New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Ramen United!: Good add-ons to Ramen

Hey Playground,
    I might have to live off of Ramen for a week or so in the future, so I want to know what are some good things to Toss in, and your choice favorites. Nothing as too weird here.
    As a note, all I have is Roast Beef Manchu Ramen in my possession.

Ramen Eaters Unite!
    Check out the Hansbachman Blog, it's a cure for all of your ills!
    It's Grade A, Top Notch, and One of a Kind!
    All natural, Backwards Compatible and Moving Forward with the times.
    We're off-brand, off-tempo, and on point, with an ear to the ground, finger on the pulse, and hand on the trigger.
    We're on the beat like Ginsberg, hyper-aware and hyper-active.
    Running on multi-actuated heavy duty pistons with a pistol grip.

Thanks to Dashwood for the Extravagant Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Ramen United!: Good add-ons to Ramen

Curry Ramen is absolutely delicious and I love to eat it in its curried goodness.

Chashu pork is also good.
    Last edited by dgnslyr; 2011-12-11 at 06:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Crunchy peanut butter and a touch of chili powder or hot sauce works wonders.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-12-11 at 06:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #4

Fresh herbs: cilantro, thai basil, dill
    Scallions
    Sriracha (chile-garlic sauce)
    Hoisin sauce
    Enoki mushrooms
    Miso paste
    Bean Paste
    Bean Sprouts
    Eggs--boiled beforehand and sliced or cooked in the ramen broth while whisked

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like to add ground cayenne pepper to mine.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Chicken nuggets.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

I once chopped up a bunch of onion, celery, and carrots and divvied them up into about five packets I made out of Saran wrap.

Toss the ingredients into the water before you put it over the stovetop, and use less water (or more crunchy bits, either or). Garlic salt, pepper, and it came out enough like a stew (a depressingly meatless stew, but still) to fill and satisfy, and also gave me stuff I wouldn't have otherwise.

If you shave the carrot thin enough / small enough, a single carrot gives a lot of additional doses. Onions and celery are hard to ration though, because you expect them to semidissolve into the broth. Haven't tried anything else, but broccoli sounds like it would work, as well as real garlic.

I'd also suggest drinking the broth, and using ALL of it. It's a lot of sodium, but the lover you can go between ramen joshed the better, and fluid is filling. Especially brothy, celery onion fluid.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic_Comedian View Post
    Chicken nuggets.
    If you can afford chicken nuggets, you are probably not living off $0.33-$0.25 a packet ramen, at least the way they price chicken nuggets in my neck of the woods.
    Fresh garlic chopped up is a nice addition as is black pepper, especially with beef ramen. Just peanut peanut butter is nice, as is julian cut celery, green beans and bell peppers. Hells, any veggies are nice, including onions.
    Hot sauce is always nice, though doesn't add much food value.
    Cooking up some rice, white or brown, and adding it the the broth can add some good fullness.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2011-12-11 at 09:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Generally, i just cook up the soup, add some fresh chives from the garden, some chopped deli-meats, an egg or two broken into the soup near the end, maybe a splash or two of sesame oil.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    If you can afford chicken nuggets, you are probably not living off $0.33-$0.25 a packet ramen, at least the way they price chicken nuggets in my neck of the woods.
    If you're buying fresh vegetables and other things to throw in your ramen then you can -probably- afford a dollar 4 piece nugget. Just saying.

11. - Top - End - #11

NecromancerGuy

Bulk frozen chicken nuggets and fish sticks are acquirable in certain american supermarkets for prices comparable to a bulk case of ramen.

Of course, IIRC, you get a better deal off of just buying the 1 dollar or less 1 pound boxes of macaroni/spaghetti pasta and getting some cheap spices/boullion/soy sauce in terms of price.

Cheap breakfast sausage or ground offal can be acquired for around 1.60-2.00 a pound and a pound of that can be used to stretch out noodles a modest amount.

Though, really, dry beans and rice are the cheapest way to get a complete protein still.

And can be doctored up in most of the same way as ramen while being marginally better.

Hmm, that reminds me, I need to find a use for these fish sticks...
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Some veggies, maybe a little chicken (Chicken ramen is my favorite) and I almost always put in an egg and a little garlic.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Add some cheese to the curry ramen and for the chicken flavored noodles, crack an egg in the bowl you are eating from and pour the hot noodles onto the egg then mix it all up. Slimy and delicious.
    Last edited by The_Admiral; 2011-12-12 at 12:16 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Hmm, that reminds me, I need to find a use for these fish sticks...
    Do what I do. Rice + meat + ketchup = complete, satisfying meal. Ketchup and rice is actually really good. The sour taste is a little like tonkatsu sauce, except tomato flavored instead of soy sauce flavored.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Cabbage is usually on the cheaper end for vegetables (though not nearly as cheap as potatoes), and it works well. Carrots and onions are also good, if you can afford them, and if you are eating ramen and have money to throw around, you can spring for leeks (and meat). Then there are dry goods, a touch of chilli powder goes a long way, as does a touch of garlic powder - though you might be able to afford actual garlic, which can be used as if it were a vegetable.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

16. - Top - End - #16

I usually add sweet chili sauce and leftover pieces of meat to my ramen.
    Leftover bits of onion too.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I like those dried shiitake mushrooms chopped up quite thinly after soaking. Once they're cooked they have the consistency of earlobes.

