New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 75 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2550656667686970717273747576777879808182838485100125 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 4053
  1. - Top - End - #2221
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    Would anyone be lovely enough to break down the price of the different reward levels compared to how much it would be if you purchased said items from one of the online stores Rich puts his material through?

I have a point to prove and I know someone already did a similar breakdown (several times even) earlier on in the thread.

And...well...70+ pages is a lot to come through.
    I'll save you a long explanation.

If you want nothing but the books, you could get them for less through ookoodook.

However, there are a couple of kinks here.

First is shipping. Ordering the books separately increases shipping costs.

Second is SS&DT. Alot of people are getting it through this pledge. If you don't secure one now, it might not be possible to do so later.

Third is the PDFs. Since they aren't being printed (yet) Rich has no shipping costs, but only those who pledge get the file(s). If you order through Ookoodook, you won't get them.

It's easily as big as On the Origin of PCs already all together and adding that to the full set of books for a $222 pledge is a fantastic deal. Even if you discount the other little included knick-knacks.

I believe this is what previous analyses came down to. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

2. - Top - End - #2222
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Has the pace slowed down? Or has Rich just started using goals with larger jumps to slow down his commitments?

3. - Top - End - #2223
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I just updated the media tracking forum thread for the OotS campaign and discovered something surprising. We're picking up some more exposure thanks to the Double Fine drive. There have been a couple of stories, including one from the AV Club, that mentioned the Order of the Stick drive as another example of an established brand using Kickstarter.

Also, I share everyone's concerns about Rich coming out of this in a good financial position. I would much rather see him walk away with quite a bit in his bank account than get anymore rewards at this point. I understand his sense of obligation, but I personally want him to financially get a windfall from this.

4. - Top - End - #2224
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
    Has the pace slowed down? Or has Rich just started using goals with larger jumps to slow down his commitments?
    The pace has decidedly slowed down, as can be seen in the graph. however, it's still going strong, and the dip is far from as big as could have reasonably been expected.

I'm inclined to believe that the current slow rate of decrease will keep steady, so we'll raise progressively less per day but still a reasonable amount. Possibly with a little jump after the next Mystery Prize (which is less than $20,000 away now!), but not so much as previously.

I'd have hoped that we could join the newly created $1,000,000 club, but it seems that without some strong measure to shake more backers out of the woodwork, we'll have to settle for getting very close. The $800,000 range should be doable before it ends.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

5. - Top - End - #2225
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Either way Rich should be making a good bit of money from this, though not directly. Even assuming a large % of people that want to comic get it now, there will still be some that either don't have the money ATM or just don't know about the drive. And even with low internet sales for awhile, he already said he'd be shipping a good deal to gameing stores that were interested, and he gets the money up front there, doesn't have to wait till someone actually buys it from the store, so that is a guaranteed $$$ for him.

If anything the huge success of this drive could encourage more retailers to place orders/place bigger orders once the realize how popular it is.

6. - Top - End - #2226
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    The pace has decidedly slowed down, as can be seen in the graph.
    Are we looking at the same graph?
    Between 2/7-2/8 it went up about 35K
    Between 2/8-2/9 it went up about 33K
    Between 2/9-2/10 it went up about 33K

If there's a slow down, I can't see it.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2012-02-10 at 08:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #2227
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah, I can't see the slowdown you guys are talking about either. Oo

8. - Top - End - #2228
    Dwarf in the Playground

If we figure a "day" is the 24 hours from noon-noon US Eastern time, the daily totals have been approximately (rounded to the nearest thousand dollars and spoilered for length):

Spoiler
    Show
    Day 1: $47 K
    Day 2: $44 K
    Day 3: $35 K
    Day 4: $24 K
    Day 5: $41 K
    Day 6: $30 K
    Day 7: $13 K
    Day 8: $12 K
    Day 9: $60 K
    Day 10: $40 K
    Day 11: $41 K
    Day 12: $34 K
    Day 13: $26 K
    Day 14: $18 K
    Day 15: $20 K
    Day 16: $31 K
    Day 17: $27 K
    Day 18: $32 K
    Day 19: $29 K

which takes us up to noon Feb. 10th (about 8 1/2 hours ago). The last 8 1/2 hours have garnered about $10,000 which, if that pace continued, would put us at a little over $28,000 for the next day.

