New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Good to know. My only experience with Burzum is limited to Det som engang war, and I wasn't particularly impressed.
    But Det Som Engang Var is good. Really though, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Filosofem are waaaay different than his first two albums and are more or less foundational for what is now known as atmospheric black metal. Easily two of my favorite black metals in the history of forever.

What's not to like in Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Spiritual Black Dimensions, or Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia?
    Everything. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    I like Hlidskjalf, that one dark ambient album of his, but that's about it.
    He actually has two dark ambient albums. The first one is... not so good. Hliđskjálf is lovely though. I have it on vinyl.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

so...
    any djent fans here?

this made my day
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

Apart from meshuggah, whom I absolutely adore, I don't know any djent. Anyone care to list a few bands?

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
    Apart from meshuggah, whom I absolutely adore, I don't know any djent. Anyone care to list a few bands?
    No djent bands come close to the greatness of Meshuggah. However, a lot of djent lovers seem to be gravitating toward a new band called Vildhjarta. Not my cup of tea, and I'm really put off by a band having two vocalists, neither of which play any instrument. It's like a bunch a friends wanted to start a band and didn't have the heart to tell one of the vocalists that their services weren't required.
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eyeofsaulot View Post
    No djent bands come close to the greatness of Meshuggah. However, a lot of djent lovers seem to be gravitating toward a new band called Vildhjarta. Not my cup of tea, and I'm really put off by a band having two vocalists, neither of which play any instrument. It's like a bunch a friends wanted to start a band and didn't have the heart to tell one of the vocalists that their services weren't required.
    Clearly you have never heard dualing punk vocals.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Only example I know of dual vocals in punk is Nausea. And I hate Amy Miret's voice.
    F-Minus, man. F-Minus.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

I've actually heard both of the punk bands mentioned, but I've never seen video of them performing. A quick wiki search has informed me that at least the singers in F-Minus all actually had some other duty.

...not the same case for Nausea. That still strikes me as incredibly lame to see live.

EDIT: That isn't to imply that the occasional duet or guest vocal appearance is bad. But just having it throughout the entire show, especially with time split equally so that neither can claim the position of frontman, seems like it would look and feel awkward.
    Last edited by eyeofsaulot; 2012-02-05 at 10:27 AM.

my last.fm
    my rym

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I've actually heard both of the punk bands mentioned, but I've never seen video of them performing. A quick wiki search has informed me that at least the singers in F-Minus all actually had some other duty.

...not the same case for Nausea. That still strikes me as incredibly lame to see live.

EDIT: That isn't to imply that the occasional duet or guest vocal appearance is bad. But just having it throughout the entire show, especially with time split equally so that neither can claim the position of frontman, seems like it would look and feel awkward.
    It worked pretty well for 3 Inches of Blood for quite some time...

9. - Top - End - #279

My favorite Finnish doom band, Swallow The Sun, recently released their 5th album, featuring guest vocals by Annette Olzon on Cathedral Walls. I'm sure the entire album is very good, but I can't stop listening to that and Labyrinth of London (Horror Pt. IV).
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    My favorite Finnish doom band, Swallow The Sun, recently released their 5th album, featuring guest vocals by Annette Olzon on Cathedral Walls. I'm sure the entire album is very good, but I can't stop listening to that and Labyrinth of London (Horror Pt. IV).
    Sweet! I did not know they were releasing a new album They're definitely my favorite doom metal band (not that I listen to a lot of doom metal). Now I've gotta check this one out.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

I listen to music, though. I don't really get to many shows. Hell, most of the music I listen to would be difficult to reproduce live, and the half of the stuff I listen to is by projects/bands that don't play live or don't exist anymore. ~_~

Quote Originally Posted by cleric_of_BANJO View Post
    @_@
    Last edited by Faulty; 2012-02-05 at 07:40 PM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

12. - Top - End - #282

Annette from Nightwish?

i may have to check this out...

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cleric_of_BANJO View Post
    I feel like I could have used that very same link to add weight to my argument. The second vocalist's contributions seemed unnecessary at every turn.

...and I'm confused, where was the part where they go, "THIS... IS... THE PAINKILLEEERRRR!"?

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    I listen to music, though. I don't really get to many shows. Hell, most of the music I listen to would be difficult to reproduce live, and the half of the stuff I listen to is by projects/bands that don't play live or don't exist anymore. ~_~
    Well, yes, I imagine it would be pretty difficult to see live an Eastern European black metal band that only ever releases 66 copies of their albums on cassette which feature more instruments than permanent band members and plays one non-advertised local show every five years.

On a related note, DsO should become a touring band. Can you imagine?! That show would blow my mind to bits.

my last.fm
    my rym

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

He actually has two dark ambient albums. The first one is... not so good. Hliđskjálf is lovely though. I have it on vinyl.
    I'd heard of Daudi Baldrs, yes. I'd also heard it sucked, so I stayed away.

Why didn't I know about this? :/ This is going on my to-get list right away. Swallow the Sun is great.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

I feel like I could have used that very same link to add weight to my argument. The second vocalist's contributions seemed unnecessary at every turn.

...and I'm confused, where was the part where they go, "THIS... IS... THE PAINKILLEEERRRR!"?
    The whole bands contributions seemed unnecessary. >_>

Well, yes, I imagine it would be pretty difficult to see live an Eastern European black metal band that only ever releases 66 copies of their albums on cassette which feature more instruments than permanent band members and plays one non-advertised local show every five years.
    Live shows are untrve.

