New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    You mentioning Jayden made me realize just what exactly Luna was suggesting here right now.

Most considerate.
    "Hey, our friend who is so guilt ridden over a past relationship that she doesn't even talk anymore is staying here. Let's start talking about hurrying up and having our wedding here!"

2. - Top - End - #332
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

My opinion: Today's comic actually explains a lot about Dominic's sociopathic tendencies. I mean, this goes beyond harmless pranking. Turn your sword into a snake, it might be surprising, but you'll eventually come to the logical conclusion that it's an illusion given the context. No, it's the last two panels that make this brilliant. It isn't just pranking, it's messing with his day to day life. Making him think some people are other people, probably pulling some of that dream within a dream stuff, until Donovan doesn't know where he is or who he can trust. As a backstory for Donovan and Miranda, this is at once 1) unexpected and 2) makes way too much sense. Well done.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

3. - Top - End - #333

NecromancerGuy

If only Terracciano would see it that way instead of just taking it as a couple throwaway jokes. If he was capable of actually making connections like that, Dominic would be seen as an anti-hero or villain protagonist by now.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

This...does make sense! This is where Dom inherited his meddle gene.

Imagin what hatred popa dom could cause!

5. - Top - End - #335
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    So did i, and i feel it were one of the few times where one of his comments were spot one, when he said "Do whatever the hell you want on your wedding day"

Rock on..
    Just don't post pictures of it on the internet if it'll cause people to be violently ill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

6. - Top - End - #336
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Mookie is deluding himself. There is no other logical explanation for this:

UPDATE: I've been getting a lot of emails about this, so I thought I'd set the record straight. There is no mistake in today's comic. "Deegan" is Miranda's maiden name and Donovan took it when they got married. This will be further explained in tomorrow's comic.
    So you will answer- the very SAME DAY about a small issue sent by...3-4 guys? But about the pacing and plot? Pff- You just lack the time to answer them all!

7. - Top - End - #337
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Clarifying that Deegan surname issue is going to consume the whole strip, isn't it?

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    My opinion: Today's comic actually explains a lot about Dominic's sociopathic tendencies. I mean, this goes beyond harmless pranking. Turn your sword into a snake, it might be surprising, but you'll eventually come to the logical conclusion that it's an illusion given the context. No, it's the last two panels that make this brilliant. It isn't just pranking, it's messing with his day to day life. Making him think some people are other people, probably pulling some of that dream within a dream stuff, until Donovan doesn't know where he is or who he can trust. As a backstory for Donovan and Miranda, this is at once 1) unexpected and 2) makes way too much sense. Well done.
    So by this logic, that guy from Inception's kids are going to turn out like Dominic and Greg? (And Jacob but **** him.)

Yeesh. Now I hope he was dreaming.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

For anyone with some graphical skill:

(Three weeks later)

Luna: Wow, I'm glad we clarified that issue with the scarf, your entire family tree, your late aunt's favorite color and some other topics.

Dominic: Yes, it was great, but I can't help thinking that we are missing something...

Three battle casters, the beast and Celesto: AHEM!!!

Luna: Oh, right! We still haven't discussed about the catering in the wedding!

Dominic: Yes, that must be it, thanks Luna, you are the greatest!

10. - Top - End - #340
    Orc in the Playground

Just finished the "Storm Of Souls" arc. Yay!

I'm quite surprised.I'm actually liking this webcomic even more now.While the art is still bad IMHO(wish Mookie would get another artist to do the drawing while he focus on the writing), I think the story is pretty good(a vast improvement compared to the previous arcs).I'll probably need to elaborate on those thoughts.

I still don't see any justifiable snark (this arc even erased my former grievance over the plot of past arcs).Thould could mean that I have really poor taste and expectation or I haven't reached the alleged "downfall" yet(wonder which one is that?).

Addendum: I actually posted this in the old thread.I should thank TheArsenal for pointing me here.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

There is definitely something inherently cowardly about being a jerkass and then hiding behind anonymity. It's definitely not something I can respect.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Nourjan View Post

I'm quite surprised.I'm actually liking this webcomic even more now.While the art is still bad IMHO(wish Mookie would get another artist to do the drawing while he focus on the writing), I think the story is pretty good(a vast improvement compared to the previous arcs).I'll probably need to elaborate on those thoughts.

I still don't see any justifiable snark (this arc even erased my former grievance over the plot of past arcs).Thould could mean that I have really poor taste and expectation or I haven't reached the alleged "downfall" yet(wonder which one is that?).

Addendum: I actually posted this in the old thread.I should thank TheArsenal for pointing me here.

There is definitely something inherently cowardly about being a jerkass and then hiding behind anonymity. It's definitely not something I can respect.
    It's like looking into a mirror.

