New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread VIII: Ten Thousand Playgrounders Post As One!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    For the most part, animals aren't that much tougher - yes, particularly large animals have been known to take gunshots to the face and whatnot without going down, but something like that really seems like it should be represented by having more health levels, not because it was inherently harder to damage.
    People have been known to take (small) gunshots to the face. I don't have personal experience, but I imagine it hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread VIII: Ten Thousand Playgrounders Post As One!

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    Animal Stats: Things ETP Will Fix in 2.5 Hopefully
    Not yet. 2.5 consists of system-level fixes for combat and social combat, as well as to affected Charms. Animal stats are something I'd like to eventually rewrite, though. Maybe as my contribution to Lunar errata.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Since I'm feeling a slacker for not making it sooner, and since I'm feeling the holiday mood of giving, I give you hopefully my only working Lunar charm for Christmas…

Silver Chameleon Framing Technique
    Cost: 4m
    Mins: Appearance 3, Essence 2
    Type: Instant
    Keywords: Combo-OK, Illusion, Shaping.
    Duration: One Scene
    Prerequisite Charms: Hide of the Cunning Hunter
    The Lunar Exalted sometimes like others to share their appearance when needed. The Lunar points at a person making Lunar Tattoos appear on their skin and a Tell manifest somewhere on their body, making them stand out from everyone else. This illusion costs one willpower to see through.

Please be good, please be good please be good...
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2011-12-13 at 02:43 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

That is too specific for a Lunar Charm. Then again, most Lunar Charms are too specific to be Lunar Charms, so take that for what its worth.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Troll in the Playground

Shouldn't it have the shaping keyword?
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Shouldn't it have the shaping keyword?
    No. It is just an illusion.

but fine, I'll add it so that it can be completely useless and fall to any shaping defense even though its just an illusion, good idea.

edit: see? edited.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2011-12-13 at 02:44 PM.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Troll in the Playground

The Brass Vice
    Artifact ●●
    Sapience ●●

Spoiler
    Show
    This artifact is a leather overbust corset, made of a naturally pale-gold demon hide, and supported by a network of Malfean brass boning. Its craftsmanship is of an obviously masterful quality, although it lacks any sort of extra frills or decoration. Much like the brass layers of the Demon City, it lifts and presses together with astounding prowess.

The first owner of the Brass Vice was an Earth Aspected Dragonblood of House Mnemon during the third century of the Realm's rule. Born and raised in a relatively small satrapy, upon her Exaltation, she was dispatched to the Blessed Isle to receive proper training in the use of her new powers. But not before her father, the satrap, had his demon laborers and artisans construct this artifact as a gift to her. It was his concern that she would be unprepared for the treacheries of big city life that were simply not present in their more rural setting.

Many decades later, the original owner would be killed on a diplomatic mission to a court of Terrestrial Gods disputing the Realm's hold in their local forest set upon the Threshold. It remained in the coffers of that court for several months leading up to a merciless retributive raid lead by Immaculate Monks that left no survivors or loot in its wake.

As a demonic artifact, the Brass Vice was disdained by most of the Monks whose teachings had been from monasteries on the Blessed Isle. However, one among them was happy to have it, heralding from a sect whose stance on demons had room to include forced servitude.

For the next few centuries, the magical corset changed hands among the Monks of that particular sect, based in a threshold city near the Scavenger Lands. Once the details of its various powers were puzzled out, it was requisitioned to those whose business happened to take them into the heart of the many corrupt cities of the East.

That is, until 764 RY, when its wielder was struck down during an unrelated mission in Thorns by the suddenly present hordes of the Mask of Winters. Following this, it became the trophy of a powerful Ghostblooded warrior and loyal servant of the Deathlords.

Nearing present day, the Brass Vice has found its most recent home, as its ghostly wearer was struck down in a back alley of Nexus during a barfight with someone that the Ghostblooded was not aware was a newly incarnated Solar God-King.

