New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXIV: There is Pony of it, no exceptions!

Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    So, hey! I've finished a pict I've been working on for the last few days. Take a look!
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's....uh, it's quite a bit too big to post in the thread. Sorry. Here's a link instead!
    Ha! I JUST got linked to this and ponyfoldered it <3
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

So, hey! I've finished a pict I've been working on for the last few days. Take a look!
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's....uh, it's quite a bit too big to post in the thread. Sorry. Here's a link instead!
    That's amazing. So. Freaking. Amazing.

Is it all right for me to use it as my desktop background? :3
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You guys think the Windigos are gunna come back?

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nope. This is a one shot show. never expect anyone to come back.
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    Been reading Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons.

What the... See, this fic takes all the grimdark that's in FO:E and... doesn't add new elements. Instead, it just takes what's there and takes it to its logical conclusion.

I've just witnessed an interrogation by raider. Not somepony being interrogated by a raider. No, it was by the hero. The interrogation was made using a raider. I said Littlepip was like the Hobo With A Shotgun. Security is like Marv from Sin City, except even more ruthless, once you piss her off. Our protagonist, ladies and gentlemen. And the worst part is, the circumstances warranted that.

The amazing thing about this fic is that it found a reasonable explanation for the raiders' absurd violence.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They weren't just evil drug addicts. They're infected by a biological disease that sponges their brains.

And the Enclave is trying to turn it into a bioweapon, if they haven't already.
    Yep. Horizons is amazing. Cannot wait until they manage to meet a certain King, because there is quite a bit of buildup to that. Also, on raiders: not every raider is infected with that virus. After all, if that was the case, the world would be (more) utterly screwed over. Rather, most are just simply crazy, but that virus riddles ones head with holes. That makes ponies like the Reapers even more scary, because they are at the top of there games. Which makes it worse is that some completly sane ponies turn to cannablism by choice.

Also, is it just me, or is his ability to discribe horrible things getting better? I was positivly sickened by the Hospital, but the events that happened within chapter 22 actualy made me nauseous. Ugg, never will I read the word "bloated" or the sentance "Hey, her liver grew back!" the same way ever again. Ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    That is extremely unlikely. No villains have appeared after the episode or two-parter they premiered in (Well, there was Glueblood, but he was in the background and he was more of an antagonist.) The ending did imply they may return if ponies feud again, but I don't see any way the three races could end up in a large-scale conflict with one another again. It's probably a good idea to never seriously expect anyone to return, lest you just set yourself up for disappointment.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2011-12-18 at 01:32 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Verb the Noun View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Female officers are still referred to as "sir". Also Privet Pansy calls Commander Hurricane a her in the "I hate her more I hate you guys" scene.
    Good to know, thanks!

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    Guys guys guys.
    I have the answer to all of your questions.

Spoiler
    Show
    It was in the script. That's why.
    Preposterous. Most theories I can accept, but this one is just too far out.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    That's amazing. So. Freaking. Amazing.

Is it all right for me to use it as my desktop background? :3
    Sure it is; after all, every man has a sovereign right to his computer desktop.

New episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I could've sworn that in Spike's introduction he said "a mysterious wizard". I got about 3/4 of the way through before I realized that no wizards were to be appearing.
    Windigos were neat, though. I love it when this show throws in cool monsters.
    Last edited by RobD; 2011-12-18 at 02:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    Guys guys guys.
    I have the answer to all of your questions.

Spoiler
    Show
    It was in the script. That's why.
    This comment actually raised an interesting question for me. Is it possible to have bad writers in the pony universe? I'm sure there are some amateur writers around (e.g. Twilight's letters when her cutie mark is magic), but presumably anypony that pursued a writing career would get a writing cutie mark that would demonstrate her skill at writing. If a pony got some other cutie mark, she would be highly unlikely to go into a career as a professional writer.

Thinking about it, the only way I could see the pony universe relying on bad writing for major productions would be if writing cutie marks were so rare that there aren't enough of them to go around. And if that were true, pony writers might be in high demand and would live very wealthy and comfortable lives when they weren't writing.

