New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Touche on both counts.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    Not a fan of Metallica bashers, but that is slick enough to deserve a Horatio High-Five.

So Thriller, Dark Side of the Moon, Back in Black, and The Bodyguard soundtrack are your four favorite albums?
    Back in Black, yes. The rest, no. And where did you pull that out of? That seemed to materialize out of nowhere. Yes, I like mainstream. No, I never said I liked everything mainstream.
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-02-28 at 12:17 AM.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    So guys.

Why is nu...er, 'metal' being brought up in a metal thread again?

< - Absolute hater of nu metal.
    Because General Rock disowned them and they asked if they could crash at Metal's house until they could get their bearings and have been there ever since?

Random Song Link WHEEEE!
    Also known as Jarbis

4. - Top - End - #544
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Back in Black, yes. The rest, no. And where did you pull that out of? That seemed to materialize out of nowhere. Yes, I like mainstream. No, I never said I liked everything mainstream.
    Those are the four best selling albums of all time.

...also, who even doesn't like Micheal Jackson. Off The Wall? Goddam classic. Billie Jean? Unbeatable. Beat It? Unb-

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

Those are the four best selling albums of all time.

...also, who even doesn't like Micheal Jackson. Off The Wall? Goddam classic. Billie Jean? Unbeatable. Beat It? Unb-

I believe that's called metaphorgotten.

Anyways, I still like those albums, but I'm a classic rock kind of guy. Metal is a passion, but I still like AC/DC, Guns'N'Roses, the Sex Pistols, Van Halen, Judas Priest, ZZ Top, and far too many other bands. But I still love Metallica and Megadeth. My biggest issue is the really harsh, depressing metal. That stuff rubs me the wrong way.

I only got into Metallica upon hearing Battery. That song is epic. But Ride the Lightning remains a favorite of mine forever.

Oh, and The Scorpions forever.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

You have to insult them? If it weren't for them, metal wouldn't be half as popular as it is today. Other bands would have to carry the weight of the genre. You can combat that, but Megadeth wouldn't exist, thrash metal would likely be known as a fad, and too much to consider. You owe too much of the genre to them to even be so inconsiderate. Sure, their music post-Load wasn't fantastic, it was decent. But anything before that?

Oh, and I'm sure the Butterfly Effect would make sure Iron Maiden and Earth never existed too.
    Wait, what? You do realize that Maiden predate Metallica right? That's like saying that going back in time to kill someone prevents that person's parents from existing. Science fiction does not work that way.

I honestly think that their influence is greatly overstated. Look at the modern day Thrash revival. Now come up with a list of bands from that movement who are closer musically to Metallica than they are to Exodus, Slayer, or Kreator. I'll save you some time, and inform you that the list will consist solely of Evile. Now look out at Metal as a broader whole. Add in Maiden and Priest on the more melodic side, and Sabbath on the doomy side, and once again you will essentially eclipse Metallica's influence, though you might be able to add Trivium to the list, so that's something I guess.

What little influence they have had has been, in my opinion, largely negative. I honestly can't think of any element of their music that couldn't be have been lifted in a superior form from their predecessors in Maiden and Priest, or their contemporaries in Exodus and Slayer.

Quote Originally Posted by cleric_of_BANJO View Post
    ...Still more accurate than calling them Metal. I can't explain how much I hate when I say I listen to Metal, and someone goes, "Oh, so you like Metallica and System of a Down, right?" Oh my Lemmy, that just drives me nuts.
    Oh god so much this, though in my experience SOAD rarely comes up. Are you still in high school, or do you think it's just something about where you live? Anyway, here's the beginning of an average conversation about my musical tastes.

Person: *Looking at my shirt* So, is Iron Maiden, like, a band?
    Me: *twitch* Yes. They're a Heavy Metal band.
    Person: Metal... So I guess you like Metallica then?

or...

Person: What sort of music do you like?
    Me: Well, I'm a pretty big Heavy Metal fan.
    Person: So, what, like Metallica?