However, that Solar was already heavily laden with a multitude of 5-dot Artifacts (including a few suits of Celestial Battle Armor) from character creation, and consequently only mumbled something about "...only 2 dots? What a piece of garbage..." before tossing it into a nearby bin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Powers:
    The Brass Vice requires an attunement of 5 motes of Essence. It may be worn unattuned more or less without difficulty (although, obviously, without access to its powers). However, the attuned corset is significantly more comfortable and somehow manages not to restrict one's breathing overly much.

Furthermore, the corset magically secures its wearer's possessions. The base difficulty to successfully pickpocket the wearer is 5, regardless of where on their person the item is kept, and the wearer adds 4 dice to their (Wits + Awareness) to notice the attempt.

Against Manipulation-based social attacks meant to swindle the wearer into buying something for more than its worth, the wearer's mental dodge defense value increases by 2.

As a Hellforged Wonder, the Brass Vice inflicts an Urge upon its wearer. "Control this city with a web of contacts, favors owed, and filthy lucre." Actions taken to further this Urge gain a 2-die bonus.

In addition, the wearer has access to three spirit charms. Listed page numbers are from the Roll of Glorious Divinity. Due to the nature of the demon from which the charms are drawn, they only function within the bounds of a city. As a lesser soul of Malfeas, this demon is bound by his definition of 'city' - therefore see The Imperfection of the Demon City (pg111 of the MoEP: Infernals).

Landscape Travel (pg157) - The user doubles their land movement speed and may walk on the walls and ceilings of buildings and other artificial structures.

Mirror of the Infinite Wardrobe (pg155) - While active, creatures with a Dodge Mental Defense Value equal to or less than 9 perceive the user as an inconspicuous and inconsequential feature of the city around them, unless they pay 4 Willpower or succeed on a difficulty 4 (Perception + Occult) roll. Others need only pay 1 point of Willpower.

Memory Mirror (pg149) - The user determines the target's desires; what it wants most of all. The user adds one automatic success against creatures of Essence 5 or lower.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    No. It is just an illusion.

but fine, I'll add it so that it can be completely useless and fall to any shaping defense even though its just an illusion, good idea.

edit: see? edited.
    That way it will be just as effective as every other lunar charm.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    That way it will be just as effective as every other lunar charm.
    yes and I'll be perfectly fine with that. I'm glad that you are here to help improve upon what I make and critique them for mistakes.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Troll in the Playground

We really should have sarcasm tags on this board.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #491
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm okay with it not being Shaping, but a roll and how to oppose it would be cool.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

oh, I was being sarcastic back.

as for roll……hmmm….well….perception plus awareness? that sounds logical, but how much would the threshold difficulty be?

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    The Brass Vice
    Artifact ●●
    Sapience ●●

Spoiler
    Show
    This artifact is a leather overbust corset, made of a naturally pale-gold demon hide, and supported by a network of Malfean brass boning. Its craftsmanship is of an obviously masterful quality, although it lacks any sort of extra frills or decoration. Much like the brass layers of the Demon City, it lifts and presses together with astounding prowess.

The first owner of the Brass Vice was an Earth Aspected Dragonblood of House Mnemon during the third century of the Realm's rule. Born and raised in a relatively small satrapy, upon her Exaltation, she was dispatched to the Blessed Isle to receive proper training in the use of her new powers. But not before her father, the satrap, had his demon laborers and artisans construct this artifact as a gift to her. It was his concern that she would be unprepared for the treacheries of big city life that were simply not present in their more rural setting.

Many decades later, the original owner would be killed on a diplomatic mission to a court of Terrestrial Gods disputing the Realm's hold in their local forest set upon the Threshold. It remained in the coffers of that court for several months leading up to a merciless retributive raid lead by Immaculate Monks that left no survivors or loot in its wake.

As a demonic artifact, the Brass Vice was disdained by most of the Monks whose teachings had been from monasteries on the Blessed Isle. However, one among them was happy to have it, heralding from a sect whose stance on demons had room to include forced servitude.