...And somehow I just reached the conclusion that good fanfiction writers could get ponified and live like kings/queens.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    This comment actually raised an interesting question for me. Is it possible to have bad writers in the pony universe? I'm sure there are some amateur writers around (e.g. Twilight's letters when her cutie mark is magic), but presumably anypony that pursued a writing career would get a writing cutie mark that would demonstrate her skill at writing. If a pony got some other cutie mark, she would be highly unlikely to go into a career as a professional writer.

Thinking about it, the only way I could see the pony universe relying on bad writing for major productions would be if writing cutie marks were so rare that there aren't enough of them to go around. And if that were true, pony writers might be in high demand and would live very wealthy and comfortable lives when they weren't writing.

...And somehow I just reached the conclusion that good fanfiction writers could get ponified and live like kings/queens.
    naw...just like here im sure bad writers could make a living
    --either through Patronage(we have seen sycophantic behavior among the "upper class" so someone mentions to a "lesser" they have a nephew that fancies himself a writer and to impress their "better" someone will fund his play/publish his book)
    --or through prolific writing of trashy romance novels(like we see Rarity reading in so many fanfics...she just seems the type)
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

12. - Top - End - #222

To be fair, it depends on the situation. A earth pony that could write legably with is mouth could make a fortune on the novalty alown. A unicorn using magic would be nothing special, but juging from the one peice of actual writing we have, it would take a lot of time to learn eastern european-type letters. Hence the use of pictures on common items. Notably, most writing might be done by nonpony scribes, for thumbs would make things a whole lot easier to deal with the issuse of handling a pen. Not so much baby dragons, but creatures with actual hands like Dimond dogs or even griffons. As such, most things handwritten could be unicorn made, but others find it cheaper to have another creature to write it down.

As for writing cuti marks: we have seen a few scroll-and-paper cutimarks on the flanks of more than a few backround ponies, but those could mean anything from producing the paper and ink to actual writing. Its feasable, and there are ponies for everything, but they are probably part of the stuck-up unicorn elite.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Write it brony.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    To be fair, it depends on the situation. A earth pony that could write legably with is mouth could make a fortune on the novalty alown. A unicorn using magic would be nothing special, but juging from the one peice of actual writing we have, it would take a lot of time to learn eastern european-type letters. Hence the use of pictures on common items. Notably, most writing might be done by nonpony scribes, for thumbs would make things a whole lot easier to deal with the issuse of handling a pen. Not so much baby dragons, but creatures with actual hands like Dimond dogs or even griffons. As such, most things handwritten could be unicorn made, but others find it cheaper to have another creature to write it down.
    I would note that we have seen more ponies write with their mouths, than we have seen Unicorns write with magic. So really I would think that earth ponies being able to write is more like basic education than any sort of novelty, remember the ponies do seem to have a rather fine manipulation through their mouths, not just in writing but also for hammering and painting and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion

I would imagine that not every writer has a writing cutie mark, just the best of them. If nothing else there would be autobiographies written by famous ponies and text books written by ponies with marks about research of the subject at hand.
    Now that I think about it, not even every celebrated writer would necessarily have a writing mark, I mean if Tolkien had been a pony he would probably have a linguistic cutie mark.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, it's time to make a new gets-maintained-each-thread sort of post.

Here are all the IRC logs I've got since I started having GadLog save them to DropBox:
    #newponyepisode

#ponythreadRP

Please keep in mind that, since I lack an internet capable desktop, GadLog is run off of a laptop. This means that, in addition to normal human and machine fallibility, when my laptop needs to leave home, there will regrettably be gaps.
    Last edited by Gadora; 2011-12-23 at 03:25 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226

Quote Originally Posted by vegetalss4 View Post
    I would imagine that not every writer has a writing cutie mark, just the best of them. If nothing else there would be autobiographies written by famous ponies and text books written by ponies with marks about research of the subject at hand.
    Now that I think about it, not even every celebrated writer would necessarily have a writing mark, I mean if Tolkien had been a pony he would probably have a linguistic cutie mark.
    A block of small text of elvish deerish runes?

Now I am wondering what Paolinis would look like.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gadora View Post
    Okay, it's time to make a new gets-maintained-each-thread sort of post.