Five Six and a half years ago Jesus Christ is that how long I've been reading this?!
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2011-11-30 at 04:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

12. - Top - End - #342
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Just a tip. Is that your sig on the bottom? You know:
    Because there is a function of autosigging you know?

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nourjan View Post

SoS was the last good arc.

When you read Snowsong, at the end it's revealed Dominic was pulling all the strings, his behavior was just to help convince Snowsong he wasn't bad, and he enabled his brother's childish tights-and-logo superhero fantasies.

And when you read March across Maltak, think "Mighty Whitey saves the Native Americans". Credit for that goes to Oracle Hunter.

One last thing. Your spaces are weird. There are sometimes two, sometimes one, and after sentences sometimes zero. Even if English is your second language, which I don't know, it's no excuse for the spacing.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-11-30 at 05:04 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

14. - Top - End - #344

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Five Six and a half years ago Jesus Christ is that how long I've been reading this?!
    I can attest to just over 8 years, kiddo.

"Oh God, what have I done!?" just about covers it, I think.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

15. - Top - End - #345

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal View Post
    This...does make sense! This is where Dom inherited his meddle gene.

Imagine what hatred popa dom could cause!
    Lunamic "Mom, Dad! This is Smegery my boyfriend! We are getting married!'

Dom "Interesting, hmmm. Where you aware of the fact that he wet his bed till he was 12, has been seen frequently bragging about how any girl of his will know her place is in the kitchen barefoot, or in his bed naked, and will be fired from his job then blacklisted for embezzlement in 3 years?"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #346

NecromancerGuy

There's plenty in SoS that could be criticized, but it's a relatively "good" arc compared to what comes later.

SoS is back when DD was at least close to on par with just amateur basic uninspired genre fiction.

EDIT: To be fair though, VoD was probably the "best" arc, and SoS was at least a step up from the Szark/Errosus arc.

And half the reason everything regarding Szark is terrible is because Terracciano thinks it's some great progressive attempt at portraying homosexuals better than most comics/media do.
    Last edited by Bobikus; 2011-11-30 at 05:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, so the Deegans are a long line of trolls.

...And I just saw the photo he posted from the wedding.

I wish I hadn't. I really do.
    I thought it was cute, and I agree with him. Of course, his kids are gonna mock him mercilessly for it one day, but isn't that what those critters are for, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal View Post
    So you will answer- the very SAME DAY about a small issue sent by...3-4 guys? But about the pacing and plot? Pff- You just lack the time to answer them all!
    Eh. We don't know if he was planning on explaining it anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

So by this logic, that guy from Inception's kids are going to turn out like Dominic and Greg? (And Jacob but **** him.)

Yeesh. Now I hope he was dreaming.
    Well, it's not genetic or anything. It's just that the Deegans are very family oriented, so Dominic probably knew his grandpa fairly well, and, heck, probably looked up to him. Here was a man who shared interests with Dominic, rather unlike his father who was all about the sword and looking hot. Not only that, but Grandaddy Deegan was a man of power, someone who could and did make other, lesser men his playthings, a position no doubt appealing to Dominic, who was constantly bullied in school, unable to defend himself. Though Dominic loves, and has a good relationship with, his father, here is his true male role model.

It's all coming together.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

19. - Top - End - #349
    Bugbear in the Playground

I thought the themed wedding idea was adorable too. I'd totally do something whimsical for my own wedding to, altho that might piss off my traditionalist relatives.

20. - Top - End - #350

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Clarifying that Deegan surname issue is going to consume the whole strip, isn't it?
    It looks like Mookie Shark is on tomorrow's menu.

21. - Top - End - #351

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    You leave the ponies out of this!
    Agreed. Sacrificing an entire plane of existence for one person would be a monstrous act... Anyone wanna take bets on when Dominic will end up doing just that?
    Last edited by AgentofOdd; 2011-11-30 at 08:46 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    It looks like Mookie Shark is on tomorrow's menu.
    I'm in awe at how many levels Mookie can move away from the plot. Originally I was expecting a Jayden arc, which sounds like filler but could theoretically tie into the plot. I was joking about a wedding arc since that was the most inappropriate thing I could think of for right now. What I didnt expect was a flashback arc to Momgan and Dadgan's wedding.

Heck, Dominic wasn't even there! Why is he narrating all of this?!

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    Agreed. Sacrificing an entire plane of existence for one person would be a monstrous act... Anyone wanna take bets on when Dominic will end up doing just that?
    It's depressingly plausible. Dominic might end up exploding Hell so everyone ends up in the Nakta or Heaven. Or Celesto sacrifices himself to do it and Luna was standing nearby, so she's crowned the prohpet of the new Lunaian church.

23. - Top - End - #353

I'm in awe at how many levels Mookie can move away from the plot. Originally I was expecting a Jayden arc, which sounds like filler but could theoretically tie into the plot. I was joking about a wedding arc since that was the most inappropriate thing I could think of for right now. What I didnt expect was a flashback arc to Momgan and Dadgan's wedding.