Other than the weekends, of which both so far have been slow (the first more than the second, but that was made up for by the addition of Don't Split the Party to the incentives which accounted for the $60,000 day), there does seem to be a longer-term slowdown as the per-day average is dropping below 30K. It is a little hard to tell due to the small sample size, though.

I'm pretty sure that if/when more pledge incentives appear, it will spike in a hurry-- certainly for the board game, if all the clamor on the comment threads is any indication. But for now, we're dealing with a mere $28K a day.

Which would still have met the original goal in two days' time. So we're doing okay, is what I'm saying.

9. - Top - End - #2229
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Question about fundraiser shwag

Well there's a swag pack now (two actually), so thank you Rich.
    "Be brave Tula and one day you too will be free!"
    -cledfb

10. - Top - End - #2230
    Pixie in the Playground

-places pledge-

Full book series, here I come. Thank you for setting this up Giant, glad I could contribute :)
    I like to argue with myself and sometimes I win but I'm a sore loser and often hurt myself when I don't.

Gamecenter/Steam ID's : taeles
    iOS Gaming : Eufloria, We Rule, Infinity Blade 2, Dark Meadow
    PC Gaming : Skyrim, KoA : Reckoning, Rage, Eve Online

11. - Top - End - #2231
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    and partly because I know Rich isn't seeing much (if any) profit off the Kickstarter drive. This way I can put some profit in his pocket too.
    That's not accurate at all. What makes you think that? He's reprinting the books. The profit comes from selling those books, not the drive itself. If you mean the pledge awards, you're paying more than the books sell for on Ookookdook already, so why would you think that isn't a profit?

I think you're taking his statement about shipping and postage too far. He's certainly going to make a profit off this drive, he's reprinted every book, which people have been demanding for years now.

12. - Top - End - #2232
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post
    That's not accurate at all. What makes you think that? He's reprinting the books. The profit comes from selling those books, not the drive itself. If you mean the pledge awards, you're paying more than the books sell for on Ookookdook already, so why would you think that isn't a profit?

I think you're taking his statement about shipping and postage too far. He's certainly going to make a profit off this drive, he's reprinted every book, which people have been demanding for years now.
    Exactly. The purpose isn't for Rich to have a big pile of money, it's an investment so he can have a bigger pile of money later on.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

13. - Top - End - #2233
    Pixie in the Playground

Ok, I'm ready to upgrade to THE WHOLE STORY. I just hope we hit the top line on the chart so I can possibly get the board game too.

14. - Top - End - #2234
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Question about fundraiser shwag

Aside: After placing my order only three days ago, my Snips arrived already today. Good job on the prompt shipping, Ookookdook!
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

15. - Top - End - #2235
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Seems like no update today :(

16. - Top - End - #2236
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaximKat View Post
    Seems like no update today :(
    Probably saving the update until we achieve Mystery Prize 6. Otherwise what is there really to say? 'No new goals met, no new rewards added, continue about your day'?

EDIT: Or what ella said. That makes sense too.
    Last edited by Belril Duskwalk; 2012-02-11 at 12:37 AM.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.
    The docks of a small fishing village. One of the character's nearly drown trying to catch a fish barehanded.
    Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
    What the DM says goes. If he says enough stupid stuff, the players go too.

17. - Top - End - #2237
    Dwarf in the Playground

From the comments thread on the kickstarter site:

Rich Burlew about 6 hours ago
    I'm not going to be able to post an update until much later (maybe even in the morning),

18. - Top - End - #2238

I was thinking maybe a digital only level might be a good thing -- It could be say $8 and not include the magnet. I only bring this up because some people might not want the magnet but feel compelled to get all of those pdfs. It saves time and effort on the giants side in that something does not need to be mailed. Plus it is a level for the paranoid out there who dont want to give an address out.

19. - Top - End - #2239
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Remember though,

When Rich sends an email asking for address and such for the magnet, just respond that you do not want the magnet, and you get to pledge the "full" 10 without anything lost to shipping.