It's more than a little depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    >suggesting I care about Iron Maiden.
    Metallica almost certainly had less of an effect on most of the metal that I like than Black Sabbath, and I'm not a huge fan of Black Sabbath, either.
    Screw you. Iron Maiden can't be fought. /hypocrisy
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2012-02-28 at 03:39 AM.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

You have to insult them? If it weren't for them, metal wouldn't be half as popular as it is today. Other bands would have to carry the weight of the genre. You can combat that, but Megadeth wouldn't exist, thrash metal would likely be known as a fad, and too much to consider. You owe too much of the genre to them to even be so inconsiderate. Sure, their music post-Load wasn't fantastic, it was decent. But anything before that?
    I honestly wish American Thrash had never happened. Pantera and Metallica can go die in a hole. They're really overrated.

@ Sunn 0))): I have no idea what this is but doesn't appear to be anything at all close to heavy metal, let alone most standard music. That's all I really have to sya.
    Last edited by toasty; 2012-02-28 at 03:12 AM.

8. - Top - End - #548

Quote Originally Posted by toasty View Post
    [Sunn O))) Link]
    The Hell was that?

Seriously, they're all high as a blimp, aren't they?

9. - Top - End - #549
    Troll in the Playground

Heh, that's kinda awesome.

I will say that stuff like that is probably why some people don't like Sunn O))).

I don't actually like them, but I can appreciate what they do. It's not for everyone, after all.

Also, why does it feel as if we've been discussing Metallica's merits and flaws for the previous billion pages?
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

I honestly wish American Thrash had never happened. Pantera and Metallica can go die in a hole. They're really overrated.

@ Sunn 0))): I have no idea what this is but doesn't appear to be anything at all close to heavy metal, let alone most standard music. That's all I really have to sya.
    i disagree about classic thrash
    i love that stuff

also on Sun 0))) moff showed them to me Oo
    they are amazing!
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

You think all countries have the same view on music? Japanese metal is a very distinct, especially with the incredibly bizarre "Candy Metal", which is basically what you get when you cross Earth and Hatsune Miku.
    Funny.
    I've heard the term "candy metal", as referred to something being immediately appealing because of a melodic "sweetness" (so, not necessarily a derogatory term).
    By this reasoning, Ancient God of Evil is candy metal.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-02-28 at 07:40 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Troll in the Playground

Oh Chumsy. I want you so hard, I want you so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Number 1 you ask? System of a Down's Toxicity.
    It's not metal, but... that album is decent, yo.

COME AT ME BROS

Quote Originally Posted by Makensha View Post
    Because General Rock disowned them and they asked if they could crash at Metal's house until they could get their bearings and have been there ever since?

Random Song Link WHEEEE!
    lol

Also, Wintersoul are pretty cool.

There are some very clearly metal riffs in there, but often times drone skirts around the boundaries of metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Funny.
    I've heard the term "candy metal", as referred to something being immediately appealing because of a melodic "sweetness" (so, not necessarily a derogatory term).
    By this reasoning, Ancient God of Evil is candy metal.
    Trve black candy metal.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

13. - Top - End - #553
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Oh, I see your problem. You consider Pantera and Metallica thrash. Pantera is groove metal, not thrash. Metallica has one thrash album (KEA), but then veered away. I would even call Master of Puppets proto-groove. Just listen to some of those riffs; they don't sound anything like thrash. Aside from those bands though, the American metal scene was quite respectable. Overkill, Exodus and Slayer were all great in their own way. Also, although nobody seems to mention them, DARK ANGEL were part of the American thrash movement, and I don't want to imagine life without Darkness Descends.

And, if anyone in the board likes Death Metal (which I'm beginning to question, since nobody seems to ever talk about it...) then we can't forget about the fact that with no American thrash scene, there would have been no American DM scene. Death would never have released Scream Bloody Gore if there was no American Thrash scene, and that would have sucked.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

You guys seem to ignore Ride the Lightning. That was thrash, but Master of Puppets was kind of Prog Heavy Metal to me, except Damage, Inc.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Troll in the Playground

As I said before, thrash spawned extreme metal more or less. Possessed's Seven Churches = death/thrash. Early Bathory = black/thrash. Boom.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

16. - Top - End - #556
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Getting Metallica is better than getting Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold.
    That is pretty much the ultimate insult.

