New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Clandestine Operations playtest - "the Rooks"

Rickel looks dazed for a moment, and, with a cry of "You tricked us", begins to reach toward his belt before looking at the Captain and returning his hands to above the table.

Guile (the impression he's trying to give is that he'd like to attack Seamus but keeping his hands in view is more important):
    (1d20+5)[24]

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The following only works if Lydia is close enough to hear and interact, I'll assume she's watching through a window. I'll replace her on the map where I'm guessing she'd be.

Lydia spots the combat, curses, and pulls her knives. No time for any finesse, she'd have to distract the guards while Seamus could get away. She tumbled in through a window and shouts out Die Imperialist scum!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mobility for the window
    (1d20+7)[16]
    LGBTA+itP

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Eldest:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have two actions per round. Provided the knife wasn't hidden, you can draw and throw along with coming through the window, I do believe.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Cieyrin
    Spoiler
    Show
    I only have a long knife and a dagger, so I think I should hold onto them for the +2 to fighting and +3 to parry. Plus all I'm trying to do is distract them so Seamus can get away, so combat is not my intention.
    LGBTA+itP

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Cieyrin
    Spoiler
    Show
    I only have a long knife and a dagger, so I think I should hold onto them for the +2 to fighting and +3 to parry. Plus all I'm trying to do is distract them so Seamus can get away, so combat is not my intention.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, that is different and not at all the same. At least there's only 3 of them and 4 of us at this point...
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

(This experimental initiative system may be confusing but bear with me.)

Lydia crashes through a window and draws her weapons.

Spoiler
    Show

Breaking through a window would be a Fighting check rather than a Mobility check when the window is not open, but I'll let it slide this time.

Seamus splashes the wine onto Ecker's face, who loses one action and takes a -2 penalty on any checks that rely on vision (Archery, Awareness, etc.) until the end of his next round.

"Get him!"

Ecker starts loading his crossbow. (Initiative = Archery (1d20+2)[9])

Heimler pursues Seamus. (Initiative = Mobility (1d20+2)[5])

Von Richter also follows Seamus. (Initiative = Mobility (1d20+0)[1])

Seira and Rickel should also roll initiative. The skill you'll use for initiative depends on your first action you're going to take in the round.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm beginning to realize that the experimental initiative system may not work as well as I wanted, so I'll probably change it once this scenario is over... When I - the GM and game designer - have to start thinking "ok, how does this actually work.." there's a reason to change the rules. At least I rolled really badly, so you should be able to beat their inits.
    Last edited by Kensen; 2011-12-20 at 03:00 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    What action I'll be taking depends on the situation at the time. It'll be an attack, but whether it's a fake attack against Lydia or a real one against the enemy depends on the situation.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

Initiative (Archery): (1d20+10)[19]

Pulling away from Rickel, I draw out my bow and nock an arrow, trying to decide who to aim at.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can we "ready" an action? Like, can I say that I launch my arrow at the first guard to catch up to Seamus as soon as he does so, initiative permitting?
    Spoiler: My Glowing Reviews
    Show

Laura is a really good GM. She doesn't take ****.
    Good campaign. I do remain my favorite GM, of course, but second-best is pretty good!
    Just write Game of Thrones already.
    I hate that Laura's built out this world enough that we can walk into a church full of nudists and my first thought is, "Oh, it's these guys..."
    This is probably the most enjoyable campaign I've ever played in. It's really stressful, but enjoyable!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So was Lydia jumping in through a window and pulling out her knives her action for the round? And Rickel's the only one who has yet to declare what he's doing this round, correct?
    LGBTA+itP

10. - Top - End - #100

Spoiler
    Show

Yes, you can "ready" an action.

And yes, I need Rickel's init so I'll know in which order the actions will be resolved. Seamus and Lydia sort of seized the initiative, so they got to act first without rolling for init.

Sorry about the confusion, I'll fix the initiative rules before the second part of the playtest.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Not sure what the skill is, so I'll just roll the natural roll and let you add the relevant modifier:

(1d20)[11]

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, so that's 21 initiative, as throwing is legerdemain (or was last I checked, anyway.)

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yitzi View Post
    Ok, so that's 21 initiative, as throwing is legerdemain (or was last I checked, anyway.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yep, it is.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Rickel realizes that the odds are on their side now, and stands up, drops a knife into his hand, and throws it at the Captain's legs, aiming to cripple (not kill).

(1d20+11)[25]

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, brilliant. Lydia mutters.
    She closes with one of the guards, the one with the crossbow, and stabs at him with her longer knife, keeping the main gauche close to her body to deflect any attacks by others. Definitively getting more combat practice when this is over...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fighting
    (1d20+5)[22]
    I'm attacking Ecker.
    Now as I understand it, either A) Seamus and Lydia got a surprise round, and now it's regular combat, B) that was regular combat, and Seamus and Lydia went first because they started it, or C) something else. But everyone has said what they're doing, and I'm pretty sure Lydia is near the top on initiative, so I'll just post what she's doing next and leave it to Kensen to sort out.
    LGBTA+itP

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Seamus flips his throwing dagger into a proper grip and throws it at Heimler's throat, simultaneously drawing out another throwing dagger.

Legerdemain: (1d20+5)[21]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

I loose my arrow at the first guard to reach Seamus. Archery: (1d20+10)[24]
    Show

Good campaign. I do remain my favorite GM, of course, but second-best is pretty good!
    I hate that Laura's built out this world enough that we can walk into a church full of nudists and my first thought is, "Oh, it's these guys..."
    This is probably the most enjoyable campaign I've ever played in. It's really stressful, but enjoyable!

