New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Makensha View Post
    http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

I generally find putting a song at 3000% stretch is a good way to fall asleep.
    hmmm

this is...
    interesting
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

1) Probably Guns 'n' Roses' Use Your Illusion II. While it certainly doesn't count as metal, it got me onto the right track. Alternatively ManOwaRs Kings Of Metal.

2) That's quite hard. I don't have an all-time-favourite, but if pressed I'd say it's a three-way-tie between mid-era In Flames/Dark Tranquillity/At The Gates.

3) That, on the other hand, is quite easy. In Flames' Whoracle.

3. - Top - End - #153

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    Pretty sure I'm still the only sludge/doom/drone/stoner/post metal fan in hurr.

One day y'all'll acknowledge the brilliance that is Sunn O))). One day.
    I like that stuff. Or at least, I think I do. I like Electric Wizard. It's one of those things where a lot of the songs sound similar to me, so even though I like it I don't go after it to much.

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    I'd like to ask everyone a few questions.

What was the band you heard that got you into metal?

What is your favorite metal band?

What is your favorite metal album?

I could easily answer this Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath, but instead I'll go with Black Sabbath, Bal-Sagoth, and ...uh The Art of War. don't really listen to things in albums...

4. - Top - End - #154

1) Demon Hunter

2) Rhapsody of Fire

3) As the World Bleeds by Theocracy
    Also known as Jarbis

5. - Top - End - #155

1) Disturbed

2) Nightwish

3) Once by Nightwish

DM
    Last edited by Hawkfrost000; 2012-01-18 at 02:04 PM.
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Science Officer View Post
    I could easily answer this Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath, but instead I'll go with Black Sabbath, Bal-Sagoth, and ...uh The Art of War. don't really listen to things in albums...
    I'm about to tell you something that will improve the way you look at music for the rest of your life. LISTEN TO ALBUMS. You don't know what you're missing until you do. Beside the fact that if you don't, you miss a lot of the great underrated tracks, but also, there are some kinds of music you can only listen to as albums.

As for the questions...

1. Iron Maiden. Specifically, Fear of the Dark. That song specifically was like a spark in a gas tank for me; after that, there was no turning back.

2. So tough. I'm gonna say Black Sabbath, but Maiden is a close second.

3. Not so tough. Black Sabbath's Paranoid.

Man, I like making top 10's a lot more than just one band... Saying Paranoid is my favorite album in no way represents my taste of music.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

To add to my earlier statement, I forgot to add that I can't decide between Ride the Lightning and Rust in Peace.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

8. - Top - End - #158

Avenged Sevenfold, Anterior and Wintersun (the album).
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

1. Dream Theater. Shame. I haz it.

2. Uh... Probably Kylesa. Loves me some Kylesa.

3. Static Tension, Kylesa.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    1. Dream Theater. Shame. I haz it.
    :/

Nothing wrong with Dream Theater. Scenes from a Memory is amazing.

And Train of Thought's In The Name of God has a ridiculously awesome guitar solo. Petrucci is a legend.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post

And Train of Thought's In The Name of God has a ridiculously awesome guitar solo. Petrucci is a legend.
    +1 to this.

For me:

1: My mother accidentally downloaded Black Dragon by Luca Turilli when she was looking for My Name Is Luca by Suzanne Vega. I was hooked, and so she downloaded the rest of Luca's discography, as well as Rhapsody's (as they were known then). My grandpa also liked them, and got me a CD full of Helloween cover songs because Rhapsody and Luca had contributed tracks to the CD. The rest is history.

2: Overall, I'd have to say Pain of Salvation. So versatile, so good.

3: At this very moment, angL by Ihsahn, tied with Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise by Emperor. I love me some Ihsahn. However, Luca's Kings of the Nordic Twilight will always have a special place in my heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

The first thread I made on GitP, something like five years ago, boiled down to "guys I love prog". I was a very, very different person back then.
    ...not that I don't still appreciate a good prog tune. King Crimson's amazing, Yes still has some great stuff, Gentle Giant's amazing, but honestly, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer is silly. *sagenod*

Also, anyone heard Kowloon Walled City? They're a little sludgy, a little thrashy, a bit punkish. Good San Francisco boys. I love my city.

13. - Top - End - #163

PaladinGuy

1. I started my metal career on Metallica. ...And Justice For All.

2. My favorite metal band today is probably Turisas, Amon Amarth or Metallica (obvious caveat is obvious:Old Metallica > New Metallica)

3. This is...an impossible question. There have been so many greats, and I really can't commit to one album. Metallica's S&M brought so much to the table. Master of Puppets was, is and always will be a genre defining classic. Turisas' The Varangian Way is a historical concept album describing my favorite historical warriors. The narrative is fantastic. The only reason it doesn't win outright is because it uses synth-orchestral elements, and I'm pretentious like that.

On the subject of Dream Theater, how do people feel about Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence? It's the album that got me into Dream Theater...back when I was a big prog fan.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2012-01-19 at 10:57 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    1. I started my metal career on Metallica. ...And Justice For All.

