New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim III: Get rich selling protective knee gear!

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Okay, so I just started the game and am on the way to High Hrothgar. I've had all sorts of trouble getting there, killed by giants on the road, reload try a different way and get attacked by a dragon. Try again a different way and make it, but then on the path of 7000 steps get attacked by some trolls and killed.
    I'd just keep trying. I was playing something pretty similar to you my first time through, the troll took me about three tries (I was about level seven.), but I beat it by backpedaling and using flames while Lydia shot him. When you run out of mana or he's about to hit you just FUS real quick.

Stay away from giants, and they shouldn't bother you. Run near the guards for dragons. Bandits seem to make up most other enemies, and they aren't too bad.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I'm a wizard with the archmage robes and no smithing skill. The amount of effort involved in making dragon armour makes it completely not worth it for me.
    Wait wait wait. Effort? What effort? You're pretty much always rolling in gold, even more so if you find the iron mines, mine all the veins and then Transmute them all to gold and make jewelry and then use the money to buy even more ores and stuff from blacksmiths.

In fact, Smithing has to be one of the easiest skills to level up.
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

3. - Top - End - #813
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ruby34 View Post
    I'd just keep trying. I was playing something pretty similar to you my first time through, the troll took me about three tries (I was about level seven.), but I beat it by backpedaling and using flames while Lydia shot him. When you run out of mana or he's about to hit you just FUS real quick.

Stay away from giants, and they shouldn't bother you. Run near the guards for dragons. Bandits seem to make up most other enemies, and they aren't too bad.

Well the dragon attack was far away from any town, it was really random. So I couldn't take it back to the guards. I did admittedly attack the giant first, so that one was my fault. There were two other deaths I forgot to mention. One was my fault (bought a horse, decided to go mountain climbing, fell off the mountain, killed the horse and died), and one where I died to a sabertooth something.

But you mention having Lydia, where are you supposed to pick her up at? I never got a companion. I had one mercenary guy offer to follow me for 500g, but that was too pricey for me. I assume there are cheaper/free companions I can pick up at this point in the game?

Lets see you have the companions, mages, thieves or dark brotherhood. Bards too but that's only a handful of quests. You could also randomly explore since some quests start right in front of or inside a dungeon or you could talk to random people in random towns and you'll find plenty of quests. Finally you could simply sprint past everything on the 7000 steps and hope you can make it inside before they catch you.
    This comment did in fact encourage me to find out there is a sprint button, something I was unaware of before. That should help a lot. Also, I was thinking about joining the companions, but it seemed out of the way so I wanted to put it off a bit. I also remembered hearing to avoid sidequesting too much until getting to high hrothgar, it just feels like I'm a little under leveled or under equipped for it at this point. If it's normal to have trouble with trolls without kiting though, then I guess I'll find a companion and try again.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
    Wait wait wait. Effort? What effort? You're pretty much always rolling in gold, even more so if you find the iron mines, mine all the veins and then Transmute them all to gold and make jewelry and then use the money to buy even more ores and stuff from blacksmiths.

I think it's the "mine all the mines, transmute it all, make jewelry and sell them" grind that he is counting as too much effort, it's certainly what's stopping me from leveling up any of the crafting skills, except for enchantment for which the grind is "shoot everything with my soul trap bow before killing them and spend 2 minutes to enchant everything before I sell it".
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    I think it's the "mine all the mines, transmute it all, make jewelry and sell them" grind that he is counting as too much effort, it's certainly what's stopping me from leveling up any of the crafting skills, except for enchantment for which the grind is "shoot everything with my soul trap bow before killing them and spend 2 minutes to enchant everything before I sell it".
    He could also level it up enough to craft dwarven stuff and fill up his leftover inventory with smeltable dwarven crap everytime he enters dwemer ruins. It's what I did (before I went nuts and decided I wanted to smelt everything in one huge dungeon. Took me 6 trips and ended up giving me few hundred ingots).
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    But you mention having Lydia, where are you supposed to pick her up at? I never got a companion. I had one mercenary guy offer to follow me for 500g, but that was too pricey for me. I assume there are cheaper/free companions I can pick up at this point in the game?
    You get Lydia automatically when you become Thane of Whiterun, she stands near the door, and you can just tell her to follow you when you leave. Free, and you've probably completed the quest already.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ruby34 View Post
    You get Lydia automatically when you become Thane of Whiterun, she stands near the door, and you can just tell her to follow you when you leave. Free, and you've probably completed the quest already.
    Yep, completed the quest, didn't even see her standing there. Ill have to run back and grab her. Thank god for fast travel.
    Last edited by Seerow; 2011-12-26 at 11:57 PM.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

