New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What kind of flowers and chocolates do I get for a first date?

It IS best to schedule Valentines day dates early. Way early.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pika... View Post
    Um, that's an interesting concept I guess...

They get quite beautiful, you know, just google it.

And a cactus is far more versatile than a rose. It says either "unlike a rose, which quickly dies, our relationship will be both beautiful and enduring" or if you're not attractive/grumpy, "it's what's inside that counts". Or, if you get one shaped like a wiener, it says something entirely different.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2012-01-03 at 12:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    I think a better question might be why you're scheduling your first date both more than a month in advance, and for Valentine's Day to boot.
    I asked her out, she chose the date. Eh, I thought Valentine's was this month?
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pika... View Post
    I asked her out, she chose the date. Eh, I thought Valentine's was this month?
    Valentine's Day is in February, good sir.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, normally I'd say not to get her anything on the first date, but seeing as it is Valentine's Day... Don't do anything too fancy. Small chocolates. Small thing of flowers.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Relax, man. Try not to overthink it, because you have soooo much time. If it were me, I'd pick up some flowers that I thought looked pretty and were not symbolic of anything (like roses are). Chocolates are probably too much.
    I take this game with the seriousness it deserves.
    Not all that much. It's a game.

Xykon In The Playground nominee, way back when that happened.

Rebel Leader

Breakfast-atar by The Neoclassic whom I appreciate very much!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, just about every flower is symbolic of something or other, the symbolism just isn't as widely known as for roses. I'd also suggest avoiding roses, though, both for previously mentioned reasons and because roses are crazy expensive around Valentine's Day.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

My personal opinons are as follows: Giving her nothing on the first date is acceptable, and possibly even expected. Giving her anything probably displays an attitude that you genuinely care, which is a good thing. Giving her too much could come across as trying too hard, and be a little off-putting. Obviously, none of us know what she would consider too much.
    I think chocolates, or flowers, would both be safe bets, and that both together are likely on the upper end of acceptable. I can imagine some women being flattered and some being a little overwhelmed, but probably not very many (read: only the crazy ones you don't want to be dating) that would use that as their reason to never see you again. Giving her a pony, probably going overboard.

If it were me, however, I'd make the effort to go beyond the classic flowers and chocolate, and try and get her something different. Something original. You do have nearly a month and a half to come up with ideas, I think you'd impress her much more with something personal and unique, rather than the ubiquetous flowers.

Admittedly, the first time I gave my girlfriend a gift was at Christmas, before we were dating, and Christmas gifts can be a different thing entirely than first date gifts, but I bought her an interesting scarf, that I thought she would like, lined a small gift box with it, and laid down in it a plush fox. (I happened to know she loved foxes). So when she opened it, she got a stuffed animal lying on a bed of scarf. This all cost me about $20, which is what you might spend on a good box of chocolates, or a nice bouquet. However, two years later, she still cuddles the fox and wears the scarf when she wants to be reminded of me, and they have much greater sentimental value than some chocolates.

So, my recommendation would be to get her something, probably around $20 or less, so you don't seem to be trying too hard, but something long-lasting and unique. It gives the impression that you care enough to give her something special, that you aren't simply giving the traditional first date gifts on auto-pilot, and if things go well with her, it may well be imbued with sentimental value.

What exactly I'd recommend depends entirely on the girl in question, so that really has to be up to you. Is there anything in particular you know she happens to like?

EDIT: \/ Aaaaaand, I've changed my mind. Get her that.
    Last edited by GAThraawn; 2012-01-03 at 04:19 AM.
    Thrawn avatar by Oregano, Isard avatar by Introbulus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noedig View Post
    Sounds good. And I wish you the best. Only heed this advice: No plan survives first contact with the enemy.
    Unless you're Thrawn, in which case no enemy survives first contact with the Plan.
    0eB+0eA+0eP+0eS+0eD+0eC+0eF Dice Roller

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    This.

Alternatively, check out that link Worira posted and get a flower that is symbolic for something you like about her. A lot more personal than the standard roses.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2012-01-03 at 06:27 AM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Do you know this chick or is this the first time you've met? For a first date I'd say get flowers, but not chocolates.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Try to find out what the girl likes. Chocolate and roses say "generic woman" to me. Like you haven't put in the effort to find out what she wants. I learned this from my first girlfriend, who much preferred a book on calculus or quantum mechanics.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

You've gotten some excellent advice regarding the gifts and being cautious of not coming across as trying too hard. Rather than give any massive relevations, I'd like to expand upon a few points given.

Firstly, Savannah has a very good point regarding allergies. As others have mentioned, showing up with both flowers and chocolates on a first date can be a little overwhelming. Therefore, I'd suggest giving a single, silk (or otherwise fake) flower. A single flower is much more subtle than a whole bouquet, but still has the message of "I was thinking of you and want to make an effort". I strongly suggest studying the language of flowers as Worira linked to find something that really symbolizes the message you want to convey. It also makes for an interesting conversation point. A silk flower will not only avoid the risk of triggering allergies, it'll also potentially last forever.

