New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Well, Saviour Machine is finally getting ready to pull Legend III out of the development hell it's been in since 2001, and with any luck it'll be complete in the year. Not holding my breath, though.

And according to Wiki, Sonata Arctica hopes to have their new album on sale by summer. That's good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

2. - Top - End - #62

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Also, as awesome as Poetry for the Poisoned was, it came out in 2010.
    I know, but i discovered Poetry for the Poisoned along with the rest of Kamelot in 2011 so its close enough for me, plus i really wanted to give the band some credit.

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

I'm kinda waiting to see what Kamelot will do now that Roy Khan is gone. Loved his voice.

Necropolis was my personal favourite from Poetry of the Poisoned, but overall I can't say I enjoyed it all that much. I actually thought Ghost Opera was better.

I'd forgotten about Sonata Arctica's new album. Hope it's good.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

4. - Top - End - #64

You know, everyone says that Ghost Opera was such a fantastic album. Personally, though, I just don't get it. Something about the album is just very unappealing, somehow, and I can't put my finger on it.

And I, for one, would be stoked if Fabio Lione would take Roy's place permanently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

"Dear God, why?" would probably be pretty high on my list, but I'm somewhat mean-spirited and have a particular distaste for Deathcore, so I should probably just be ignored.
    how about

Why do you play deathcore?
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    You know, everyone says that Ghost Opera was such a fantastic album. Personally, though, I just don't get it. Something about the album is just very unappealing, somehow, and I can't put my finger on it.

And I, for one, would be stoked if Fabio Lione would take Roy's place permanently.
    Huh. Fabio might actually make it work. Interesting thought.

I think it's because Ghost Opera wasn't really structured. The previous albums, Epica and The Black Halo, told a story and had interludes and everything. Ghost Opera was just a bunch of songs thrown together. Bunch of awesome songs, though.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Huh. Fabio might actually make it work. Interesting thought.
    thats because fabio is one of the best vocalists in the world today
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone know of any good albums set to be released this year? I'd trawl the net, but I'm much too lazy.
    NEW ALCEST ALBUM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

My new favorite metal album of last year was Weightless by Animals as Leaders. Coincidentally, or perhaps incidentally, it was also the only new metal album I listened to last year.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post

Oh. HELL. Yes.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2012-01-04 at 10:00 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

WOO!

Didn't know there was a metal thread here. Awesome. What's the talk of the town? In a quick moment of extreme, 1st-grader-style outbursts, I just bought Rust in Peace (been a Metallica fan for a long time, never went past the Black Album though), and I LOVE it.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

13. - Top - End - #73

Top 5 Albums of 2011 (Originally top 3, but it's been a good year for metal and I'm bad at making decisions)

Turisas - Stand Up And Fight
    Great new album, I like the slower, heavier stuff like Fear the Fear and End of an Empire.

Euphoreon - Euphoreon
    Excellent debut album, Road to Redemption is the clear all-star song.

Battlesoul - Lay Down Thy Burdens
    Another debut album, from my home province, these guys are a lot like Ensiferum.

Anterior - Echoes Of The Fallen
    My favourite band. Not as good as their first album, but it's still fantastic and it grows on you.

Arch Enemy - Khaos Legions
    I'll get hate for this, but I think it's the best Gossow album

Honorable Mention:
    Alestorm - Back Through Time
    It's fun, but not as musically sound as the others.

Disappointments:
    Insomnium - One for Sorrow
    Some good stuff here, but it feels too generic and samey

Children of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever
    I was hoping they could recover from Bloodrunk, but nope, they suck now.

Blackguard - Firefight
    Losing the keyboards changes their sound entirely, and not in a good way.

Sylosis - Edge Of The Earth
    Much thrashier and less melodic than their first album. It's not terrible, but it just doesn't compare.

Norther - Circle Regenerated
    Losing their lead singer crippled them.
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zocelot View Post
    Top 5 Albums of 2011 (Originally top 3, but it's been a good year for metal and I'm bad at making decisions)

Great new album, I like the slower, heavier stuff like Fear the Fear and End of an Empire.

Euphoreon - Euphoreon
    Excellent debut album, Road to Redemption is the clear all-star song.

Battlesoul - Lay Down Thy Burdens
    Another debut album, from my home province, these guys are a lot like Ensiferum.

Anterior - Echoes Of The Fallen
    My favourite band. Not as good as their first album, but it's still fantastic and it grows on you.

Arch Enemy - Khaos Legions
    I'll get hate for this, but I think it's the best Gossow album

Honorable Mention:
    Alestorm - Back Through Time
    It's fun, but not as musically sound as the others.

Disappointments:
    Insomnium - One for Sorrow
    Some good stuff here, but it feels too generic and samey

Children of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever
    I was hoping they could recover from Bloodrunk, but nope, they suck now.

Blackguard - Firefight
    Losing the keyboards changes their sound entirely, and not in a good way.

Sylosis - Edge Of The Earth
    Much thrashier and less melodic than their first album. It's not terrible, but it just doesn't compare.

Norther - Circle Regenerated
    Losing their lead singer crippled them.
    Can we throw Lulu in there, for good measure?

You know damn well where I mean for it to go.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Anyone know of any good albums set to be released this year? I'd trawl the net, but I'm much too lazy.
    A couple good ones have already been mentioned like the new Alcest and posthumous Control Denied. Old school Texas thrash metallers Watchtower will be releasing a comeback album this year. Sigh's new album In Somniphobia should be out some time in March (won't link to the youtube page with the song "Somniphobia" because of the cover art. Look it up!) And Blind Guardian is rerecording, reworking, remixing, and orchestrifying old songs for their compilation entitled Memories of a Time to Come. Kind of like Forgotten Tales from all those years ago.
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zocelot View Post
    Huh. I didn't really like Stand Up And Fight all that much. Usually I like slower and heavier as well, but The Varangian Way was just so much better.