2. My favorite metal band today is probably Turisas, Amon Amarth or Metallica (obvious caveat is obvious:Old Metallica > New Metallica)

3. This is...an impossible question. There have been so many greats, and I really can't commit to one album. Metallica's S&M brought so much to the table. Master of Puppets was, is and always will be a genre defining classic. Turisas' The Varangian Way is a historical concept album describing my favorite historical warriors. The narrative is fantastic. The only reason it doesn't win outright is because it uses synth-orchestral elements, and I'm pretentious like that.

On the subject of Dream Theater, how do people feel about Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence? It's the album that got me into Dream Theater...back when I was a big prog fan.
    I love S&M. Hard to find nowadays (physically), but totally worth every penny.

Master of Puppets is easily one of their better albums. I just like Fight Fire With Fire, Ride the Lightning, Trapped Under Ice, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and Escape a little more than Battery, Master of Puppets, and Disposable Heroes. Though I do believe Disposable Heroes is the best song ever, right there next to Symphony of Destruction.

I only say I love Symphony of Destruction because I've heard that song my entire childhood, and never once stopped to question who wrote it. I casually thought, "Hey! I could listen to Symphony of Destruction while I type this essay!" ... I'VE HEARD THIS EIGHTY TIMES BEFORE HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS WAS BY MEGADETH I LOVE THIS SONG

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

I'd like to ask everyone a few questions.

I can answer these all easily. Metallica, Megadeth, Ride the Lightning.
    I skim the thread sometimes though don't post often, but I love these kind of questionnaires.

1) Mudvayne and Soilwork. Not proud of it.

2) Probably a tie between Deathspell Omega, Darkthrone and Panopticon.

3) Tie between Deathspell Omega's Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum and Panopticon's Collapse. I'd easily give both albums 10/10 and if you disagree I will fight you grrrr.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    I skim the thread sometimes though don't post often, but I love these kind of questionnaires.

1) Mudvayne and Soilwork. Not proud of it.
    I don't hate Mudvayne. Then again, I've only heard one of their songs. 'Twas good though.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

I don't hate Mudvayne. Then again, I've only heard one of their songs. 'Twas good though.
    I just can't stand any music whose genre involves the words "Nu" or "Gothenburg".

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

So... Anyone else as exited about the new Eluveitie album as I am? [/new subject]
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-01-19 at 03:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Yes.

...since I can't say just 'yes' in a post.

I'll say it again.

Yes.
    Brofist.

Brofist again.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Normally I loathe most black metal I've listened to, but for whatever reason all day I've been addicted to Mayhem's Deathcrush EP. Previously, the closest I've gotten to black metal that I enjoyed was Gallhammer, and I was pretty secure in saying that in general I don't like black metal.

OH GOD MY TASTE IN METAL MIGHT BE CHANGING

OH GOD
    I used to like Alternative. Then punk. Then I heard a song one day on the radio (all I could remember was "just like the Pied Piper"), and I think my taste in music took a radical turn. I should note that I learned recently that the song was "Symphony of Destruction", and that I've been a metal fan longer than I thought. Hell, I should edit my original post, Megadeth introduced me to metal (WHEN I WAS 7)!

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is... adequate. I've historically liked their more calm albums such as Scenes From a Memory, but I must say Octavarium is pretty good, and their new album, A Dramatic Turn of Events (the one without Portnoy), is surprisingly awesome. Six Degrees though... meh. Not bad, just not excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    So... Anyone else as exited about the new Eluveitie album as I am? [/new subject]
    I would submit that you cannot possibly be more excited than me Although I'm really looking forward to their next acoustic album (called Evocation II, I'd imagine), I'm intrigued by Helvetios. Plus anything Eluveitie is automatically teh awesome.

Previously, the closest I've gotten to black metal that I enjoyed was Gallhammer, and I was pretty secure in saying that in general I don't like black metal.
    My taste in black metal is a bit weird, I must say. I don't really like "true" black, i.e. second wave black metal, but first wave "extreme" metal like Bathory and Venom I like. And then third wave, Wolves in the Throne Room especially. Stuff like Agathodaimon, Borknagar, Samael, and then "post" black like Alcest or early Dornenreich as well.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

22. - Top - End - #172

So, I just have to ask: Why no love for Gothenburg, Faulty and Comrade?

Granted, Soilwork have been thrown around earlier, and their contemporary stuff is rather meh, but there's so much good stuff that sadly flies under the radar.

Dark Tranquillity are still doing what they always did, Nightrage are quite great, Cipher System are good, although not for long stretches, I'll give you that, Dimension Zero totally rocks, Carcass old works still kick ass, even though they're not gothenburg, per se. I could go on...

... so I will:
    Scar Symmetry
    Mors Principium Est
    Hypocrisy

Also, old works:
    Soilwork
    In Flames

Granted, the current trend of merging *core and melodeath (ie new In Flames, Soilwork) isn't for my tastes, too, but apart from the "mainstream" there's so much more "traditional" stuff that's quite great.