You mentioned that you were under the impression that the guy always pays. Historically, that was true...but things are quite different now. Nowadays, the more general rule seems to be "the one who did the asking pays". Many women have come to see the guy insisting on paying as somewhat insulting if it's done on every single date. Given that in this case you were the one who asked her out, you should pay in this instance. However, if she seems determined to pay her own way on this or any future dates - let her.

I hope this last note comes across in the spirit with which I intend it and I apologize if not. I get the impression that you might be overthinking things a bit and falling too much into the stereotype of what a first date is "meant" to be. (Personal note: if possible, try to think of something other than a movie. Going to see a movie is a terrible first date in my opinion, since you're sitting there in the dark and not conversing - first dates should be getting to know each other). Be creative, be spontaneous...and above all, be you. Listen to everyone who has told you to try and do things unique to her, that you think she'd like. They're steering you in the right direction.

14. - Top - End - #74

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 21: Time To Go Bar-Hopping

Ugh. Anyone got any suggestions for how to get the foul taste out of one's mouth when an old flame, that one hasn't yet gotten rid of the damned torch one was carrying, gets engaged/married?

Because Pink Moscato sparkling wine that blew its top off last night isn't cutting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ugh. Anyone got any suggestions for how to get the foul taste out of one's mouth when an old flame, that one hasn't yet gotten rid of the damned torch one was carrying, gets engaged/married?

Because Pink Moscato sparkling wine that blew its top off last night isn't cutting it.
    Nope. Wish I knew (similar situation myself).

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    This isn't so much an immediate issue as it is a little piece of advice.

When suggesting, implying willingness, etc., for any act of sexytimes, please, please don't say "I'd be ok with it if you are, I guess." Seriously? It's not like choosing a restaurant. (Possibility that that's just my experience duly noted.) It's a serious, potentially life-changing decision, and is even more important when its one of the people in question's first times (it wasn't mine in this case, but still.) If all you have to say is "I'd be ok with it", I'm not really interested in taking part, especially if you're a long-term partner. I'm willing to wait until you're more than just lukewarm ambivalent.

/Rant.

I'm done, sorry, needed to get that out.
    The thing is, sometimes one just doesn't really care. I always feel it's better to be as honest as possible with matters of consent. If you're not cool with "eh, whatever," that's your business, but that's also all the more reason you should want people to say that instead of lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post

Yeah that's like, what, twelve percent? You're not going to kill your tastebuds (figurative or otherwise) until like the high forties. Get some Broker's Gin, Evan Williams Green Label, or Conquistador tequila. Unless you're feeling classier than ten dollars a bottle/fifteen a handle, then it's just the strongest brandy you can find.

On a personal note, I am in so many wonky situations so far over my head I could not even possibly hope to ask for advice. Stay tuned for very likely increasing of woes and/or confusion.
    Last edited by Vacant; 2012-01-03 at 02:16 PM.
    Serpent's Skull: Cateline Corbin

Caravan in the Sky: Dest Yonsson

Awesome Ancient Mariner avatar courtesy of Kid Kris

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyriont View Post

You mentioned that you were under the impression that the guy always pays. Historically, that was true...but things are quite different now. Nowadays, the more general rule seems to be "the one who did the asking pays". Many women have come to see the guy insisting on paying as somewhat insulting if it's done on every single date. Given that in this case you were the one who asked her out, you should pay in this instance. However, if she seems determined to pay her own way on this or any future dates - let her.
    Hmm, I haven't been off the dating scene THAT long(about 10 years, give or take a few months), and around where I live, the guy paying was still pretty standard, and some of my buddies that ARE still single, still pay for their dates, and if you were to suggest to them that the woman should pay, they would look at you like your crazy(and almost certainly say something exactly to that effect). Maybe if you live in/near a bigger city where customs are different this might be true(but even then, I would ALWAYS say the guy is responsible for the first and second date), but in smaller areas, I'd always err to the side of "Guy pays for dates".

18. - Top - End - #78

Wow, you *really* like to plans things ****WAY**** out in advance... At least, that's my impression on reading your requests for advice.

Anyway, I am with the majority above, this is a first date, get to know her, and let her get to know the real you. Do not try to impress her with gifts (for which you had to go to a bulletin board to get advice); it will most likely come off as too forward and/or not sincere.

If you insist on getting her something (because you are just the generous/giving type) make it a small, inexpensive trinket. The girl is being asked to be taken to Wendy's, methinks she's not a material girl/woman...

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Tyriont View Post
    I hope this last note comes across in the spirit with which I intend it and I apologize if not. I get the impression that you might be overthinking things a bit and falling too much into the stereotype of what a first date is "meant" to be. (Personal note: if possible, try to think of something other than a movie. Going to see a movie is a terrible first date in my opinion, since you're sitting there in the dark and not conversing - first dates should be getting to know each other). Be creative, be spontaneous...and above all, be you. Listen to everyone who has told you to try and do things unique to her, that you think she'd like. They're steering you in the right direction.
    This is the advise I have given to my sons. Good stuff. The only thing I would add is to make it fun for both of you. First dates often end there but a fun one leaves a good impression.