Heck, Dominic wasn't even there! Why is he narrating all of this?!
    I was mainly referring to how whenever Mookie tries to explain a plot hole (like Miranda's last name) he ends up just making it worse.

As for Mookie moving away from the plot, I fully expect this arc to be pointless, rambling drivel that has no effect on anything. It's supposed to pad out the end of the year, and nothing more.

It's depressingly plausible. Dominic might end up exploding Hell so everyone ends up in the Nakta or Heaven. Or Celesto sacrifices himself to do it and Luna was standing nearby, so she's crowned the prohpet of the new Lunaian church.
    Maybe he'll blow up the Plane of Destruction and obliviate all of the Lobster Police, thus gaining all of their combined power and becoming He-Lobster-Dom. Followed by a week of talking heads explaining how it was the right thing to do and a newspost mentioning all of the hate mail he got and saying that he regrets nothing.
    Last edited by Mr. McGician; 2011-11-30 at 10:13 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    I thought it was cute, and I agree with him. Of course, his kids are gonna mock him mercilessly for it one day, but isn't that what those critters are for, anyway?
    CUTE!? Wat. How. Why. My brain. Ow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

25. - Top - End - #355

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    I was mainly referring to how whenever Mookie tries to explain a plot hole (like Miranda's last name) he ends up just making it worse.
    I expect the explanation is what we already know. Mookie needs to outdo himself to Mookie Shark this one. Not that that is impossible mind you.

(It is a little backward though since "Donovan" and "Deegan" are both Irish names, while "Miranda" was made-up by Shakespeare for The Tempest..)

As for Mookie moving away from the plot, I fully expect this arc to be pointless, rambling drivel that has no effect on anything. It's supposed to pad out the end of the year, and nothing more.
    The bizarre thing with DD is I expect this flashback arc to be far more entertaining than a guaranteed dull plot arc.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-11-30 at 11:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356

BlueWizardGirl

Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

I hate soap operas.

But it could be worse- they could start singing.
    Last edited by Feddlefew; 2011-12-01 at 12:47 AM.

27. - Top - End - #357

Quote Originally Posted by Feddlefew View Post
    Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

I hate soap operas.

I think you have it right. This does feel like the stilted dialogue of a daytime soap. Also welcome. Though I must say, mamamama Deegan is pretty cutting in her remarks. She's not really being unfair to Donovan either.
    Last edited by colonelslime; 2011-12-01 at 12:54 AM.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Wait wait wait wait.

Wait.

There are elves in Dominic Deegan?

What elves? I don't remember any elves.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feddlefew View Post
    Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

I hate soap operas.

Man, the Snark Thread is mighty in its prediction. We did spend a whole strip explaining that Donovan took his wife's name

Also: Mookie, that is not guilt. Guilt is not reminding an orphan (who does not know his parents) that he has no "real" family. Nor is it nastily describing the normal course of dating. That is shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
    Guilt: (2) a feeling of responsibility or remorse for some offense, crime, wrong, etc., whether real or imagined.
    I'll give Momanda that she created an imagined offense, but it is pretty easy to fix. "So you dated a bunch of girls and settled down with the one you loved. How is that different?" I'm not sure that lacking a name is an "offense" Donovan could have committed.

Additionally: Panel 1 Luna is my favorite Luna -- the dumb one that feeds Dominic excuses to Expo Speak
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

30. - Top - End - #360

GnomeWizardGuy

All of this is starting to be a cop-out, and I'm not talking about the lack of main plot (honestly that's expected now). We all know how Miranda and Donovan's marriage turn out. It's far more dramatic to have tension between Luna and Miranda. Maybe Miranda starts to think a Travoria's trying to marry her way into power, or maybe Luna starts thinking having a domineering mother-in-law who is also an archmage might have serious downsides. Throwing all the conflict into the flashback marriage arc is weak, and I'm sure it's going to be used to show how perfect and special all the current crop of Deegans are about Dom and Luna's wedding. Bleeeeeuuurrgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    There are elves in Dominic Deegan?

What elves? I don't remember any elves.
    In Storm of Souls the former Champion of Law was an elf. Or he might have changed to Champion of Chaos. I can't remember; that whole arc was confusing. Rak Malish or something. The vacation arc also had the elf tree village as one of their stops but no-one remembers anything about that arc except the dragon, fat naked Rillian and the isle of beer, bears, boobs and beards.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Also: Mookie, that is not guilt. Guilt is not reminding an orphan (who does not know his parents) that he has no "real" family. Nor is it nastily describing the normal course of dating. That is shame.
    It is guilt if Donovan did woo Miranda for the status. But if so, it's deserved guilt.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-12-01 at 01:31 AM.