8. - Top - End - #818
    Colossus in the Playground

Easy? Sure. But instead of playing Mine Simulator 2012, I could be actually enjoying the game I paid for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

Easy? Sure. But instead of playing Mine Simulator 2012, I could be actually enjoying the game I paid for.
    This is why my brother isn't too keen on Skyrim, despite loving Morrowind:

"I've already GOT Minecraft, and I can do much more in that than I could ever do in Skyrim."

He feels Skyrim is too limited compared to Minecraft, is dissapointed that you can't tell both the Imperials and Stormcloaks to go hang themselves and take over Skyrim yourself, and that you can't actually play the musical instruments you may find.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

You're acting like you'd spend an 8 hour sitting hitting rocks and making daggers just to level up once. It honestly does not take that long.

Besides, you need a lot of money to buy all 5 houses and upgrade them. This goes a long way towards that.
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!

11. - Top - End - #821

Besides, you need a lot of money to buy all 5 houses and upgrade them. This goes a long way towards that.
    Do what now? This isn't the Sims, this is Elder Scrolls, a game about stealing everything in the world while setting bandits on fire with your mind.

Unrelated: What is it with dragons who just fly roaring overhead, and don't appear as enemies? I get excited, and then they just fly away.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #822
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Do what now? This isn't the Sims, this is Elder Scrolls, a game about stealing everything in the world while setting bandits on fire with your mind.

Unrelated: What is it with dragons who just fly roaring overhead, and don't appear as enemies? I get excited, and then they just fly away.
    You know how you have dragons that shoot frost, and dragons that shoot fire?

These ones are like that, but they shoot disappointment.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

So wait. Every game that has the ability to buy houses should automatically be dumped in favor of the Sims, just like every game with mining should be dumped in favor of Minecraft, because OBVIOUSLY you can only have one game about one specific thing and any others should be ignored?

Honestly. Saying "HURR DURR Y SHOULD I MINE IN SKYRIM I HAS MINECRAFT" is just ridiculous.

Next thing you'll be telling me that you don't take a follower because if you wanted to do that, you'd play Baldur's Gate and have 5 of them.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Titan in the Playground

So wait. Every game that has the ability to buy houses should automatically be dumped in favor of the Sims, just like every game with mining should be dumped in favor of Minecraft, because OBVIOUSLY you can only have one game about one specific thing and any others should be ignored?

Honestly. Saying "HURR DURR Y SHOULD I MINE IN SKYRIM I HAS MINECRAFT" is just ridiculous.

Next thing you'll be telling me that you don't take a follower because if you wanted to do that, you'd play Baldur's Gate and have 5 of them.
    No, no, no. My brother isn't concerned about the mining aspect. That isn't the connection he's drawing. It's that it's an open-world game with RPG elements. He feels Minecraft is a lot more flexible, since most of the game is player-driven. You decide what you want to do and the game allows you to do it. He feels Skyrim is too restricting, that he can't just wander around doing whatever he wants because there are quests and he can't leave a physical impact on the world and he can't. Play. Musical. Instruments.

It's not "HURR DURR Y SHOULD I MINE IN SKYRIM I HAS MINECRAFT." It's "Why should I play Skyrim AT ALL when Minecraft gives me more freedom."
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2011-12-27 at 12:32 AM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

15. - Top - End - #825

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post

These ones are like that, but they shoot disappointment.
    The most powerful Thu'um of them all.

Lydia is as much of a hindrance as she is help, but at least she doesn't want me to gather my party before venturing forth.