Here are all the IRC logs I've got since I started having GadLog save them to DropBox:
    #newponyepisode

#ponythread

#ponythreadRP
    Spoiler
    Show
    December 17, 2011

Dec 18-Dec 24
    Spoiler
    Show

Please keep in mind that, since I lack an internet capable desktop, GadLog is run off of a laptop. This means that, in addition to normal human and machine fallibility, when my laptop needs to leave home, there will regrettably be gaps.
    Ack! The zaniness! That could influence people's opinons of meeeee!

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

So long as you don't display an idiosyncratic, easily identifiable personality, you'll be fine. Just discard your handle and acquire a new one.
    Last edited by Newman; 2011-12-18 at 04:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

So long as you don't display an idiosyncratic, easily identifiable personality, you'll be fine. Just discard your handle and acquire a new one.
    ...I don't want to have to reintroduce myself to all my friends! And I think they all like the idiosyncratic personality... things I display.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

So.... this pic was on EqD (episode 11 spoilers)
    Spoiler
    Show
    See that fresco on the right? What kinda monster do you think that is? Looks vaguely draconic...

Anyway, I mentioned doing a bit of Telephone Pictionary a while back. I was wondering if anyone was still interested in doing it? I'm setting one up on Canterlot.com and was thinking that maybe a big cross-board game might be fun. We have 14 or 15 players or so already. Let me know here or through PM, and if there's enough interest, I'll set up a topic in the Structured games section and we'll go from there.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    See that fresco on the right? What kinda monster do you think that is? Looks vaguely draconic...

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like a sea serpent. But since it's a pegasus city, maybe it's a sky serpent?

22. - Top - End - #232

Spoiler
    Show

Going from the lack of lower legs, could be a Linnorm. On the other hand, I wonder if they knew that a thing called a Drakon existed in greek myth? Basicly, it was a gigantic serpent-thing with forlegs. Fits the greek theme, at least. Makes me wonder if there is a whole greek-themed area out there that has all the varying animal monsters of greek myth as wildlife.

On the other hand, Steven Magnet could have had some badflank ancestors.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like a sea serpent. But since it's a pegasus city, maybe it's a sky serpent?
    Spoiler
    Show
    does not have the usual feathers that go along with that sort of creature. What is the blurred thing to the right? Cant tell if its a wing or a claw.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2011-12-18 at 05:42 PM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athaniar View Post
    Whoa. That's awesome. You're awesome.

Spoiler
    Show
    You know, the alicorn to the left on the new flag reminds me of Lix's avatar. ^^

Spoiler
    Show
    Lixie founded Equestria? That explains ... alot

Quote Originally Posted by Athaniar View Post
    Is that the Rainbow of Light from G1?
    I can't see what you're referring to in that pic? Looks to me it's just Twi and Celestia sharing an apple by a tree.

Long Distance has updated for those of you who follow it. Mostly a few rewrites, lengthening and solidifying. Datecoded from last edits. Feedback is appreciated.
    Quoted to read when I get home tonight.

...I don't want to have to reintroduce myself to all my friends! And I think they all like the idiosyncratic personality... things I display.
    Yay idiosyncracy!

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

See, the thing is, the best writers tend to write what they know. So if your super special talent is writing itself, then, well. Your books will surely be full of excellent, empty but superbly crafted prose.

The truly excellent pony-novels would come from experts in other fields, who just so happen to be literate enough not embarrass themselves. Whether their talent is storytelling, agriculture, magic, cookery or what have you, they will be the books that really catch ponies imaginations.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Well you can't have your cake and eat it. Either you're anonymous, friendless and blend into genericness in such a way that, were people to start hating you, you could simply come back with another name and no-one would notice (automatically losing touch with everyone and having to start every relationship from scratch), or you develop a well-known personality that you will carry like a flagship, allowing people to recognize you regardless of handle. Some people have such an irrepressible personality that they have no choice in the matter. People who have interacted with them for a sufficient time will recognize them no matter what disguise they try to don. These people must as careful about their Internet behavior and statements as they would be in Real Life, much more so even. since there is no such thing as privacy, and your words are instantaneously recordable and infintely reproductible to a universal audience regardless of your will: you have no legal power over them, unlike, say, what happens on a private discussion with your friends.