For the next few centuries, the magical corset changed hands among the Monks of that particular sect, based in a threshold city near the Scavenger Lands. Once the details of its various powers were puzzled out, it was requisitioned to those whose business happened to take them into the heart of the many corrupt cities of the East.

That is, until 764 RY, when its wielder was struck down during an unrelated mission in Thorns by the suddenly present hordes of the Mask of Winters. Following this, it became the trophy of a powerful Ghostblooded warrior and loyal servant of the Deathlords.

Nearing present day, the Brass Vice has found its most recent home, as its ghostly wearer was struck down in a back alley of Nexus during a barfight with someone that the Ghostblooded was not aware was a newly incarnated Solar God-King.

However, that Solar was already heavily laden with a multitude of 5-dot Artifacts (including a few suits of Celestial Battle Armor) from character creation, and consequently only mumbled something about "...only 2 dots? What a piece of garbage..." before tossing it into a nearby bin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Powers:
    The Brass Vice requires an attunement of 5 motes of Essence. It may be worn unattuned more or less without difficulty (although, obviously, without access to its powers). However, the attuned corset is significantly more comfortable and somehow manages not to restrict one's breathing overly much.

Furthermore, the corset magically secures its wearer's possessions. The base difficulty to successfully pickpocket the wearer is 5, regardless of where on their person the item is kept, and the wearer adds 4 dice to their (Wits + Awareness) to notice the attempt.

Against Manipulation-based social attacks meant to swindle the wearer into buying something for more than its worth, the wearer's mental dodge defense value increases by 2.

As a Hellforged Wonder, the Brass Vice inflicts an Urge upon its wearer. "Control this city with a web of contacts, favors owed, and filthy lucre." Actions taken to further this Urge gain a 2-die bonus.

In addition, the wearer has access to three spirit charms. Listed page numbers are from the Roll of Glorious Divinity. Due to the nature of the demon from which the charms are drawn, they only function within the bounds of a city. As a lesser soul of Malfeas, this demon is bound by his definition of 'city' - therefore see The Imperfection of the Demon City (pg111 of the MoEP: Infernals).

Landscape Travel (pg157) - The user doubles their land movement speed and may walk on the walls and ceilings of buildings and other artificial structures.

Mirror of the Infinite Wardrobe (pg155) - While active, creatures with a Dodge Mental Defense Value equal to or less than 9 perceive the user as an inconspicuous and inconsequential feature of the city around them, unless they pay 4 Willpower or succeed on a difficulty 4 (Perception + Occult) roll. Others need only pay 1 point of Willpower.

Memory Mirror (pg149) - The user determines the target's desires; what it wants most of all. The user adds one automatic success against creatures of Essence 5 or lower.
    ...a Calibration Present for Lix Lorn I assume?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

14. - Top - End - #494
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    That's not really what I was thinking. Does Lix have frequent mugging/pickpocketing problems?

My train of thought was:
    "I wanna make an artifact. But what hasn't been done to death yet?"
    "Hey, I should make some artifact underwear."
    "Its definitely got to be demon underwear..."
    "If its a corset, I can make a pun about lifting and pressing!"
    "But I really don't want to make a feminine item that gives +Appearance and other social bonuses. That's so cliche."
    "Hm, it's Malfeas, so I could always do smashy and/or burny stuff. But that's way overdone too. Dancing, perhaps; but that's back to the girlie social bonuses thing."
    "City bonuses! It could be made out of some kind of mobster demon."
    "Mobster demon underwear. It all makes sense now."

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    That's not really what I was thinking. Does Lix have frequent mugging/pickpocketing problems?
    I am getting spoken about when I haven't even posted in the thread.

