New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    My impression was that viking metal grew out of Bathory's Hammerheart and that Skyclad were the first folk metal band.
    i really like skyclad
    but for some reason i can not dig bathory
    WHY?
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

2. - Top - End - #602
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

My impression was that viking metal grew out of Bathory's Hammerheart
    Well, yes. That's why I said it grew out of extreme metal.

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    WHY?
    Dunno. Maybe because extreme metal? I don't really like Blood Fire Death, which is more black metally, but Hammerheart and especially Nordland are amazingly good. Quorthon's raw shouts are just godly.

I would have loved to hear Nordland III and IV. Silly heart attacks.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post

Dunno. Maybe because extreme metal? I don't really like Blood Fire Death, which is more black metally, but Hammerheart and especially Nordland are amazingly good. Quorthon's raw shouts are just godly.

well thats whats weird
    I LOVE extreme metal
    I;m interviewing Revocation tonight and i listened to morbid angel and Death all day yesterday..

and i guess Extreme is is pretty cool XD, especially decadence dance...
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

So I found something amazing. It's called NeuroTech. Best way I can describe this guy is as a perfect blend of Melodeath and Industrial Metal. *fanboys forever*
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-03-02 at 06:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    So I found something amazing. It's called NeuroTech. Best way I can describe this guy is as a perfect blend of Melodeath and Industrial Metal. *fanboys forever*
    i found out about them today too!
    Oo

also my interview with revocation went well,
    will post linky tomorrow
    My Metal Blog

6. - Top - End - #606
    Troll in the Playground

Listened to Fistful of Metal and Christ Skeleton today. Those are both solid albums. I really enjoyed the rather humorous take on metal FFoM has, and the agreeably negative views on the latter's obvious topic.

All in all, good day to listen to some Anthrax and Slayer. I've been straying away from Metallica and AC/DC for some other bands I've never heard, like Pantera, and a few Jimi Hendrix songs I never heard. Not metal, just what I'm listening to.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sounds a bit like The Kovenant to me. But nice enough.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Troll in the Playground

i really like skyclad
    WHY?
    Because they have different sounds and one suits you and one doesn't. :B

Okay, I dunno if anyone else thinks this, but I think Blood Fire Death is not black metal. It's thrash, sometimes blackened thrash. It just happens to have production that is black metal-ish, and some song writing that is similar, but the riffs themselves are mostly thrash, for srs.

Come at me bros.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I dunno if anyone else thinks this, but I think Blood Fire Death is not black metal. It's thrash, sometimes blackened thrash. It just happens to have production that is black metal-ish, and some song writing that is similar, but the riffs themselves are mostly thrash, for srs.

Come at me bros.
    i kind of see where you are coming from

I'm willing to say that it's thrashy black metal.. but i don't think i can bend further than that...
    My Metal Blog

10. - Top - End - #610
    Troll in the Playground

Death/thrash with some electronic stuff here and there.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

11. - Top - End - #611
    Troll in the Playground

I saw Alice Cooper while I was in Buffalo last year. That was pretty sweet.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Troll in the Playground

Reviewed an Ives demo. In before none of you care.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

Reviewed an Ives demo. In before none of you care.
    faulty be proud

you just made post number 666 of this thread

also

http://www.cracked.com/funny-6328-old-school-heavy-metal-fans/

story of my life XD

and here is my interview with REVOCATION (Who are amazing)

in other news
    i found an old school thrash band i prefer to slayer

Dark Angel
    My Metal Blog

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

i found out about them today too!
    Oo

also my interview with revocation went well,
    will post linky tomorrow
    Hooray for the world! :3

Quote Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
    Sounds a bit like The Kovenant to me. But nice enough.
    The Kovenant are also awesome. As are covenant. But I'll stop spamming the thread with Industrial for now and spam it with Insomnium instead. Because they're fricking amazing.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eyeofsaulot View Post
    My god, you're perfect for this discussion! Is there any specific reason you don't put Spiritual Healing up there with SBG and Leprosy?
    Because Death's first two albums are so foundational. I listen to a song like Choke on It (linked in my earlier post, just scroll up), and every time I hear a riff, I go "wow, that is just Death Metal 101." Everything they do screams to me, saying that THIS is how DM is supposed to be done. And they're catchy too. Sounds weird, considering what DM has turned into, but they're riffs just get stuck in my head. And SBG is just Slayer+, and it's done perfectly.

Human (and on) is good, but I'm not as big a fan of the progressive elements in their music. They don't sound forced, they actually fit in great, but my personal preference is classic DM over progressive DM. You should read Autothrall's reviews of Death's first two albums, he explains it better than I ever could.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Troll in the Playground

in other news
    i found an old school thrash band i prefer to slayer

Dark Angel
    As my eighth grade teacher/psychologist said, when you've heard Angel of Death, you've heard everything Slayer's ever made.

Yes, my eighth grade teacher. She looks nothing like a metal fan, but she's easily the most well informed out of all of them.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Troll in the Playground

faulty be proud

heil satan
    anti-human
    anti-life

The Kovenant are also awesome. As are covenant. But I'll stop spamming the thread with Industrial for now and spam it with Insomnium instead. Because they're fricking amazing.
    Okay, pet peeve here. That is not industrial, nor is 99% of what gets tagged as "industrial [insertsubgenre] metal". Examples of industrial are: Anna Gardeck, Laibach, Throbbing Gristle, NON. There's a difference between electronic use and industrial.