23. - Top - End - #173

PaladinGuy

Normally I loathe most black metal I've listened to, but for whatever reason all day I've been addicted to Mayhem's Deathcrush EP. Previously, the closest I've gotten to black metal that I enjoyed was Gallhammer, and I was pretty secure in saying that in general I don't like black metal.

OH GOD MY TASTE IN METAL MIGHT BE CHANGING

OH GOD
    I think this summarizes the common experience for most people who enjoy their metal. I don't think anybody just sticks to one genre. It's an evolving process.

On the subject of Black Metal, the only band I've ever really been able to enjoy is Satyricon, and even then, not all of it. I've never been a fan of that "lo-fi" sound that all these bands try to emulate with their bad production value. Satyricon's mostly pretty clean, and mostly pretty decipherable in terms of lyrics. That's important to me too.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2012-01-20 at 11:32 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

I would submit that you cannot possibly be more excited than me Although I'm really looking forward to their next acoustic album (called Evocation II, I'd imagine), I'm intrigued by Helvetios. Plus anything Eluveitie is automatically teh awesome.
    Tru dat. They've never disappointed me in the past. (Although I'm all keen about their new video to be honest. It's far from bad, but not as awesome as what I would normally expect.)

On the subject of Black Metal, I find that 90% of Metalheads who say they don't like it just haven't listened to enough of it. It's a very diverse sub-genre.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-01-20 at 11:27 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    On the subject of Black Metal, I find that 90% of Metalheads who say they don't like it just haven't listened to enough of it. It's a very diverse sub-genre.
    Suggestions please! I've heard a lot of black metal but it's all suffused with that lo-fi, blast-beat...awfulness.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
    So, I just have to ask: Why no love for Gothenburg, Faulty and Comrade?

Granted, Soilwork have been thrown around earlier, and their contemporary stuff is rather meh, but there's so much good stuff that sadly flies under the radar.

Dark Tranquillity are still doing what they always did, Nightrage are quite great, Cipher System are good, although not for long stretches, I'll give you that, Dimension Zero totally rocks, Carcass old works still kick ass, even though they're not gothenburg, per se. I could go on...

... so I will:
    Scar Symmetry
    Mors Principium Est
    Hypocrisy

Also, old works:
    Soilwork
    In Flames

Granted, the current trend of merging *core and melodeath (ie new In Flames, Soilwork) isn't for my tastes, too, but apart from the "mainstream" there's so much more "traditional" stuff that's quite great.
    Gothenburg is, to me, death metal's poppy cousin. The feeling I get from it is just like, it's trying to be extreme but is really nothing but power metal with some thrashy rhythm guitars and growls. Honestly the growling style that pops in in Gothenburg too often just annoys the bejesus out of me (e.g. that of Soilwork's vocalist, or in Scar Symmetry, and I think the woman from Arch Enemy is pretty bad). It often has a very blue-printy feel to it (that whole "open with two melodic leads" thing is like yech for me). Plus the whole "Gothenburg" bit just reminds me that, around the time the genre was coming into being, Sweden was also pumping out stuff like Like an Everflowing Stream, The Spectral Sorrows, Clouds, Into the Grave, Where No Life Dwells and Left Hand Path, which I'd much rather listen to because it's dark and extreme and amazing. Not to mention I prefer Carcass circa 1989 when they were doing stuff like Symphonies of Sickness. If I want something poppy, I can always listen to Girls' Generation.

Suggestions please! I've heard a lot of black metal but it's all suffused with that lo-fi, blast-beat...awfulness.
    Bone Awl.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

27. - Top - End - #177

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    Just...as an aside, this thread makes me wish I had access to YouTube at work.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2012-01-20 at 12:25 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Just...as an aside, this thread makes me wish I had access to YouTube at work.
    It was actually a joke, haha. Bone Awl is about as lo-fi as lo-fi BM gets. In all honestly though, I think Bosse-de-Nage's II is an absolutely lovely black metal album with a decent production. The minimalist nature of the vinyl release is also fantastic. I really love the packaging on both the CD and vinyl in general. I also have a test pressing of the vinyl. It's kinda gratuitous. Deathspell Omega's Fas and Paracletus have very sharp production as well.
    Last edited by Faulty; 2012-01-20 at 01:12 PM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Seconded, these guys are made of win. Having seen them live three times too I can safely say they know how to put on a really energetic performance too. I for one really like their new single as well, has an interesting sort of Eluveitie meets gothic metal vibe and seems verry firmly rooted in traditional celtic fair which I always appreciate. Plus all of the Eluveitie stuff heavily featuring Anna Murphy ends up pretty uniformly kicking about 20% more ass than is normal even for Eluveitie
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

I'll try and list a bunch of bands with different sounds.
    Gallowbraid
    Agalloch
    (both those bands have a similar sound actually, but I thought I'd mention both of them as they're both awesome )
    Alcest
    Austere
    Sienbenburgen
    Mirzadeh
    Wolfchant
    Onryo
    Dominia
    Winterhorde
    Dornenreich
    Coldworld
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-01-20 at 06:16 PM.