Also, the new Moonspell (finally) is apparently slated for "Spring 2012". We'll have to see if that ends up happening.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    WOO!

Didn't know there was a metal thread here. Awesome. What's the talk of the town?
    Alllcccceeessstttttttt.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-01-05 at 11:19 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Found this guy on youtube with lots of really cool metal covers.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Can we throw Lulu in there, for good measure?

You know damn well where I mean for it to go.
    It's not technically a disappointment since to be disappointed, you have to have to have the expectation that it's not going to be the biggest piece of **** Metallica has ever produced.
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80

PaladinGuy

Huh. I didn't really like Stand Up And Fight all that much. Usually I like slower and heavier as well, but The Varangian Way was just so much better.

Also, the new Moonspell (finally) is apparently slated for "Spring 2012". We'll have to see if that ends up happening.
    Eh, Varangian missed for me on the keyboards. Authentic orchestral work really brings Stand Up And Fight into the fore, and that's the only reason why it gets my vote over its predecessor. But it's a very different album than Varangian. Varangian had a hell of a story behind it, and if you loved the narrative, it's an album that's going to stay with you forever.

Both great albums over all, just for very different reasons.

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Found this guy on youtube with lots of really cool metal covers.
    took you long enough

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

I put this up on the Pony thread, but I'll mention it here too. The instrumentals for my trve kvlt frostbitten Black \m/etal cover of the opening them from My Little Pony: Friendship is magic is up on Youtube in my shiny new channel. It's equipped with low quality distant guitars as standard.
    Screaming and hollowing version coming soon.

It's so kvlt, I actually started to develop some frostbite on my fingers as I was recording it.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-01-05 at 07:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

I've been relistening ALL the Alcest in preparation for their new album

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    Eh, Varangian missed for me on the keyboards. Authentic orchestral work really brings Stand Up And Fight into the fore, and that's the only reason why it gets my vote over its predecessor. But it's a very different album than Varangian. Varangian had a hell of a story behind it, and if you loved the narrative, it's an album that's going to stay with you forever.
    Hmm, you're right, of course. I tend to like concept albums like Varangian Way more in any case. Oh, but that Supernaut cover didn't do anything for me.

24. - Top - End - #84

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Am I the only person here who doesn't like folk/symphonic metal

Anyway!
    Folk and Symphonic probably shouldn't go into the same grouping. Korpiklaani, Finntroll, Turisas and the like don't sound remotely like Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius or Rhapsody (of Fire...I refuse to acknowledge this change of names except as a parenthetical clarification. Sorry guys, you didn't need a name change).

The difference is so distinct that I can say that I really enjoy folk metal but I don't like symphonic metal at all. Not that the bands above aren't talented, they just lack a certain quality that I look for in my metal.

That said, I'll take an Amon Amarth, an Opeth, an Unleashed and sometimes even a Satyricon on my heavier leaning days, so I can definitely buy into the whole Needs More BRUTALITY mentality.

Metal is a wide genre. C'est la vie.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2012-01-06 at 07:52 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    Folk and Symphonic probably shouldn't go into the same grouping. Korpiklaani, Finntroll, Turisas and the like don't sound remotely like Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius or Rhapsody (of Fire...I refuse to acknowledge this change of names except as a parenthetical clarification. Sorry guys, you didn't need a name change).
    Completely agree with this. Love the first ones.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Am I the only person here who doesn't like folk/symphonic metal

Anyway!

I have lately been getting very into Brutal Truth, in particular their album Need to Control. It's brutal, vicious, and aggressive grindcore, without devolving into mere noise and screeching (I'm lookin' at you, AxCx...). I like.
    I like some folk and symphonic metal, but I'm certainly not of the opinion that those elements automatically improve any given song. When it works though, I can dig it.

Honestly my problem with a lot of folk metal and symphonic metal is essentially the same as my problem with a lot of extreme metal. In the former cases, bands often seem to be trying really hard to sound "epic" above all else while the latter group is full of people whose main focus is trying to sound "brutal." In both situations, sounding "good" comes secondary, and therein lies the problem.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2012-01-06 at 07:23 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

I like some folk and symphonic metal, but I'm certainly not of the opinion that those elements automatically improve any given song. When it works though, I can dig it.

Honestly my problem with a lot of folk metal and symphonic metal is essentially the same as my problem with a lot of extreme metal. In the former cases, bands often seem to be trying really hard to sound "epic" above all else while the latter group is full of people whose main focus is trying to sound "brutal." In both situations, sounding "good" comes secondary, and therein lies the problem.
    I kind of agree with this. There are a lot of bands that have a tendency to fall into this trap and end up sounding very generic and boring. However, on the other hand, you do have some fantastic Symphonic and Folk Metal bands. Kamelot and Eluveitie are strong examples of bands in both genres who are both original, and do more then simply try to sound "epic".

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

*snip* (I'm lookin' at you, AxCx...). I like.
    Is the AxCx you mentioned in any way related to the band who plays loud and fast, with lyrics to be the most offensive as possible as a parody of bands that play loud and fast with offensive lyrics? That also happens to have the (censored) name A.C.?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Worst thing 'bout Alcest: it's difficult to find their CDs in italian stores.
    I like facing logistic difficulties.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Worst thing 'bout Alcest: it's difficult to find their CDs in italian stores.
    I like facing logistic difficulties.
    You think it's any different in the UK? That's why Odin created the Interwebz.

*hugs his copy of Souvenirs*
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-01-07 at 06:59 AM.