And then you use the soaking water as your cooking fluid -- it lends a tasty flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Though, really, dry beans and rice are the cheapest way to get a complete protein still.
    Please don't propagate this myth, biscuit! For starters, rice (presuming you mean white) has basically no protein; and secondly, it's not necessary to consume the complete amino acid profile in a single meal so long as you get a variety of vegetable protein sources, generally.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2011-12-12 at 12:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Egg and Green Onion.

Slice up Green Onion (using a pair of scissors works well) and sprinkle into your boiling water right as you add the stock. Or add to bowl at the same time you pour hot water in from your kettle.

Take a raw egg. Crack it open, and dump it right into the bowl, on top of your noodles + broth. Do this quickly, before the water goes from piping hot to not so hot.
    Put a small dish or plate over the bowl to cover. Essentially, the egg is going to cook via steam/hot water. You're essentially poaching the egg on top of your noodles.
    Salt and pepper, pinch of ginger powder. Delicious.

Cabbage, lettuce, and fish sauce (allergy warning) are all good and cheap and decently healthy. Rice wine vinegar really gives it some zing if you can't consume the fish sauce.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I like those dried shiitake mushrooms chopped up quite thinly after soaking. Once they're cooked they have the consistency of earlobes.

And then you use the soaking water as your cooking fluid -- it lends a tasty flavour.
    Slightly off-topic, but this is a fantastic way to prepare porcini mushrooms as well. The mushroom liquor makes a great addition to any number of sauces.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but this is a fantastic way to prepare porcini mushrooms as well. The mushroom liquor makes a great addition to any number of sauces.
    mmmmmm.
    Oh baby, pass the butter.

Back on topic, Ramen. Yeah.

One trick I do is I use as little water as possible. I let the whole thing boil down and reduce to pretty much nothing. Then I throw the noodles + reduced stock into a hot frying pan. The reduced stock turns into a sauce with the starch of the ramen. Sprinkle in spices, keep it moving, keep it from sticking, dump it onto a pre-warmed plate with some steamed veg. YUM.

PS-A vegetable steamer is an awesome purchase, usually around 20 bucks, makes rice, turns frozen stir fry veg packs into edible veg.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

how about a casserole?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    If you're buying fresh vegetables and other things to throw in your ramen then you can -probably- afford a dollar 4 piece nugget. Just saying.
    A dollars worth of broccoli can be added to about two-four servings of raman. A dollars worth of onion even more, and a dollars worth of fresh garlic will serve you well for quite a while at about 35c a bulb, adding a clove or two at a time.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    A dollars worth of broccoli can be added to about two-four servings of raman. A dollars worth of onion even more, and a dollars worth of fresh garlic will serve you well for quite a while at about 35c a bulb, adding a clove or two at a time.
    A head of broccoli and a bulb of garlic get me about 4 large full bowls of soup. Tasty too, if you like broccoli.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I've been turning the phrase "mushroom liquor" over and over in my mind since you wrote it. Its poetic value gives me a slick pleasure.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    A head of broccoli and a bulb of garlic get me about 4 large full bowls of soup. Tasty too, if you like broccoli.
    And garlic.
    That does sound tasty.
    And pretty healthy for you if you drink lots of water, most of us can simply flush out the extra sodium from the Ramen if we are well hydrated.

26. - Top - End - #26

I've been turning the phrase "mushroom liquor" over and over in my mind since you wrote it. Its poetic value gives me a slick pleasure.
    Any time you boil or reconstitute some kind of vegetable, some of its essence will end up in the water. Boil carrots, you get slightly copper colored water. Boil broccoli and you get green water.
    I try to keep this stuff and make vegetable stock. Potato water is very very good for making bread with.

And yes. Mushroom liquor from such a process. It's got so many excellent uses, even for something simple like ramen. And things far more complex.

Another good trick for ramen.

Fry up a chicken breast or or a pork chop or some beef. Remove meat from pan. Add water or chicken stock (or indeed, ramen broth) to the pan, stir it around. This is called 'deglazing' and you basically make a sauce from the remains of the chicken as well as whatever you add to the pan.
    Loads of options for stuff you can add to the pan, veggie stock, chicken stock, ramen water, pasta water, white/red wine.

Or, yes, mushroom liquor.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I know very well what it is, cupcake. I mean I am savouring the way the words feel together.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2011-12-12 at 03:47 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I know very well what it is, cupcake. I mean I am savouring the way the words feel together.
    I tend to savour the way the words taste together.

29. - Top - End - #29

I tend to taste the savour words way together. Wait, what are we talking about? Right, ramen.

Ramen + Salad greens. Tricky to find a good dressing for. Spinach is cheap, lettuce is cheap, and as someone pointed out, a head of cabbage is very cheap. Ramen + Cabbage works out a lot like a Cole Slaw.

Spicy Mayo + Cabbage (Suey Choy?) + Ramen = Japanese Cole Slaw?

On that note, try frying your ramen noodles with some Zesty Italian Dressing. It's different. I'd even go so far as to call it interesting.

I've heard tell that Ramen fried in beer isn't as disgusting as one would first think. It may actually more disgusting than it sounds, but I haven't the heart to waste good beer on such an experiment. Or bad beer.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2011-12-13 at 12:58 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGuy

That reminds me, Hand To Mouth, a spin-off of SMBC Theater did a Ramen episode.
    Homebrew