New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The General Gaming Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    For RPGs I reccomend: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Devil survivor 2, and any of the Etrian Odyssey games.
    Yes.

The most yes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burner28 View Post
    I'm planning on getting a 3DS. What games should I buy (I like RPGs, Adventure and Fighting Games)?
    Do you have a regular DS, or would games for that be new to you? A lot of the games suggested in the previous posts were just regular DS games.

For the 3DS itself, there's a remake of Tales of the Abyss, one of my favorite games of all time, so I have to recommend that. Also Devil Survivor Overclocked, a remake of the original Devil Survivor, if you didn't play the original. Plus of course the remakes of Star Fox 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, if you liked those or have never played them. For actual non-remake titles there's Super Mario 3D Land (though honestly I was kind of ambivalent toward that one), and Kid Icarus: Uprising (which I still haven't gotten to playing yet but hear is every bit as good as it looked, and it was the game that convinced me to buy a 3DS).

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Do you have a regular DS, or would games for that be new to you? A lot of the games suggested in the previous posts were just regular DS games.

For the 3DS itself, there's a remake of Tales of the Abyss, one of my favorite games of all time, so I have to recommend that. Also Devil Survivor Overclocked, a remake of the original Devil Survivor, if you didn't play the original. Plus of course the remakes of Star Fox 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, if you liked those or have never played them. For actual non-remake titles there's Super Mario 3D Land (though honestly I was kind of ambivalent toward that one), and Kid Icarus: Uprising (which I still haven't gotten to playing yet but hear is every bit as good as it looked, and it was the game that convinced me to buy a 3DS).

Zevox
    Another note for the 3DS, though they won't be out for quite some time, will be that Etrian Odyssey 4 and Shin Megami Tensei 4 were both announced for it. It's almost tempting enough for me to upgrade.
    Total War: 2126 - GM (IC OOC)

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

Also unmentioned is Resident Evil: Revelaitons (), which is also an excellent game.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Troll in the Playground

If you like shoot'em'ups and action games, get Kid Icarus Uprising. For me at least, it's being one of those games I play in short bursts (higher difficulties get tiring to play due to the controls), but which always manage to have me grinning like an idiot. It's fast, it's fun, it's funny, and it's precisely as easy or hard as you want it.

It also helps if you ever played the original - the sheer caliber of the nostalgia in some of the references can drop an old gamer at three hundred paces!

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

So, I hopped onto BlazBlue's online play today. Went okay - I expected to be quite rusty after having not played for something like a year, and I was. Won against some pretty bad players rather easily, mostly got my ass kicked otherwise, but eh, gotta play to get better after all.

I did try out a couple of characters besides my main. One being Lambda, who I did quite poorly with - I just don't have her zoning down yet, and have no response once players get in on me. The other being Platinum, who I didn't do much better with, but my god is she fun. I can only do pretty basic stuff with her, but I can't help but love how silly and lighthearted her moves are, like when I bop enemies with a giant cat rattle that has reach so long it may as well be a projectile. And there was this absolutely hilarious moment where one opponent threw out a desperation super, and I blocked it and killed him on the punish. What was so funny about that? Platinum's line when she blocked the attack: "Weaksauce!" That was too perfect of a response for a game-losing mistake like that. And I've just gotta love her win pose where she randomly conjure a merry-go-round horse and rides it around her opponents' fallen body while happy carnival music plays.

Yeah, I have to play Platinum, even I can't learn her advanced combos. She's just way too much fun.

Oh, I also got some games today, on account of it being my birthday. Street Fighter x Tekken, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, and Dragon's Dogma. Which is going to make very, very hard for me to decide what to play...

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

7. - Top - End - #877
    Troll in the Playground

Been playing Amnesia: Justine for a little bit every day. It still scares the bjeezus out of me, but it shows just how well made it is, if I can be scared so easily by it. This is coming from the guy who beat Dead Space 2 on the hardest difficulty, mind you! This game is really freaking scary!

8. - Top - End - #878

Dead Space wasn't scary, it was occasionally surprising. There was no horror, just the occasional "Boo! Gotcha!" moments.
    Last edited by fred dref; 2012-06-02 at 04:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fred dref View Post
    Dead Space wasn't scary, it was occasionally surprising. There was no horror, just the occasional "Boo! Gotcha!" moments.
    That is exactly what I meant. Dead Space was advertised as a terrifying game, and it wasn't. In fact, it seems that these guys are the only devs who know how to make a legitimately scary game.

10. - Top - End - #880

You used Dead Space as an example of a scary game, and said that Amnesia must be a scary game since it's scarier than Dead Space. It's not a very good example. It's like saying Amnesia is scarier than Diablo 2 (since Diablo 1 was legitimately creepy the first time I played through).

11. - Top - End - #881
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fred dref View Post
    You used Dead Space as an example of a scary game, and said that Amnesia must be a scary game since it's scarier than Dead Space. It's not a very good example. It's like saying Amnesia is scarier than Diablo 2 (since Diablo 1 was legitimately creepy the first time I played through).
    Let's put it this way, because this isn't something I want to get into: Amnesia is so scary, that I can't really find a game to compare it to. Some games gave me chills, but Amnesia absolutely terrified me.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Let's put it this way, because this isn't something I want to get into: Amnesia is so scary, that I can't really find a game to compare it to. Some games gave me chills, but Amnesia absolutely terrified me.
    Legit description.

Amnesia for me is so scary I didn't even get to the real scary parts before I had to stop from all the shaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Troll in the Playground

A fair point, actually. I can't think of much else in the same league except Penumbra and The Cradle (a level from Thief: Deadly Shadows).