I don't own Minecraft, because I don't want to play a game about mining. I don't own the Sims, because I don't want to play a game about housekeeping. I own Skyrim because I want to play a game about running around a huge sandbox world ignoring quests and looting smoking fresh corpses. If you enjoy mining and housekeeping then I have nothing against that, but there are other ways to play the game than getting a day job as miner/real estate tycoon.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

Mining is only part of Minecraft. Like in Skyrim, you use what you've mined to make stuff. He's just disappointed that you can only make armor and weapons in Skyrim, and can't build your own castle or alter the landscape as you see fit.

17. - Top - End - #827

Eh. Building a castle is much more involved than making a couple cubes of stone and stacking them up, while it's relatively simple to smith stuff when you already have all the equipment for it laid out for you.

Now, blowing up a castle? Much simpler, and disappointing that you cannot do this.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

18. - Top - End - #828
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Actually I suspect it / them to be Anduin on his way to resurrect another dead dragon. Aka it's for atmosphere.

Speaking of dragons; as a sneaker... Anyone but me think it looks bad when you go to a dragon's nest / peak and see a skeleton resting on the dragon wall, and when you pelt it with an arrow it suddenly is a living dragon taking off?

Also, I agree about the houses: Urzul is a wanderer and a "sniekthief"... the only times she spend in her house(s) is when I (un)load loot. The only reason she bought the house in Riften was to improve her standing with the community there.

I think she will move the family to Breezehome simply because although it's a small house, the Companion Leadership is the one part of her persona she officially wants to promote (besides, she is already lying to her wife about being a member of the thieves guild, so hey).

I don't own the Sims, because I don't want to play a game about housekeeping
    Sims is not about housekeeping. It's about putting innocent people in a world ruled by Eldrich Abominations (you).
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2011-12-27 at 02:12 AM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

19. - Top - End - #829

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Actually I suspect it / them to be Anduin on his way to resurrect another dead dragon. Aka it's for atmosphere.
    I was riding west to Rorikstead when just off the side of the road, I saw Anduin resurrecting someone. So I blasted that someone full of firebolts and he died before even getting his skin, Anduin flew off and the weird column of energy didn't disappear. Was kind of disappointing.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

20. - Top - End - #830
    Titan in the Playground

I was riding west to Rorikstead when just off the side of the road, I saw Anduin resurrecting someone. So I blasted that someone full of firebolts and he died before even getting his skin, Anduin flew off and the weird column of energy didn't disappear. Was kind of disappointing.
    Speaking of disappointing:

I killed the same dragon twice this weekend. Nice bug, that.

To clarify: There is a tower where you for some reason can get a bounty for the same dragon from two different barkeeps (at least). What happened was that in Ivarstead I got the bounty to kill the dragon in the tower; I did so and then went to Riften and claimed my bounty. After that I talked to the barkeep in Riften, who gave me the exact same bounty.

The dragon was back, and I could kill it and loot it, but since it already had given me it's soul, it didn't dissolve into a skeleton the second time.

Oh well.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

21. - Top - End - #831

No, don't you see? This is Anduin's terrible plan, to defeat the Dragonborn's power by raising dragons without their souls. None are safe!
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

22. - Top - End - #832
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    There should be three pillars in the room with animals on them (whale, snake, eagle iirc) you need to turn those so the correct animal for each pillar faces out and then pull the lever to open the gate. The clues to which animal is the correct one for each pillar is alwas found inside the room with the pillars.
    Thanks!

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

23. - Top - End - #833
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Speaking of disappointing:

I killed the same dragon twice this weekend. Nice bug, that.

To clarify: There is a tower where you for some reason can get a bounty for the same dragon from two different barkeeps (at least). What happened was that in Ivarstead I got the bounty to kill the dragon in the tower; I did so and then went to Riften and claimed my bounty. After that I talked to the barkeep in Riften, who gave me the exact same bounty.

The dragon was back, and I could kill it and loot it, but since it already had given me it's soul, it didn't dissolve into a skeleton the second time.