So, if you're going to do things that might affect people's opinion of you, especially if there is the faintest trail that would allow one to trace you to your real-life persona, be-ware. Be very very wary.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    S2:E11
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm never calling it that.
    Your picture broked. Care to repost it? I'm curious to see what you put up.

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    Unicorns couldn't really wear rings on their horns anyway unless they constantly used their magic to keep them there...if they nodded their heads the ring would slide right off since the horns are tapered fairly sharply
    Unless the rings were set up like a nut and screws in through those little threads unicorns have in their horns.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    Okay, my two bits to pony history:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Celestia and Luna were always deities, but not physical deities. This explains why they were on the Equestrian banner (other than a potential in-universe of Did Not Do The Research), when they didn't rule Equestria. Celestia and Luna were presented in a pony form for the same reasons why ancient civilizations' gods in the real world are portrayed as having a human form.
    My guess is that around when Discord decided to cause all hell to everypony, Celestia and Luna decided to take physical form to create and/or wield the Elements of Harmony to stop him.
    However, when they did stop Discord, either A: the sisters were unable to return to whence they came, B: they decided to stay out of their free will and love for the ponies. Either way, the unicorns surrender their role of controlling the sun and moon, and the Sisters take roles as princesses of Equestria.
    Until Luna gets jealous and becomes Nightmare Moon.
    New Ep?
    Spoiler
    Show

My main problem with this theory is the fact that every pony in the show seems to treat the princesses as royalty instead of gods. I'm willing to accept that they could forget things like the history of Discord and whatnot, but I can't accept the idea that they'd all randomly forget that there's a pair of gods living down the street

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow, I'm several degrees of impress.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    id call it a quetzacoatl (winged serpent from aztec legends)
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Well you can't have your cake and eat it. Either you're anonymous, friendless and blend into genericness in such a way that, were people to start hating you, you could simply come back with another name and no-one would notice (automatically losing touch with everyone and having to start every relationship from scratch), or you develop a well-known personality that you will carry like a flagship, allowing people to recognize you regardless of handle. Some people have such an irrepressible personality that they have no choice in the matter. People who have interacted with them for a sufficient time will recognize them no matter what disguise they try to don. These people must as careful about their Internet behavior and statements as they would be in Real Life, much more so even. since there is no such thing as privacy, and your words are instantaneously recordable and infintely reproductible to a universal audience regardless of your will: you have no legal power over them, unlike, say, what happens on a private discussion with your friends.

So, if you're going to do things that might affect people's opinion of you, especially if there is the faintest trail that would allow one to trace you to your real-life persona, be-ware. Be very very wary.
    *A unicorn Guardpony in full regalia walks in*

CAUTION?!?! THIS. IS. PONYSANITY!

*Throws a pie at Newman*

29. - Top - End - #239
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    See, the thing is, the best writers tend to write what they know. So if your super special talent is writing itself, then, well. Your books will surely be full of excellent, empty but superbly crafted prose.

The truly excellent pony-novels would come from experts in other fields, who just so happen to be literate enough not embarrass themselves. Whether their talent is storytelling, agriculture, magic, cookery or what have you, they will be the books that really catch ponies imaginations.
    I disagree with this on absolutely every level imaginable. Neil Gaiman, for instance, has never been kidnapped by faeries, and isn't a barely literate expert from another field. Terry Pratchett was a switchboard operator for a few years before he became a writer, and has been writing for decades since, and his talent isn't switchboard operating being applied to writing. It's writing. And I've never suffered insanity or personal trauma, I have cursory interest in economics and business but they're not what I write about, or write for - and you're telling me that my prose will always be empty and hollow?

It's taking me a lot of effort not to get personally offended.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

I disagree with this on absolutely every level imaginable. Neil Gaiman, for instance, has never been kidnapped by faeries, and isn't a barely literate expert from another field. Terry Pratchett was a switchboard operator for a few years before he became a writer, and has been writing for decades since, and his talent isn't switchboard operating being applied to writing. It's writing. And I've never suffered insanity or personal trauma, I have cursory interest in economics and business but they're not what I write about, or write for - and you're telling me that my prose will always be empty and hollow?

It's taking me a lot of effort not to get personally offended.
    *The unicorn pony notices Thanqol*

HAVE AT THEE!

*Throws a calming pie at him too.