Even System Shock 2 doesn't actually scare me for some reason.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    A fair point, actually. I can't think of much else in the same league except Penumbra and The Cradle (a level from Thief: Deadly Shadows).

Never Played it, but the early installments of the Silent Hill games, perhaps?

Also, plugging My Endless Space Alpha Let's Play- To Cover All the Stars with Me, where I play through the game as a race of egomanic clones.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

15. - Top - End - #885
    Troll in the Playground

It's funny you'd mention Penumbra, considering that was the same team who made Amnesia.

As for System Shock 2, yeah, that game is impossible to be truly scared by. When you get to the psychic monkeys, it stops being scary. It's just weird by then. The mooks (especially cyborg midwives) are eerie, however.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Troll in the Playground

It's funny you'd mention Penumbra, considering that was the same team who made Amnesia.
    Actually, I'm fully aware of this. Played Penumbra long before Amnesia was out, still a bit sad that it's nowhere near as widely played.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

17. - Top - End - #887
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I don't think System Shock 2 was ever meant to be scary, was it? Although there was one truly scary moment, at least for me the first time I played it:

Spoiler
    Show

The moment when you get to the office of the person who's been directing you for the first part of the game and find her corpse, and then SHODAN pops up and reveals you've been doing her bidding all along...

Having said that, I'm maybe a bit odd in what scares me--I find an actual physical "ohgoshI'mgoingtodie" threat to my character in a game to be far more terrifying than any amount of thuds or odd noises. The only bit in Amnesia that I can remember being scared by was when I had no choice but to run away from one of the wandering nasties and hope I outran it long enough to survive!
    Last edited by factotum; 2012-06-03 at 02:26 AM.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Troll in the Playground

That spoilered bit right there was such a shocking moment when I first played the game. Mostly because I was ten at the time, and that thought never occurred to me.

If you're wondering how I had SS2 at the age of ten, ask the same people who let me get Resident Evil 4 at 12, or an Xbox at 13. My parents know violence in games doesn't affect anyone any worse than a horror film, which quite frankly, doesn't really affect anyone adversely at all.

I think that's a good discussion topic. Moments in games that made you go "OMGWTFBBQ?!"

19. - Top - End - #889
    Colossus in the Playground

I found System Shock 2 very scary. I was maybe 11 when I played it. The whole idea of the Many, SHODAN herself, all the mutants and such creatures hit pretty hard at that point. Resident Evil 2, also. Oh, and Alien vs. Predator as Marine alone in a dark room (obviously all of the above need to be played alone in a dark room at the heart of winter past midnight). Of course, it's different now; that was the time when I could've been scared by terrible horror movies like Braindead too. Amnesia kinda works still though.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ogre in the Playground

EVERYTHING is scary when you are 11.

I couldn't play past the third mission in Homeworld. Billions of people had just died, and the tens of thousands left were in the process of dying because I wasn't fast enough to save them, and Adagio For Strings was playing. I just couldn't play at that point. I broke down in tears.

I was 9.
    My Twitter

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    EVERYTHING is scary when you are 11.
    Diablo 1. Nuff said.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Troll in the Playground

Ghosts in Witchaven?

That was only game that ever made me (almost) jump.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

23. - Top - End - #893
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi! I've been here in the past and asked something in a thread with forgotten games. Now it seems that the search doesn't work and I was hoping you could direct me to it, or perhaps you would know to answer my question.
    I played once a game with aliens and humans. The action took place on an alien planet. You chose at the beginning what faction you played, and there was a campaign. The units were basically the same, but drawn as humans or aliens. Units gained experience and once they had enough experience they could call for backup. There was an eerie sound from time to time, probably the sound made by a bird in the game that sounded like a certain sound from BomFunk MC - Freestyler. If you could please direct me to the thread or if you could tell me the name of the game. Thank you.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dread_k2002 View Post
    Hi! I've been here in the past and asked something in a thread with forgotten games. Now it seems that the search doesn't work and I was hoping you could direct me to it, or perhaps you would know to answer my question.
    I played once a game with aliens and humans. The action took place on an alien planet. You chose at the beginning what faction you played, and there was a campaign. The units were basically the same, but drawn as humans or aliens. Units gained experience and once they had enough experience they could call for backup. There was an eerie sound from time to time, probably the sound made by a bird in the game that sounded like a certain sound from BomFunk MC - Freestyler. If you could please direct me to the thread or if you could tell me the name of the game. Thank you.
    Giving us the genre of the game will help far more than the setting.
    My Twitter

25. - Top - End - #895
    Pixie in the Playground

It's a RTS game.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dread_k2002 View Post
    Reminds me of Dark Colony. I remember playing its demo and then dropping it.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

It does sound like Dark Colony. I played the demo as well, ages ago.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It does sound like Dark Colony. I played the demo as well, ages ago.
    Hmm. Did that demo come on the CD of a gaming magazine as well, dare I ask?

29. - Top - End - #899
    Troll in the Playground

I've been listening to Back in Black on repeat for the last few hours while playing Blacklight: Retribution. Which brings me to another question: does anyone here listen to a song playing through something like WinAMP, iTunes (ugh), or Windows Media Player while they play a game?

I've turned off the music for Super Monday Night Combat to listen to 2112, or Bulletstorm and some heavy/thrash metal.

Hell, I've even muted the music in a game like Amnesia just to make it even more tense. All you hear is the sound of your footsteps, whatever you knock over, doors crumbling, gatherer's gurgles, moans, and grunts, and the almighty, "OH BOLLOCKS" theme, terror.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Pixie in the Playground

It IS Dark Colony! Thanks guys!