THIS IS BOTH AWESOME AND TERRIFYING
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Bugbear in the Playground

...neat little charm... I like it. I agree that instructions to counter it would be appreciated.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

ok….but the edited version probably won't be good:

Cost: 4m
    Mins: Appearance 3, Essence 2
    Type: Instant
    Keywords: Combo-OK, Illusion
    Duration: One Scene
    Prerequisite Charms: Hide of the Cunning Hunter
    The Lunar Exalted sometimes like others to share their appearance when needed. The Lunar points at a person making Lunar Tattoos appear on their skin and a Tell manifest somewhere on their body, to recognize this as an illusion one must make a (Perception+Awareness) roll at difficulty (essence X 2), this illusion costs one willpower to see through.

should I decrease it difficulty 3? or take out the willpower cost?

edit: now as I realize it, the strange thing about Lunar castes breaking is that its too consistent….if its the Wyld, why would every Lunar become a chimera? why wouldn't some Lunars gain something beneficial and some get something not beneficial? I'm sorry if this kicks off a debate or whatever, I just realized the strange thing about that.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2011-12-13 at 06:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Barbarian in the Playground

Charm: I'd make the difficulty (essence x 2) or something. A static one becomes useless at higher levels.

Edit: The problem with the breaking of the castes goes deeper than that really... Why did they break AT ALL? Exaltations are indestructible. The most that can be done is minor changes. (see: abyssals, which are just a flipped switch. And infernals, which are solars with some easily removed yozi gunk) And yet we are expected to believe that every last lunar exaltation was fundamentally BROKEN just by being out in the wyld too long? You know, that place they were created to defend against?

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

yea….but why did the Wyld break them at all in the first place? its too consistent, why weren't some y'know, altered in other ways other than being broken? like acquiring extra charms when you Exalt, or giving you an extra arm when you Exalt? or doing something weird with the Great Curse? its too consistent for the Wyld for all 300 Exaltations to experience the same breaking of the caste and chimerism.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnar View Post
    Edit: The problem with the breaking of the castes goes deeper than that really... Why did they break AT ALL? Exaltations are indestructible. The most that can be done is minor changes. (see: abyssals, which are just a flipped switch. And infernals, which are solars with some easily removed yozi gunk) And yet we are expected to believe that every last lunar exaltation was fundamentally BROKEN just by being out in the wyld too long? You know, that place they were created to defend against?
    It's a question of semantics. People call it "breaking" the castes, and it has a connotation of negativity.

Think of it as "freeing" the castes. Reuniting with the Wyld allowed the Lunars to transcend, if only slightly, as a whole, and throw off the unnecessary bonds that forced them to conform to certain ideals. Before, they were bound by their pathetic patron's phases, but now they have taken the power into their own hands. They, themselves, may create and dictate their own castes, unlike the Solars whose castes were dictated to them before their birth.

Some say they may now "suffer" chimerism. But I say they have the "option" to become chimerae. An option they may not have had before. Some might think that's a bad way to go, but not every Lunar thinks so. It's an option, and having lots of options sounds like a fairly Lunar thing, don't you think?

And perhaps it is not the only option! Perhaps there are a multitude of other options for the Casteless that we may have simply not seen yet, because it has not occurred to any particular Lunar yet. Either way, the glass is half full, if you ask me.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    Not yet. 2.5 consists of system-level fixes for combat and social combat, as well as to affected Charms. Animal stats are something I'd like to eventually rewrite, though. Maybe as my contribution to Lunar errata.
    Oh cool you're still here. I'd like it but really any ST can come up with numbers on the fly. It'd be nice, but far from necessary.

~

22. - Top - End - #502

Silver Chameleon Framing Technique[EDITED]
    Essence, even scaling Essence, is a generally good Difficulty to set for overcoming an Exalted character's charm.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2011-12-13 at 06:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Barbarian in the Playground

Think of it as "freeing" the castes. Reuniting with the Wyld allowed the Lunars to transcend, if only slightly, as a whole, and throw off the unnecessary bonds that forced them to conform to certain ideals. Before, they were bound by their pathetic patron's phases, but now they have taken the power into their own hands. They, themselves, may create and dictate their own castes, unlike the Solars whose castes were dictated to them before their birth.
    Actually... Lunars picked their own castes originally. They cycled through them with the moon's phases when they first exalted, before settling into one that fit them best. The wyld took 5 options and reduced them to 3. With external tattoos needed to actually pick.