20. - Top - End - #2240
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    Hmmm... a new digital reward... I've got it! It's an mp3 of Rich giving audio commentary to the comics.

"#833... I remember the day I wrote this. It was raining outside and I..."
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetBB View Post
    ...was waiting for my pizza to arrive, suddenly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    ...the doorbell rang so I...
    Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    ...put down my extra-large...
    ...Cintiq that all the OOTS fans over at Kickstarter INSISTED I buy for myself, unfortunately I forgot...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    ...To save my work-in-progress...
    Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    ...at which point the Rich Baker...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    ... suddenly broke through the door, yelling: "
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    ... "Who has the shoes, Bartleby? Why is my mother... sand fingers... My shoes are sand."

I...
    ...knew it was a mistake to lend them to Frank Herbert! *sobs* He even got sand in my...
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    ...squamous gill slits!" The monstrous Baker shook his fist at the sky and...
    Quote Originally Posted by darkelf View Post
    ...decried the already ridiculously long thread which was now being transmuted into yet another forum game. "Seventy-three pages!" he roared in the ancient tongue... "That's longer than...
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Sheriff: Seriously, cut it out or take it to SMBG.

And thus the great saga of Rich Baker ended and was compiled here for posterity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #2241
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    And thus the great saga of Rich Baker ended and was compiled here for posterity.
    Curses. Until I read the spoiler, I thought that was a compilation of WampaX's posts, not that forum game.

22. - Top - End - #2242
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by silvadel View Post
    I was thinking maybe a digital only level might be a good thing -- It could be say $8 and not include the magnet. I only bring this up because some people might not want the magnet but feel compelled to get all of those pdfs. It saves time and effort on the giants side in that something does not need to be mailed. Plus it is a level for the paranoid out there who dont want to give an address out.
    Rich talked about this earlier. Just put in "I don't want a magnet" in the address field. But there isn't going to be a "digital only" pledge.

Besides, I'm of the opinion that $10 is far too cheap for all the things people will be getting.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

23. - Top - End - #2243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Curses. Until I read the spoiler, I thought that was a compilation of WampaX's posts, not that forum game.
    That would take a while, seeing as how his earliest post I could find dates back almost a decade. Yes, that's the very first OOTS thread. (bottom of the first page)
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

24. - Top - End - #2244
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Exactly. The purpose isn't for Rich to have a big pile of money, it's an investment so he can have a bigger pile of money later on.
    Not to mention that even if he is only profiting by the sale of the books, getting the books through Kickstarter means that he'll be getting profit from the sale of the books all the sooner.

25. - Top - End - #2245
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Chess435 View Post
    That would take a while, seeing as how his earliest post I could find dates back almost a decade. Yes, that's the very first OOTS thread. (bottom of the first page)
    Okay, poor wording. But I meant the Legend of the Rich Baker posts woven through this thread.

26. - Top - End - #2246
    Ogre in the Playground

And that the one I've been waiting for:

See you all back here Monday, when I fully expect to be adding those board game packages. Have a nice weekend, everyone.

--Rich Burlew

I'm already in for the $25 package, and was going to kick in another $5 for a second Coloring Book. Now let's see where the Board Game falls into the mix.
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

27. - Top - End - #2247
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Not only that, but by the time any of the books sell out, he'll hopefully have enough money banked to do a reprint after only a few months, instead of a few years.

28. - Top - End - #2248

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chess435 View Post
    Also in that thread: the very first discussion on V's gender (page 2). It's a thing of beauty
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

29. - Top - End - #2249
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    Also in that thread: the very first discussion on V's gender (page 2). It's a thing of beauty
    Indeed. The acceptance of the ambiguity is my favorite part.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    But seriously, if I ever figure out a way to do plushies, Haley and Elan are at the top of the list. They would just be sooooo cute.

We need these. We need these nine years ago. Or for a future kickstarter.

Also, WampaX managed to steer discussion toward a particular hentai film after the spiked tentacles of forced intrusion it.

The wild west days of the playground, my friends!
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2012-02-11 at 12:31 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

30. - Top - End - #2250

Roy is going to fall straight through the top of the graph and land on the dragon, isn't he?
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!