As far as flowers give one single red rose. It says you mean something (which is probably why you asked her out) without overwhelming her. Don't worry about allergies (goes with the over-thinking part) because you just don't know. And a good sense of humor will overcome awkwardness if she turns out to be allergic.

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by Delwugor View Post
    And a good sense of humor will overcome awkwardness if she turns out to be allergic.
    And if she *is* allergic and gets bent out of shape because you went out of your way to be romantic, but did not get a thorough background check done up, you'll know instantly to move on ;)

You mentioned this is your first date ever...just have fun and relax

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Is this someone you've known or a total stranger? I think it'll look desperate if you've purchased gifts for a total stranger. Less so if it's a friend who is willing to do v-day with you.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, first, Kindablue, that's amazing!!

Also:
    On what to get
    Flowers and chocolates are nice, if fairly generic. But when you're just getting to know someone, generic is good! I would go for one or the other. It is Valentine's Day, but it's also a first date. I'd say a gift is totally unnecessary on a first date, but such a tradition for Valentine's that if you want to, go for it. Definitely unnecessary for the family, though. A lot of people would be embarrassed that they didn't have anything for you, and you can end up in an escalating gift war. Or hurt their feelings if they can't reciprocate in kind. The best way to make a good impression is by being friendly and polite, not by throwing money or candy at them (particularly literally!). I lean towards flowers, because they're more special. Flowers mean special occasion. Chocolate is more everyday. Varies by person. I would also avoid red roses. Bit cliche and can be a bit strong for a first date. Looking up flower language is nice, but I would instead give her flowers that you yourself really like. I don't particularly care hyacinths mean "consistency of love" if I think they're ugly. Being able to say "I got you these poppies because they're my favourite flower and they match your electricity-generation cheek circles" is way nicer.

Also, I think that someone who is horrendously and angrily allergic to flowers but doesn't mention that before a traditional movie and dinner date has only themselves to blame. Throw the flowers out, get her some water, say sorry, laugh about it, pop into a shop and buy a box of chocolates to eat at the cinema in replacement, and bring her silk flowers next time.

On paying for dates
    It is tradition that the man pays, but that's a tradition that dates from a time when women basically didn't have money. The replacement of "asker pays unless askee offers to split" makes much more sense. I would say offer, on a first date (that applies to either person). If ye can't negotiate paying for movie tickets, the relationship is doomed anyway.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

for a first date i would avoid any gifts. but if you insist, make it something small.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

24. - Top - End - #84

No no no, dude. There's a reason for girls to think that "boys don't know there are other flowers besides roses". And this reason is that every time we think about giving them flowers, we choose roses. Every. Time.
    Which means that when she thinks about you, you're "one of the boys who gave me roses".
    Personally, I think giving her flowers on the first date is sweet, especially if it's on Valentine's day. But I suggest you try to be a wee bit more original. Try some other flowers. Would be nice if you ask her what flowers does she like.
    Another mistake is giving her a huuuuge bouquet. Sure, it looks good, and it feels significant. When you give, you give!
    But it's a date, and she has to carry your present around. Small flowers smell just as nice as big ones, and they're much easier to carry.
    As for candy - I wouldn't do it on first date. Maybe later.
    The last crazy minstrel.
    Creature avatar by The Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    At GITP, we don't just bite down on bait-hooks, we chew them thoroughly until the insides of our mouths are full of broken teeth, flesh-ribbons, and blood.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Okay, first, Kindablue, that's amazing!!
    Not as amazing as rainbow roses.
    Spoiler
    Show

Those aren't painted like the Pokerose appears to be, though; they actually feed the dye to them through their stems.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

26. - Top - End - #86

Buy chrysanthemums and cocoa-powdered truffles. {Scrubbed} Ladies love chrysanthemums and cocoa-powdered truffles.

Sorry, Starwulf. Internet thing.
    Last edited by Zeb The Troll; 2012-01-04 at 02:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

according to (girl i dated briefly, we're still friendly) the origami flower i gave her was rather memorable.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PallElendro View Post
    Buy chrysanthemums and cocoa-powdered truffles. Edited for appropriateness love chrysanthemums and cocoa-powdered truffles.
    I uhh, think you might want to remove the "Bitches". That's incredibly inappropriate, and I'm quite certain it's against forum rules.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-01-03 at 07:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    according to (girl i dated briefly, we're still friendly) the origami flower i gave her was rather memorable.
    This sounds awesome. I think I'll remember this for whenever I get a boyfriend (/girlfriend?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gligarman2 View Post
    14. I will not counterspell when Celestia raises the sun.
    Do you want an avatar?
    Adopt one, or ask for a custom avatar!
    Portfolio

30. - Top - End - #90

Id say a single flower, pick a pretty one. Big bouquets are kind of a special occasion type of thing imo. Plus they are a bit bulky and a pita to put in a vase without screwing up the arrangement and making it look terrible. A single flower she can just put in a glass of water and head out for your date. Candy? eh, id say at most one of those small sampler packs, or a specific set if you know what she likes. No huge boxes with 50 pieces of chocolate in them. Once again, thats the sort of thing you save for anniversaries, or other special occasions. If you had been dating her for months beforehand then it would be alright, but as a first date thing it seems a bit much, but your mileage may vary.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."