to stomp someone into the ground, he's not very good at this, to put it mildly.

26. - Top - End - #536

DrowGuy

He got exactly one kill point; a Leman Russ Executioner via melee Carnifex, which I promptly shot to death thereafter. There was a Trygon involved too, but it was also shot to death. If he had anything else that could reliably hurt tanks, I don't know about it, because it was all shot to death soon after crossing midfield.

I was just his last game in the tournament; he'd apparently gotten roflstomped in the preceding ones as well. You may note that I say I always lose; I'm not kidding and everyone in my club knows it. If my self-hating cube of dice and I manage to stomp someone into the ground, he's not very good at this, to put it mildly.
    you and I should have a match: I regularly fight my own dice harder than my opponent.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Troll in the Playground

you and I should have a match: I regularly fight my own dice harder than my opponent.
    My dice, meanwhile, just love me.

Probably because they know what happens if they don't.

28. - Top - End - #538

NinjaGuy

How does Force weapon of Gk works? I mean a guy just killed 11 Scarabs of mine with instant death with a group of 5 GK's. With a librarian all psikers with force weapons.

29. - Top - End - #539

How does Force weapon of Gk works? I mean a guy just killed 11 Scarabs of mine with instant death with a group of 5 GK's. With a librarian all psikers with force weapons.
    They work like all other force weapons. Page 50 of the main rulebook.

30. - Top - End - #540

NinjaGuy

Yea but they ALL strike with that force weapon? Cause isnt just 3 psichycs per Unit? if he has 11 Gks, the 11 Gks attack with that force weapon rule? And kjust one rollcheck? Its OP.