Oh well.
    I think Dragons might also have a spawn timer, I seem to recall a dragon wall in the marshy lands southeast of windhelm that I had to clear out a few times.
    I'm not bad, I just aim that way ~my own comment on my Call of Duty abilities.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derthric View Post
    I think Dragons might also have a spawn timer, I seem to recall a dragon wall in the marshy lands southeast of windhelm that I had to clear out a few times.
    But if it is a proper respawn then the dragon should have burnt.

Besides, as far as I understand it, any area that actually get a "cleared" under it on the world map is a non-respawn area?

25. - Top - End - #835
    Titan in the Playground

You're right that the Greybeards don't come out. But the troll will follow you inside.

As for mage companions there are a couple of them in the College of Winterhold. You'll need to at least complete one of the quests for the college so you can complete miniquests for them to get them as followers. But they're free.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ettin in the Playground

Besides, as far as I understand it, any area that actually get a "cleared" under it on the world map is a non-respawn area?
    I think it just respawns moer slowly. I've revisited some of the areas around Whiterun several times on bounty quests and always found them fully stocked.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

27. - Top - End - #837
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    I think it just respawns moer slowly. I've revisited some of the areas around Whiterun several times on bounty quests and always found them fully stocked.
    Hmm... You know the bandit fort that is also a bridge? No respawn yet, after about 2 months game time, but the CHESTS are refilled occasionally.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure yet, but I may have accidentally gotten the entirety of Markarth mad at me. I'd go and find out, but I kind of fled the city and I'm a little afraid of going back. Plus, I already looted ALL of the ingot-able metal from their dwemer site. And made it into ingots. Over 250 of them.

I don't think there's a weapon merchant in that city who isn't understocked on gold, and overstocked on legendary Dwarven bows. Let's add 'destroying the economy' to my list of unintentional crimes there.

Also, I am greatly amused by the fact that the Scholar there, they guy who loves to study Dwemer stuff, would have basically watched me walk out with over 1,000 pounds of non-renewable, priceless Dwemer metal things stuffed into my backpack, as I whistled the whole way and pretended I wasn't plundering his dig site at all. It took a long time, that stuff is heavy. On the plus side, my home in Whiterun now has a genuine Dwarven Centurion power core as a decoration on one of its shelves.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

29. - Top - End - #839
    Bugbear in the Playground

Soooo. Some stuff I have found while playing Skyrim over this last week:

1) Found an awesome dagger. Moss Mother Cavern, almost directly west and a little north of the Lady Stone. There's a guy outside who's wounded and will ask you for a healing potion (of any kind), or you can just zap him with Healing Hands. He'll give you a quest to go into the cavern with him and kill three spriggans. Do it, and he'll give you Valdr's Lucky Dagger, which is a unenchanted steel dagger carrying a 25% crit chance. Smith it up to max levels, use Elemental Fury, murder everything.

2) Stumbled into Volsung. At level 9, as a two-hander without any ranged capabilities or having touched the crafting system. Jumped my way up a mountain where I obviously wasn't supposed to do that, found a word wall, and out popped a Dragon Priest, scaring the crap out of me. Took me eight tries (he took off 9/10 of my health with each Icy Spear) and almost thirty minutes, but I finally managed to kill him. The mask is cool, but I wish it was heavy armor.

3) Finished the Companion's quest line. Wuuthrad the Racist Axe is amazing, even against non-elves. Also glad to see that they threw in a nice shield at the end for sword and boarders. Felt kind of... lacking, though. Think it was probably the weakest of the quest lines I've play so far.

4) Found that Clear Skies is broken as hell. It acts almost exactly like FUS if you use it on someone (staggering them and dropping them to a knee), and it has a recharge time of 4 seconds. With an Amulet of Talos, I could almost stunlock people.

5) Decided that Skyrim has improved over Oblivion in literally every single possible way. I'll make another list.
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2011-12-27 at 07:16 AM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

Dude, you should let the evil villian finish his monologue (resurrecting someone), or the DM (world editer) will get even.

Man, picking a master lock at level 9 took 8 tries with 5 picks. A lot of reloads.