Oh, I see your problem. You consider Pantera and Metallica thrash. Pantera is groove metal, not thrash. Metallica has one thrash album (KEA), but then veered away. I would even call Master of Puppets proto-groove. Just listen to some of those riffs; they don't sound anything like thrash. Aside from those bands though, the American metal scene was quite respectable. Overkill, Exodus and Slayer were all great in their own way. Also, although nobody seems to mention them, DARK ANGEL were part of the American thrash movement, and I don't want to imagine life without Darkness Descends.
    Actually, I don't exactly consider Pantera Thrash, but in my head they're one of these American bands that sound kinda what I think of when I see a lot of American Heavy Metal (that isn't metalcore) and kinda somehow associate it with "Thrash." Which is... yeah.

But Pantera really bugs me. They're not very good, and everyone here seems to love them. Everyone. Even the people that don't like heavy metal. It bothers me.

And, if anyone in the board likes Death Metal (which I'm beginning to question, since nobody seems to ever talk about it...) then we can't forget about the fact that with no American thrash scene, there would have been no American DM scene. Death would never have released Scream Bloody Gore if there was no American Thrash scene, and that would have sucked.
    I have mixed feelings about death metal. On one hand, I like Melodeath, a LOT and I love everything about heavy music live. But, on the other hand, I really don't like Death metal. Mostly lyrically (yeah, I find it kinda creepy hearing people talk about gore. I realize lyrics are often meaningless, but that still creeps me out), but musically as well. I understand why Death Metal is important, (and Thrash for that matter), but I don't like them. I like what they spawned.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Troll in the Playground

I have mixed feelings about death metal. On one hand, I like Melodeath, a LOT and I love everything about heavy music live. But, on the other hand, I really don't like Death metal. Mostly lyrically (yeah, I find it kinda creepy hearing people talk about gore. I realize lyrics are often meaningless, but that still creeps me out), but musically as well. I understand why Death Metal is important, (and Thrash for that matter), but I don't like them. I like what they spawned.
    Melodeath is basically loud heavy metal with growls. Anyway, if death metal creeps you out, I suggest you never listen to Ash Pool.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

18. - Top - End - #558
    Troll in the Playground

"But, like, dudes, that new Slipknot LP is just so brutal!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    This is how I feel all of the time.

It's not metal, but... that album is decent, yo.

COME AT ME BROS
    We used to be friends, Faulty.

We used to be friends.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Orc in the Playground

Eagles of Death Metal: Where Josh Homme's bad musical ideas go.

Ew, I hate licorice.

And, if anyone in the board likes Death Metal (which I'm beginning to question, since nobody seems to ever talk about it...)
    There have been plenty of arguments over Gothenburg melodeath vs... well, non-Gothenburg death metal. Come to think of it, though, there haven't been any Floridian DM vs Swedish DM discussions yet.

And I'm currently listening my way through the Death remasters. In short: they're better.
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

20. - Top - End - #560

Funnily enough, nowadays they sound more like an underproduced melodeath band ;)

21. - Top - End - #561
    Troll in the Playground

But at least in those cases I could explain that I wouldn't consider those sorts of bands the best representatives of the genre without coming off as nearly so much of a hipster douchebag as I probably do when trying to disassociate my metal preferences from the monolithic pop-culture icon that is Metallica.

And that's ignoring the fact that I do actually kind of like Avenged Sevenfold. I got into them as a result of learning that Mike Portnoy had done the drumming on their latest album though, so I still get to keep my metal elitist street cred.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eyeofsaulot View Post

There have been plenty of arguments over Gothenburg melodeath vs... well, non-Gothenburg death metal. Come to think of it, though, there haven't been any Floridian DM vs Swedish DM discussions yet.
    Swedish DM all the way, while i dig some of the florida stuff, the swedis hstuff is really mroe technical and I prefer the bands that it has spawned to those that florida spawned. That said i really dig old thrash in particular Exhorder. Also Dark angel is jazzy exodus!
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    But at least in those cases I could explain that I wouldn't consider those sorts of bands the best representatives of the genre without coming off as nearly so much of a hipster douchebag as I probably do when trying to disassociate my metal preferences from the monolithic pop-culture icon that is Metallica.