Seriously, why did the wyld effect them AT ALL? Sure, there are ways to use that wyld spark they have now to their advantage... but the point is, it changed the lunars against their will. Which is meant to be impossible for anything to do to an exaltation.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Troll in the Playground

Seriously, why did the wyld effect them AT ALL?
    Poor writing, that's all.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

It's a question of semantics. People call it "breaking" the castes, and it has a connotation of negativity.

Some say they may now "suffer" chimerism. But I say they have the "option" to become chimerae. An option they may not have had before. Some might think that's a bad way to go, but not every Lunar thinks so. It's an option, and having lots of options sounds like a fairly Lunar thing, don't you think?

And perhaps it is not the only option! Perhaps there are a multitude of other options for the Casteless that we may have simply not seen yet, because it has not occurred to any particular Lunar yet. Either way, the glass is half full, if you ask me.
    yea, I'm currently thinking of alternate options of Casteless: like instead of Chimerism, a Casteless could have some background that allows them to purchase charms and knacks at the cost of negative mutations, or learning SMA's at the cost of gaining paradox, or gaining Protocols at the cost of instead gaining Clarity…..or maybe these would be bad ideas….I have a hard time telling the difference sometimes….

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    *Fanboyish glee*

Can you tell us anything more about 2.5? The White Wolf forums always get all the spoilers, can you release one here?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

I have one:
    "Achieving the highest rank in the Guild is no mean feat. One must lie, cheat, steal, murder, and accrue more capital than any one mortal should ever amass and still be considered to espouse humanity. In short, one must win an election."

an excerpt from Masters of Jade, quoted from hatewheel, has its own thread on the White Wolf forums.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Troll in the Playground

Actually... Lunars picked their own castes originally. They cycled through them with the moon's phases when they first exalted, before settling into one that fit them best. The wyld took 5 options and reduced them to 3. With external tattoos needed to actually pick.
    The Wyld didn't take 5 options and reduce them to 3. The Wyld took away five constraints. At one point, there were absolutely no Castes. Then this freedom gave Lunars the ability to make their own Castes. Unfortunately, the Lunars of the Silver Pact decided to recreate two in the pale image of previous Castes. But they made a new one!

Sure, the simpletons of the Silver Pact are stuck in tradition, and only feel safe in doling out these three Castes. But that doesn't mean that other Lunars couldn't innovate and make their own, with their own Caste Attributes and Anima Powers and what have you.

Either that, or we could sit around and moan and complain to no actual benefit. That's actually a perfectly valid course of action. One that I can get behind (I'm not being sarcastic, I promise). Either way - I don't really care about Lunars. I have no stock one way or the other whether they suck, but I think this is more interesting. And while Exalted has a rich history of choosing the suck path over the interesting one, this is my two cents anyway.

29. - Top - End - #509

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    *Fanboyish glee*

Can you tell us anything more about 2.5? The White Wolf forums always get all the spoilers, can you release one here?
    You could just read the White Wolf forums.

But, nah, I don't think anything of real importance has been released about 2.5, beyond what it will contain.

The last big news I heard was that the martial arts system was getting a complete overhaul, to be debuted in Scroll of the Monk 2: Monk Harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    Either that, or we could sit around and moan and complain to no actual benefit. That's actually a perfectly valid course of action. One that I can get behind (I'm not being sarcastic, I promise). Either way - I don't really care about Lunars. I have no stock one way or the other whether they suck, but I think this is more interesting. And while Exalted has a rich history of choosing the suck path over the interesting one, this is my two cents anyway.
    I would far prefer to just say that the breaking of the castes never happened, Wyld Taint is not actually a thing, and that Chimerism is a natural path of evolution for Lunar Exalted, albeit usually not a desirable one.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    I would far prefer to just say that the breaking of the castes never happened, Wyld Taint is not actually a thing, and that Chimerism is a natural path of evolution for Lunar Exalted, albeit usually not a desirable one.
    That works too.