On a related note, DsO should become a touring band. Can you imagine?! That show would blow my mind to bits.
    God, you wouldn't be able to hear anything over the drums. @_@ It would also ruin the mystique. Part of the fun of DsO is how vaguely... disembodied they feel. I mean, other than Miko Aspa, who is of course relatively well known in the heavy electronics underground.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

The whole bands contributions seemed unnecessary. >_>
    Okay, I chuckled at that.

It would also ruin the mystique. Part of the fun of DsO is how vaguely... disembodied they feel.
    See, I feel a band can add to their mystique with a live show. It just depends on how they decide to go about it (and if their visual creativity matches their musical creativity). They don't have to show their faces on stage or head to the bar after the show to meet the fans.

my last.fm
    my rym

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

They're supposed to not have any embodiment at all though. It seems like it's part of its schtick.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Live shows are untrve.

Has someone been kicked in the head one too many times?

19. - Top - End - #289

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post

Getting kicked in the head is totally trve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Orc in the Playground

They're supposed to not have any embodiment at all though. It seems like it's part of its schtick.
    You know, that's an interesting interpretation. I hadn't really put too much thought into the meaning of their decision to not play live shows, so I hadn't come to any conclusion about it. It got me curious as to what they claimed was the reasoning behind it.

"First and foremost, we want to avoid at all costs this very human illusion of being important and gladly leave these fifteen minutes of fame, as Warhol brilliantly put it, to whoever wants them. In regard to what we are trying to understand and dare to praise despite the immense restrictions of human understanding, we are nothing. This being said, we are of course better than most humans, our humility lies on a metaphysical level." [source]

Oh man, that last part had me laughing. Now if that's what they truly believe (or whether it even matters) is up for debate, but it's certainly something to consider. What I do know is, with a statement like that, the chance for live shows in the future seems pretty slim.

my last.fm
    my rym

21. - Top - End - #291

So, this
    Last edited by Zocelot; 2012-02-07 at 02:15 AM.
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zocelot View Post
    So, this
    I heard their version of Moonshield. It's pretty awesome actually.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post

I'm too busy sitting in the dark, my only light a few candles, and listening to Les Legions Noir demos.

You know, that's an interesting interpretation. I hadn't really put too much thought into the meaning of their decision to not play live shows, so I hadn't come to any conclusion about it. It got me curious as to what they claimed was the reasoning behind it.

"First and foremost, we want to avoid at all costs this very human illusion of being important and gladly leave these fifteen minutes of fame, as Warhol brilliantly put it, to whoever wants them. In regard to what we are trying to understand and dare to praise despite the immense restrictions of human understanding, we are nothing. This being said, we are of course better than most humans, our humility lies on a metaphysical level." [source]

Oh man, that last part had me laughing. Now if that's what they truly believe (or whether it even matters) is up for debate, but it's certainly something to consider. What I do know is, with a statement like that, the chance for live shows in the future seems pretty slim.
    I sorta like the whole "DsO as an entity" thing. *shrug* Then again, that's a cool theme regarding The Axis of Perdition, but they played live shows. They're a lot more open though. I actually know a guy who knows some of the Axis dudes. I seem to know people who know people all the time, but never know artists themselves. Sad day. :(

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Getting kicked in the head is totally trve.
    Moshing is great, as long as you give as good as you get.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Orc in the Playground

I sorta like the whole "DsO as an entity" thing. *shrug* Then again, that's a cool theme regarding The Axis of Perdition, but they played live shows. They're a lot more open though. I actually know a guy who knows some of the Axis dudes. I seem to know people who know people all the time, but never know artists themselves. Sad day. :(
    Yeah, one huge difference between them and DsO is that the Axis guys seem to have a healthy sense of humor.

my last.fm
    my rym

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, one huge difference between them and DsO is that the Axis guys seem to have a healthy sense of humor.
    Oh man that is fantastic. Their Bio on their band page is pretty funny.

The part with the cat is the best. My cats do that.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
    i adore periphery
    vildjharta is good
    so is Animals as Leaders

Tosin Abasi is future hendrix IMO

also there is TesseracT and Human Abstract both of whom are amazing
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Just like I've been on a Black Sabbath binge these last few days. A friend gave me their Greatest Hits CD a while back. I'd forgotten how good it was.

Although I don't like Dio as much as I used to. Weird.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

So I've spent all day today listening to Motörhead pretty much. No death metal, no thrash, no grindcore, just Motörhead--mostly classics like Overkill and Ace of Spades. Realised it's been way too long since I really listened to Motörhead and was reminded again of why they are and always will be the greatest ****ing metal band.
    Did you know Lemmy was in an exploitation film based on Romeo & Juliet? :P

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

30. - Top - End - #300
    Orc in the Playground

Oh man that is fantastic. Their Bio on their band page is pretty funny.

The part with the cat is the best. My cats do that.
    That bit about Urfe in their bio killed me: "Literally dozens of people across the world didn't hate it." So true.

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    vildjharta is good
    so is Animals as Leaders
    One of these has too many vocalists and the other is severely lacking in that department. Maybe Vilhjarta should hand over one of theirs to Animals as Leaders, so balance can be had.

my last.fm
    my rym