Quote Originally Posted by cleric_of_BANJO View Post
    I like that guy. Dunno if you've ever looked at his rateyourmusic profile, but he's made some pretty interesting (and long) lists about black metal, thrash metal, etc.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

18. - Top - End - #618
    Troll in the Playground

faulty be proud

Actually, 666 was me.

We need some Cult from Skeleton Christ to set the mood.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I like that guy. Dunno if you've ever looked at his rateyourmusic profile, but he's made some pretty interesting (and long) lists about black metal, thrash metal, etc.
    I have looked at it, also been to fromthedustreturned.com a few times, but I usually enjoy reading his reviews on MA, they're more accessible. He's the one that got me into Darkthrone. And Death. And Morbid Angel. And Blind Guardian. And Venom. And King Diamond, Pharaoh, Bolt Thrower, Tankard, Destruction, Sodom, Kreator...

Basically, if I ever want to listen to new music, I go to his reviews, click to rank them in order (from highest to lowest) and look for albums I haven't listened to. And I listen to them. I don't agree with everything he says, but he is very reliable when it comes to most classic Thrash, DM and black metal.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, pet peeve here. That is not industrial, nor is 99% of what gets tagged as "industrial [insertsubgenre] metal". Examples of industrial are: Anna Gardeck, Laibach, Throbbing Gristle, NON. There's a difference between electronic use and industrial.
    You're right, Covenant aren't Industrial Metal, they're EBM.
    Unless you're referring to The Kovenant in the other post, in which case, they are Industrial Metal. Or the post before that, where I mentioned Neurotech, in which case, he describes himself as "Cyber Metal", (yay more sub-genres) To me it just sounds like a blend of Industrial and Melodeath, and I'm not just talking about the use of synth.
    Or are you talking about Insomnium? In which case, I never said they were Industrial.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-03-05 at 03:09 AM.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Troll in the Playground

Huh. Another reason why I don't like it. Go figure.

Spam away. My industrial collection needs to be filled a bit more Ever since Samael went back to black metal. Sigh.

Word. Like when people say Nince Inch Nails is industrial metal. I just lol and then punch them in the face. Also? Laibach is the greaterest.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

22. - Top - End - #622
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cleric_of_BANJO View Post
    I have looked at it, also been to fromthedustreturned.com a few times, but I usually enjoy reading his reviews on MA, they're more accessible. He's the one that got me into Darkthrone. And Death. And Morbid Angel. And Blind Guardian. And Venom. And King Diamond, Pharaoh, Bolt Thrower, Tankard, Destruction, Sodom, Kreator...

Basically, if I ever want to listen to new music, I go to his reviews, click to rank them in order (from highest to lowest) and look for albums I haven't listened to. And I listen to them. I don't agree with everything he says, but he is very reliable when it comes to most classic Thrash, DM and black metal.
    If he got you into those bands, what did you listen to before that?

Unless you're referring to The Kovenant in the other post, in which case, they are Industrial Metal.
    The Kovenant and Neurotech have about as much to do with industrial as Iron Maiden has to do with death metal.

The Kovenant were also better when they were just Covenant.
    Last edited by Faulty; 2012-03-05 at 09:39 AM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground

not possibly... *shiver* metallica?

today i laughed at the biggest metallica fan i know because he did not understand the meaning of the word "Sellout"

Aren't they like the defnition?

admittedly i do like post black album metallica i just feel that... people should stop claiming they're "Metalheads" because they dig metallica...
    My Metal Blog

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

today i laughed at the biggest metallica fan i know because he did not understand the meaning of the word "Sellout"

admittedly i do like post black album metallica i just feel that... people should stop claiming they're "Metalheads" because they dig metallica...

in other news, if any of you ever want to guest post on my blog about metal or music feel free to PM me, i'll welcome it!
    My Metal Blog

25. - Top - End - #625
    Troll in the Playground

Only Justice and prior is truly good. The Black Album is just that; The band couldn't put food on their [gold emblazoned] plates. Understandable, but they abandoned what they basically invented in process, never returning.

It is this reason why I put Sunn on my Pandora. Of course, I had just been working out, so I promptly threw up.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

Word. Like when people say Nince Inch Nails is industrial metal. I just lol and then punch them in the face. Also? Laibach is the greaterest.
    NIN are Industrial, but Metal? He's Industrial Rock if anything.

The Kovenant and Neurotech have about as much to do with industrial as Iron Maiden has to do with death metal.
    Okay.

*Isn't quite sure what he just read, but will simply nod and smile*

You'll find that The Kovenant were originally a Black Metal band that later became more Industrial orientated. They still have a lot of Black Metal within their music, But there's no reason why you can't mix Industrial Metal with other elements such as Black Metal. Psyclon Nine do it pretty damn well.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-03-06 at 03:38 AM.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Troll in the Playground

NIN are Industrial, but Metal? He's Industrial Rock if anything.
    His first and only worthwhile album is synth-pop.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Troll in the Playground

New Epica album out in a few days.

...I hear your silent disinterest.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Troll in the Playground

How is "Worship Music"? I saw it when I piked up Th1rt3en for my Deth-Head friend, and thought it'd be a nice alternative to Megadeth.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Troll in the Playground

New Epica album out in a few days.

...I hear your silent disinterest.
    Good sir, my disinterest is passionate and vocal.