18. - Top - End - #108

(So this is how it went... in initiative order. )

Rickel's throwing knife hits the captain in the thigh. The throw was very accurate, it didn't hit any major arteries but caused enough pain for the captain's knees to buckle. He falls on his back wailing in pain.

Seira's arrow drops Heimler, who's running after Seamus.

Wiping Seamus's wine off his face, Ecker manages to load his crossbow. He looks around and realizes Heimler is dead or dying and the captain is badly injured.

"Scheisse! I surrender! Don't kill me!"

While lying on his back, the captain draws his sword and rises to a kneeling position, his face distorted in anguish.

"Pigs! Cowards! Resistance scum! Fight like men!"

It's Lydia's and Seamus's turn next, and you rolled well enough to kill Ecker. Killing a soldier who's already surrendered may affect the Resistance's reputation among the common people. (Some will consider the act heroic, while others will frown upon unnecessary killing.)

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, somebody shut the honorable captain up, please. Lydia stares silently at the soldier she was going to kill seconds ago. What to do with you...? I say we take him too. Anybody else?
    Last edited by Eldest; 2011-12-21 at 11:46 AM.
    LGBTA+itP

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

"Let's see if he means what he said about surrendering". Rickel turns to Ecker. "Go take your captain's sword away from him, and drop it on the table, and we'll let you both live."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Seamus walks back around the fireplace, flipping his dagger idly. Unload that crossbow and put the bolt and bow on the table first. If you come quietly, no harm will come to you. The Resistance has morals, which is more than I can say for the Empire. He turns his eyes to the Captain and a cold glint enters his eyes. And for the record, Captain, my name is Seamus, not Sean. Sean was my brother that your forces killed for the simple act of giving food from his bakery to the poor, which cost him the bakery in flames and him burned with it. Much as I'd like to gut you here and now, I'm not like you and my kind brother would look on me in shame for spilling blood senselessly. Without removing his gaze from the Captain, Seamus continues. Lydia, could you be a dear and knock the good Captain out? I think he'll be much better managed if he wasn't awake for this. I'll make sure Heimler here gets to see another day.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

22. - Top - End - #112

Ecker nods and slowly places the crossbow on the table and removes the bolt.

The captain glares at him angrily. "You coward!"

He looks at Seamus. "That's what the Resistance is? Bitter men and women who lost somebody in the war? Bitter because someone wronged against you? And now you blame the Empire for what one man did? Do you not see that the continent of Aurelia is now united under one banner, and there is no need for further wars! We gave you PEACE!"

As a warning to anyone approaching, he sweeps his sword in wide arcs.

"I warn you, Ecker! Take one step closer and you'll die like a traitor should!"

Ecker looks equally afraid of both the rebels and the angry captain. He speaks to Lydia: "Don't make me do this... he'll kill me."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, for God's sake... I roll my eyes, nock another arrow and shoot at Ecker. (1d20+10)[27]

If I miss, I curse under my breath and say, Someone else deal with him, we have more important matters to attend to. Namely, the hole in my stomach.

If I hit, I shrug at what I can only assume are looks of shock from my fellow rebels and say, What? We're on a tight schedule, and in case you haven't noticed, I have a gaping hole in my stomach right now. I'd appreciate it if we could get on with things before it gets infected.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114

With a sickening pop, the arrow plunges though Ecker's left eye and enters the brain, killing him instantly. His body twitches on the ground for a moment, though.

Spoiler
    Show

First I was like and then I was .

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

You're right, we are on a tight schedule. So we will talk about this... later. Now, captain, put down that sword before I lose my temper, grab a staff, and club you until you stop moving from outside of your reach. I have not had a good day.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Guile check (if it applies for convincing him things will not go his way if he doesn't cooperate)
    (1d20+5)[25]
    Last edited by Eldest; 2011-12-21 at 05:25 PM.
    LGBTA+itP

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So what's that serving girl been doing this whole time? An awareness check, if needed: (1d20+8)[13]
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Rickel looks angrily at the Captain. "No, the resistance isn't people upset about losses in the war. We're angry at what happened after the war. Every day, your forces keep harming people for no reason. Don't try to claim that life under your rule is better, for it clearly isn't."

Spoiler
    Show
    What is there in the area that can be used as an improvised reach weapon?

Awareness:
    (1d20+5)[18]

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I can just throw chairs at him. I'm just waiting for Kensen to decide if he drops the sword or not. If not, it's improvising time.
    Also...
    So what's that serving girl been doing this whole time?
    Probably looking like this:
    LGBTA+itP

29. - Top - End - #119

The captain, whether very stubborn or just afraid to let rebels decide his fate, gets up to his feet and pulls out the throwing knife. He keeps his left hand on the wound, trying to prevent blood loss and begins limping towards the lobby, holding his sword ready to parry or strike.

"I... will... not... yield..."

You spot the serving girl peering out of a little window in the kitchen door. Beside him, you see a man with big cheeks and a moustache, presumably the chef.

There are chairs and tankards and plates that will work just fine as improvised thrown weapons.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

You have got to be kidding me. Fine. Lydia picks up a chair and hurls it at the captain, trying to only knock him out. She keeps alert for what he plans to do with the knife, though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fighting (for throwing a large thing, yes?)
    (1d20+3)[20] With no bonus other than the skill.
    LGBTA+itP