And that's ignoring the fact that I do actually kind of like Avenged Sevenfold. I got into them as a result of learning that Mike Portnoy had done the drumming on their latest album though, so I still get to keep my metal elitist street cred.
    You COULD say you don't like that style of music. Like, "I don't like Trash." Or "I dont like American Thrash a lot."

24. - Top - End - #564
    Troll in the Playground

We used to be friends, Faulty.

We used to be friends.
    We're frenemies.

Ew, I hate licorice.
    I actually like that album, despite Nargaroth being generally terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
    Funnily enough, nowadays they sound more like an underproduced melodeath band ;)
    wut

That's black metal with a crust punk and death metal influence and melodies that are in line with stuff the band has done before. It's also not a great album.

Never given Floridian DM much of a listen, but Swedeath makes me horny.
    Last edited by Faulty; 2012-02-28 at 02:32 PM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

25. - Top - End - #565

That's black metal with a crust punk and death metal influence and melodies that are in line with stuff the band has done before.
    Yeah, sure. That means early melodeath is black metal with crust and death metal influences, too.

I never new! </mind blown>

26. - Top - End - #566
    Orc in the Playground

If we're gonna do this let's do it right.

Old School Death Metal Battle (1987-1995): Florida vs Sweden!

Florida:
    Death, Atheist, Cynic, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Nocturnus, Deicide, Malevolent Creation, Cannibal Corpse

Sweden:
    Dismember, Entombed, Grave, At the Gates, Therion, Dark Tranquillity, Edge of Sanity

FIGHT! Discuss.

Note: Yes yes, my lists could have been much longer and I'm sure everyone's would be slightly different, but I feel these are the bands that best represent their respective locations. I made that judgment based on band visibility (my thoughts on music quality were not a factor). And feel free to include in the discussion whatever bands you consider relevant. I'll chip in later, assuming anyone has bothered commenting.
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

But Pantera really bugs me. They're not very good, and everyone here seems to love them. Everyone. Even the people that don't like heavy metal. It bothers me.
    i really dig them

i think that people like them due to their cool combination of Classic/Blues Rock and awesome riffage while keeping a nice southern influence
    My Metal Blog

28. - Top - End - #568
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, sure. That means early melodeath is black metal with crust and death metal influences, too.

I never new! </mind blown>
    Hey.

Spoiler
    Show

If we're gonna do this let's do it right.

Old School Death Metal Battle (1987-1995): Florida vs Sweden!

Florida:
    Death, Atheist, Cynic, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Nocturnus, Deicide, Malevolent Creation, Cannibal Corpse

Sweden:
    Dismember, Entombed, Grave, At the Gates, Therion, Dark Tranquillity, Edge of Sanity

FIGHT! Discuss.

Note: Yes yes, my lists could have been much longer and I'm sure everyone's would be slightly different, but I feel these are the bands that best represent their respective locations. I made that judgment based on band visibility (my thoughts on music quality were not a factor). And feel free to include in the discussion whatever bands you consider relevant. I'll chip in later, assuming anyone has bothered commenting.
    I will totally check this out later maybe kinda depends on if I'm listening to loads of Sigh. o_o Though I am seriously biased towards Swedeath and am not nearly as much of a connoisseur of DM as I am of BM and also noise.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

29. - Top - End - #569

Hey.

Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder what deeper meaning those can infer on the eclectic art of ear-cleaning. Though it's pretty clear which boundaries are getting expanded by the extra thick cotton tip

30. - Top - End - #570
    Troll in the Playground

I don't particularly care for 'em. *shrug*

This is how I feel all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble, but Dream Theater is hardly "metal elitist" material.

The Hell was that?

Seriously, they're all high as a blimp, aren't they?
    Indubiously. In fact, I have it on good authority that listening to Sunn O))) when yer stoned makes you feel like you're on the Millennium Falcon.

I find it deeply ironic when metal and punk kids break out the "that's not music, that's noise!" shtick. I thought that was for radio programmers in the 50s.